Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, RLBH said:

After about two years of planning and procrastinating, I've finally got some modelling done. Hopefully the denizens of this thread won't mind me sharing.

IMG_20200129_203654.jpg.d8c4cf12439d40a2047afa96c8db9a1d.jpg

It may just be a BR 12 ton van, and is definitely full of mistakes that I (hopefully) won't make on the next one. But as a total novice working in 1:148 scale, I'm very happy that it rolls along the track, looks vaguely like what it's meant to be, and none of my fingers are stuck together.

Strike while the iron is hot, and get it painted and decaled!

regards Eric

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

As it happens, my next effort did have a train coming North, and having seen Tony's solution. I did a bit more shopping too.

207972611_35LB35.JPG.c07a8cf44e7de8c6e8ec6bf1abe88a54.JPG

I think this is one of the best shots I've ever seen on LB, Gilbert.

If only Geoff had pulled off that Down fast home! 

There's always a snag, isn't there? 

Best regards,

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think this is one of the best shots I've ever seen on LB, Gilbert.

If only Geoff had pulled off that Down fast home! 

There's always a snag, isn't there? 

Best regards,

Tony.

I have been called many things but never a snag before.

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, Chamby said:

The track work looks great from this angle, Tony.  And the rodding.

How easy would it be just to blur the image under the arches?  Maintain some colouring but remove the detail that makes the curve obvious...  Although from that very low angle, the curve looks inoffensive to me.

Thanks Phil,

Though the credit for the trackwork should go to Norman Solomon.

It was vital that the 90 degree curves at both ends of the GN were out of sight. The scenic section on LB is actually 14" short of dead scale (I live with that, especially as it's 'lost' over 26'). By extending the scenic section around the curves would have meant it being dead scale, but that would have been absurd - this is, after all, the fastest stretch of main line in the realm! 

I know there are obvious space limitations for most layouts, but visible, sharp 90 degree curves ruin realism in my view (though I have to accept them on the M&GNR bit).

Speaking of the M&GNR bit of LB, Dave Wager has almost completed the girder bridge.

Final clearance tests were conducted this evening and the results sent to him.

1569043874_MGNRbridge16.jpg.daac1243731ab7b7b6ee08e920fb2ed0.jpg

The DELTIC is my tallest vehicle, and also one of my oldest models - 40+ years and counting..........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We did indeed get a Blue Peter Badge.  

The first one is here:

The second filming was a disaster as we had a live derailment. The third and fourth were excellent; indeed, the fourth featured green screen work, scaling the presenters down in size to the model: this included Matt Baker.  

I am sure there is a good TV documentary to be made about our layout and the locality. 

Tim

Nice to see Mark Curry presenting, who I think was a bit of an enthusiast himself.  I sat across from him on the Scarborough Spa Express in 1986.

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Hmmmm I wonder why it didn’t work for me, it’s worked the last two times I’ve shared a video from my Facebook page....

No good asking me why it didn't work, Jesse!

Any chance of seeing the other clips?

Regards,

Your computer-illiterate friend.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

No good asking me why it didn't work, Jesse!

Any chance of seeing the other clips?

Regards,

Your computer-illiterate friend.

Hmmmm must investigate, I’ll try and put them all into one video and post it, hopefully with more success. 

In the meantime, feast your eyes, I’ve been working on this whilst waiting for the bogies for the luggage brake. 

8101BFF8-DB51-4A7C-AB22-6751DFA819D2.jpeg.484e08125d8f10fa227a7887ac3e61dd.jpeg

I feel like I’m becoming more confident with brass, still need more practice, but she rolls like no tomorrow, far better then anything else I’ve built actually. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Good on you Jesse, I have found brass is cleaner and sharper to deal with as a kit for rolling stock. More singed fingers and solder does creep into half etched lines with is hard to get back out! The van above looks great. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Nice to see Mark Curry presenting, who I think was a bit of an enthusiast himself.  I sat across from him on the Scarborough Spa Express in 1986.

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s it seemed to me it was compulsory for the male presenters to have an interest in railways. John Noakes and Peter Purves both made programmes about railways. Simon Groom was definitely an enthusiast and had a production company which made documentaries about railways including one on Flying Scotsman and another on saving Derby Roundhouse. 

Jason

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Hmmmm must investigate, I’ll try and put them all into one video and post it, hopefully with more success. 

In the meantime, feast your eyes, I’ve been working on this whilst waiting for the bogies for the luggage brake. 

8101BFF8-DB51-4A7C-AB22-6751DFA819D2.jpeg.484e08125d8f10fa227a7887ac3e61dd.jpeg

I feel like I’m becoming more confident with brass, still need more practice, but she rolls like no tomorrow, far better then anything else I’ve built actually. 

Great stuff Jesse,

You're producing models to a higher standard than I was doing at your age!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Somewhat belatedly I know, but at long last I've all but completed a project I have been working on which I would now like to share with friends on Wright Writes.  This has been all about filling two of the gaps in the kit market for J7 class locomotives needed for our Clayton GN project at Shipley MRS.  I have at last built both prototype models and will shortly be despatching them for painting after they have been striped down and thoroughly cleaned.  The first, which to my mind is the better proportioned of the two, represents a 1081 series J7 with a 4' 5" diameter boiler and the later Ivatt cab.   The second represents a J7 having received a large 4' 8" boiler similar to those fitted to the J3's.  

Sir has mentioned a number of times that many of his locomotives need to be capable of pulling heavy kit built prototype length trains around LB.  On Clayton GN we have an additional challenge of a 1:50 gradient on a curve for the first 20 feet of the scenic section.  After a bit of experimentation it became clear that model locomotives of the size that ran on the Queensbury lines and built in the traditional way are going to struggle to pull more than about 18 wagons up the gradient.  We have had to get creative in order to be capable of running trains of a prototypical length on our train set.  These models have therefore been designed with their motors fitted in the tender and a driveshaft below footplate level running forward to a gearbox under the cab.   The firebox, boiler and smokebox have been packed with lead to maximise the weight and therefore the hauling potential of these models.  The smaller of the two has successfully pulled a 24 wagon train up the gradient without slipping and the larger one whilst still to be tested should be capable of more.

The main challenge for me has been the design of the drive train.  It took a while to track down a gearbox sufficiently compact to fit fully under the cab.  The breakthrough was visiting the High Level Kits stand at Expo EM and seeing  

Chris's Road Runner Compact+ gearbox on display.  The gearbox in these models is therefore derived from High Level's RRC+ but the HL frame itself has been replaced with a bespoke unit the final version of which (currently on order from the etchers) will be fitted with ball races on the input shaft.  I am very grateful to Chris at High Level for supplying the various gears and for his advice and guidance on how to calculate the dimensions for accurate meshing.

As is standard for me these models are built to EM gauge, use American pick up for current collection, are compensated (CSB method), and use plastic centred wheels with their rims shorted out to the axle.  The draw bar carries the current collected from the nearside rail through the locomotive's frames to the motor in the tender so no wiggly pickups to worry about fitting anywhere.  I can hear Sir muttering under his breath with regards such eccentricities but he knows that I enjoy building things this way and I'm too old to change my ways.

Its been two challenging years to research, design, and build these models so I hope you like them.  I have derived enormous satisfaction in doing so and am about to start it all again so that we can have a couple of J1's for the layout.  I've done several other things at the same time including building the fiddle yard points for Clayton and wiring the entire layout.  I must also admit to a relapse and spending some time EM'ing a Heljan 47xx (Night Owl) for our Hungerford layout.  This included complete replacement of the pony truck, cylinders, slide bars and cross heads.   I'll try not to fall off the wagon again before the stock for Clayton is built but old habits die hard.

690816792_J7-1091Series-SemiComplete.JPG.7489d2c9ef824566811160aaa9b7ccb1.JPG

1021 Series J7 with 4' 5" Boiler.  Still to receive a replacement smokebox dart and the valve chest cover plate in front of the smokebox saddle when this picture was taken. 

IMG_1695.jpg.adabdb67495d9787d8da3fa05af2c7d3.jpg

J7 with 4' 8" (J3) boiler.  

1124320013_IMG_17001.jpg.c7f54e815ae641c7d2e0cfa0de735cce.jpg

A view of the locomotive's frames to illustrate how compact the High Level RRC+ gearbox can be.  This gear box is soon to be rebuilt with ball races to replace the brass bushes in which the input shaft revolves.   The universal joint socket on the back of the box is a Markit's product that has been shortened slightly to fit the available space.  The thin phosphor bronze wire on the draw bar is to ensure good electrical contact between the draw bar and the tender's draw bar pin.  I have included a cosmetic representation of the valve gear to fill the void at the front of the frames.

IMG_0840.JPG.13a653283fef83fd4a8624f5f7e41825.JPG

The frames of the tender are also from a bespoke etch in order to provide the mounts for the ball races in which the drive shaft revolves and the motor and vertical gear train.  I have been experimenting with this 'cube' motor at the recommendation of Mike Edge.  It appears to be a very nice piece of kit and whilst it is not only powerful for its size it draws very little current much like a coreless motor but at a fraction of the cost.

Regards,

Frank 

Fantastic stuff, Frank,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

Just now, queensquare said:

Spotted on Bath shed at the recent Stevenage show was this beauty. 2mm modelling at its very best.

Jerry

849986781_IMG_0176(2).JPG.bab6110b2cead6f30f8179abae565356.JPG

With this, and with what Chuffer has just shown, has there ever been higher standards of modelling on Wright Writes?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Tony,

you said "The DELTIC is my tallest vehicle, and also one of my oldest models - 40+ years and counting.........."

I am guessing it's a Kitmaster Body on a stretched Lima chassis.I was going to say with a Tom Wright built chassis but as he is about the same age range as the Locomotive, I think not.

Regards,Derek.

45 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Spotted on Bath shed at the recent Stevenage show was this beauty. 2mm modelling at its very best.

Jerry

849986781_IMG_0176(2).JPG.bab6110b2cead6f30f8179abae565356.JPG

I knew that the GC Atlantics got far into the South West before grouping, but a four-cylinder at Bath is certainly "different".

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Great stuff Jesse,

You're producing models to a higher standard than I was doing at your age!

Regards,

Tony. 

May I toot my own horn? 

You say that I’m producing models of a Hight standard at the moment, imagine what the models I’ll be turning out with 50 years under my belt.....I’ll have a reputation to protect. 

Thanks for the comments regardless Tony, it entered the paint shop this afternoon, I must consult JW on what colour it should be. 

Hopefully it’s finished by the end of the weekend, I’ll be sure to post a photo of it painted. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Does the motor run quite hot? The ones I have used do although it doesn't seem to affect peformance.

Hi Michael,

you did mention this at the time we discussed the motors but I have not attempted to check this out as the motor has been inaccessible when I’ve been test running the loco on Clayton.   The tender’s body didn’t heat up nor were there any worrying smells.  The motor seems quite happy to chug away all day long without showing any signs of stress so that’ll do for me.  I have noted that they are slow revving and so need a low ratio gear train.  I’m using 30:1 which is ideal for an unfitted goods but not fast enough for much else.  

Thanks for the recommendation.

Frank

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Michael,

you did mention this at the time we discussed the motors but I have not attempted to check this out as the motor has been inaccessible when I’ve been test running the loco on Clayton.   The tender’s body didn’t heat up nor were there any worrying smells.  The motor seems quite happy to chug away all day long without showing any signs of stress so that’ll do for me.  I have noted that they are slow revving and so need a low ratio gear train.  I’m using 30:1 which is ideal for an unfitted goods but not fast enough for much else.  

Thanks for the recommendation.

Frank

There are at least two sizes of these motors, are you using the 16mm square variety?

• RMweb Premium

This is the bigger one, I've used the small one in a couple of locos but one failed. As Frank says the big one gets quite hot but there's no burning smell and none of these has failed yet.

Continuing in the same vein I've used some n30 motors recently with complete success so far, no heating, minimal current consumption and no failures yet.

• Like 1