Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

May I ask if anyone can identify loco 2114 pre 1948; a 2.8.0. with Westinghouse gear fitted off- side smokebox and probably at Thrumpton Loco and what was its' number in BR days if it survived until then? Looks like a Robinson 2.8.0. to me and I am sorry but the photo I have will not upload.

Tony, if it is OK I shall return some items, long overdue, to you at Donny on Sunday if that is convenient?

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask if anyone can identify loco 2114 pre 1948; a 2.8.0. with Westinghouse gear fitted off- side smokebox and probably at Thrumpton Loco and what was its' number in BR days if it survived until then? Looks like a Robinson 2.8.0. to me and I am sorry but the photo I have will not upload.

Tony, if it is OK I shall return some items, long overdue, to you at Donny on Sunday if that is convenient?

ATB

Phil

BRdatabase lists 2114 as an ex-NER B14 2-6-0 scrapped in 1930 and last based at Hull.  The number was apparently not allocated in Thompson’s 1946 renumbering and therefore didn’t exist with a 6- prefix in BR ownership.  

Are you sure about the number?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

From the description, it almost certainly is a Robinson 2-8-0 and is liable to be ROD No 2114, built by NBL in 1919 and latterly GWR No 3045.  It was withdrawn prior to 1948.

Sources: RCTS vol 6B; Loco Profile No 2; Steam Locomotives of British Railways (Casserley).

D

• Agree 2

On 31/01/2020 at 14:49, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Deltic detail nick picking time.

Numbers D9016 and D9021 have the wrong type of yellow panel. The bottom corners should be square not rounded. Rounded bottom corners were only applied to Finsbury park locos, gradually having these replaced with square bottom corners to the panel. Except D9020 which was delivered with square bottom corners. Which brings me on to roof mounted warning horns, both D9020 and D9021 were delivered with these fitted, does your model represent D9021 after these were removed as it is running post November 1963 when it was named. I think it ran for a time with name plates and roof horns.

D9016 seems to have acquired air brake pipes, it didn't do so until October 1967, 9 months after being painted blue.

Dear me, dear me, Clive,

My most humble apologies for such appalling acts of wanton transgression. Ignorance was bliss, and you were quite right to 'nit-pick' (I've never heard of 'nick pick'. What is that, please?).

I think you've forgotten that D9019 also had roof-mounted horns on delivery. As for whether D9021 is right without its roof-mounted horns, I must plead complete ignorance.

Note to self: never, ever again post pictures of models of Deltics!!!!!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

It was good to see you and John as well.

We were very busy, and Mo and I made over £60.00 for CRUK. May I please thank all those who donated most-generously? The highlight was when I got a big blue GORDON working again for a small boy. 'Scale modelling' indeed!

1775899683_Mystand02.jpg.72f4effa95790802e5959a736f0a6ea4.jpg

I was given a substantial amount of space, and we hardly had a time when folk weren't looking or asking questions (this was taken just before the show opened yesterday morning). It was a real privilege to be invited. 

May I please thank all the Stafford members for putting on such an exceptional show?

Best in show for me?

1885587085_HarlynPier02.jpg.9cb9de33c1a6fd050143058955b19413.jpg

635112376_HarlynPier04A.jpg.a56a61752ea45200051d2c845fe3e20c.jpg

Harlyn Pier in O Gauge by Peter Beckley. Look out for it in a future issue of BRM.......

Regards,

Tony.  

Nit-picking time again...

Isn't the sea horizon a little high?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nit-picking time again...

Isn't the sea horizon a little high?

The tide's in.

(Actually the tide is out on Harlyn Pier and the modelling of the exposed mud in the harbour is strikingly good.)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The tide's in.

(Actually the tide is out on Harlyn Pier and the modelling of the exposed mud in the harbour is strikingly good.)

Understood, but the sea horizon should be at the observer's eye level. In Tony's second photo, the camera (eye) is about level with the lower edge of the coach windows, yet the horizon is much higher. Similarly, in the third photo, the camera is roughly level with the shunter in the distance but the horizon is, again, much higher. Actually, I suspect that it's something that's almost impossible to get right on a model unless the viewpoint is very heavily constrained.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

It was good to see you and John as well.

We were very busy, and Mo and I made over £60.00 for CRUK. May I please thank all those who donated most-generously? The highlight was when I got a big blue GORDON working again for a small boy. 'Scale modelling' indeed!

1775899683_Mystand02.jpg.72f4effa95790802e5959a736f0a6ea4.jpg

I was given a substantial amount of space, and we hardly had a time when folk weren't looking or asking questions (this was taken just before the show opened yesterday morning). It was a real privilege to be invited. 

May I please thank all the Stafford members for putting on such an exceptional show?

Best in show for me?

1885587085_HarlynPier02.jpg.9cb9de33c1a6fd050143058955b19413.jpg

635112376_HarlynPier04A.jpg.a56a61752ea45200051d2c845fe3e20c.jpg

Harlyn Pier in O Gauge by Peter Beckley. Look out for it in a future issue of BRM.......

Regards,

Tony.  

I’d never argue with that choice. I’ve seen it several times and always stay and watch for quite a while. It’s a superb layout.

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Understood, but the sea horizon should be at the observer's eye level. .... Actually, I suspect that it's something that's almost impossible to get right on a model unless the viewpoint is very heavily constrained.

Agreed - when viewing the layout from the 'normal' observer's level at an exhibition, i.e., standing, the viewpoint is well above platform level so the horizon looks about right. Mind you, I'm 6ft 4in tall so I may be biased?

I also agree with Flying Pig about the modelling of the mud and sand with the tide out - exceptionally good I thought, as is the exposed rock at the end of the pier.

Yes, Tony, I eventually found Dad being entertained royally by the Bala lake railway people and not bothered about not having seen me for a while at all.

Dave   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Actually, I suspect that it's something that's almost impossible to get right on a model unless the viewpoint is very heavily constrained.

It probably is for a water horizon - distant hills are a lot more accommodating.  Buildings in perspective are the worst in this respect and can look very unnatural if viewed from the 'wrong' height.  On the whole, though, the backscene of Harlyn Pier is outstandingly good in the way it blends with the modelling and conveys a sense of space.  The builder spent several minutes telling me that he had no artistic skill and that it was essentially a painting by numbers excersise but I remain unconvinced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2019 at 14:21, Darryl Tooley said:

The owner of the Dennis Seabrook Collection has loaned it to the LNER Society for digitisation, which is more or less complete, and cataloguing, which isn't.  There are about 4,000 images in the collection, the majority of which are portraits of ex-LNER and constituent carriages in the 1950s.  There are eight photographs of E1225E taken over a number of years.

The corridor side appears unaltered; the kitchen side has been modified as indicated by Robert, such that, reading from right to left, there are 14 panels between the second seating bay window, and the first kitchen window.

Most of the photographs show the earlier BR livery, with gas tanks amidships on either side; one photograph in the later livery shows battery boxes there.

All photographs show Gresley bogies of course, but HD at the kitchen end only throughout.

Darryl,

This is going back a bit, but I’ve finally finished my take on the rebuilt D.16 RKB, E1225E. I started by making a diagram from the photos you sent, for which many thanks again.

F553AC6B-3A70-47FB-B8A6-4A01D310CD8F.jpeg.f34f733a3915be570bd3d662c5534341.jpeg

And then cut and shut bit of Kirk kits to make the sides. Here is the finished coach.

0C4542EC-8B7A-472A-86B7-57C33239DDB7.jpeg.c165371bbe70b86e1835b429288ea4e8.jpeg93686A8D-DF27-4F72-A893-AEF02320B394.jpeg.72f4e2b8f070be820acc0e7d57ffd4cb.jpeg

The sides are slightly wonky in this cruel close up, but that’s somewhat inevitable given the number of cuts and shuts. I chose E1225E because several of your photos showed it at Bounds Green or nearby, so I assume it was used on the GN.

More details of the build for anyone interested are available on my workbench thread, starting here

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

It probably is for a water horizon - distant hills are a lot more accommodating.  Buildings in perspective are the worst in this respect and can look very unnatural if viewed from the 'wrong' height.  On the whole, though, the backscene of Harlyn Pier is outstandingly good in the way it blends with the modelling and conveys a sense of space.  The builder spent several minutes telling me that he had no artistic skill and that it was essentially a painting by numbers excersise but I remain unconvinced.

I think most modellers set their horizon lines too high for their layout (mountain scenes excepted).  A lower horizon will give a greater feeling of distance. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It's probably a bit high to the left, but so what?

Just rejoice in the superlative modelling! 

There's a Monet in the Courthauld gallery where the sea horizon line is higher on one side of the painting than the other, so it's in good company.

Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I thought it was an excellent layout with the added bonus of the Devil's pannier present.

549216251_DSCN6206(2).JPG.e70229701055be57e7692eddce04db63.JPG932745866_DSCN6211(2).JPG.95537e9e3ba650414bc9a362e8a66bb7.JPG

That pannier was the last I saw in service in the west; shedded at Exmouth Junction around 1965 I think it was.     Fine looking model. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

There's a Monet in the Courthauld gallery where the sea horizon line is higher on one side of the painting than the other, so it's in good company.

Al

So how do you stop the water pouring out at one end?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3