Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

1022416480_ROD(2).jpg.8ded5245b8b54e7f89a4097839ff2b83.jpg

Thought it was ROD so thanks; great info. I am going to try to get the phot sorted so I can post  it here.

Phil,

Surely that's a 2-8-0 in your photograph and I thought all ROD's were 2-8-0's. Are you sure about the number ?

I trust your health is improving with a planned trip into Lincolnshire.

Regards,Derek.

• Thanks 1

Two different sea levels are a dangerous sign here on the West Coast Main Line (of California). ;) I'll have to check, but I think I can stand on the track and see the ocean horizon from Grover Beach. Definitely can further south towards Santa Barbara. And of course very much a Pacific Electric thing. :)

Personally I'd love to model Southend Pier back in its electric days. But it's not something that would compress easily.

Andy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Darryl,

This is going back a bit, but I’ve finally finished my take on the rebuilt D.16 RKB, E1225E. I started by making a diagram from the photos you sent, for which many thanks again.

F553AC6B-3A70-47FB-B8A6-4A01D310CD8F.jpeg.f34f733a3915be570bd3d662c5534341.jpeg

And then cut and shut bit of Kirk kits to make the sides. Here is the finished coach.

0C4542EC-8B7A-472A-86B7-57C33239DDB7.jpeg.c165371bbe70b86e1835b429288ea4e8.jpeg93686A8D-DF27-4F72-A893-AEF02320B394.jpeg.72f4e2b8f070be820acc0e7d57ffd4cb.jpeg

The sides are slightly wonky in this cruel close up, but that’s somewhat inevitable given the number of cuts and shuts. I chose E1225E because several of your photos showed it at Bounds Green or nearby, so I assume it was used on the GN.

More details of the build for anyone interested are available on my workbench thread, starting here

Andy

Interesting to see one of these modelled. One ran briefly in The South Yorkshireman and there was also one in the Harwich-Liverpool train (as far west as Sheffield) in the mid to late 1950s. I wonder if Isinglass might be able to do 3D printed sides.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That pannier was the last I saw in service in the west; shedded at Exmouth Junction around 1965 I think it was.     Fine looking model. 

It is Phil,

I love the natural dings and dents.............

40624956_HarlynPier17.jpg.98dec14ed8ad163e56b6bc60605c4d60.jpg

P.S. Arrangements you suggest will be fine.......

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 31/01/2020 at 16:04, great northern said:

I'm coming towards the end of the photos I took at LB, and have not been assisted by my PC's decision to scramble all the consecutive numbers I had so carefully given them. As a result, I can't remember what I've posted and what I haven't.

I'm pretty sure I haven't shown this one though.

1951251683_49LB49.JPG.412b19b07ada712223e78c10bb9884aa.JPG

I'm sure Tony will be able to tell us whose house it may have been.

What a lovely shot, Gilbert,

Thanks for posting........

Richard Wilson's scenic work looks rather good around it........

It was the stationmaster's house, now a private residence and (though quite a bit altered) happily still stands.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Interesting to see one of these modelled. One ran briefly in The South Yorkshireman and there was also one in the Harwich-Liverpool train (as far west as Sheffield) in the mid to late 1950s. I wonder if Isinglass might be able to do 3D printed sides.

Speaking of Isinglass and 3D-Printing, I have the Pigeon Van to review for BRM......

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Isinglass would be better than my attempt, but they tend to only produce things for which they have a drawing, and they don’t have one for the rebuilt D.16 RKBs (I checked before I did my own rather rough attempt).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, great northern said:

Tempting fate maybe, but I doubt this view of LB has been seen before. Thanks to the nice lady who allowed me into her back garden to take this, and I hope I didn't step on any of her plants.

51_LB_51.JPG.b6dc07d49a82daff889168d21d862cd4.JPG

I think one can see why it hasn't been a popular spot for photographers or spotters.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think one can see why it hasn't been a popular spot for photographers or spotters.

However, even country stations had character back then. I know many still do, however where replacement or new stations are introduced these days, they are so utilitarian. Hey ho.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Tempting fate maybe, but I doubt this view of LB has been seen before. Thanks to the nice lady who allowed me into her back garden to take this, and I hope I didn't step on any of her plants.

51_LB_51.JPG.b6dc07d49a82daff889168d21d862cd4.JPG

Splendid stuff Gilbert,

If I tried to get this shot, I'd crush Richard Wilson's lovely garden!

Regards,

Tony. 

I hope to get started on the Isinglass Pigeon Van before long............

1999661368_IsinglassPigeonVan01.jpg.af91f543e01b892d65f7e3789dd7fcb1.jpg

It would appear to be very accurate.

From time to time, I'm given 'curiosities'.

767808174_3F01.jpg.762621f09ed8870104cdcc10447cf289.jpg

Just like this, given to me by Trevor Page at the Stafford Show. It was given to his father years ago. 

As to its origins, it appears to be scratch-built in brass and plastic(!), mainly glued together(!). 

It's been built in EM, but I'll build an OO set of frames and see what it comes out like. A 3F on the M&GNR bit of LB? Possibly? 

1359936178_Trainsrunning673F.jpg.516ff5d09d2913962c447a928c5617ba.jpg

One certainly ran when LB was backdated 80 years 18 months ago.

1565465550_Bachmann3F4325731-626A.jpg.5207fd3210131110cadbce0120e9b6bb.jpg

Of course, one could ask why bother tinkering with a bit of personal antiquity, especially when Bachmann makes a 3F as good as this........

Assuming anything will be coming out of China right now!

Another friend gave me another curiosity at Stafford....

E2.jpg.9db1233ef57748070334d3011874b27a.jpg

Built from a cast kit (SEF?), 'See what you can get for it on behalf of CRUK'. 

I've got it running sweetly, so we'll see.........

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Here are photos of four structures I have built for my club's newest layout Phoenix Lane, appearing for its first ever outing at Model Rail Scotland later this month. Hope you don't mind a set of photos with no rolling stock in them Tony.

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

This is wonderful work, Archie,

Thanks so much for showing us all. 

Just one (or three) thing(s) puzzles (puzzle) me. Why, when you can model to this high-standard, did you need me to build an A7 and a K3 for you, and buy a ready-built A2/1 off me?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I hope to get started on the Isinglass Pigeon Van before long............

Another friend gave me another curiosity at Stafford....

E2.jpg.9db1233ef57748070334d3011874b27a.jpg

Built from a cast kit (SEF?), 'See what you can get for it on behalf of CRUK'. 

I've got it running sweetly, so we'll see.........

That loco would look nice in blue.

Pigeon van? Potentially contentious words, but probably safe in this environment.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

This is wonderful work, Archie,

Thanks so much for showing us all. 

Just one (or three) thing(s) puzzles (puzzle) me. Why, when you can model to this high-standard, did you need me to build an A7 and a K3 for you, and buy a ready-built A2/1 off me?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

it is something called WMMP - Wheeled Model Making Phobia - whereby modeller makers who can create excellent layouts, buildings, scenery, etc. are unable to contemplate with the idea of building working locomotives or rolling stock. It seems to becoming increasingly popular common.

Jol

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

it is something called WMMP - Wheeled Model Making Phobia - whereby modeller makers who can create excellent layouts, buildings, scenery, etc. are unable to contemplate with the idea of building working locomotives or rolling stock. It seems to becoming increasingly popular common.

Jol

As our vastly over-regulated, elf n safety obsessed system now seeks at every opportunity to dumb-down the younger generations who might otherwise have developed practical / technical / mechanical skills, so that they can only think of themselves as buyers from "experts" rather than able to have a go for themselves, it is hardly surprising is it?

The misconception that is fostered by the system is that one has to be an expert before it is at all safe to attempt something. Yet the only way to gain expertise is to have a go and learn from the results, good or bad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

A slight aside to this, if I may.

There are people who will willingly make excellent layouts, really top class stuff, who will fail their own standards when it comes to making things like locomotives or rolling stock. To complement the layout standard, the modeller 'might' go a bit further afield to have what that person might like. 

A modern version of a person having a nice house, and a Ferrari on the driveway. You might have created  one, but probably not the other!

Happy modelling/collecting/admiring/operating

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

Jol

I suspect that the converse is also common.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

Jol

If my observations at shows over the last two or three years are anything to go by, there are far too many layouts (in my opinion) which seem to have excellent scenic/architectural work, yet, when it comes to locos/rolling stock, are populated by the product of just 'opening boxes'! 

Speaking with a friend at Stafford over the weekend he expressed the view that we both had 17 A1s. A coincidence? Except all of his were Bachmann, in some cases renumbered/renamed. He can't build locos, so he gets others to alter them for him.

Some little time ago, another friend visited Little Bytham and (almost-proudly) announced 'I must have nearly as many locos as you, Tony'. Except, none of them is his work. 

Why do I mention these examples? Not to boast, I assure you, and I'm not claiming that what I've built are necessarily better, but it would seem that many modellers seem to think that it's more difficult to build locos and rolling stock than it is to do the 'pretty stuff' on their layouts. The latter-mentioned friend is very good at scenic modelling, yet can't build locos/stock for toffee! 

Regarding RTR (often brought up on this thread - I wonder why?), Mo is rather concerned about my apparent hypocrisy (do what one is good at, I say). Hypocrisy inasmuch as in one minute I'm praising/promoting RTR by my writings/appearances in DVDs and then in the next being critical that there's such a plethora of it.

I'll always advocate folk making things for themselves, yet I'm happy to help RTR manufacturers where and when I can. Poacher? Gamekeeper?

I suppose the ultimate irony is where those who've made/had made for them models of locos/stock previously unavailable RTR, now look glum when they know that 'anyone' can have these 'rarities'. The forthcoming Hornby Thompson Pacifics spring to mind.........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

As our vastly over-regulated, elf n safety obsessed system now seeks at every opportunity to dumb-down the younger generations who might otherwise have developed practical / technical / mechanical skills, so that they can only think of themselves as buyers from "experts" rather than able to have a go for themselves, it is hardly surprising is it?

The misconception that is fostered by the system is that one has to be an expert before it is at all safe to attempt something. Yet the only way to gain expertise is to have a go and learn from the results, good or bad.

I wonder how many Secondary Schools actually teach Metalwork and Woodwork now?  Using Lathes, Saws, Chisels, Brazing equipment etc.? 

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

I wonder how many Secondary Schools actually teach Metalwork and Woodwork now?  Using Lathes, Saws, Chisels, Brazing equipment etc.? 

There is a lathe at my stepchildren's school, when asked do the children use the lathe the reply was "non of the tech teachers know how to use it, that's why its in the corner gathering dust ". I must admit my old school didn't have a lathe, but I volunteered on the East Lancashire Railway and helped in the standard 4 (80097) where I was taught how to use a lathe, only basic stuff but they taught me how to use it correctly.

• Like 5