Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, DougN said:

St Enodoc, we have to encourage Woodcock29 to have some scenery completed by September! :derisive:

Andrew we know you have retired so you should have  heaps of time to get all of the rolling stock done and some scenery.:D 

I have a bit of an aim to have 2x V2's done by that time. Though I am a bit concerned with the idea of getting the lining done. 

I even had a discussion about the section that I'm having difficulty with after our running session yesterday. (I have actually done some scenery which John will attest to)

I'm even hopeful I'll have a couple of months to get more done from July onwards, once I've completed all I need to do for Gavin's Spirsby. Although I'll be going to Gold Coast for a couple of weeks in late July.

Lining of two V2s in LNER green is not difficult with HMRS Pressfix lining.

Encourage, encourage!

Andrew

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I even had a discussion about the section that I'm having difficulty with after our running session yesterday. (I have actually done some scenery which John will attest to)

I'm even hopeful I'll have a couple of months to get more done from July onwards, once I've completed all I need to do for Gavin's Spirsby. Although I'll be going to Gold Coast for a couple of weeks in late July.

Lining of two V2s in LNER green is not difficult with HMRS Pressfix lining.

Encourage, encourage!

Andrew

Remember,

There's Bachmann's RTR V2 coming later this year (or early next year), at least one of which will be in LNER green.

I state the above, as a dyed-in-the-wool builder (not an RTR-user), because it's more accurate in detail than any V2 I've ever built (20+). 

I wonder if the Finney V2 caters for the offset lubricators or the opposite opening of the cab roof ventilators? It should have the internal splashers.......

Regards,

Tony. 

Well Tony I have just purchased the Irwell press book on the V2's so I have been starting to research more on the "standard V2" and then there is the timing of the modifications. The 2 that I am building will be sheded at York. 

The splashers are included and quite straight forward or ward to install and achieve the correct angle. I will check on the ventilators but I am pretty sure the offset lubricators is a install issue! 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

A couple of kits, one finished and the other not too far away from the finishing line.

The DJH B16 made its unpainted debut at Little Bytham last Autumn with the painting completed in early Winter. The K4 from Dave Alexander was then started and is now awaiting painting which may take some time as I spray the locos outside, which is not practical at present due to the extreme weather conditions, so it is now on to a few Parkside wagon kits to keep the activity going!

440947809_B16.161456(1).JPG.8f07e765ad32cc1e8cc99d5804f0cef1.JPG

612133966_K4(2).JPG.a97ac181335c6d718b1e46cf7775be1f.JPG

Lovely models, Merlin. I have a K4 to build at some point soon. Dave's kits are usually very straightforward - I presume this was true for your K4?

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mark

The kit went together fine, the only thing to look out for is that the numbers of the parts on the frets do not match up with the numbers on the instructions! Dave must have noticed this when everything was printed and he has noted the sheets accordingly.

As a matter of interest the smokebox/boiler/firebox in this later kit produced round about 6 years ago is etched whereas they were whitemetal in his earlier kit from the early 90s.

Eric

Enigmatic naming and numbering of parts is a familiar theme following my recent build of a test etch from a different source, following "not fully developed" instructions...

Interesting opposite philosophy above to some DJH kits which have a cast boiler with etched cab.

The K4 looks very nice indeed, Eric. The loss of Dave's kits is a real shame,,especially as he was about to produce a North Tyneside Emu Artic set before he became ill.

I think most of his kits had replacement etched boilers, produced for him by 52F Models. I found this a bit strange, as the DJH and SEF arrangement made more sense, giving an etched cab with thinner sides but retaining a heavy whitemetal boiler just where you need the weight. Either way ,his kits are a pleasure to build, though I understand there is the odd inaccuracy.

He updated his K4 chassis a few years ago, and was selling the older main etch for £1 at local shows. I took 5 off his hands..

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

Mark

The kit went together fine, the only thing to look out for is that the numbers of the parts on the frets do not match up with the numbers on the instructions! Dave must have noticed this when everything was printed and he has noted the sheets accordingly.

As a matter of interest the smokebox/boiler/firebox in this later kit produced round about 6 years ago is etched whereas they were whitemetal in his earlier kit from the early 90s.

Eric

Hi Eric

Many thanks for that.

I think that mine was possibly the very last K4 kit that Dave had, so hopefully I'll have the etched boiler etc too :) :)

Cheers

Mark

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

. . . . they’re not part of the master plan am I wasting valuable modelling time?

That's what I tend to worry about. Well, maybe not worry, but have some concern about.

Perhaps I should be getting on with necessary and planned models rather than spending time on frivolous projects? After all I do enjoy the building of both, although perhaps the making of unnecessary things is a welcome diversion.

As long as anyone enjoys making models, whether they're pertinent to their overall scheme or not I don't think it matters.

In my case, I often make models which fit in with Little Bytham, even though they're probably not really necessary. By that I mean, for example, how many Gresley O2s of all varieties does one need for a layout? Even a biggish one. Over a dozen? 15?1254900999_Nu-CastO2304.jpg.ada7eb0839198705cecd247882026f47.jpg

833964834_Nu-CastO2305.jpg.68bb7d781101c454afd3698fa9add6f4.jpg

This one now makes ten. This old Nu-Cast example is now complete, apart from painting. Why do I keep on building locos, even though there are more than enough? Because it's what I enjoy.

Just to put the record straight..........

1236669527_IsinglassPigeonVan18.jpg.8d5b56d64d0fbf3a8a460d8120e2fb62.jpg

The Isinglass pigeon van I've just completed is made (at source) entirely of 3D-printed resin, not cast. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

I would think the answer to your question how many O2s do I need  (as with any other class ) is how many different members of the class would pass though on an average day ?

Dennis 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

As long as anyone enjoys making models, whether they're pertinent to their overall scheme or not I don't think it matters.

In my case, I often make models which fit in with Little Bytham, even though they're probably not really necessary. By that I mean, for example, how many Gresley O2s of all varieties does one need for a layout? Even a biggish one. Over a dozen? 15?1254900999_Nu-CastO2304.jpg.ada7eb0839198705cecd247882026f47.jpg

833964834_Nu-CastO2305.jpg.68bb7d781101c454afd3698fa9add6f4.jpg

This one now makes ten. This old Nu-Cast example is now complete, apart from painting. Why do I keep on building locos, even though there are more than enough? Because it's what I enjoy.

Just to put the record straight..........

1236669527_IsinglassPigeonVan18.jpg.8d5b56d64d0fbf3a8a460d8120e2fb62.jpg

The Isinglass pigeon van I've just completed is made (at source) entirely of 3D-printed resin, not cast. 

Good evening,

Perhaps you’re striving to create the perfect O2!

regards Robert

ps Blue Hunslet from Doncaster running a lot smoother, many thanks

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grahame said:

Does anyone else get side-tracked in to making models that aren’t pertinent to one’s long term project or magnus opus? I seem to end up making models (kit or scratch-built) for a host of reasons such as “it’s an interesting structure”, “for the challenge and to prove it can be done”, or even just simply for the enjoyment of making something. And them I’m lumbered with a model (sometimes not even fully completed) for which I have no use and end up either selling or giving it away. Why can’t I get on with things I really want or need?

For example, this N/2mm coaling tower was knocked up from some cardboard, a bit of styrene strip and some wire, and based on some photos of one without any plans. It’s something I’ve absolutely no use for and don't even have any interest in, and I ended up selling it. I’ve plenty of other examples.

567225876_coalingtower.jpg.e3d4b67650dfd030e52dfbb9329bc03b.jpg

Guilty as charged.  I’m currently building an EM chassis for a Bachman GN Atlantic.  They would never have run through Clayton but very few green  liveried engines did and they are very pretty so when we’re not at exhibition then rule 1 will apply.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 3

Thanks to those who posted advice here about how to get hold of ex-NER coaches. I now have 4 and just need to work out how to build them....

As they will be depicted running in their twilight years in the early 50's, I believe they should be brown, ( as opposed to teak} . I confess to have failed in my research to identify an appropriate paint, after an afternoon spent Googling. Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

John

7 minutes ago, rowanj said:

Thanks to those who posted advice here about how to get hold of ex-NER coaches. I now have 4 and just need to work out how to build them....

As they will be depicted running in their twilight years in the early 50's, I believe they should be brown, ( as opposed to teak} . I confess to have failed in my research to identify an appropriate paint, after an afternoon spent Googling. Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

John

I use Phoenix Precision LNER Teak .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1