Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

No modelling time that you enjoy is wasted.

As long as we accept that we all have a certain amount of modelling time before we lose our abilities or fall off our perches, how we spend that time is purely down to what we fancy doing at the time.

For somebody who has a "lifetime project", there may be nothing worse than finishing it. What do you do if your hobby is all about making things? Do you start again?

So a little diversion to put off the day when the big project is finished may be a good thing rather than a bad one. 

• Agree 4

Many thanks for the quick response. These are the kits in question, and they fit the bill nicely as they were still being used around Tyneside in the early 50's.

I did look at Precision Teak, Mick, but wondered if it was too light?. It's tempting, though, as I don't have an airbrush, so prefer rattle cans where possible. I need to see whether Track Dirt comes in a can.

IMG_20200214_190149.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, rowanj said:

Many thanks for the quick response. These are the kits in question, and they fit the bill nicely as they were still being used around Tyneside in the early 50's.

I did look at Precision Teak, Mick, but wondered if it was too light?. It's tempting, though, as I don't have an airbrush, so prefer rattle cans where possible. I need to see whether Track Dirt comes in a can.

IMG_20200214_190149.jpg

It would appear no one is 100% sure of what shade LNER Teak was ?? My choice maybe a bit light ,but it can always be darkened by weathering .

However all I have read says paint become lighter over years through ageing. I have just tried Halfords Triumph Russet Brown and it is a almost a dark chocolate shade , far too dark for my tastes.

This Phoenix Teak slightly weathered

post-7186-126746683747_thumb.jpg

Ex NER D&S kit

IMG_9727.JPG.b1e7ac57df9a8f758d7168196b4ddafa.JPG

Edited by micklner
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

55 minutes ago, rowanj said:

IMG_20200214_190149.jpg

Evening Rowanji,

my Father described the colour as mud brown, or like mouldy milk chocolate. It was certainly more unpleasant than railway modellers would have you believe. Take a look at the images below, track dirt sounds most suitable.

A2-3 HYCILA.jpg

A3 60072.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Did you finish that K1 you were busy with, Tony? Here's my own model, just waiting for the visit to the paint shop. Looking forward to getting her painted and running once I get home.

Mark

20200211_161534.jpg

20200211_161554_001.jpg

If I may - a tiny suggestion.

The chimney would benefit from losing that moulding joint.

Sorry to be picky.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Did you finish that K1 you were busy with, Tony? Here's my own model, just waiting for the visit to the paint shop. Looking forward to getting her painted and running once I get home.

Mark

20200211_161534.jpg

20200211_161554_001.jpg

I have Mark,

But it's yet to be painted. I've shown this shot before, having completed it over Christmas.

It'll become 62018, of March Shed - one of the few to lose its electric lighting equipment. 331969494_NuCastK103.jpg.89d362d592a18fb6472cfb4f313cc668.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Good evening,

Perhaps you’re striving to create the perfect O2!

regards Robert

ps Blue Hunslet from Doncaster running a lot smoother, many thanks

Thanks are due for your donation to CRUK, Robert,

Because of the likes of your generosity, I've posted a cheque off for over £150.00 this week......

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony' what's colour have you painted the coach roofs? I rather like it and wouldn't mind giving it a try. 

The teaks look look very natural. It is one of the struggles being in Australia, when I see these photos of natural looking models it is hard to match or use similar colourings as we tend to not get the railway colours locally and paints can't be posted. We do get quite a range of the normal humbrol, tamiya, etc colours but I find it can be difficult to mix to the same colour and tone but there is also the technique that is used. I wish I could just pop over have a chat,  a coffee and look at them in the flesh! 

Edited by DougN
Spelling error

On 11/03/2019 at 20:36, Atso said:

Regarding current articles in the modelling press, I have been enjoying Ian Nuttall's articles regarding his freight stock for Dentdale in RM. These really show the variety of wagons that ran on the railways, far more than I think will ever be covered by RTR products alone.

1 minute ago, dentdale said:

Thank you so much for this uplifting observation on the articles I have submitted to the Railway Modeller. I am delighted to share the results of my research and countless hours of modelling with fellow devotees. Rest assured, there are more articles on the way; five more this year and five more in the pipeline, Best Wishes, Ian 

• Like 6

Dear All,

I’ve a rake of the Hornby Gresley Teaks and wondered whether to keep them, knowing their shortcomings but have decided that if they’re good enough (with a little bit of weathering)  for Little Bythem, they’re good enough for any layout I’ll be making!

regards Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been undercoating wagons all night, fifteen completed. Now I'm pooped, it's like proper exercise man. Fifteen photographs of undercoated wagons is probably enough to send the entire thread to sleep. However, I did nick a shot of one of last nights batch just because I thought it looked like a little cutie, but what shade of grey shall it be?

LNER 9' wb unfitted van.jpg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, DougN said:

Tiny' what's colour have you painted the coach roofs? I rather like it and wouldn't mind giving it a try. 

The teaks look look very natural. It is one of the struggles being in Australia, when I see these photos of natural looking models it is hard to match or use similar colourings as we tend to not get the railway colours locally and paints can't be posted. We do get quite a range of the normal humbrol, tamiya, etc colours but I find it can be difficult to mix to the same colour and tone but there is also the technique that is used. I wish I could just pop over have a chat,  a coffee and look at them in the flesh! 

It's Humbrol No. 67 Doug,

Applied with a sable brush. 

Occasionally, I'll add a little matt black to it, just to vary the roof colours. 

As I state, shiny white for coach roofs on a steam-era layout? Perhaps, fresh from shops, but one return journey from/to York, and they'd be soot-stained.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, dentdale said:

Thank you so much for this uplifting observation on the articles I have submitted to the Railway Modeller. I am delighted to share the results of my research and countless hours of modelling with fellow devotees. Rest assured, there are more articles on the way; five more this year and five more in the pipeline, Best Wishes, Ian 

And thanks for your observations regarding my errors in my review of the latest Hornby LMS brake vans in BRM, Ian. 

The moral: always be suspicious of what a manufacturer prints on their models.

1385036297_Hornbyex-LMS20TbrakevanR690901.jpg.602941e3fa9915a13ca4db3129e9168c.jpg

I foolishly assumed the '20-0' to the right referred to the wheelbase. It is, in fact, spot on 16'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear All,

I’ve a rake of the Hornby Gresley Teaks and wondered whether to keep them, knowing their shortcomings but have decided that if they’re good enough (with a little bit of weathering)  for Little Bythem, they’re good enough for any layout I’ll be making!

regards Robert

I think it's the varnishing/weathering which 'lifts' them, Robert,

As supplied, the finish just looks plasticky (is there such a word?).

Regards,

Tony. 

On 14/02/2020 at 06:09, Tony Wright said:

I'm in complete agreement, Tim,

Lovely work.

Speaking of signals, Graham Nicholas fixed the final ones today on Little Bytham. Though very nice in operation, the Viessman solenoids are very flimsy and nine out of nine have burnt-out or failed in the last five years! 100% failure rate, though not every one - some have failed twice. 

They're all now protected from burning-out by electronic devices made and installed by Andrew Burchall. They're a complete mystery to me, but they work. 

Graham brought with him for studio photography the B3 he's made, which Ian Rathbone painted.

677407184_B301.jpg.43368d98e1f7c2ad1824dfcd53f22565.jpg

1297458298_B302.jpg.efc60e121d987dc195791c9f92e2e0cf.jpg

It's a privilege to be able to photograph such beautiful work, both in the build and in the painting.

Finally, a confession. In my recent review of the Hornby LMS brake vans in BRM, I stated that the wheelbase was 20'. How daft; it should be 16', but I foolishly believed what Hornby had printed on the 'van. My thanks to Ian Nuttall for pointing this out.

Regards,

Tony. 

I really must crack on with the kits I’ve got now, I placed an order with markits through the local hobby shop with the product codes, but apparently they’re incorrect. So in a few months time, once I’m out of the hole my wallet and myself have dug, I’ll place and order directly and to DJH for some motors. 

Hopefully I’ll have a couple more locos I’ve built to bring along when I’m over in 2020. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear All,

regards Robert

Turn away from the dark side Obi- Erichill, I fear that Tony is a secret dark lord of the S....................... Besides, you can't populate a layout with brake composites, that would be unnatural.

Edited by Headstock
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If I may - a tiny suggestion.

The chimney would benefit from losing that moulding joint.

Sorry to be picky.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

You're absolutely right - the camera really is cruelly truthful! I'll deal with that today, before she's packed away properly.

Thanks for your keen eye - do you know, it's really not visible to the naked eye, even from a foot or so away...

Cheers

Mark

27 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Turn away from the dark side Obi- Erichill, I fear that Tony is a secret dark lord of the S....................... Besides, you can't populate a layout with brake composites, that would be unnatural.

Mmmmmmmm......

First the new BachmannV2 ‘it’s more accurate in detail than any V2 I’ve every built’, the Hornby teaks and the D16 ....

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I think it's the varnishing/weathering which 'lifts' them, Robert,

As supplied, the finish just looks plasticky (is there such a word?).

Regards,

Tony. 

You’re right, the weathering makes all the difference. Sometimes a good weathering job can make an average model into a good one. Conversely I’ve seen plenty of poor weathering jobs destroy a good model.
I don’t see why ‘plasticky’ can’t been a proper work, I’m always hearing of new ‘words’ being accepted into the Oxford Dictionary, some of which to me are abbreviations or just slang.

Anyway, better get some jobs done then perhaps a bit of modelling later,

regards Robert 

• Like 1