Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Mmmmmmmm......

First the new BachmannV2 ‘it’s more accurate in detail than any V2 I’ve every built’, the Hornby teaks and the D16 ....

Has Tony ever built a Finny? With regard to the Hornby Gresley things, many have been blinded by teak and a good paint job. In the three-quarter view image, they still look like big fat monsters, rather like a loaf of bread ridding a skateboard.

• Funny 3

19 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Has Tony ever built a Finny? With regard to the Hornby Gresley things, many have been blinded by teak and a good paint job. In the three-quarter view image, they still look like big fat monsters, rather like a loaf of bread ridding a skateboard.

Dear Andrew,

Most of the models i own whether rtr or kit built have faults and I live with that. Regarding the Gresleys, the Hornby ones will be better than any I can produce. I have a number of Kirk kit to complete and I know that even built to my best standards they won’t be better than the Hornbys, they might have the correct tumblehome but they will be deficient somewhere else. (Glazing for staters). 
I admire people who are determined to produce the perfect model. I know I can’t build to that standard and if I started down that path it would lead to disappointment after many hours of work. Apathy would set in and the model room door would be left shut for weeks.

i suppose its about what is achievable within one’s constraints (time, cost abilities  etc) so I’m happy to weather the Hornby teaks and move on.

As a slight aside , I know a chap who wasn’t happy with either the Lima or Bachmann class 40 so sawed them up to use the best parts of each. He got the best cab and bodyside vents on ‘his’ model but their were god awful lines down the side where the body profiles didn’t match. It looked much worse than either of the donors but he was happy! Each to their own.

Keep on modelling,

regards Robert

regards Robert 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

45 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear Andrew,

Most of the models i own whether rtr or kit built have faults and I live with that. Regarding the Gresleys, the Hornby ones will be better than any I can produce. I have a number of Kirk kit to complete and I know that even built to my best standards they won’t be better than the Hornbys, they might have the correct tumblehome but they will be deficient somewhere else. (Glazing for staters). 
I admire people who are determined to produce the perfect model. I know I can’t build to that standard and if I started down that path it would lead to disappointment after many hours of work. Apathy would set in and the model room door would be left shut for weeks.

i suppose its about what is achievable within one’s constraints (time, cost abilities  etc) so I’m happy to weather the Hornby teaks and move on.

As a slight aside , I know a chap who wasn’t happy with either the Lima or Bachmann class 40 so sawed them up to use the best parts of each. He got the best cab and bodyside vents on ‘his’ model but their were god awful lines down the side where the body profiles didn’t match. It looked much worse than either of the donors but he was happy! Each to their own.

Keep on modelling,

regards Robert

regards Robert 

Anything that you could build would be better than the Hornby's. Have a little faith in your self.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Anything that you could build would be better than the Hornby's. Have a little faith in your self.

As I said there are other constraints, I’m hoping to to build a J6 this year but wouldn’t have time if I were to build even a small rake of coaches. Each time I build something I hope the result is better than the last effort, I have faith that I can do that. I know I can built at least a reasonable J6 and weather the teaks in a reasonable timeframe but don’t want take the risk with a set of say brass coaches. My friend’s attempt with the class 40 haunts me, I don’t want to bite of more than I can chew. I’ve seen too many models where I think the modeller has been a bit too ambitious. (but not on this thread!)

Got quite a few projects on the go so don’t need to consider anything new for a while! When these are completed I may have gained enough faith to move on a bit, but in the meantime I’m just keeping the black dogs at bay.

Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend,

regards Robert 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

As I said there are other constraints, I’m hoping to to build a J6 this year but wouldn’t have time if I were to build even a small rake of coaches. Each time I build something I hope the result is better than the last effort, I have faith that I can do that. I know I can built at least a reasonable J6 and weather the teaks in a reasonable timeframe but don’t want take the risk with a set of say brass coaches. My friend’s attempt with the class 40 haunts me, I don’t want to bite of more than I can chew. I’ve seen too many models where I think the modeller has been a bit too ambitious. (but not on this thread!)

Got quite a few projects on the go so don’t need to consider anything new for a while! When these are completed I may have gained enough faith to move on a bit, but in the meantime I’m just keeping the black dogs at bay.

Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend,

regards Robert 

Robert,

your J6 sounds a most interesting project, I'm sure many here would be interested in hearing about its progress. Let's hope it sends those black dogs scurrying back to their kennels, or better still under a bus. Storm whatsits face has just arrived, the hatches are battened and I'm retiring with a cup of coffee a bottle of plastic weld and a small brush.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, dentdale said:

Thank you so much for this uplifting observation on the articles I have submitted to the Railway Modeller. I am delighted to share the results of my research and countless hours of modelling with fellow devotees. Rest assured, there are more articles on the way; five more this year and five more in the pipeline, Best Wishes, Ian 

Glad to hear there are more coming up. Really enjoying your series and the latest article in MRJ.

• Agree 2

Robert,

your J6 sounds a most interesting project, I'm sure many here would be interested in hearing about its progress. Let's hope it sends those black dogs scurrying back to their kennels, or better still under a bus. Storm whatsits face has just arrived, the hatches are battened and I'm retiring with a cup of coffee a bottle of plastic weld and a small brush.

Andrew,

Really really must get on with some work, can’t spend all day as a keyboard warrior. I’m hoping to get into the modelling room this evening and I’ll post a couple of pictures of what I’ve got in the ‘shop’ before I can contemplate the J6.

happy modelling

Robert

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The moral: always be suspicious of what a manufacturer prints on their models.

1385036297_Hornbyex-LMS20TbrakevanR690901.jpg.602941e3fa9915a13ca4db3129e9168c.jpg

I foolishly assumed the '20-0' to the right referred to the wheelbase.

With respect Tony - the Hornby model is entirely correct.

Under BR, wheelbase markings were prefixed 'WB'  and had the foot ' / inches '' symbols; tare weight were not prefixed.

Still, you have acknowledged that wagons are not your 'thing'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Under BR, wheelbase markings were prefixed 'WB'  and had the foot ' / inches '' symbols; tare weight were not prefixed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You're quite right, John,

And I should be far more diligent. 

There are pictures of LMS brake vans with '16.0' wheelbase to the right-hand side, and I, like a chump, read the '20' as meaning 20 feet. 

I do acknowledge that 'wagons are not my thing', but if one is tasked with writing a review, then the responsibility to do the right research is paramount. And, I failed in that respect, with regard to my Hornby LMS brake van assessment. 

That said, I still think it's a damn fine model.......

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2

Well after a year and a quarter I think I have finished my bargain DJH A2.  I am guessing the total cost including paint/decals, repair parts to the gearbox and a few bits and pieces I have less than  Can$150.  One annoyance was that I had to order a second set of tender decals.  I had used my usual technique of getting the decal (tender lining) into place and then putting a little 'micro set' solution to soften it so that it went over some rivets better and the decal curled into a U continuing into a flattened strip that could not be opened up.  Anyway, picture attached.

Bronzino 2.jpg

Bronzino 3.jpg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Headstock said:

No, Andrew,

I've never built a Finney kit. I doubt if my abilities would be up to the task! 

'rather like a loaf of bread ridding a skateboard.'

I'm sure I know what you mean, but in making highly-critical comments, you should make them more bullet-proof. 

How could a loaf of bread get rid of anything from a skateboard?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 5

Having not long returned from a splendid day at the Biggleswade exhibition, may I please take the opportunity of thanking all those members of the East Beds Club, guest layout builders and traders for putting on such a fine show? 

Mo and I had a lovely time, though I had a 100% failure rate in my fixing anything. Two second-hand OO locos had tickets on them stating 'non-runner'. The tickets were entirely correct! And, how does one fix an N Gauge pannier where the owner's grandson has removed the coupling rods? No matter, we still made £7.00 for CRUK thanks to some passing donations...... 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Headstock said:

Robert,

Dear Andrew, (Headstock)

Hope you’ve managed to get some modelling done. I’ve got some work done and even been out shopping (for brownie points)  so a bit of time in the modelling room.

Before the J6 project is started I’ve got these locos pictured below to work on. The J9/10 has never run well so I’m going to remotor it and generaly tidy it  up. I’ve just managed to get the chassis for the J72 to run ok so the body needs attention. Both these models were started over 25 years ago! The other chassis (frames!) are for a Kerr Stuart Victory. It runs very well but I’m stuck as I’m not confident of making the boiler. It’s pre rolled but the seam needs sealing and disks inserting along its length. 

Dont hold your breath regarding the J6, it’s only the Nucast  kit and I know a few have featured in this thread.

regard Robert

60F8E2AE-3B4E-4016-83F4-1569006F3CCA.jpeg.df4d199b912d98f4cf5cf39906af245e.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
Typos
  • Like 13

40 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear Andrew, (Headstock)

Hope you’ve managed to get some modelling done. I’ve got some work done and even been out shopping (for brownie points)  so a bit of time in the modelling room.

Before the J6 project is started I’ve got these locos pictured below to work on. The J9/10 has never run well so I’m going to remotor it and generaly tidy it  up. I’ve just managed to get the chassis for the J72 to run ok so the body needs attention. Both these models were started over 25 years ago! The other chassis (frames!) are for a Kerr Stuart Victory. It runs very well but I’m stuck as I’m not confident of making the boiler. It’s pre rolled but the seam needs sealing and disks inserting along its length. 

Dont hold your breath regarding the J6, it’s only the Nucast  kit and I know a few have featured in this thread.

regard Robert

60F8E2AE-3B4E-4016-83F4-1569006F3CCA.jpeg.df4d199b912d98f4cf5cf39906af245e.jpeg

Good evening Robert,

I'm so glad you posted, a Victory class, what a fascinating locomotive. I haven't seen a model of one of those in quite some time. You could substitute a brass tube for the boiler but I guess the firebox is of a similar construction. I see that you have mastered the cylinders, a pair of small boilers when you think about it. The cab and the bunkers are probably a bigger priority as far as the body is concerned, that will give you time to find a solution to the boiler. I'm certain you will be able to post some progress once you have had a think about it. It's well worth the effort and certainly of more merit and interest than farting around with RTR carriages.

Storm 'thingy' seems to have subsided a little, but it will be back. It was getting a bit scary for a bit, especially when you look out the window and you think you've seen a fish swimming by! However, I have ploughed through a batch of plate wagons, thanks for asking, they are up and running. I could have bought them RTR for three and a bit times the cost per wagon, but I don't see where the fun is in that?

Edited by Headstock
don't no if it saved?
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

You're quite right, John,

And I should be far more diligent. 

There are pictures of LMS brake vans with '16.0' wheelbase to the right-hand side, and I, like a chump, read the '20' as meaning 20 feet. 

I do acknowledge that 'wagons are not my thing', but if one is tasked with writing a review, then the responsibility to do the right research is paramount. And, I failed in that respect, with regard to my Hornby LMS brake van assessment. 

That said, I still think it's a damn fine model.......

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello John and Tony

The 20.0 marking on the right hand end, isn't it the tare weight? 20 tons 0 cwt.  The 20T above the number the other end is the load which was the van itself, not its load capacity.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello John and Tony

The 20.0 marking on the right hand end, isn't it the tare weight? 20 tons 0 cwt.  The 20T above the number the other end is the load which was the van itself, not its load capacity.

Clive,

Spot on - that, in effect, is what I was saying.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Robert,

I'm so glad you posted, a Victory class, what a fascinating locomotive. I haven't seen a model of one of those in quite some time. You could substitute a brass tube for the boiler but I guess the firebox is of a similar construction. I see that you have mastered the cylinders, a pair of small boilers when you think about it. The cab and the bunkers are probably a bigger priority as far as the body is concerned, that will give you time to find a solution to the boiler. I'm certain you will be able to post some progress once you have had a think about it. It's well worth the effort and certainly of more merit and interest than farting around with RTR carriages.

Storm 'thingy' seems to have subsided a little, but it will be back. It was getting a bit scary for a bit, especially when you look out the window and you think you've seen a fish swimming by! However, I have ploughed through a batch of plate wagons, thanks for asking, they are up and running. I could have bought them RTR for three and a bit times the cost per wagon, but I don't see where the fun is in that?

Good evening to you,

i feel we are gate-crashing Tony’s thread, but hope he doesn’t mind. Perhaps bearing in mind out previous chat he’d rather us discuss rtr!

Anyway to the point, thanks for the encouragement and advice. I’m going to finish the other two off first as for hopefully a smaller amount of effort I’ll have two working models.

If I’m correct the photo below shows my effort on the kits you’ve been building this afternoon. It’s being shunted by  my Hunslet 16inch. It’s been a very poor runner but took it to Doncaster exhibition last weekend and Tony had a look at it. He didn’t appear to do much to it (and I think he would agree) but it runs much better now. Perhaps the threat of his soldering iron was enough to sort it out, but in any case I came home a very happy man. I might even get around to building the industrial layout I had planned for it.

Doesnt look like I’m going to get any modelling done tonight but I’ve enjoyed the day and my football team won.

Regards Robert61397910-8BC4-4256-AE63-6FBD77379721.jpeg.8ae35f105330f39ae7f204272edbc24d.jpeg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Good evening to you,

i feel we are gate-crashing Tony’s thread, but hope he doesn’t mind. Perhaps bearing in mind out previous chat he’d rather us discuss rtr!

Anyway to the point, thanks for the encouragement and advice. I’m going to finish the other two off first as for hopefully a smaller amount of effort I’ll have two working models.

If I’m correct the photo below shows my effort on the kits you’ve been building this afternoon. It’s being shunted by  my Hunslet 16inch. It’s been a very poor runner but took it to Doncaster exhibition last weekend and Tony had a look at it. He didn’t appear to do much to it (and I think he would agree) but it runs much better now. Perhaps the threat of his soldering iron was enough to sort it out, but in any case I came home a very happy man. I might even get around to building the industrial layout I had planned for it.

Doesnt look like I’m going to get any modelling done tonight but I’ve enjoyed the day and my football team won.

Regards Robert61397910-8BC4-4256-AE63-6FBD77379721.jpeg.8ae35f105330f39ae7f204272edbc24d.jpeg

Good morning Robert,

I'm puzzled why anyone would think they're 'gate-crashing' this thread.

You're showing us all modelling. Personal, self-reliant and highly-creative modelling; just what this thread (which isn't 'mine', by the way) thrives on.

Please keep it up, and I'm glad that wee 0-6-0ST runs better.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Good evening to you,

Robert,

the best thing about this thread is seeing what other people are modelling. I always find it most interesting and inspirational. There are always obstacles to overcome, I am not one of those people that thinks the hobby should be fun, fun, fun all the time. Sometimes you have to put the work in, deal with the tedious bits and overcome those vexing problems (sometimes with a little help) to reap the benefits, the good bits become richer as a result. I think that this thread is of great value in that process and your contributions can only enhance that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Clive,

Spot on - that, in effect, is what I was saying.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A small point, but it surprised me when I noticed how rarely a brake van's posted tare weight equates the nominal rating

Tone

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony and everyone

I wonder if anyone can help with these questions...

Firstly, my wife's parents ran a fish & chip shop in Bowes Park, north London, during the late 40s and very early 50s. My mother-in-law remembers that they could order fish from Grimbsy one day and collect it next day from Bowes Park station.

Can anyone suggest how this delivery would have been achieved?

Secondly, can anyone tell me what duties No.60700 would have been involved with in its last year or so of working?

Many thanks

Brian

13 minutes ago, Hollar said:

A small point, but it surprised me when I noticed how rarely a brake van's posted tare weight equates the nominal rating

Tone

Very true - but difficult to build a vehicle exactly to designed weight.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2