Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, burgundy said:

As Richard has pointed out, there are two different Craven singles, Dieppe and Polegate, described on the thread entitled Mr Craven's Engines.  And both are EM gauge!

q1010077.JPG.c9f9d0479b4423c756e1995fb32a737a.JPG

polegate.JPG.f6ce4cc0886d8da4f5e3f31346a00133.JPG

The original Craven livery on Chichester is rather striking though. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Do you put the motors in the domes?

Tim

• Funny 10

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Jumping back a few posts, the concensus is that the LNER did not resume applying the '3' after the war and the photographs we have collectively examined do not show any vehicle carrying it, whether LNER or pregrouping.

Morning Jonathan,

Is the locomotive in the photograph carrying its pre 1946 number?

To answer my own question. It took a little while to track down as I don't have the relevant book/documentation. 7236 is the locomotives post 1946 number.

Edited by Headstock
Answer own question.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:03, Tony Wright said:

<clippty - clip>

No. 2573, as seen on page 20 in M&GN In Focus, by M D Beckett and P R Hemnell, Becknell Books, 1980.

Well that's a blast from the past! Becknell Books was set up by Mike Beckett, who happened to work in the same office as my Dad. They were both good friends. Dad actually authored two of the Becknell volumes (Steam in the East Midlands and another which I can't remember the title to now. One was yellow bound the other red. They were dedicated to my brother and I) and although of low print runs, all the volumes seemed to sell out.

Mike was a driving force in getting the local council to support the electrification of the Kings-Lynn - Cambridge line, and as part of that drive, whenever we were travelling by train (we didn't have a car) Mike asked us to record passenger numbers getting on and off the trains at each stop, so that accurate (ie non-BR!) figure was available to present the case. His hard work paid off, so much so that now (28 years after electrification) I'm sat here in the box watching the down platform here at Littleport getting extended to allow 8 cars trains to run all the time to alleviate the overcrowding that is endemic here now...

Andy G

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, t-b-g said:

That is what happens when Tony runs Hornby Gresley carriages behind a RTR loco (in a dodgy livery) on Little Bytham.

We don't know what to say!

Perhaps a number of people said things but they were removed by the Profanity Police...

• Funny 4

13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

That is what happens when Tony runs Hornby Gresley carriages behind a RTR loco (in a dodgy livery) on Little Bytham.

We don't know what to say!

Because people were gobsmacked to discover our “hero” had feet of clay...

Edited by D-A-T
Typo
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s been half term week... I (and many others I expect) have been somewhat pre-occupied looking after grandchildren whilst their parents are at work.  Haven’t even had time to think about modelling and am totally exhausted!  

Where DO children get all that energy from?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

It’s been half term week... I (and many others I expect) have been somewhat pre-occupied looking after grandchildren whilst their parents are at work.  Haven’t even had time to think about modelling and am totally exhausted!  

Where DO children get all that energy from?

They suck it out of their grandparents...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

23 hours ago, D-A-T said:

Because people were gobsmacked to discover our “hero” had feet of clay...

Though it's written in jest let's be careful taking the Micky out of Tony. Nobody has a skin like an armadillo & things can easily get out of hand & hurt people even though that's not the intention.

William

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

I was leafing through my pile of numbers of the Model Railway News from the late sixties that I inherited many years ago and came upon this in an article describing an exhibition layout; it made me think of this thread:

"At the recent exhibition, some trouble was taken to eliminate proprietary locomotives and stock. The average eight-year-old will recognise a Triang locomotive for what it is; he almost certainly has one at home. If it is not one that he recognises, then he will assume it is hand built, and therefore a 'proper model'. The fact that it is probably only a whitemetal kit does not matter." (My emphasis.)

Those eight year olds are now sixty and just as capable of recognising the latest Bachmann, Hornby, etc.

[Model Railway News Vol. 44 No. 524 (August 1968) pp. 372-375: Rosedale, exhibition layout of the Middlesborough Model Railway and Tramway Club, described by A.J.K. Goode.]

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I was leafing through my pile of numbers of the Model Railway News from the late sixties that I inherited many years ago and came upon this in an article describing an exhibition layout; it made me think of this thread:

"At the recent exhibition, some trouble was taken to eliminate proprietary locomotives and stock. The average eight-year-old will recognise a Triang locomotive for what it is; he almost certainly has one at home. If it is not one that he recognises, then he will assume it is hand built, and therefore a 'proper model'. The fact that it is probably only a whitemetal kit does not matter." (My emphasis.)

Those eight year olds are now sixty and just as capable of recognising the latest Bachmann, Hornby, etc.

[Model Railway News Vol. 44 No. 524 (August 1968) pp. 372-375: Rosedale, exhibition layout of the Middlesborough Model Railway and Tramway Club, described by A.J.K. Goode.]

Afternoon Stephen,

Fortunately for me, I wasn't born in 1968. In the case of the Hornby Gresley carriages, of course they stand out, they are being sold as scale models when they are grossly inaccurate and expensive. Whether they are recognizable as RTR Bachman or Hornby is not really the main point. There is only one way to get a scale model of a Gresley gangway carriage. That was true in 1968 and it remains the same in 2020.

• Agree 2

Said an all too brief hello to Tony at Glasgow today. Was being dragged left, right and centre  by my grandson so barely had time to drop a few quid in the cancer research box before I was whisked off to look for a couple of trucks for his Thomas layout.  Great show incidentally. My favourite layout was Alloa. 

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2020 at 18:12, thegreenhowards said:

I look forward to the ‘proper’ D16/3 - they look much more distinctive with the valance. Is there any way of telling which locos had valances and which didn’t in BR days other than finding a photo? Yeadon doesn’t seem to provide a list.

Andy

Your 1950s Ian Allan will tell you Andy, or RCTS Volume 3C.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Your 1950s Ian Allan will tell you Andy, or RCTS Volume 3C.

Found it! Thanks for that Gilbert. Sadly putting all the data together there is no D16/3 which worked Cambridge - King’s Cross in the late ‘40s and carried an ‘E’ number which is what I wanted to renumber my Hornby E2524. But having narrowed the range down using the RCTS book, I’ve found a good photo online of 62525 in unlined black with no valence, so that will be my choice.

Andy

Hi Tony,

Thought I would join in on this thread.

The RCTS 'Green Bible' Vol 3C deals with the D16s. On page 32 it mentions that the D16/2 rebuilds to D16/3 retained their decorative valences. Apparently this was because there were no modifications to the footplating and distinguished them from the earlier D15 rebuilds to D16/3 which had this valancing removed. The exception, and there is always one (!), was Royal Claud 8783 which lost its decorative valancing following repairs due to an accident.

36 D16/2s were dealt with in this way. Pages 53 - 55 summarise the D14, D15 & D16 Classes and indicates those D16/3s 

that retained the decorative valancing.

I have amongst my (too many) unbuilt kits a Mallard D16/3 and was wondering whether a shortcut would be to build the body and use a Hornby chassis (or is it a mechanism?) but I'm not sure it would fit. However I think I know what your answer would be!

Looking forward to arranging our 'annual' visit to LB later in the year.

Regards

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1