Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Painting is certainly my Achilles heel. I'd build far more kits if I felt I could paint them to an acceptable standard. Weathering meanwhile is far more up my street.

I suppose it's one of those practice makes perfect things.

• Agree 1

Practise does make perfect, I suppose.

As long as you're competent at practising what you're doing.

I'm afraid, practise-wise, when it comes to painting, I'll never reach the high standards of the pros. 

A standard like this.......

179625477_OGaugePrecussorTank01.jpg.d6ddedaf81f8562de330d2b1e77aa41c.jpg

678336690_OGaugePrecussorTank02.jpg.b685d9599e7d5c8fccff2c522830540c.jpg

An O Gauge Precussor tank, painted by Geoff Haynes. 

Was there ever a more practical, yet elegant, livery for a steam loco?

No matter my shortcomings in painting. I build as a sub-contrator for Geoff in exchange. All the best modellers/painters have a years-ahead waiting list! 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

5 hours ago, 92220 said:

No apology needed, Tony, but thank you for repairing it as best you could.  Thank you too for your kind praise of my work.

I will replace the chassis at some point, endeavouring to get enough weight over the rear drivers when I do.  The Hornby Scot and Patriot bodies are a workable basis for a decent model, I think, with some willingness to do some modelling.

If I could paint like Geoff Haynes or Ian Rathbone, I would build more of these:

E887ECD6-B933-4574-B0A5-B46B3197392F.jpeg.12671b612d973fc224a39059b0bc6e33.jpeg

ED05DB15-32BE-4E5D-8004-552AF8CFDAE5.jpeg.e5ee5d992291b679b7c8e7f7951872ae.jpeg

Iain

Beautiful work, Iain,

I suppose Geoff Haynes will be painting the 'Scot'?

Just one comment. The buffers, as supplied by Comet, are too small in diameter for a 'Scot'. They suit a 'Jubilee' or a rebuilt 'Patriot', but the 'Scots' had larger-diameter buffer heads.  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

It was a pleasure to talk to you on Saturday, Tony. I tried the bodge you suggested using low-melt solder as filler on the wagon kit and it worked a treat! Definitely a trick worth bearing in mind for the future.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Yes correct about the front buffers on the Scots, should be 18'' diameter.

Lanarkshire Models happen to do the correct ones.

http://lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_129.htm

Just saying.

Cheers,

dave Franks.

Mmmm, would have been easier to buy these in the beginning!  I will definitely do so for any future Comet Scot builds.

thanks,

Iain

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daniel W said:

It was a pleasure to talk to you on Saturday, Tony. I tried the bodge you suggested using low-melt solder as filler on the wagon kit and it worked a treat! Definitely a trick worth bearing in mind for the future.

And a pleasure to talk to you as well, Daniel.

I'm glad the soldering dodge worked. And, I hope my re-soldering of the brake lever meant it stayed put.

Well done for tackling your first etched kit. Too many 'modellers' don't even try.......

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

how right you are about the LNWR livery. No wonder that BR chose it for the mixed traffic locos.

Here is another example, this time in 4mm and painted by Ian Rathbone (but with dust carefully applied by me). In the background is a LNWR Cauliflower 0-6-0, this time painted by an amateur and lined with waterslide transfers.

1982065982_PrecursorTank.jpg.64424823b103673f5e2c69699937ab35.jpg

Photo courtesy of Barry Norman/MRJ

Although the workmanship of Geoff, Ian and other top flight painters is beyond what most of us can achieve, I find it is possible to get a good result for the the LNWR livery by using an airbrush with cellulose paint and good quality transfers.

A beautiful locomotive, Jol,

I take it, this is the same one?

572491795_LondonRoad04.jpg.10195b0ad8e939bed3f25371a76b7cd9.jpg

52215515_LondonRoad06.jpg.d6fc9a303dfb1df7a88babe32fc979f2.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As the cost of the RTR versions is constantly rising and the second hand value of the kits falling. Do you think there is a point where more people will start saying "I'll have a go at this kit building"?  I believe there is a point where some (I am not suggesting all) will start looking at this thread, and others, and have a go. 

Painting will be the next stumbling point after soldering. I am still not there yet but I have a set procedure that is working for me. Also the materials I am using are available to me, being here in Australia, we do not get the same manufacturers of paint such as Precision  or Railmatch here due to the export/ import restrictions. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, DougN said:

As the cost of the RTR versions is constantly rising and the second hand value of the kits falling. Do you think there is a point where more people will start saying "I'll have a go at this kit building"?  I believe there is a point where some (I am not suggesting all) will start looking at this thread, and others, and have a go. 

Painting will be the next stumbling point after soldering. I am still not there yet but I have a set procedure that is working for me. Also the materials I am using are available to me, being here in Australia, we do not get the same manufacturers of paint such as Precision  or Railmatch here due to the export/ import restrictions. 

'As the cost of the RTR versions is constantly rising and the second hand value of the kits falling. Do you think there is a point where more people will start saying "I'll have a go at this kit building"?'

I certainly hope so, Doug,

You might have something here.......

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, DougN said:

Another factor will be the longevity of the products.  Current specification RTR yields mighty fine models, but they are also very delicate and it is so easy to lose bits or bend stuff, even with careful handling.   I do wonder how long some of them will last, how many of my RTR loco’s might eventually end up as static exhibits in the loco depot.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a balance to be achieved between fine-ness and practicality, with current RTR having swung too far towards the detail.  Tony has frequently commented recently about RTR products being more accurate... but this accuracy and ‘high fidelity’ does come at a cost with regards to durability with real-world handling.

And fixing things is much easier if you have built it yourself in the first place!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

9 hours ago, Chamby said:

Another factor will be the longevity of the products.  Current specification RTR yields mighty fine models, but they are also very delicate and it is so easy to lose bits or bend stuff, even with careful handling.   I do wonder how long some of them will last, how many of my RTR loco’s might eventually end up as static exhibits in the loco depot.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a balance to be achieved between fine-ness and practicality, with current RTR having swung too far towards the detail.  Tony has frequently commented recently about RTR products being more accurate... but this accuracy and ‘high fidelity’ does come at a cost with regards to durability with real-world handling.

And fixing things is much easier if you have built it yourself in the first place!

Thanks Phil,

'And fixing things is much easier if you have built it yourself in the first place!'

Especially if built in metal. Then it can be soldered together!

I know there are many out there (and on here) who build things in plastic - Plastikard or adaptations. Even though I'm quite happy to build simple plastic wagon kits as part of my demonstrating at shows, it's not my medium. In fact, I rather dislike it - all that static mess! 

Regarding longevity and reliability with regard to modern RTR, I don't think so. I see so many models/pictures of models showing many more-recent OO Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan/etc steam-outline locos missing the likes of front steps, vacuum pipes, 'proper' couplings and cylinder drain cocks. Time was when such 'fripperies' were never provided RTR, and even now they have to fixed on by the purchaser (and, have you seen the mess some make of this simple act?). Made in metal, and soldered in place, such things don't come adrift. But then, the soldering has to be done properly!

As for failing/splitting/crumbling modern RTR drives; it's far too common in my experience. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I don't consider RTR to be intrinsically more accurate than kits. There are good kits, not so good kits and bad kits. The same can also be said of RTR. A detailed perusal of the average RTR manufactures catalogue, would Surprise a lot of people as to just how high the percentage of inaccurate RTR models they contain. As for detail, it doesn't have to be flimsy. This is very much a cost choice by manufactures and laziness on the part of modellers.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'As the cost of the RTR versions is constantly rising and the second hand value of the kits falling. Do you think there is a point where more people will start saying "I'll have a go at this kit building"?'

Don't know if I agree totally here regarding kit prices falling, if ebay is anything to go by. I have been following several kits recently and the prices seem to be getting higher and higher. There still seems to be a high demand for kits.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Headstock said:

As for detail, it doesn't have to be flimsy. This is very much a cost choice by manufactures and laziness on the part of modellers.

Yep, and damage or broken off bits are often caused through clumsiness, maltreatment and bad handling by owners. If people want to treat models roughly there are plenty of robust children's toys, some made from wood, that can purchased and played with.

;-)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScRSG said:

Don't know if I agree totally here regarding kit prices falling, if ebay is anything to go by. I have been following several kits recently and the prices seem to be getting higher and higher. There still seems to be a high demand for kits.

I'm inclined to agree,

Even though I was quoting Doug's statement.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. Good to see you again in Glasgow. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A beautiful locomotive, Jol,

I take it, this is the same one?

572491795_LondonRoad04.jpg.10195b0ad8e939bed3f25371a76b7cd9.jpg

52215515_LondonRoad06.jpg.d6fc9a303dfb1df7a88babe32fc979f2.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes it is, from the super photos you kindly took when London Road appeared at York MRS in 2018.

I used the Barry Norman photo as it was more close up to show Ian Rathbone's painting and lining. Your photos capture the loco and train excellently in the overall context of the layout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Yep, and damage or broken off bits are often caused through clumsiness, maltreatment and bad handling by owners. If people want to treat models roughly there are plenty of robust children's toys, some made from wood, that can purchased and played with.

;-)

Or a football, you can kick that until your hearts content.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ScRSG said:

I wish the prices of Slaters Toplights would fall a bit...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Is buying RTR realy that different to building a kit that someone else has designed and then paying someone else to paint it? (regardless of if the payment is cash or in exhange for building a kit for your painter?)

Without wanting to sound rude, there are many posts on this thread that appear to look-down upon those who buy RTR models. Surely getting someone else to build or paint a kit is only one step removed? A person might be an expert in producing scenary but is happy with RTR models. Does this make them any less of a "modeller"?

Steven B.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1