Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

The instruction go into quite some detail about how to glue them together which is completely insane for stuff this small. 

I'm under the impression that the smaller the part the more difficult it can be to solder. I've just watched a video of the assembly of a 1:700 scale PE brass radar array (for a battleship). The parts were almost microscopic and were glued together with a minute globule of glue applied on the pointed end of a pin. I don't think I've seen an iron bit small enough to be used.

And of course some of tiny parts were attached to plastic mouldings which is not really suitable for soldering. Sometimes I think it is often more a matter of horses for courses.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Well what an excellent day!  

The entire Mimram Modellers group (both fully paid up and honourary members) had the honour of a day excursion to Little Bytham.   What a superb layout it is, a beautiful rendition of times past on the ECML.    Three words really do sum it up when you see it in the flesh, consistently high standards.  

Some layouts have beautiful stock running on a "trainset board", others have beautiful scenery with track barely better than Hornby Dublo 3 Rail (no offence intended to 3 rail collectors!), some have exquisite trackwork in an unbelievable environment and in each case something jarrs.   As you all know, not so LB;  the topography is entirely believable (easily checked on the way to the pub for lunch), sublime trackwork,  beautiful architectural modelling, realistic and reliable stock (with the possible exception of the odd Deltic), historically accurate situation and operation etc etc.   

Unfortunately  Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate have had to be called in to investigate a serious accident when an Up Express ran into the rear of a stationary Pullman train held just north of the M&GN bridge.   The derailed Pullman cars fouled the adjacent line derailing a number of wagons.   Initial indications are that the signalling systems were operating correctly and human error was the likely cause.  It is too early to say whether any railway staff will be prosecuted.  

Anyway, many thanks to Tony and Mo for the invitation and their hospitality for a thouroughly enjoyable day.   We look forward to our next visit!

Alan

Many thanks to Tony, Mo, Alan and David for a most excellent day out :)

I couldn't resist a selfie......

And as previously reported, Her Majestey's Railway Inspectorate have summoned the CME, a Mr. T. Wright, for a meeting to explain all actions leading up to the accident.  Meanwhile, the Little Bytham Chronicle have seized upon the opportunity to run with the headline "Carnage at Little Bytham", which is the most exciting story since four milk churns fell from the back of Farmer Smyth's trailer seventeen years ago, almost wiping out Mrs. Jones' cat in the process.

More pictures to follow....

IMG_0469[1].JPG

IMG_0482[1].JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Railways Archive:

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=1873

Accident at Little Bytham on 26th February 1853

Accident Summary

Train Operator: Great Northern Railway

Primary Causes: Driver error, signaller error, excessive speed

Secondary Cause: Inadequate planning

Result: Signal passed at danger, rear collision

0 fatalities, unknown number of injured

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Steven B said:

And aircraft - not just a recent building technique either; De Havilland Mosquito was glued together.

A well chosen adhesive used properly should do a better job than a poorly formed solder joint.

Steven B.

When I was in my teens I read J E Gordon's "The New Science of Strong Materials" (1968) which goes into quite entertaining detail about various joints, bonds and failure modes. I seem to remember one of his examples was that a properly formed glued joint should be stronger than the wood itself, and not likely to be the first thing that fails.

Al

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, grahame said:

I'm under the impression that the smaller the part the more difficult it can be to solder. I've just watched a video of the assembly of a 1:700 scale PE brass radar array (for a battleship). The parts were almost microscopic and were glued together with a minute globule of glue applied on the pointed end of a pin. I don't think I've seen an iron bit small enough to be used.

And of course some of tiny parts were attached to plastic mouldings which is not really suitable for soldering. Sometimes I think it is often more a matter of horses for courses.

I super glue most of the PE on my 1/350 and 1/200 scale ships and as they are under no stress, the glue is more than sufficient.  When glueing the PE to plastic, especially railings, I often use PVA as it is so easy to clean up leaving no trace of the glue and, again is more than up to the task of holding the PE.

Of course, none of these models are expected to move at a scale 100 mph...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The railway modellers were in awe of the wonderful detail and weathering of the aircraft, soldiers and vehicles.

Military modellers are, for the most part, miles ahead of us railway modellers when it comes to weathering.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

When I was in my teens I read J E Gordon's "The New Science of Strong Materials" (1968) which goes into quite entertaining detail about various joints, bonds and failure modes. I seem to remember one of his examples was that a properly formed glued joint should be stronger than the wood itself, and not likely to be the first thing that fails.

Quite right too.  I read that in my student years.  Never forgotten that quote.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Al

That was one of our standard texts at Uni!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, PJT said:

Quite right too.  I read that in my student years.  Never forgotten that quote.

Pete T.

Unfortunately it doesn't apply to my woodworking...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grahame said:

Some modern etched metal kits still suggest gluing. I guess the advent and availability of cyanoacrylate (super-glue) makes it convenient. And apparently it is used in some product, including car, manufacturing.

I seem to recall that cyanoacrylate was recommended for the George Alan footbridge, presumably to eliminate the risk of heat distortion.

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I seem to recall that cyanoacrylate was recommended for the George Alan footbridge, presumably to eliminate the risk of heat distortion.

Having built the Kemilway version of that footbridge, distortion was something I had to be very wary of. I would think a lot of it could be built using cyanoacrylate but it wouldn't have been my choice.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, johndon said:

Of course, none of these models are expected to move at a scale 100 mph...

. . . . just 30 knots in water for some.

An RC speed boat I once made (many years ago) was all glued together with cascamite (a powdered resin wood glue) and carried a lead acid motorbike battery to run the motor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Railways Archive:

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=1873

Accident at Little Bytham on 26th February 1853

Accident Summary

Train Operator: Great Northern Railway

Primary Causes: Driver error, signaller error, excessive speed

Secondary Cause: Inadequate planning

Result: Signal passed at danger, rear collision

0 fatalities, unknown number of injured

HMRI have made the unusual step of issuing an advance press release, confirming that the Driver of the Loco (a Mr. P. Bear), whilst unfamiliar with the route was fortunately unhurt, although somewhat shaken and looking nowhere near as white as usual, having been showered with coal.  Mr. Bear was somewhat concerned that the Loco, a Peppercorn A1 (to be confirmed) may be damaged, though fortunately this was not the case, with not so much as a scuff on the bufferbeam.  The Loco in question was somewhat unusual in that it was not built at Doncaster; instead it was supplied as a kit of parts by DJH Engineering, based in County Durham and assembled most professionally in workshops close to Little Bytham.  The condition of the Pullman Cars is unknown, however it is rumoured that much soup was spilled. 

HMRI expect to interview the CME later today, who at present appears to have "gone to ground".  Unconfirmed reports indicate that the Signalman may well be in for a grilling too.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

HMRI have made the unusual step of issuing an advance press release, confirming that the Driver of the Loco (a Mr. P. Bear), whilst unfamiliar with the route was fortunately unhurt, although somewhat shaken and looking nowhere near as white as usual, having been showered with coal.  Mr. Bear was somewhat concerned that the Loco, a Peppercorn A1 (to be confirmed) may be damaged, though fortunately this was not the case, with not so much as a scuff on the bufferbeam.  The Loco in question was somewhat unusual in that it was not built at Doncaster; instead it was supplied as a kit of parts by DJH Engineering, based in County Durham and assembled most professionally in workshops close to Little Bytham.  The condition of the Pullman Cars is unknown, however it is rumoured that much soup was spilled. 

HMRI expect to interview the CME later today, who at present appears to have "gone to ground".  Unconfirmed reports indicate that the Signalman may well be in for a grilling too.

Thanks for a great day, Brian,

Also the same thanks to David and Alan. And, particular thanks to David for his hospitality at lunchtime.

What a great crash (my fault entirely). After you'd all gone, I investigated. Just a tweak of a coupling was necessary on a Pullman car, then re-railing the rakes, and all was well. The A1 won! 

I wonder, had 60117 been glued together, there'd have been an even chance that a buffer would have gone, along with a front step and vacuum standpipe (a common feature on many RTR-based models seen on RMweb). No, not even a scuff off the paint. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

IMG_0140 ps s.jpg

IMG_0183 ps s.jpg

That's a lovely looking period layout Andrew, something I am aiming for with my new build -- would love to see more pics of your layout and inf on it (perhaps under Layout Topics?), if poss?

all the best,

Keith

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

11 hours ago, PupCam said:

Well what an excellent day!  

The entire Mimram Modellers group (both fully paid up and honourary members) had the honour of a day excursion to Little Bytham.   What a superb layout it is, a beautiful rendition of times past on the ECML.    Three words really do sum it up when you see it in the flesh, consistently high standards.  

Some layouts have beautiful stock running on a "trainset board", others have beautiful scenery with track barely better than Hornby Dublo 3 Rail (no offence intended to 3 rail collectors!), some have exquisite trackwork in an unbelievable environment and in each case something jarrs.   As you all know, not so LB;  the topography is entirely believable (easily checked on the way to the pub for lunch), sublime trackwork,  beautiful architectural modelling, realistic and reliable stock (with the possible exception of the odd Deltic), historically accurate situation and operation etc etc.   

Unfortunately  Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate have had to be called in to investigate a serious accident when an Up Express ran into the rear of a stationary Pullman train held just north of the M&GN bridge.   The derailed Pullman cars fouled the adjacent line derailing a number of wagons.   Initial indications are that the signalling systems were operating correctly and human error was the likely cause.  It is too early to say whether any railway staff will be prosecuted.  

Anyway, many thanks to Tony and Mo for the invitation and their hospitality for a thouroughly enjoyable day.   We look forward to our next visit!

Alan

Exhibit 1.JPG

Thanks Alan,

As reported in response to one of Brian's posts as well, what a great day. 

It would seem fortunate that the Pullman car were parked on a curve, so the kinetic forces went sideways to some extent. When you all next come (please), we'll run the sequence, where such 'calamities' are less likely to happen.

As for CREPELLO, I'm afraid she'll (he'll?) have to be shot/destroyed/put-down! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks to Tony, Mo, Alan and David for a most excellent day out :)

I couldn't resist a selfie......

And as previously reported, Her Majestey's Railway Inspectorate have summoned the CME, a Mr. T. Wright, for a meeting to explain all actions leading up to the accident.  Meanwhile, the Little Bytham Chronicle have seized upon the opportunity to run with the headline "Carnage at Little Bytham", which is the most exciting story since four milk churns fell from the back of Farmer Smyth's trailer seventeen years ago, almost wiping out Mrs. Jones' cat in the process.

More pictures to follow....

IMG_0469[1].JPG

IMG_0482[1].JPG

A most-dramatic second picture, Brian!

Note the pink pliers. 

I thought all gender-specific colours had disappeared from everyday life, until Mo and I were browsing in a craft shop in Edinburgh last year. She was looking at some jewellery-making bits and pieces, in the section catering for 'ladies', and saw them. I just had to buy them! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 6

15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A most-dramatic second picture, Brian!

Note the pink pliers. 

I thought all gender-specific colours had disappeared from everyday life, until Mo and I were browsing in a craft shop in Edinburgh last year. She was looking at some jewellery-making bits and pieces, in the section catering for 'ladies', and saw them. I just had to buy them! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony,

there's another one of those stunted LMS vans right in the middle of the picture, or is its compression a result of the accident?

Was it an accident, or a convoluted attempt to divest the layout of the aforementioned mini me van?

• Like 2

On the subject of a scale 100mph, on a OO layout, how long should a train take to travel 20 feet?

likewise, at 30 mph and 60mph.  

(maths was never my strong point at school - I'm a musician at heart).

Graeme

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

On the subject of a scale 100mph, on a OO layout, how long should a train take to travel 20 feet?

If one takes the view, as many do, that time cannot be scaled, then as long as it takes a prototype train at 100mph to travel 1,524 feet. On this basis, one scale mile per hour corresponds to a speed of 0.02 feet per second. At scale 100mph, the model is travelling at 2 feet per second, and will take ten seconds to cover 20 feet. At scale 30mph, 35 seconds, and at scale 60mph, 17 seconds. I have taken the liberty of rounding off to the nearest second!

If one chooses other scaling laws, other answers are possible. How one should scale time is another question altogether, but one that needs to be answered.

Even choosing not to scale it is still making a choice. Suppose you are a sufficiently skilled and dedicated modeller that you build a perfect 4mm:1 foot replica of a pendulum-driven clock. How often does it tick compared to the prototype clock? The scaling law to get that to work out is different from the scaling law needed to make clouds of smoke from your smoke generator to billow in a prototypically correct manner!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Repaired by Tony Wrights repair clinic.

Was first Deltic I saw.

39 minutes ago, RLBH said:

If one takes the view, as many do, that time cannot be scaled, then as long as it takes a prototype train at 100mph to travel 1,524 feet. On this basis, one scale mile per hour corresponds to a speed of 0.02 feet per second. At scale 100mph, the model is travelling at 2 feet per second, and will take ten seconds to cover 20 feet. At scale 30mph, 35 seconds, and at scale 60mph, 17 seconds. I have taken the liberty of rounding off to the nearest second!

That's perfect for my needs. many thanks

Graeme

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

He'll have to be destroyed!  Oh no!  A sad reminder of September1981 :(

Will he be parked, unloved at the back of the works unloved before the axe man  cometh?

Alan