Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Hollar said:

Very nice piece of work indeed  Do you apply the TCut with cotton buds or with scrubby brushes?  If brushes - how do you clean them or do you use sweetshop ones and treat them as disposable?  I've used TCut to produce a worn-looking finish on coaching stock but have always avoided locos until now for fear of serious accidents.

Tone

Many thanks Tone.

I use a cotton bud (I go through so many a week!)

Speaking of coaches, I have just finished a rake for a client. Here is one that has had the T-Cut treatment. It has been factory weathered and the client asked if it could be removed.  I am really pleased with the sheen.

56C83CAF-2B4D-484D-B63D-25371D73F547.jpeg.bc3d056731457161d319aa3737c815a4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Backtracking a little to the discussions on layout coaches, I wish to being this one up as I pulled it out again tonight. I also apologise for the photo quality. 

It is an old Bachmann Mk1, one that still has the roof ribs which will be removed. It is a £5-£10 purchase (I honestly can’t recall) that eventually will become 6000s support coach, in full Bulmers livery, as the start of a project to model the Bulmers Cider Train. It’s not the greatest repaint ever, but it’s come up alright. I have been told the original colour, but I can’t recall it for certain. However, as a layout coach it would work fine.

And clearly it did fine work for the previous owner who did the repaint and work, a Mr David Shakespeare of Tetleys Mill.

D64D0D8E-5D97-477D-95BA-5997059A30B3.jpeg

D3D4C97E-CF83-49B0-9716-4AF2B87B81D5.jpeg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Tom F said:

Many thanks Tone.

I use a cotton bud (I go through so many a week!)

Speaking of coaches, I have just finished a rake for a client. Here is one that has had the T-Cut treatment. It has been factory weathered and the client asked if it could be removed.  I am really pleased with the sheen.

56C83CAF-2B4D-484D-B63D-25371D73F547.jpeg.bc3d056731457161d319aa3737c815a4.jpeg

Good afternoon Tom,

nice to see a bit of roof grot, in contrast to the finish given to the sides. There seems to be an outbreak of shiny plastic van and carriage roofs orbiting our model railways these days.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Tony, am I right in thinking all the hoo-har about a loco standing the wrong side of  signal was the King Arthur photo. Surely, there would be no problem if it was photographed in the process of backing the carriages into the station. That, unless I'm mistaken, is your 'get out' on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

36 minutes ago, Clem said:

Tony, am I right in thinking all the hoo-har about a loco standing the wrong side of  signal was the King Arthur photo. Surely, there would be no problem if it was photographed in the process of backing the carriages into the station. That, unless I'm mistaken, is your 'get out' on that one.

Evening Clem,

I thought the signal was up, or off, or whatever and the loco was moving forwards. The signal doesn't look down to me, so I couldn't see the problem anyway. I figured I was just being dumb and every body else was super clever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Clem said:

Except the eagle eyed Gee spotted that the points were set for the 0-6-0 to go out over the crossover and there is a hint of the signal for the line the 0-6-0 is on being cleared. It is sort of half up so either just being cleared or put back to danger or it doesn't work at all. Neither loco has lamps (usually worth a comment from TW) so we don't know if they are on trains or just standing about waiting for somebody to lamp them up.

I only mentioned it to illustrate a point I was trying to get across that we all have things that matter to us and things that don't. Seeing layouts and trains photographed in situations which couldn't or shouldn't happen on the real railway is something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me but even then, I would never say that it is unacceptable as I know it matters little to many.

What may be "unacceptable" to some could be a "so what" matter to others.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Atso said:

Interesting to see Headstocks Boplate B model. In the spirit of having a go at things, my N gauge scratchbuilt version (still a work in progress) is below.

2033035692_BoplateB.jpg.7f68b21daf6716e2a8b80813b3f3a699.jpg

The messy soldering will be cleaned up!

I've also been playing around creating a representation of a GNR eight wheel brake van out of two BHE etched body kits and some 2mm Association components.

I agree. I've got about this far with a 2mm kit and just learned that I need to check how many sets of truss bars it has before I finish it, whenever that might be. Someone kindly provided a photo of one on loan to the GW so it's more justifiable now. I can't remember whose kit it is off hand but should have the instructions filed if you're interested in making any more and would like the details. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I agree. I've got about this far with a 2mm kit and just learned that I need to check how many sets of truss bars it has before I finish it, whenever that might be. Someone kindly provided a photo of one on loan to the GW so it's more justifiable now. I can't remember whose kit it is off hand but should have the instructions filed if you're interested in making any more and would like the details. 

Good evening richbrummitt,

there are four sets of turnbuckles, thus eight needle beams. The HMRS have a drawing.

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I was planning for the Boplate being a one off. However, if there is a kit I'd be interested in building a few more and therefore would be most grateful for any information you could provide.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

With regard to the appearance of this type of Boplates on the GW, There was a daily steel train that ran from the North East to South Wales via the GC both before and after WW2

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Except the eagle eyed Gee spotted that the points were set for the 0-6-0 to go out over the crossover and there is a hint of the signal for the line the 0-6-0 is on being cleared. It is sort of half up so either just being cleared or put back to danger or it doesn't work at all. Neither loco has lamps (usually worth a comment from TW) so we don't know if they are on trains or just standing about waiting for somebody to lamp them up.

I only mentioned it to illustrate a point I was trying to get across that we all have things that matter to us and things that don't. Seeing layouts and trains photographed in situations which couldn't or shouldn't happen on the real railway is something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me but even then, I would never say that it is unacceptable as I know it matters little to many.

What may be "unacceptable" to some could be a "so what" matter to others.

'Neither loco has lamps (usually worth a comment from TW)'

The Southern tended to use discs, not lamps, but 'so what?'

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful.

I always thought the original bridge looked fine as a background feature.  The new one though is superb and the bridge is no longer a background feature.

Top marks to Jamie and Dave.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind and gracious words Tony.  The pictures show what a great job David has done with some superb painting and weathering.  I should point out that he has also improved considerably  on my original etch and has added details that I hadn't included such as the smoke delector plates. It does look good and it was a pleasure to be involved.  Now I just have to get my act into gear and try to create an etch for a Midland 3F with 6' drivers that was photographed at Green Ayre in about 1922. I've not done any etches like that so it will be a journey of discovery.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for the kind and gracious words Tony.  The pictures show what a great job David has done with some superb painting and weathering.  I should point out that he has also improved considerably  on my original etch and has added details that I hadn't included such as the smoke delector plates. It does look good and it was a pleasure to be involved.  Now I just have to get my act into gear and try to create an etch for a Midland 3F with 6' drivers that was photographed at Green Ayre in about 1922. I've not done any etches like that so it will be a journey of discovery.

Jamie

There were 3 of them, IIRC, produced for fast fish traffic. The centre wheel splashers were rectangular, instead of the usual curves.

A friend of mine modified a Triang Deeley 3F to represent one of these locos, more years ago than I care to remember - 40-45 years have passed since then...

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Atso said:

I was planning for the Boplate being a one off. However, if there is a kit I'd be interested in building a few more and therefore would be most grateful for any information you could provide.

Many thanks.

If we are talking about the NER B9 boplate then it is one of Bob Jones's Fence Houses Model Foundry kits Steve. 

Simon

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Two more shots of the new bridge...............

868557664_MGNRbridge21.jpg.97b21d3771ee344e31e0573eb3f4607c.jpg

This is similar to a P H Wells' shot, taken on the last day of the line in 1959.

401041248_MGNRbridge28.jpg.b45931a2e75ba040396bf995f58921ac.jpg

Recalling an earlier time, but what to do with the offstage scene.........? 

I really like that first shot, it’s as if I’m standing in your back yard again having a coffee and one of those stress reliever sticks, can’t wait till I’m there again, how I miss it. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What a difference the new bridge makes!  The old one didn't look bad, so it just shows how much better the 'proper model' is.

Back tracking a little, I've also got one of those Ian Kirk Boplate B kits to make, sometime, and I wondered whether I could ask a question of the wagon experts on here?  I've got a vague memory of reading of some of these wagons being used for brick traffic; it could perhaps have been an article in the Great Northern Society magazine years ago, or did I imagine it?  The article was accompanied by a grainy photo showing one lettered "BRICK" in large capitals in the middle of the side, in the manner of the better known ex GN type bogie brick wagons.  I wondered whether anyone else knew of this; if so how long did they run like that (ideally for my purposes well into BR days!), and were they altered in any way, e.g. by the fitting of VB, as of course the GN ones were built so fitted?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two more shots of the new bridge...............

868557664_MGNRbridge21.jpg.97b21d3771ee344e31e0573eb3f4607c.jpg

This is similar to a P H Wells' shot, taken on the last day of the line in 1959.

It's no doubt heresy to say it  but I think this view is at least as good as anything at Pendon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10