Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

I really like that first shot, it’s as if I’m standing in your back yard again having a coffee and one of those stress reliever sticks, can’t wait till I’m there again, how I miss it. 

Many thanks, Jesse,

You know you're always welcome here. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, westerner said:

A lovely piece of work. Just out of interest Tony, was one of the smoke deflectors missing on the prototype?

Good morning Alan,

There was.

The one missing would have been over the Up lay-by, which finished just north of the bridge. It's thus highly-unlikely that a loco would ever pass underneath it.

170887894_MGNRbridge25A.jpg.ad4618b1a1857be241a8aec37e765e7e.jpg

In a similar shot to the one I posted yesterday, the Up 'Leicester' heads across the bridge towards Castle Bytham and beyond. 

The main line tracks going away from the camera are Down slow, Down fast, Up fast, Up lay-by (the one without the deflector) and Up slow. It's interesting that the Up lay-by is sited between the Up running roads (the Down south lay-by is the same), but that's how the prototype was arranged. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

It's no doubt heresy to say it  but I think this view is at least as good as anything at Pendon.

Steady on Trevor,

It probably is heresy. 

I'd never really compare anything I'm involved with with Pendon. That surely is the zenith with regard to 4mm Scale modelling. 

LB's scenic-side trackwork is probably as good as anything on Pendon (even though it's 'narrow gauge') and the signals must come close, but that's probably it. I love Bob Dawson's architectural modelling on LB (and that of his grandson, Scott), but I've an idea that Bob didn't pass the Pendon 'entrance exam'. 

The scenery on LB isn't anywhere near Pendon's standards, though the new bridge certainly is. Were it a Vale prototype, it would have been installed straight away.

The locos painted for me by Ian Rathbone and Geoff Haynes are certainly to as high a standard in terms of livery as any loco on Pendon, but what's underneath that paint doesn't compare.

As for the shot you like, just about everything in it is my work (other than the wonderful new bridge). 

Regards (and a big 'thank you'),

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, teaky said:

Beautiful.

I always thought the original bridge looked fine as a background feature.  The new one though is superb and the bridge is no longer a background feature.

Top marks to Jamie and Dave.

Thanks Rob,

And it still works just as well as 'background feature'.........

829959208_MGNRbridge29B.jpg.28bc7235d658e17e7f4554ca4ddf0ae1.jpg

Class A2/3 60516 HYCILLA (DJH/Wright/Rathbone) has just come under the bridge heading a Newcastle-Kings Cross express. 

Having the proper bridge now really does make a difference.

Between the running lines to the left can be seen the extent of my point rodding at the north end. Having the new bridge installed is the greatest motivation for my getting it finished! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I really like that first shot, it’s as if I’m standing in your back yard again having a coffee and one of those stress reliever sticks, can’t wait till I’m there again, how I miss it. 

"Stress reliever stick?" Is this some secret hidden fetish, or has Tony been beating you into submission....

" You WILL use solder, you WON'T use glue......"

:jester:

• Funny 6

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

"Stress reliever stick?" Is this some secret hidden fetish, or has Tony been beating you into submission....

Probably because solder gets you higher than glue.  I suspect the stress reliever sticks were smuggled into the country, or does Tony have a secret stash under the layout?

Edited by Headstock
reliever not receiver.
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Robert

There are many thousands of rivets on the bridge. Those that were formed by etching material from around them are more prominant. Those that were punched through from the 1/2 etches on the back (accounting for a great deal more), have become rather faint after the successive paint layers. That probably happened on the prototype, but a shame that they are not more easily visible. The airbrushed layers were quite thin and I could not find any weathering technique to enhance them that would work.

If and when I do another of these bridges for my own layout, then the design may include more front etched rivets or the shape and size might need to be altered. All part of the learning process and I will do some experiments beforehand.

You can see below punched through rivets that were made on the layered flange plates over the top of the trusses.

Dave

DSC04507.JPG.a59a707c0ae7369da311821309e7e60d.JPG

Even more impressive in the ‘bare’, quite incredible really, especially as it’s a one off. 

Regards Robert

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, polybear said:

I'm sure you know, Brian,

But Jesse is talking about fags. I've told him he's an idiot to smoke, but the immortality of youth is deaf to such advice............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm sure you know, Brian,

But Jesse is talking about fags. I've told him he's an idiot to smoke, but the immortality of youth is deaf to such advice............

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm sure a visit to any UK Hospital at around 6-7am every morning may have some effect - seeing the smokers in their jammies gathered outside having a fag.  Many look as though that's what put them there, and I've seen some with drips and oxygen :o having a puff.  A real eye-opener

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'm sure a visit to any UK Hospital at around 6-7am every morning may have some effect - seeing the smokers in their jammies gathered outside having a fag.  Many look as though that's what put them there, and I've seen some with drips and oxygen :o having a puff.  A real eye-opener

Seen that!

It is a comment on our current priorities ( and influential shareholder interests) that sufficient research has not been undertaken to develop a substance that, when taken, makes cigarettes induce immediate, intolerable effects.

Long term consequences will never dissuade the addict - only immediate and unacceptable effects will work.

John Isherwood (ex-smoker).

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

For a moment I thought you'd written "immorality"...

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regarding youth, I think that's taken as said.......

Ah, yes.  I remember it well.

Just.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

And, in my experience having had a few recent operations and regular attendance for check-ups, it's not just at that time.

Some hospitals/health authorities have made the whole of hospital grounds non-smoking but don't seem to enforce it. At St Peters I had to complain that cigarette smoke from puffers just outside the doors was drifting up and coming in the ward windows, where I was bedded. And on my cancer check-up visits at St George's I have to hold my breath and dash the last 10 yards through the thick fog of smoke around the entrance.

The ironic thing is that the smokers are mostly in/at hospital because they do smoke.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, grahame said:

The ironic thing is that the smokers are mostly in/at hospital because they do smoke.

The really ironic thing is, if you visit St John's in Livingston, they're mostly there because that's where they work. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

One of my friends used to be a heavy smoker a long time ago but gave up and started to buy trains instead - now he has a huge layout and massive collection of locos and rolling stock! I know which is more beneficial.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

One of my friends used to be a heavy smoker a long time ago but gave up and started to buy trains instead - now he has a huge layout and massive collection of locos and rolling stock! I know which is more beneficial.

I gave up smoking when I went to University, because I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women.

Does the team think I made the right choice?

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

The best is when the kids ward ring up and say " One your patients , having a fag, has just fainted". A few minutes before they had been told not to as they had just come out of an operation....."But it was my hand they operated on".

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Not quite in defence of, but if I’m not mistaken Jessie is a tradie. Which means extraordinary amounts of stress and stress, compounded by stressful deadlines. So I can somewhat understand it. 

Out here in Oz it’s rare to meet a tradie who doesn’t smoke. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1