Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, nerron said:

Tut,tut.

Visible tight radii going on/offstage on man lines always compromise realism.....;)

35 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Many thanks,

Perhaps I should have qualified the statement by prefixing it with 'having'.

Be careful what you wish for - perfect grammar/spelling/syntax/context/etc., - because you might find that, henceforth, anything you post will be subject to the greatest grammatical scrutiny.

I don't mind - I'm fair game (I should be), but there are some more-sensitive souls whose command of our mother tongue is not as good as (perhaps) it should be, and I would hate to think they'll be dissuaded from posting on here because of the 'grammar police'. I've been described by one editor/publishing manager as a 'Grammar Nazi'! Though the ideology of the Nazis is abhorrent to any civilised human being (I have several Jewish friends), I understood where the person was coming from.

I pick up on Jesse's English all the time, but it's mutual, matey banter. 

I take grammatical correction as banter, but not all do.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Clem said:

The wonky wagon (part 2)....

IMG_4395_rdcd.jpg.5bfbb0c59e9534c6a90f105a873b1b2d.jpgIMG_4396rdcd.jpg.4597715b434dbec7019b2f79db32668e.jpgIMG_4397rdcd.JPG.f256f789426314e54adc33387e5b1dd9.JPG

The other one is the Charles Roberts type converted from a Bachmann.

Good evening Clem,

Both hoppers look great. Do you have any photographs demonstrating how you beat the dodgy Bachmann model into a proper Charles Roberts type?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

Perhaps I should have qualified the statement by prefixing it with 'having'.

Be careful what you wish for - perfect grammar/spelling/syntax/context/etc., - because you might find that, henceforth, anything you post will be subject to the greatest grammatical scrutiny.

I don't mind - I'm fair game (I should be), but there are some more-sensitive souls whose command of our mother tongue is not as good as (perhaps) it should be, and I would hate to think they'll be dissuaded from posting on here because of the 'grammar police'. I've been described by one editor/publishing manager as a 'Grammar Nazi'! Though the ideology of the Nazis is abhorrent to any civilised human being (I have several Jewish friends), I understood where the person was coming from.

I pick up on Jesse's English all the time, but it's mutual, matey banter. 

I take grammatical correction as banter, but not all do.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, 

1 hour ago, nerron said:

Tut,tut.

Visible tight radii going on/offstage on man lines always compromise realism.....;)

Tony,

What are “man lines”, do you know?

regards Robert

• Funny 2

There's been some discussion on the Peterborough North thread about B1 smokebox doors (to which I've contributed). 

A steam locomotive's smokebox door is definitely its 'face', and, in the case of the B1s, there were many different 'mugs'. 

200947011_B161159.jpg.1cb4dea3e913ed2705b5ce64ae97c98c.jpg

During the final months of the M&GNR's existence, a B1 was used (even though its RA number was too high). It was this one, 61159, so I've replicated it. 

It's a Bachmann body on top of a Comet chassis. The smokebox door would appear to be more like the original NER-style type. 

61159.jpg.7b643b5a37b7f2dc79ebd17c30a5058a.jpg

However, clearly 61159 sported a more-bulbous 'door, at least at the time of this picture (1957). 

1692770226_B161206.jpg.f29fba93cc3d620ecd5579caa82605e1.jpg

Before Tony Geary 'graduated' to O Gauge, he produced some lovely 4mm stuff, including this B1 (arrived at by the same means as mine, but with Stelfox cylinders). 

61206.jpg.cb876364be67e4b6e032252336823b7d.jpg

He took the trouble to alter the smokebox door, to this more-bulbous, GNR-style 'door. 

Interesting stuff, I think.......

Please observe copyright restrictions on the prototype pictures. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Awful lot of subsidence around the telegraph pole near the bridge, Tony...

Tim

I didn't make it up, Tim,

Honestly!

There was another, identical one, on the other side of the bridge, and they were just the bridge's width apart. That way, there was no 'sag' in the wires, and the lower insulators could be so close to the ground.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Headstock said:

Do you have any photographs demonstrating how you beat the dodgy Bachmann model into a proper Charles Roberts type?

Hi Andrew. I haven't photoed the conversion but Chris keeps saying she wants to photo a project and I'll be doing another one very soon. In the meantime,  in words first...   Basically it's a cut and shut for the body, two cut'n'shuts for the top of the underframe (running plate)  and a complete replacement of the under frame with a Parkside 9'0" wb under frame kit PA08. The top of the underframe (running plate?) is far, far too deep making the model over a millimetre too high, so I skim off as much as possible from the underneath using a mini drill and mini milling cutter before filing it flat and smooth to take the sole bars. Slots have to be cut at each end to take the bottom door mechanisms and along each side to mimic and open underframe. I'll give more details later. Hope that helps for a start.

Edited by Clem
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It's an age thing...

It is John,

And it doesn't get better!

Speaking of age, today an older-than-I-am friend (a very dear one) and I are going to the Nottingham Show. I read yesterday that one thing being considered in view of the coronavirus business is to suggest that pensioners 'stay indoors'. One even-older friend is doing just that. 

I've no wish to make this modellers' thread into a health debate (there is a separate thread discussing the crisis), but, given that (from my observations), the age-demographic of punters at model railway shows is 'getting-on' (should we say mainly pensioners?), then, if the advice is given (and taken), how might that affect shows? 

Two years ago the marvellous Nottingham Show was cruelly-crippled by the 'Beast from the East'. So much so, that it's now much smaller (I'm assuming this), though still of high-quality. For entirely different reasons, might we see this becoming the future norm? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It is John,

Speaking of age, today an older-than-I-am friend (a very dear one) and I are going to the Nottingham Show. I read yesterday that one thing being considered in view of the coronavirus business is to suggest that pensioners 'stay indoors'. One even-older friend is doing just that. 

I've no wish to make this modellers' thread into a health debate (there is a separate thread discussing the crisis), but, given that (from my observations), the age-demographic of punters at model railway shows is 'getting-on' (should we say mainly pensioners?), then, if the advice is given (and taken), how might that affect shows? 

Two years ago the marvellous Nottingham Show was cruelly-crippled by the 'Beast from the East'. So much so, that it's now much smaller (I'm assuming this), though still of high-quality. For entirely different reasons, might we see this becoming the future norm? 

Regards,

Tony. 

The evidence seems to me that in the current state of things the risk of contracting the virus at a public gathering is minimal.  For a Premiership game with 50,000 spectators in an open air stadium, the number of people infected is projected as being in the low single figures [Source: epidemiology prof on Radio 4 - not as knowledgeable and  reliable as President Trump but the best the BBC could manage].  The ban on sporting events has more to do with whole clubs self-isolating (the West Ham defence has been doing this all season of course) and the strain on public resources of policing etc.

So, there is not much logic in not going to model railway shows, but t.hat's not to say that attendances will be seriously down, since logic is always in short supply in these circumstances.  Not excluding myself:  we are running out of toilet rolls and I am reluctant to pop down to Savers to buy some in case the neighbours think I am hoarding.

Tone

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It is John,

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I’m following your thread from Spain

where we have just been locked down, everything closed except Supermarkets and Pharmacists for at least the next two weeks.

Spain is well ahead of the UK in virus related numbers at present and looking at what’s happening  here I would be very surprised if any large size model railway shows go ahead in the UK for the time being just to prevent large gatherings of people.

We will be flying back to the UK Tuesday providing they do not close the Airports.

To all RMWeb members stay safe and well

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hollar said:

The ban on sporting events has more to do with whole clubs self-isolating (the West Ham defence has been doing this all season of course) 

They’re amateurs, Stevenage FC had pre season training in Wuhan. :/

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hollar said:

So, there is not much logic in not going to model railway shows,

I'm not so sure about that. There are several differences with say a crowd at a football match. Firstly the attendees (both exhibitors and punters) have a lot higher average age and are more likely to be in the high risk target demographic (age, underlying health issues, etc.)

And at a model railway exhibition the crowd walks around to see the layouts and mixes and mingles far more than in a stadium where you have a seat and don't wander from stand to stand.

Finally, of course, a footie game lasts less that two hours (with half time) whereas one might be at a model railway show for twice that time. A lot more potential exposure.

But it's up to individuals to assess their own particular risk and make their own minds up rather than be swayed one way or the other (including by what I have written above). Stay safe and secure everyone.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

My understanding is that the problem with large crowds is not so much passing on infection, but reducing the strain on ambulance and other health resources. How many ambulances are normally standing by at a show?

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, grahame said:

I'm not so sure about that. There are several differences with say a crowd at a football match. Firstly the attendees (both exhibitors and punters) have a lot higher average age and are more likely to be in the high risk target demographic (age, underlying health issues, etc.)

And at a model railway exhibition the crowd walks around to see the layouts and mixes and mingles far more than in a stadium where you have a seat and don't wander from stand to stand.

Finally, of course, a footie game lasts less that two hours (with half time) whereas one might be at a model railway show for twice that time. A lot more potential exposure.

But it's up to individuals to assess their own particular risk and make their own minds up rather than be swayed one way or the other (including by what I have written above). Stay safe and secure everyone.

The issue at football matches is before , after the game and at half-time. There’s usually a scrummage (I know wrong sport) around toilets, bars, turnstiles etc. Perhaps chanting may be an issue, spittle getting everywhere. 

I agee, one has to look after ones self and not jepodise the community as a whole. My club has decided to close until early April to protect the older, more vulnerable members. 

Regards Robert

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

The issue at football matches is before , after the game and at half-time. There’s usually a scrummage (I know wrong sport) around toilets, bars, turnstiles etc. Perhaps chanting may be an issue, spittle getting everywhere. 

Generally each stand, and often upper and lower sections/tiers,  certainly in my experience from the grounds I visit, have their own entrances, half time bars and toilet facilities so everyone doesn't mingle like at a model railway show. And home and away supporters are segregated. But, no doubt, all large gatherings of people present a risk. I just think model railway shows present more of a risk than footie games.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Generally each stand, and often upper and lower sections/tiers,  certainly in my experience from the grounds I visit, have their own entrances, half time bars and toilet facilities so everyone doesn't mingle like at a model railway show. And home and away supporters are segregated. But, no doubt, all large gatherings of people present a risk. I just think model railway shows present more of a risk than footie games.

I’m not disagreeing  with anything you say, but even each section of a ground will contain between say 3000 and 10000 people.

Anyway as someone has just posted, the main issue is ‘wasting emergency’ services resources.

Anyway must get some work done and hopefully some modelling later!

keep well all,

Robert

• Like 1

Very much enjoyed Tony’s article in the April RM of which the digital issue is now available.  As ever, it makes you want to buy the kit!  One question on the valve gear though if I may.  DJH’s web page seems to indicate the valve gear comes pre assembled.  Tony, is this something you take advantage of or do you build your own?

edit:  I also enjoyed the Trowbridge pictures - looks a lovely layout!

David

Edited by Clearwater
Another point
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Very much enjoyed Tony’s article in the April RM of which the digital issue is now available.  As ever, it makes you want to buy the kit!  One question on the valve gear though if I may.  DJH’s web page seems to indicate the valve gear comes pre assembled.  Tony, is this something you take advantage of or do you build your own?

David

Good afternoon David,

Glad you liked it.

As far as I know, the only valve gear assembled in DJH kits is that provided in the A2/2 and A2/3 kits.

I much prefer to make my own anyway, preferring soldering to riveting. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Tony,

I have made the decision not to attend the Nottingham show because of Covid-19. It's right my doorstep and would have gone. But my partner Chris is definitely more vulnerable than I am and I can't take the risk of bringing infection back and put her at great risk. But, as I was intending to go, I have emailed the show's organiser asking for a donation link so that I can donate the price of two tickets to the society to help their financial situation if they get a much reduced turnout. 

It was a good show, Clem,

Modest, compared with what the Bulwell Club used to put on years ago, but still very enjoyable. 

As usual, apart from a few families, the age-profile of the visitors was high (my friend and I contributing to that!), but the feeling was one of 'just getting on' with life. 

It's worth attending, but I understand your reluctance.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dave Stone and I were exhibiting at the Basingstoke show today. It was very quiet other than a short time in the afternoon when a few more families were around. It will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes but if this reflects a typical attendance for UK shows in the next few months, I would be surprised if many went ahead. One trader I spoke to had only sold six items before lunchtime.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1