Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I think as time goes on most things involving a crowd even of modest size will be cancelled or postponed, I've received notification today that the Great Eastern Railway Society have rescheduled their AGM to later in the year.

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Dave Stone and I were exhibiting at the Basingstoke show today. It was very quiet other than a short time in the afternoon when a few more families were around. It will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes but if this reflects a typical attendance for UK shows in the next few months, I would be surprised if many went ahead. One trader I spoke to had only sold six items before lunchtime.

Not knowing/forgot this was on, I saw the yellow signs when driving through Basingscrote today and was tempted to visit but sadly domestic commitments meant I needed to get home, plus in compensation I should be visiting Ally Pally next week.  Of course this assumes that show isn't cancelled before then....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Dave Stone and I were exhibiting at the Basingstoke show today. It was very quiet other than a short time in the afternoon when a few more families were around. It will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes but if this reflects a typical attendance for UK shows in the next few months, I would be surprised if many went ahead. One trader I spoke to had only sold six items before lunchtime.

Well that's spurred me on to plan to visit tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Erichill16 said:

The way things are going it might be your last chance for a while!

enjoy your morning,

regards Robert

Yes, my Spring exhibition calendar is looking worryingly at risk:

Swallowfield, 9 May (my local club)

ExpoEM Bracknell, 16/17 May

Railex, Stoke Mandeville, 23/24 May

We'll just have to wait and see...

7 minutes ago, grahame said:

People often ask for and request to see an overview of progress of all the buildings activity I've been undertaking.

Well, here's a very rough pic showing the relationship and basic positioning of the buildings in the block. At the front is St Thomas Street (that will be the front edge of the layout), the other side of Telephone House and Fielden House is London Bridge Street while the left/far end is Borough High Street. The buildings are just plonked down (although far from RTP models as everything is scratch-built) and are not in accurate final positions. Also the levels they sit on needs to be adjusted and the terrace is tilted as it is balancing on the semi-basements protrusion which can't be accommodated in the dining room table while others are a little wobbly being temporarily positioned. Plus, of course, none are fully finished.

DSC_9185.JPG.03147bed878924741c6f945b64c3dc01.JPG

Comparison with the aerial view (in a post of mine several pages back) shows that there are a few buildings missing; one each side of Telephone House and one to the right of the Georgian offices terrace, but this is to allow for compressions of the scene. However, hopefully it is still reminiscent and captures the look and atmosphere of the area. Or at least will do when finished.

Looking very good Grahame, did a bit of paperwork this afternoon (after our conversation) and even managed half an hours modelling.

Keep up the excellent work.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two years ago the marvellous Nottingham Show was cruelly-crippled by the 'Beast from the East'. So much so, that it's now much smaller (I'm assuming this), though still of high-quality. For entirely different reasons, might we see this becoming the future norm? 

Regards,

Tony. 

With two of the last three Nottingham shows being nobbled by unforseen events, it proves that you need more than a willing and capable team and suitable venue. A helpful dose of good luck goes a long way. The current show format seems to be more refreshing and less susceptible to financial risk.

I'll be back there tomorrow with my gaudy 3d 1990s version of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks...

IMG_20200304_200156~3.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 298 said:

With two of the last three Nottingham shows being nobbled by unforseen events, it proves that you need more than a willing and capable team and suitable venue. A helpful dose of good luck goes a long way. The current show format seems to be more refreshing and less susceptible to financial risk.

I'll be back there tomorrow with my gaudy 3d 1990s version of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks...

IMG_20200304_200156~3.jpg

Now that I like!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well that's spurred me on to plan to visit tomorrow morning!

Did so do (Basingstoke show) - primarily because Sherton Abbas was there. I don't believe there is at present a more exquisite layout on the circuit in the south of England. Quite apart from the quality of the modelling*, the extra mass of the larger scale always works for me at exhibitions - the silky-smooth motion of the Dean Goods over the pointwork was a joy to watch. 

I supported the smaller firms by buying a book (Lightmoor) and a kit (Roxey). I was surprised that at an exhibition of this size I should so struggle to find a vendor of rolling stock kits - Roxey was the only such. No-one selling such modelling bread-and-butter as Parkside or Cambrian.

*The solebar numberplates on the S&DJR wagons were especially pleasing to the eye.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks again, David,

I'm glad the RM published my piece on the DJH 'Semi'. It shows (or at least I hope it does) that the 'What's the point of building a kit when there's an RTR equivalent?' question wasn't asked by the Editor, and the mag still sees such a piece as suitable for inclusion, despite that RTR equivalent being very good.  

I'm delighted that the new manager at BRM is also looking to publish similar material - material which requires something to be built - 'modelled' in fact.

Trowbridge really is a beautiful layout, and I hope more of the pictures I took will be used over time.

791236441_Trowbridge10.jpg.d07a6b02a9d2ec36bd098239a0162ad1.jpg

This shot was used on the contents' page.............

1662933260_Trowbridge26.jpg.c2d83affb0d5b00f56235045cebe0b53.jpg

And this one shows the ROD a bit further along the scenic section.

More has been done on the layout since I took the pictures, and I'll be returning for some more photography. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony, the two track scenic section of this layout is superb, for something in theory so simple this really does capture the era.

Regards Peter

Edited by petrovich
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, petrovich said:

Good evening Tony, the two track scenic section of this layout is superb, for something in theory so simple this really does capture the era.

Regards Peter

Agreed and it looks to be a long enough section to be able to capture scale length trains without them completely filling the visible section.  

For readers of this thread, there’s some interesting comments by the author saying how he’d gone back to modelling a prototype location as he’d found a fictional location dissatisfying.  

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Agreed and it looks to be a long enough section to be able to capture scale length trains without them completely filling the visible section.  

For readers of this thread, there’s some interesting comments by the author saying how he’d gone back to modelling a prototype location as he’d found a fictional location dissatisfying.  

David

'Agreed and it looks to be a long enough section to be able to capture scale length trains without them completely filling the visible section.'

It is long enough David,

1101861730_Trowbridge06.jpg.d0e9ccebac23fe4a15f1c274988839eb.jpg

It captures the pre-War GWR perfectly in my opinion.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

On 13/03/2020 at 23:35, Clem said:

Hi Andrew. I haven't photoed the conversion but Chris keeps saying she wants to photo a project and I'll be doing another one very soon. In the meantime,  in words first...   Basically it's a cut and shut for the body, two cut'n'shuts for the top of the underframe (running plate)  and a complete replacement of the under frame with a Parkside 9'0" wb under frame kit PA08. The top of the underframe (running plate?) is far, far too deep making the model over a millimetre too high, so I skim off as much as possible from the underneath using a mini drill and mini milling cutter before filing it flat and smooth to take the sole bars. Slots have to be cut at each end to take the bottom door mechanisms and along each side to mimic and open underframe. I'll give more details later. Hope that helps for a start.

Thanks, Clem,

I was pondering whether it would be possible to cut the platform away, filing it back was not an option that I considered. How much of the framing is visible from above the platform? The Parkside 9' RCH underframe looks a good replacement for the oversize Bachmann one, how much did you reduce the size of the hopper in length?

A bit of progress on my roughly representational N/2mm Telephone House model tonight - managed to paint and get 74 windows fitted and the walls in place on the carcass. Next for the fun element - making and adding the details like hopper-heads, down-pipes, doors, coping stones, chimneys, etc.:

DSC_9195.JPG.ebde7fc90bd1a9eb96e283271fc46fd5.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Certainly many things to ponder at the moment................................

I wonder how delayed the new RTR products announced this year will be because of coronavirus?

584872072_A23605139F92037.jpg.6d7c79af143847fec0db952135d239e1.jpg

I'd rather doubt that the Hornby A2/3 will be available this year. Not that I'll have an RTR one, and for now kit-built (or scratch-built) A2/3s are the way to go; like this one (DJH/Wright/Rathbone), 60513 DANTE. The adjacent 9F is also from DJH, but Bachmann or Hornby ones have been with us for a long time.

1691895657_SEFinecastW160700.jpg.52060c333670e31240dcba361ebb8fcb.jpg

The same situation will exist with the forthcoming W1. This one (SE Finecast/Wright/Rathbone) has run on Stoke and LB for well over 20 years now. One friend, who's had a W1 made for him from a Hornby A4/Graeme King meld felt rather miffed because 'anyone will be able to have one now'. Perhaps not quite now, but I'm sure Hornby's will be excellent. 

143247758_PDKO24.jpg.14eadf0a1fcae3c7158c96289e99c230.jpg

And Heljan have announced an O2/2 (and its derivatives) for this year. This 'Tango' (PDK/Wright) is an O2/1 fitted with a B1 boiler to make it into an O2/4. Will this manifestation be available eventually?

Is anything 'safe' from RTR?

2132319771_A1160113.jpg.dda48de46df3e65e380d2fc0594f474b.jpg

Definitely this, though who knows? Surely the 'despised' A1/1 GREAT NORTHERN will never be available out-of-the-box. I've had this example (Crownline/Wright/Rathbone) for nearly a quarter of a century, and it's still going strong!  It replaced one I scratch-built years before........

What about something like this?

176656302_DJHB161.jpg.baf76567e37d11ff7003ce1f40cbfe47.jpg

B16s of any kind don't appear to be on any RTR radar. This one is entirely Tony Geary's work, built from a much-modified DJH kit. I acquired it after he went to O Gauge. It's going from the Down slow to the Down fast, on an empty stock working.

I offered a kit-built B16 to Gilbert Barnatt (Peterborough North), but he didn't seem too interested. Yet, though not every day, B16s south of Grantham were not that uncommon, even going on to Kings Cross. Still, Geoff West is collecting it tomorrow. 

Here it is.....

1449889600_B16361454.jpg.bcf7877f39f9cd1f257bb161318c3ece.jpg

2089867873_PDKB16361454.jpg.099d6c953b4df19aebbdad95bbc93803.jpg

Originally built for Tom Foster by John Houlden, using a PDK kit, it came my way as part of barter. I made sure it went well, and Tom weathered it (I think so). However, since I already have two B16/3s I've built myself, I have no need of another (four B16s is enough for LB), even though it's a lovely loco. 

1835054113_A21O47.jpg.b1ff81c956a53a110bc3ebbfaef572a0.jpg

Two more which are pretty 'safe'. There is not enough commonality between the A2/1s and the A2/3s for Hornby to contemplate one, is there? 60508 (Jamieson hand-cut kit/Wright) and its three siblings will remain the kit-/scratch-builders' domain. 

As for an O4/7; this one was built from a Little Engines' kit by Rob Kinsey and painted/weathered by me. Does anyone do a boiler/cab for this type to fit a Bachmann O4? 

1892916022_J6O48.jpg.bdb8bd79014e39643fab448a6d4b26d0.jpg

The J6 seems to score highly on wish lists, but nothing as yet RTR. This one's built from a Nu-Cast kit by Ian Wilson, then rebuilt (it was glued together!)/painted/weathered by me. 

As for the O4/8, this is from my distant past. It's got K's frames (though nothing else mechanically), a K's footplate and tender from the firm's ROD. The boiler/cab are scratch-built. Doesn't Bill Bedford do a resin top for the Bachmann O4 to make this class? 

So, at least still some ER/NER types to keep the builders going.

Speaking of building, that's what I intend doing during the forthcoming 'confinement' for the over 70s. I've got lots of solder, lots of flux and a stash of kits to be going on with including a D16/3, two C12s, another J6, a J17, an 8F, plus four L&Y and GWR locos to build for Geoff Haynes, plus a couple of SR locos for a mate. Not to mention several carriages.

Asking the over-70s to not go out (for months?) will surely have a huge impact on shows. 

May I ask everyone to keep as safe as they can, please? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 19

On 14/03/2020 at 19:17, Tony Wright said:

Thanks again, David,

I'm glad the RM published my piece on the DJH 'Semi'. It shows (or at least I hope it does) that the 'What's the point of building a kit when there's an RTR equivalent?' question wasn't asked by the Editor, and the mag still sees such a piece as suitable for inclusion, despite that RTR equivalent being very good.  

I'm delighted that the new manager at BRM is also looking to publish similar material - material which requires something to be built - 'modelled' in fact.

Trowbridge really is a beautiful layout, and I hope more of the pictures I took will be used over time.

791236441_Trowbridge10.jpg.d07a6b02a9d2ec36bd098239a0162ad1.jpg

This shot was used on the contents' page.............

1662933260_Trowbridge26.jpg.c2d83affb0d5b00f56235045cebe0b53.jpg

And this one shows the ROD a bit further along the scenic section.

More has been done on the layout since I took the pictures, and I'll be returning for some more photography. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

another great scenic layout, though I'm not that keen on photo back scenes myself, perhaps a slight blur filter would help it blend in more. The Siphons look superb, while the locomotives look a little plastic. However, it is a shame that the 'I W Baldwin' mineral wagon behind the locomotive looks to be straight out of the box, in addition, it is fictitious model. Does the latter count as unacceptable?

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Yep, probably many multiple units, and especially EMUs, in N gauge. And perhaps singles for the steam fan.

G

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Tony,

another great scenic layout, though I'm not that keen on photo back scenes myself, perhaps a slight blur filter would help it blend in more. The Siphons look superb, while the locomotives look a little plastic. However, it is a shame that the 'I W Baldwin' mineral wagon behind the locomotive looks to be straight out of the box, in addition, it is fictitious model. Does the latter count as unacceptable?

Good evening Andrew,

'Does the latter count as unacceptable?

Only if you know...........

Regards,

Tony. 

4 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yep, probably many multiple units, and especially EMUs, in N gauge. And perhaps singles for the steam fan.

G

I almost gave up on kits as as soon as I bought one a rtr would be announced. A1,O4,J11,L1 and D11. I sold some of them off as I knew I wouldn’t be able to paint/line them to the standard required but was happy with the finish of my J11. I’ve still got an N5, C13, J6 and exGC fish engine to tackle most of which are unlikely to be made rtr. 
As Tony says, keep well and be sensible,

regards Robert

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Headstock said:

. . . , though I'm not that keen on photo back scenes myself, perhaps a slight blur filter would help it blend in more. The Siphons look superb, while the locomotives look a little plastic. However, it is a shame that the 'I W Baldwin' mineral wagon behind the locomotive looks to be straight out of the box, in addition, it is fictitious model. Does the latter count as unacceptable?

I wouldn't know if the truck is fictitious but I don't disagree with your other comments. It does look like there are chunky Hornby tension lock couplers on the wagons.

However, for me at least, overall it is a pleasant, pleasing and cohesive scene, if a little bland.

G

18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think that there is plenty that is 'safe' from RTR in N gauge. For example.

20200313_185736.jpg.04e1ff243cb75f53762c5a5d6f1925f1.jpg

I doubt that we'll see a Howdlen Lavatory Composite anytime soon.

Nor a D 248D third.

20200315_123944-1.jpg.8135b44478962b7dfcbadb9b2274edb7.jpg

...and I'd be surprised if anyone produces this 58'6" buffet conversion.

1273002986_BuffetCar58-6.jpg.fa9222ba5eeb7955c4486c33dd9ce99a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2