Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I am struggling to identify the prototype of the 4 wheeler. It doesn't look like one of "ours" (GNR/GCR).

Is it the progenitor of the Hattons generic fleet?

• Funny 6

32 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Perhaps we should build such things from wood rather than brass, plastic or resin, so we can model the rotting panels that such vehicles often show. I don't know if it is just me but building something deliberately "wonky" just doesn't come easily, even if I know that the prototype was like that in reality. Bent handrails or footplates on locos, grotty beading on carriages, it just never looks right on a model. No matter what photo evidence exists, it always looks more like shoddy workmanship.

I am struggling to identify the prototype of the 4 wheeler. It doesn't look like one of "ours" (GNR/GCR).

The Howlden vehicles have much GNR character and I have a number of D & S kits stashed away, which will form a GNR period set one day. Were the metal disk wheels common on these types? The ones I have seen have usually had the wooden type.

Thanks Tony,

I think the original prototype for the four-wheeler was ex-NBR (meaning it's a little further south than expected - in fact, a lot further south!). 

The wheels? They were stock items, but, you're right, they should probably be wooden-centred. An easy change. 

Wonky modelling? 

268338208_D3062437benthandrail.jpg.2b738389b5bc0c0183a999f750c4a5ea.jpg

1999741386_D3462474benthandrail.jpg.b7ad7cc724356fa78c294aa4e877af48.jpg

Probably been seen before, but still relevant. 

I can only conclude that one dome-fitter at Haymarket must have been particularly porcine!

I'd never fit a handrail on a model as wonky as these........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a transparency, and I've no idea how to scan it.

I'll investigate, though it probably will mean breaking the 'curfew'!

Regards,

Tony. 

I can scan slides if necessary in any size up to A4. Postage to France wouldn't break quarantine rules.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

There’s a nice fella in Australia that will gladly take them off your hands ;) 

Nasty Aussie wants my precious.........

Well he can't have 'em 'cos they is mine!

(Best said in a Gollum style hiss)

Sorry Jesse, I still have one more 4mm layout in me and the GNR stock will be needed. Along with the stash of GCR kits and some Midland ones too.

A few weeks at home might just see a bit of progress on it. It will be to the old "Manchester EM" standards, which are finer than present EM ones but will allow my more modern EM stuff to run on it too.

Here is a little taster.

DSCN2393.JPG.206bddeef623da98c578c5b4633e8941.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony,

I think the original prototype for the four-wheeler was ex-NBR (meaning it's a little further south than expected - in fact, a lot further south!). 

The wheels? They were stock items, but, you're right, they should probably be wooden-centred. An easy change. 

Wonky modelling? 

268338208_D3062437benthandrail.jpg.2b738389b5bc0c0183a999f750c4a5ea.jpg

1999741386_D3462474benthandrail.jpg.b7ad7cc724356fa78c294aa4e877af48.jpg

Probably been seen before, but still relevant. 

I can only conclude that one dome-fitter at Haymarket must have been particularly porcine!

I'd never fit a handrail on a model as wonky as these........

Regards,

Tony. 

Just what I mean. Imagine having the nerve to make a nice straight handrail, all parallel and level and then do that to it. I just couldn't bring myself. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Just what I mean. Imagine having the nerve to make a nice straight handrail, all parallel and level and then do that to it. I just couldn't bring myself. 

Having spent a great deal of time recently, working through some large, on-line photo collections, I have been amazed at how often deformed boiler handrails appear.

I struggle to think of how this damage could occur; the only situation that occurred to me - beside overweight cleaners - was the temporary tying-up of valvegear components as a consequence of a failure.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Having spent a great deal of time recently, working through some large, on-line photo collections, I have been amazed at how often deformed boiler handrails appear.

I struggle to think of how this damage could occur; the only situation that occurred to me - beside overweight cleaners - was the temporary tying-up of valvegear components as a consequence of a failure.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I believe the handrail came in very useful for flinging a rope or block & tackle over whilst lifting heavy valve gear parts or con rods back into position .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I believe the handrail came in very useful for flinging a rope or block & tackle over whilst lifting heavy valve gear parts or con rods back into position .

Cheers ,

Ray .

Of course - makes eminent sense.

I doubt that the shedmaster would have approved, though.

I'd guess that there were a few tickings-off when the load proved too much for the handrail.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Currently looking for a X9181 gear for a Hornby Stanier tank.  I know they are like hens teeth. Does anyone know an alternative? Its the gear between the worm and the drive wheel gear.

Mine ( like so many others ) is split.

Thanks

Bob UK

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Has Hornby finally cracked the lack of haulage power in its steam-outline RTR locos?

1231270842_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370909.jpg.71bf6591db145e5a61b9c1b4ba2e96a5.jpg

I've just finished photographing and writing my review of the latest Hornby 'Princess Royal'. 

Its haulage capacity is remarkable. Here it is on 14 kit-built bogies (and an RTR horsebox), which it's just walked away with. No Hornby A3 or A4 will touch this, nor Bachmann's Peppercorn Pacifics, either. 

At last!

1842192711_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370908.jpg.5d25660e47377f5bd6c603fd7c0cd400.jpg

Here's the 'drive'. I have no idea whether this is different from what's gone before, but it's certainly impressive (it also includes a firebox glow). 

Is this the metal bodied anniversary one?  If it is I can see Hornby and others going back 50 years making the likes of the A4 with a metal body

15 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Is this the metal bodied anniversary one?  If it is I can see Hornby and others going back 50 years making the likes of the A4 with a metal body

I think it's plastic.......

The die-cast one will be a 'Duchess', 'recreating' what Hornby-Dublo did with its DUCHESS OF ATHOLL all those years ago. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Are others turning the time they've now got into making models and/or taking photographs?

I initially thought that I'd have plenty of modelling time - but being in charge of IT for a small but national company, suddenly a busy job has changed into a run ragged job whilst trying to increase the infrastructure to change from a few home users to over 100 on zero budget. Fortunately I'd been pushing for better resources in recent months so was in a good position a couple of weeks ago to get started on it but it's been interesting!

Stay safe everybody. We're sitting waiting to find out if IT comes under the list of protected jobs which would mean our daughter definitely gets to remain at school - my wife is NHS staff (not frontline) but we don't know if just one parent being protected means a space is available or if it has to be both - if only one she would most likely be the one to stay home for childcare as her wages are lower than mine, and my company could end up in a right mess if I'm forced to be away. In truth the NHS can manage without her in her role for a few weeks.

Stressful times but we're getting on as best we can - it's the not knowing that's the worst.

edit: not looking for sympathy - there are families out there a heck of a lot worse than we are.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

I built this D9 from a McGowan kit for the 1938 event on Little Bytham in 2018. Geoff Haynes painted it. I'll keep it for the moment, but one future option is to change the dome to the lower sort and make it an immediate post-War example. Some D9s finished off on the M&GNR.  

Tony

Sacrilage! Such a great loco. Far better to look at it in its prime. 

Richard 

Been in isolation for two days so far but they have been frantic preparing online resources for our students who may be off school for sometime. It is proving hard as despite a long term condition I have almost no time off work and am usually in the thick of things. My aim is to not become an NHS statitstic so staying away from everyone is a necessity.

Did manage a bit of time to start weathering the Claud, a first coat of acrylic paint and ground charcoal trying to recreate a photo of this loco in Yeadon. Dry brushing and ground up chalks to follow.

IMG_20200319_200927017.jpg.410c61f18fdb8b610c814c49ab6d7c4c.jpg

IMG_20200319_200934877_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.29d20e607dcc757fede3b1e3f17ac325.jpg

Wheel rims have also been toned down on the chassis.

Martyn

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, richard i said:

I built this D9 from a McGowan kit for the 1938 event on Little Bytham in 2018. Geoff Haynes painted it. I'll keep it for the moment, but one future option is to change the dome to the lower sort and make it an immediate post-War example. Some D9s finished off on the M&GNR.  

Tony

Sacrilage! Such a great loco. Far better to look at it in its prime. 

Richard 

I am not sure that words like "McGowan kit" and "great loco" belong in the same post!

A D9, especially as built (GCR Class 11B) is one of the best looking locos ever built. Sadly, the same praise cannot be given to the dreadful McGowan kit.

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Nasty Aussie wants my precious.........

Well he can't have 'em 'cos they is mine!

(Best said in a Gollum style hiss)

Sorry Jesse, I still have one more 4mm layout in me and the GNR stock will be needed. Along with the stash of GCR kits and some Midland ones too.

A few weeks at home might just see a bit of progress on it. It will be to the old "Manchester EM" standards, which are finer than present EM ones but will allow my more modern EM stuff to run on it too.

Here is a little taster.

DSCN2393.JPG.206bddeef623da98c578c5b4633e8941.JPG

Now I want to watch Lord of the Rings! 

Funny enough talking about movies, on the phone last night havIng a yarn with Tony, we have a deal for next time I’m over, if I sit through a whole cricket match with him, he’ll watch a Star Wars movie with me, I wonder who’d be the first one to fall asleep......

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Jesse Sim said:

Now I want to watch Lord of Rings! 

Funny enough talking about movies, on the phone last night have a yarn with Tony, we have a deal for next time I’m over, if I sit through a whole cricket match with him, he’ll watch a Star Wars movie with me, I wonder who’d be the first one to fall asleep......

Well worth a watch. I read the book well before I saw the films and it was the first time a film matched the pictures in my head that the book put there. One of my modelling visitors from New Zealand has been doing a part time job running tours of the film set for Hobbiton (Hi Andy!).

Are we talking a 5 day test or a one day game? Don't make Tony watch the more recent films. Go back to the first one (episode IV). I remember going to the cinema to see it as a youngster and being blown away. Nobody had done anything like it before.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Well worth a watch. I read the book well before I saw the films and it was the first time a film matched the pictures in my head that the book put there.

Yes, I enjoyed the book immensely and couldn’t put it down once I started. Then I saw the films and it was ‘wow!’ just like I imagined.

Though I must admit I wasn’t  keen on ‘The Hobbit’ films.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

One side-effect of self-isolation is now far more time to spend on railway modelling, including, in my case, taking more pictures of Little Bytham.

Are others turning the time they've now got into making models and/or taking photographs?

Just recently had a massive increase in SLS and York Show IT work due to notifying and updating everything for the cancellations.  After about another week of catching up though, yes it is going to be model making, gardening and DIY catch ups as all the social activities my wife and I also do are now cancelled.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I’m having to come out of isolation (semi-retirement) and return to work as I’m a pharmacist!

But I hope you all manage to get some worthwhile modelling done, after of course doing the household chores.  

Keep well and be sensible.

regards Robert

• Thanks 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2