Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1867576188_overallview55D9onMGNR.jpg.e312787de9c9b8289e6d9be117936d3f.jpg

Little Bytham.jpg

I'm reminded of that excellent '80s TV series "The Train Now Departing" and its haunting theme tune and opening shot.

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Yes, I enjoyed the book immensely and couldn’t put it down once I started. Then I saw the films and it was ‘wow!’ just like I imagined.

Though I must admit I wasn’t  keen on ‘The Hobbit’ films.

Same here with "The Hobbit". A short story spread over three long films with too much added and made up padding.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Little Bytham.jpg

I'm reminded of that excellent '80s TV series "The Train Now Departing" and its haunting theme tune and opening shot.

Interesting to see the real location.

Edited by nerron
spelling

I'm not particularly well versed in the offerings of kits that aren't southern related. 

Could someone point me in the direction of kits that are available currently of non RTR Parcels stock?

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Now I want to watch Lord of the Rings! 

Funny enough talking about movies, on the phone last night havIng a yarn with Tony, we have a deal for next time I’m over, if I sit through a whole cricket match with him, he’ll watch a Star Wars movie with me, I wonder who’d be the first one to fall asleep......

Tony.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Well worth a watch. I read the book well before I saw the films and it was the first time a film matched the pictures in my head that the book put there. One of my modelling visitors from New Zealand has been doing a part time job running tours of the film set for Hobbiton (Hi Andy!).

7 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Yes, I enjoyed the book immensely and couldn’t put it down once I started. Then I saw the films and it was ‘wow!’ just like I imagined.

Though I must admit I wasn’t  keen on ‘The Hobbit’ films.

I never watched any of the Tolkien films as I didn't want my mental images from the books spoiled.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I never watched any of the Tolkien films as I didn't want my mental images from the books spoiled.

I have...a key character was mislaid.. Tom Bombadil ..the ring had no effect on him and he looked after the Ent forest

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack P said:

I'm not particularly well versed in the offerings of kits that aren't southern related. 

Could someone point me in the direction of kits that are available currently of non RTR Parcels stock?

Thanks in advance!

Parkside have LMS. LNER, and GWR 4-wheeled CCTs. Comet ditto BGs.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Funny enough talking about movies, on the phone last night havIng a yarn with Tony, we have a deal for next time I’m over, if I sit through a whole cricket match with him, he’ll watch a Star Wars movie with me, I wonder who’d be the first one to fall asleep......

And a most-amusing chat, Jesse,

Thank you. 

Interesting how this thread develops - films now.

From our conversation, you'll know I have no liking for any of the Star Wars films (and, tangentially, for any of the Lord of the Rings films - I 'had' to go to the cinema to see one of them, taking my wife, sister-in-law and niece. I fell asleep, only to awakened by a cave troll's roaring. Never again!).

My choice in films is far less 'exciting'. In no particular order - The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Hobson's Choice, Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Cruel Sea, In Which We Serve, I'm All Right Jack, School For Scoundrels, Folly To Be Wise, and so on and so on. 

I'm not a great fan of science fiction, though Alien was worth watching I thought. I think there was one called Silent Running (with Bruce Dern, or Derne?), which had a most-interesting plot, though the alien special effects were rubbish. 

I find I cannot watch more-recent films. Why not? I can't understand what's being said - the actors just mumble!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Edited by Tony Wright
post appeared twice

• RMweb Premium

That is a stunning picture, Tony: it could almost be 2mm scale.  One comment, if I may.  The flower pots look very ‘plonked’. They also look to be laser cut - maybe tone then down a bit in the woodwork?
image.jpeg.32149aa325c3dfb86a03cfea2a86564c.jpeg

Tim

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

That is a stunning picture, Tony: it could almost be 2mm scale.  One comment, if I may.  The flower pots look very ‘plonked’. They also look to be laser cut - maybe tone then down a bit in the woodwork?

Tim

Yep, I agree, a great photo. And not only is the image/photography sharp, so too is the modelling. Perhaps even maybe too sharp and pristine (without wanting to sound critical).

• RMweb Premium

I could be so tempted by one of these. I had a Triang Princess which I tried to ‘improve’, to look like the picture in my father’s the pre war Hornby Book of Trains.  The stonking great weight at the front might account for its performance. However, one LMS pacific should be enough as I have  one of the centenary Duchesses on order, which should perform well in the haulage stakes: I always wanted the HD City of London.   I suppose that as you get older you attempt to requite some of your youthful yearnings.

Tim

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Has Hornby finally cracked the lack of haulage power in its steam-outline RTR locos?

1231270842_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370909.jpg.71bf6591db145e5a61b9c1b4ba2e96a5.jpg

I've just finished photographing and writing my review of the latest Hornby 'Princess Royal'. 

Its haulage capacity is remarkable. Here it is on 14 kit-built bogies (and an RTR horsebox), which it's just walked away with. No Hornby A3 or A4 will touch this, nor Bachmann's Peppercorn Pacifics, either. 

At last!

1842192711_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370908.jpg.5d25660e47377f5bd6c603fd7c0cd400.jpg

Here's the 'drive'. I have no idea whether this is different from what's gone before, but it's certainly impressive (it also includes a firebox glow). 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yep, I agree, a great photo. And not only is the image/photography sharp, so too is the modelling. Perhaps even maybe too sharp and pristine (without wanting to sound critical).

Maybe an eensy weensy bit of grass / lichens around the bases of the buildings - to help kill the dreaded crack disease?

Tim

44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And a most-amusing chat, Jesse,

Thank you. 

Interesting how this thread develops - films now.

From our conversation, you'll know I have no liking for any of the Star Wars films (and, tangentially, for any of the Lord of the Rings films - I 'had' to go to the cinema to see one of them, taking my wife, sister-in-law and niece. I fell asleep, only to awakened by a cave troll's roaring. Never again!).

My choice in films is far less 'exciting'. In no particular order - The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Hobson's Choice, Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Cruel Sea, In Which We Serve, I'm All Right Jack, School For Scoundrels, Folly To Be Wise, and so on and so on. 

I'm not a great fan of science fiction, though Alien was worth watching I thought. I think there was one called Silent Running (with Bruce Dern, or Derne?), which had a most-interesting plot, though the alien special effects were rubbish. 

I find I cannot watch more-recent films. Why not? I can't understand what's being said - the actors just mumble!

Regards,

Tony.  

I often find it’s my own comments that cause a change in scenery on this thread....

You say you don’t enjoy new movies, clearly unless it is a Quinten Tarrantino (is that how you spell it?) movie. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

My comment about 'extra time' for modelling was meant more of a personal thing, and more directed at folk in my (retired) position.

I wish you all the very best under the circumstances (and everyone else who find themselves in a similar situation). We're very lucky (despite being in the more 'at risk' group), we don't have young children to look after and as for 'working at home', we're both retired (though I still do a lot of work at home).

I'd just like to wish everyone all the very best during this horrid crisis. In the grand scheme of things, mucking about with model trains isn't that important, but it helps to keep me sane (debatable?) 

I'll keep on making models and taking pictures, posting the results on here; if nothing else but to keep a sense of 'normality'.

Kindest regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

I knew that it wasn't aimed at myself or others in similar positions. I was more expressing my naivety that I would end up for a couple of weeks at home with nothing to do but wave a soldering iron around - and then wandered off onto a general mumble about how things have changed for me - hence adding in the not looking for sympathy bit - I'm lucky that my job *should* be relatively secure compared to so many others.

I am lucky that the company I work for has been very proactive with it all, regularly checking how we are etc.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Has Hornby finally cracked the lack of haulage power in its steam-outline RTR locos?

1231270842_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370909.jpg.71bf6591db145e5a61b9c1b4ba2e96a5.jpg

I've just finished photographing and writing my review of the latest Hornby 'Princess Royal'. 

Its haulage capacity is remarkable. Here it is on 14 kit-built bogies (and an RTR horsebox), which it's just walked away with. No Hornby A3 or A4 will touch this, nor Bachmann's Peppercorn Pacifics, either. 

At last!

1842192711_HornbyPrincessRoyalLMSR370908.jpg.5d25660e47377f5bd6c603fd7c0cd400.jpg

Here's the 'drive'. I have no idea whether this is different from what's gone before, but it's certainly impressive (it also includes a firebox glow). 

It is interesting how the same new features can elicit different responses, depending on your circumstances.  The first thing I thought of when I saw that great metal lump forward if the motor was that it looked very neat, almost like Germanic manufacture in its finish and bulk... but oh dear, there doesn’t look to be any room to fit a speaker in the smokebox and it all looks far too snug generally for fitting chips and wires.  Some milling will definitely be required to accommodate a ‘proper’ DCC fit.

Clearly the DCC socket is in the tender, but I bet there isn’t an extra wire between Loco and tender to run the ‘firebox glow’ LED directly from the chip.  And the odd shape of the metal weight in the tender is obviously designed To accommodate one of those inferior round speakers that very few people use these days, so wasting yet more space for the DCC user.

I don’t have a need for a Princess Royal on my own layout, but I do hope they don’t do the same thing with ‘Hush Hush’ or the A2/3 offerings in the pipeline!  Maybe if they had an easily removable section of the metal weights, that might work to meet everyone’s needs?

57 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Tim

I agree about the flower containers, Tim,

They are laser-cut and do need toning down. Today's job?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Chamby said:

It is interesting how the same new features can elicit different responses, depending on your circumstances.  The first thing I thought of when I saw that great metal lump forward if the motor was that it looked very neat, almost like Germanic manufacture in its finish and bulk... but oh dear, there doesn’t look to be any room to fit a speaker in the smokebox and it all looks far too snug generally for fitting chips and wires.  Some milling will definitely be required to accommodate a ‘proper’ DCC fit.

Clearly the DCC socket is in the tender, but I bet there isn’t an extra wire between Loco and tender to run the ‘firebox glow’ LED directly from the chip.  And the odd shape of the metal weight in the tender is obviously designed To accommodate one of those inferior round speakers that very few people use these days, so wasting yet more space for the DCC user.

I don’t have a need for a Princess Royal on my own layout, but I do hope they don’t do the same thing with ‘Hush Hush’ or the A2/3 offerings in the pipeline!  Maybe if they had an easily removable section of the metal weights, that might work to meet everyone’s needs?

Good morning Phil,

It would seem, then, that if one wants all the DCC gizmos (in the right place), the haulage capacity will be compromised. 

I know which I'd prioritise.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 5

52 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I often find it’s my own comments that cause a change in scenery on this thread....

You say you don’t enjoy new movies, clearly unless it is a Quinten Tarrantino (is that how you spell it?) movie. 

I'm not sure I entirely 'enjoy' Quentin Tarrantino films, Jesse. 

However the one we saw together was certainly 'interesting'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1