Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The topic of pick-ups came up recently......

Obviously, good pick-up is essential for good running. However, by employing dead-frog points/crossings, then good running is compromised. If such non-conductive track configurations are used, then the maximum number of pick-ups is required.

2104150830_pick-ups03.jpg.b938e1adfc3ad45f3f3900e54c38182d.jpg

I built a London Road Models D2 for Mark Allatt for use on Grantham. Since Grantham has several dead frog configurations, to prevent stalling I installed tender pick-ups as well. The non-insulated side had the pick-ups fixed directly to the frames. Shorting out the wheels on that side would also have worked. 

A better solution all round would be to only use live frogs. 

Since all of LB uses live frogs, I have no need of tender pick-ups. I thus configure them in the simplest way. Since I don't use DCC, the majority of my locos are live-to-one-side. 

1330142768_KingV207.jpg.de124ea2cbefdc2f7d7378ebb2bfc079.jpg

Like this - for a Graeme King V2 on top of a Comet chassis. Small-bore PVC tubing (Mercontrol) obviates stray shorts. 

118930889_pick-ups01.jpg.82e394051f1918bc7642a2f6cfa5a059.jpg

And, the same on an A2/2. Note the tapped hole in the front spacer - to take a shouldered screw. 

85226512_pick-ups02.jpg.56f8f2f4917e17c01b440407efbdd828.jpg

The wheelset I had for the DJH 'Semi' (featured in this month's Railway Modeller) was all-insulated, so two sets of wiper pick-ups were required (better for DCC as well). No sleeve-insulation was necessary. 

1394057465_pick-ups04.jpg.df96a7a67395a4c5e26634dd2884d0bd.jpg

Even if a live chassis is employed, sleeve-insulation is not obligatory; as long as there's plenty of clearance. Note the forward extension to give access for a crocodile clip for routine testing. Also note the use of shouldered screws (or one with a collar) to hold the bogie and pony in place. These are easily tightened-up - much better than using a nut. All the bogie/pony/tender wheels are live, meaning return is via ten points of contact.

The pick-up wire is .45mm nickel silver wire. I've had occasion to investigate poor running on locos using phosphor bronze as pick-up material. I just scrap it and replace it with nickel silver. 

I hope some of this is useful.......

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Thunderbirds are GO !!!!

b31cafd5e7d1751822f8d3deb0325931.jpg

Brit 15

I have no wish to be disparaging about more-recent naming policies on our railways, but to have fine locomotives named after PUPPETS seems to me to be scraping the bottom of the barrel! 

I know these are 'rescue' locos, and one can see the connection, but when one thinks of the names these previously-Class 47s used to carry - GREAT WESTERN, SIR DANIEL GOOCH, ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL, etc., then what a comedown. Even some of the later ones - RAF KINLOSS, THE SAPPER, ST. CHRISTOPHER'S RAILWAY HOME, DIAMOND JUBILEE, THE INSTITUTE OF CIVIL ENGINEERS and what have you have a dignity.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I have no wish to be disparaging about more-recent naming policies on our railways, but to have fine locomotives named after PUPPETS seems to me to be scraping the bottom of the barrel! 

I know these are 'rescue' locos, and one can see the connection, but when one thinks of the names these previously-Class 47s used to carry - GREAT WESTERN, SIR DANIEL GOOCH, ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL, etc., then what a comedown. Even some of the later ones - RAF KINLOSS, THE SAPPER, ST. CHRISTOPHER'S RAILWAY HOME, DIAMOND JUBILEE, THE INSTITUTE OF CIVIL ENGINEERS and what have you have a dignity.

Regards,

Tony. 

Goodness me Tony, this was from the 1990s when Virgin was marketing itself to the hilt on the West Coast upgrades.

It was a clever piece of marketing right out of the books of the LNER who were not averse to generating publicity - why else is the Flying Scotsman so famous.

• Agree 6

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

JohnSmith of GBRf has given his locos some interesting names and liveries.  He’s also used them to recognise long serving members of staff and customers.  He, too, is not adverse to some publicity and has built a remarkable business since the late 1990s in the freight sector.

David

• Agree 3

Yes they were primarily rescue locomotives and also used to haul electric trains (Pendolinos) over non electrified lines, Settle & Carlisle, Holyhead etc so in my mind cleverly & aptly named for the period.

The western region Brush 4's indeed had superb names. Here is "George" at Sheffield Midland 3 January 1970. My favourite was Odin, first named Brush 4 I ever saw southbound at Wigan NW late 60's

2013-01-15-14-58-02.jpg.6963629f869f19b8125f60f933617d72.jpg

It's a pity one wasn't named "Hugh Smellie" loco superintendent of the G&SW & Caledonian Railways !!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

I think you underestimate just how loved and revered the work of Gerry Anderson was, Tony.  There are generations of children around the globe who grew up watching those TV episodes on television, and were/are/will always be passionate about them.  To you they may just be puppets, but to many of us (myself included) the work of Gerry Anderson in the 1960's/1970's is iconic.

Yes, it is a shame that the old names were retired as a result, but it's great to see more late 20th Century icons and institutions being chosen to name locomotives (and aircraft of some airlines fleets, for that matter).  And in the case of these in particular, given their roles, a nod to the TV Show Thunderbirds is about as appropriate a set of names as you're ever likely to see.

Regards

Scott

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who offered advice on my A3 pick ups. I have made progress this morning, by shorting out the two bogie wheels. This was much harder than expected as the metal block which holds the bogie wheels was painted in a non conductive paint and the bolts attaching it to the main chassis were also insulated. So I had to ream out the axle holes slightly to remove the paint and then solder a wire between the bogie frame and the main chassis. This was made harder by the issue which Tony raised as the nuts securing the bogie in place had been glued on and I couldn’t free them up so had top work with the bogie in situ.

Anyway, thus improved it works much better. The loco glides over the crossing perfectly, however, the tender still gives a slight twitch (but doesn’t stop) when it crosses with the other side pick ups. I could solve this with a pick up on the insulated side of the loco.

However, I thought four wheels picking up (on the tender) should be enough for anyone. So this led me to investigate the crossing further and I found that there is an almost imperceptible rise over the centre of the diamond crossing. This means that the plastic frog is the highest point and just as one wheel is on the plastic the others have a tendency to lift of the track - hence the stall. This is exacerbated by the plastic frog crossing section being much longer on a diamond crossing than on Peco insulting slips. I don’t understand why this is necessary.

Anyway the solution looks to be to lift the crossing and try to remove the ‘hump’ in the middle. That won’t be easy and will have to wait until I’ve finished running my sequence through on the Gresley Jn thread. 

As I’ve said before, if only Peco did electrofrog diamond crossings in code 100. I know I could switch to code 75, but I’ve too much invested in code 100 for the time being ..... and if I can’t lay level track in code 100 what chance in code 75!

I hope this experience is useful for someone and I haven’t bored the rest of you too much. Thanks again for the help.

Andy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks to all who offered advice on my A3 pick ups. I have made progress this morning, by shorting out the two bogie wheels. This was much harder than expected as the metal block which holds the bogie wheels was painted in a non conductive paint and the bolts attaching it to the main chassis were also insulated. So I had to ream out the axle holes slightly to remove the paint and then solder a wire between the bogie frame and the main chassis. This was made harder by the issue which Tony raised as the nuts securing the bogie in place had been glued on and I couldn’t free them up so had top work with the bogie in situ.

Anyway, thus improved it works much better. The loco glides over the crossing perfectly, however, the tender still gives a slight twitch (but doesn’t stop) when it crosses with the other side pick ups. I could solve this with a pick up on the insulated side of the loco.

However, I thought four wheels picking up (on the tender) should be enough for anyone. So this led me to investigate the crossing further and I found that there is an almost imperceptible rise over the centre of the diamond crossing. This means that the plastic frog is the highest point and just as one wheel is on the plastic the others have a tendency to lift of the track - hence the stall. This is exacerbated by the plastic frog crossing section being much longer on a diamond crossing than on Peco insulting slips. I don’t understand why this is necessary.

Anyway the solution looks to be to lift the crossing and try to remove the ‘hump’ in the middle. That won’t be easy and will have to wait until I’ve finished running my sequence through on the Gresley Jn thread. 

As I’ve said before, if only Peco did electrofrog diamond crossings in code 100. I know I could switch to code 75, but I’ve too much invested in code 100 for the time being ..... and if I can’t lay level track in code 100 what chance in code 75!

I hope this experience is useful for someone and I haven’t bored the rest of you too much. Thanks again for the help.

Andy

I too have double slips with 'dead' frogs, despite having used Code 75 Streamline - at the time I started my layout Peco didn't do live frog ones in Code 75 either, and I don't feel inclined to dig up the ones that are there.  Apart from anything else, the wiring would be more complicated.  I think at least one of mine also has a 'hump' in the middle!  Nevertheless the majority of locos cope fairly well with them.  

However regardless of frogs, I still think the more pick ups on locos the better, for reliability.  I think this is one reason why 'modern' diesel loco models run better than a lot of steam ones - they usually pick up from both bogies.  Note this may not be such a consideration on layouts where locos just circulate at high speed, but mine are required to run slowly whilst arriving / departing and performing shunt moves.  I have been known to add tender pick ups to locos which don't have them and have otherwise been poor performers, the latest being a Bachmann V2 with the most recent kind of mechanism.

Earlier Bachmann models with a sprung axle are a lot more reliable, but unfortunately they seem to have dropped that feature from new models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 31A said:

I too have double slips with 'dead' frogs, despite having used Code 75 Streamline - at the time I started my layout Peco didn't do live frog ones in Code 75 either, and I don't feel inclined to dig up the ones that are there.  Apart from anything else, the wiring would be more complicated.  I think at least one of mine also has a 'hump' in the middle!  Nevertheless the majority of locos cope fairly well with them.  

However regardless of frogs, I still think the more pick ups on locos the better, for reliability.  I think this is one reason why 'modern' diesel loco models run better than a lot of steam ones - they usually pick up from both bogies.  Note this may not be such a consideration on layouts where locos just circulate at high speed, but mine are required to run slowly whilst arriving / departing and performing shunt moves.  I have been known to add tender pick ups to locos which don't have them and have otherwise been poor performers, the latest being a Bachmann V2 with the most recent kind of mechanism.

Earlier Bachmann models with a sprung axle are a lot more reliable, but unfortunately they seem to have dropped that feature from new models.

I agree about Bachmann V2s. They seem particularly poor and I have fitted tender pick ups to mine. 

I have no fear about the wiring of electrfrogs -  with DCC autofrogs it’s dead simple...just bring them on.

• Agree 1

On 20/03/2020 at 15:18, PupCam said:

While in "lockdown" I've done my first etch coach-building and some attempt to improve Kirk kits built many years ago. I was never happy with how I built the latter, and ditched then when the brilliant Hornby Suburbans arrived. Having built a D&S ex-NER coach, and with another in the pipeline, I decided to see what could be done with the Kirk's, rather than have just one more rake of generic RTR.

So here, on test , is an original Dave Alexander J25, built more than 30 years ago, I think, with a standard Hornby Gresley, a Kirk 2nd Class with new roof, bogies and underframe details from MJT, and the D&S Brake 3rd.

IMG_20200322_120916.jpg

IMG_20200322_120945.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Goodness me Tony, this was from the 1990s when Virgin was marketing itself to the hilt on the West Coast upgrades.

It was a clever piece of marketing right out of the books of the LNER who were not averse to generating publicity - why else is the Flying Scotsman so famous.

I'm not against generating publicity; especially naming locos.

Because the 'Sport of Kings' was more-followed in LNER days, the winners of classics were chosen (some delightfully absurd, like PRETTY POLLY), but puppets?

Just think, had that Virgin naming policy been applied by the BR Board to the Brits, we might have had 70002 ANDY PANDY (instead of GEOFFREY CHAUCER), 70009 THE FLOWERPOT MEN (instead of ALFRED THE GREAT) or 70030 MUFFIN THE MULE (instead of WILLIAM WORDSWORTH)! 

Anyway, I've always been a bit puzzled by a business named after something which has never had sex; a brilliant business though it might be. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, jukebox said:

I think you underestimate just how loved and revered the work of Gerry Anderson was, Tony.  There are generations of children around the globe who grew up watching those TV episodes on television, and were/are/will always be passionate about them.  To you they may just be puppets, but to many of us (myself included) the work of Gerry Anderson in the 1960's/1970's is iconic.

Yes, it is a shame that the old names were retired as a result, but it's great to see more late 20th Century icons and institutions being chosen to name locomotives (and aircraft of some airlines fleets, for that matter).  And in the case of these in particular, given their roles, a nod to the TV Show Thunderbirds is about as appropriate a set of names as you're ever likely to see.

Regards

Scott

Thanks Scott,

Please see my post above.

I didn't really watch Thunderbirds (too old), and the puppets I've mentioned above were watched with passion when I were a very wee one. But to name locos after them. No thank you.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, 31A said:

'Note this may not be such a consideration on layouts where locos just circulate at high speed, but mine are required to run slowly whilst arriving / departing and performing shunt moves.'

Thanks Steve.

Despite the majority of trains whirling through Little Bytham at high speed, there are several - both pick-up freights and eight stopping trains in the sequence - which have to stop/start/shunt/etc, and none of the locos on these duties has tender pick-ups (nor needs them), and some are tanks. 

To me, adding extra pick-ups to 'cure' an issue with trackwork laid with dead frog points/crossings is a solution looking for a problem. Granted, if it's already there, I can see the reasons for leaving it as such. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Anyway, I've always been a bit puzzled by a business named after something which has never had sex; a brilliant business though it might be. 

Tony - The name comes from when Branson first started his record shops (with some rather dodgy import practices, he narrowly avoided jail for VAT evasion).  Discussing with his colleagues what they should call themselves, one said that they were all completely inexperienced at running a business, so "Virgin Records" seemed highly appropriate.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, richard i said:

The thread is about modeling, so here is a model. 

6F4FAA80-B684-4D36-A97E-FB897C808EE2.jpeg.2f54bb8b666b24fb8d251ab87016efe4.jpeg

DD951A56-C0F0-4A56-9491-ABF3E366CCAD.jpeg.2f0e39a7210ba390519afe8333e91cf6.jpeg

7A1CE9F3-DA91-4295-8A32-6E5C4706D608.jpeg.7748a081715ec8151c75f4c86aaec1b9.jpeg

It is my model of a GCR 12at. Lner E8.

My model, but not all my modeling. Tony kindly taught me how to scratch build a chassis the old school way, by building this one for me. He then helped find a chimney and dome from his spares box which were a better rendition than my 3d print attempts. He also got the engine to run smoothly, which I had not managed with months of playing around with all the possible variables. 

The rest is mine, either plasticard , whitmetal or brass, all documented on my thread over the couple of years it has taken to get it finished. 

Thank you Tony for all your assistance to allow me to have one of my favorite locos. 

Richard 

That's wonderful Richard, 

As a teacher yourself, you'll understand the sense of achievement when 'pupils' succeed. 

What you've achieved is largely down to you. I can take something so far, but unless the 'pupil' (you're definitely not a 'student'!) finishes the work off, as you have done, then my input would have been of little value.

I congratulate you. You've made an 'old man' (in the 'at risk' group due to age) very happy, having made my day!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DSCF0273.JPG.ae3d91709a007548e04447027f2cb17c.JPG

High level goods line, Holmfield Junction.

The Peco Code 100 crossing (behind the signal box) gave problems here somewhat as described earlier. Certain locos passing the Trix illuminated signal on the main (straight) line caused sparking at the frog, occasional stalls / short circuits. My answer was to wire in a double pole slide switch (shown in the foreground undergrowth) which electrically isolates the crossover road (the line with the 9F  just in view). This eliminated the problem - Funnily when this line is used there is no problem with the main line !!!!!.

Not ideal - a quick fix that has become permanent !!

Brit15

• Like 1

Re: Muffin the Mule.

Please don't be rude about this animal.

I had a 'walk-along' toy of him which was a great comfort when I had to go into hospital at the age of four to have my tonsils out.

Re: LNER Engineer's Blue

A short time ago (and now a long way 'up-thread') Tony mentioned that he had a picture from the early 1970s of a coach still displaying this livery, although much faded.

I suppose we could always wait for this to fade, but being modern paint it might take a while.

(Many thanks to the clever and hardworking people of the LNERCA at Pickering.)

I forgot I had this picture on my 'phone from my last visit!

20191230_133903.jpg.33062039b37b7bf8166a8b3c454dcd90.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

My photographic equipment comes from the other end of the price range. 

B426071D-AC4B-4146-A3CF-57DD33F2A6FC.jpeg.60aa9e3ac874e0867f589c7c35cc3e72.jpeg

A camera which came free with the iPhone and a mini tripod, iPhone holder and LED floodlight costing under £30 in total. The big tripod comes from over 40 years ago when I had a more serious camera.

Obviously it doesn’t take pictures anywhere near your standard, but I wouldn’t have the patience for all that ‘processing’ anyway. I feel it takes amazing good record photos and videos for the price point. It’s what I use for all my Gresley Jn photos.

Andy

• Like 10

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

My photographic equipment comes from the other end of the price range. 

B426071D-AC4B-4146-A3CF-57DD33F2A6FC.jpeg.60aa9e3ac874e0867f589c7c35cc3e72.jpeg

A camera which came free with the iPhone and a mini tripod, iPhone holder and LED floodlight costing under £30 in total. The big tripod comes from over 40 years ago when I had a more serious camera.

Obviously it doesn’t take pictures anywhere near your standard, but I wouldn’t have the patience for all that ‘processing’ anyway. I feel it takes amazing good record photos and videos for the price point. It’s what I use for all my Gresley Jn photos.

Andy

'It’s what I use for all my Gresley Jn photos.'

And very good they are, too, Andy,

It's not just the equipment which makes a good photo - the camera operator is important as well. 

Because much of my stuff is published, it's important that I get the highest quality I can achieve. 

Regards,

Tony. 

45 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Good Evening Tony

I do really enjoy the photography side of railway modelling.

I have used various cameras from a Canon 5D MK 11 SLR which I have now sold on down to my present camera the Canon G12 which can focus down to about 2 inches from the subject

I use the same principles which I must add I learnt from you on the occasion of my visit to see your Little Bytham layout.

I always have the camera mounted on a tripod set to self timer and manual focusing, I also carry out my own version of photo stacking to get maximum focus as the G12 only goes down to F8.

I take a series of about 8 to 10 individual frames on the same setting without moving the camera, as I press the shutter button the camera automatically changes the focusing distance but I can do this very carefully by hand if needed.

I then overlay each photo one at a time by copying and pasting then brushing in the various areas of the photo using layers in Photoshop Elements 12, its quite a laborious process but I do get a fairly sharp image from foreground through to the background.

I have also had 6 LED cool white spotlights fitted to the ceiling over my layout three either side on a sliding rail so I can move and angle the lights to suit my needs

I enclose a couple of my results, I have also just ordered a shutter release cable which I hope will allow me to position the camera on the layout itself to get those low level images.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_0192B.jpg

65311_IMG_0025BB.jpg

They're lovely photographs, David,

Thanks for showing us. 

However (there's always an 'however'!), the clarity of the images has revealed something which I keep going on about, especially in the top image.

Those bogie wheels on the A2/3 (Bachmann?) would appear to let it down (have you changed those on the A4?). And, it really is worth adding the wiggly pipes on the sides of the smokebox. 

I assume the A2/3 is a Bachmann A2/Graeme King conversion?

Graeme did the one I have........

594218575_6051502.jpg.9f461f5c6d7151bb82ce9f8dcfe77855.jpg

The Bachmann A2 bogie wheels have no shape to the spokes (well, not the right shape, anyway). These are Markits.

1746169115_A236051501.jpg.600355f9fb5326bdbf48f37304ea5d52.jpg

I finished off Graeme's work by detailing the loco (including the wiggly pipes), patch-repainting, lining/numbering/lettering/naming and weathering it.

The 'proper' bogie wheels really do make a difference in my view.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

They're lovely photographs, David,

Thanks for showing us. 

However (there's always an 'however'!), the clarity of the images has revealed something which I keep going on about, especially in the top image.

Those bogie wheels on the A2/3 (Bachmann?) would appear to let it down (have you changed those on the A4?). And, it really is worth adding the wiggly pipes on the sides of the smokebox. 

I assume the A2/3 is a Bachmann A2/Graeme King conversion?

Graeme did the one I have........

594218575_6051502.jpg.9f461f5c6d7151bb82ce9f8dcfe77855.jpg

The Bachmann A2 bogie wheels have no shape to the spokes (well, not the right shape, anyway). These are Markits.

1746169115_A236051501.jpg.600355f9fb5326bdbf48f37304ea5d52.jpg

I finished off Graeme's work by detailing the loco (including the wiggly pipes), patch-repainting, lining/numbering/lettering/naming and weathering it.

The 'proper' bogie wheels really do make a difference in my view.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Thank you for your kind comments the front bogie wheels and pipe work is an issue you have mentioned to me before.

it is something I will hopefully get around to doing, I just need to look more closely to the detailing of the pipework and work out exactly what materials I need to use and as I now have plenty of time on my hands I may start to make some progress.

I have only just got around to replacing the flangeless pony track wheels to my Hornby RTR A3’s and A4’s.

I do believe the front bogie wheels you use are Markits but do you know if they are larger or smaller in diameter than the standard ones that come on the Hornby RTR models?

The A2/3 is indeed a Bachmann/ Graeme King conversion, one of two Gareth of Replica Railways converted  for me.

I really do enjoy reading all the different variety of content and railway modelling subjects on your thread, many thanks for all the interesting contributions from yourself and other members as well.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1