Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I have to agree, post what you do. As so many have said they are your models and you are the one that needs to be happy with what you do. I keep challenging myself to do better and I would suggest that any one who doesn't challange themselves isn't living! I am always interested to see what people have built. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Tony,

That photograph is almost certainly the 3.50pm Manchester Marylebone express, a train that I have modelled. The Friday and Saturdays only TK, In this case a CK, one with individual step boards to the corridor side doors, is behind the tender. The loco is Leicester sheds BR blue A3 60103 Flying Scotsman.

I think this photo could be as late as 1953. Certainly there is a 28 February 1953 Brian Green photo of 60103 in Foxline' s Scenes from the Past 8 with 60103 in the same condition and what looks like the same Gresley coach taken prior to departure.

Edit: The caption suggests the 2.10 to Marylebone

Simon

Edited by 65179

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!'

Good morning Tony,

I think the best way of answering 'critics' is two-fold. One, show us what you're doing, anyway. And, two, ask the critics to show us what they're doing. What's sauce for the goose and so on........

And, since when did anyone (even the greatest modellers) ever achieve 'perfection'? (Though I accept the tongue-in-cheek status of your statement, even the irony). 

What I've found with this thread is an abundance of wonderful modelling (I'm abstracting myself from that observation), in all scales and gauges. I've learnt an enormous amount from it and (I'm definitely saying it's not 'mine' here), I think it's been inspirational - because of what folk have shown us; what they're actually making.

I think looking at what others have made and showing what we've made is very important right now, even if it receives 'criticism'. 

You have a lot to offer, I assure you.

Regards,

Tony.  

I have a number of good people that I see regularly (not at the present time though!) and we do "show and tell" what we are up to and if somebody has dropped a clanger, it will be pointed out gently, out of the public gaze. So I have all the criticism and comment that I need. We encourage each other as well as wind each other up.

So we are doing exactly what you say is important, just in a non public way, amongst a group of skilled and accomplished modellers, who's views and experience I respect and value greatly.

After the visit to Missenden, when we had three "Valours" photographed together in 2, 4 and 7mm scales, the only comment I recall after Tim Watson posted a photo on his thread was that the dome on my 4mm version was wrong! The dome was loose and had just been plonked on for the photo and was never intended to be the finished article.

So I ended up having to defend plonking a wrong dome on for a photo. I won't be doing that again! So any "work in progress" will stay under wraps until it is finished and I am happy with it.

• Friendly/supportive 3

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think the best way of answering 'critics' is two-fold. One, show us what you're doing, anyway. And, two, ask the critics to show us what they're doing. What's sauce for the goose and so on........

And, since when did anyone (even the greatest modellers) ever achieve 'perfection'? (Though I accept the tongue-in-cheek status of your statement, even the irony). 

What I've found with this thread is an abundance of wonderful modelling (I'm abstracting myself from that observation), in all scales and gauges. I've learnt an enormous amount from it and (I'm definitely saying it's not 'mine' here), I think it's been inspirational - because of what folk have shown us; what they're actually making.

I think looking at what others have made and showing what we've made is very important right now, even if it receives 'criticism'. 

Yes, and I've not noticed any unpleasant criticism (especially on this thread). Any feedback can help improve the model and get it closer to perfection. And the quick feedback buttons are all positive; 'like', 'craftmanship/clever', 'agree' and 'informative', etc..

I find that I post pics of my modelling which is often incomplete and knowing that it is flawed in some way (as well as compressed, simplified and compromised). Consequently nothing is perfect or even finalised with plenty of detail to add and work to undertake. I'm not disheartened by constructive criticism and welcome feedback and it can help improve my modelling. In fact I'm surprised at the number of 'likes' the pics and projects seem to get. 

If anyone has enjoyed viewing posted photos of other's modelling efforts then it's probably only fair that, if they have made anything, they reciprocate and show what they've been making too. Plus, of course, at this time it is important that we all pull together as a supportive on-line (so appropriately socially distanced) group.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks Stephen,

That way you can't see it's 'narrow gauge'.

Regards,

Tony. 

You said it, not me! I think I've made it clear before that much as I admire the looks of EM and P4, I model in 00 myself. But one always wants to be seen from one's best angle, surely?

As to exposing one's work to the critics, I have generally found comments on my efforts to be positive; criticisms made hopefully lead to improvement; I've learnt a great deal that way.

Edited by Compound2632

4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

So I ended up having to defend plonking a wrong dome on for a photo. I won't be doing that again! So any "work in progress" will stay under wraps until it is finished and I am happy with it.

You don't need to 'defend' things, especially if you know about the issue. It's just a matter of explaining that the model is incomplete and will be corrected when more work on it is undertaken. With no paint on it it's quite obvious that it is unfinished. 

However, seeing incomplete models can be helpful to many as it shows construction techniques and often makes obvious how it was put together.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, davefrk said:

Tony G. You are too modest, post your pictures and be damned. Some of the detractors on here have never picked up a scalpel.

All the best,

Dave Franks

See you sometime next year....

Cheers Dave. Hopefully we will get together before too long. I was hoping to see you at Scalefour North. I was actually going to buy something!

I will place an order via the web.

Keep safe.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

You are quite right Tony. Our hobby often requires a degree of concentration that can cause all the troubles of the world to be forgotten for a while. All that matters is getting something soldered on well and in the right place!

My little shed is a real place of sanctuary not just from day to day local matters but from the rest of the world.

I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!

In the last week I have finished the track for the station throat for a new small layout, done a lot of work on two Midland Railway Signal boxes, made some good progress with a 4mm model of "Valour" and built most of a District Railway 4 wheeled carriage, so I have been quite active.

This "Not going out" does have some benefits.

Tony,

Given what I’ve seen of your modelling is to a very high standard, it’s a sad inditement of some people of RMWeb that you feel like that. I never achieve perfection but I post all sorts of stuff of different standards and, as long as I write about them with humility, I have found the support both encouraging and often very useful for improving things. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2020 at 10:33, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

They're Romford brass crankpin spacing washers (not the retaining ones). I tin them (which fills the hole), then solder them to the keeps. 

Is there a problem? Yes, along with the fibre equivalents, they seem to be no longer available. 

Regards,

Tony. 

`Tony,

Going back almost a month and 37 pages, I have tracked down some Romford crankpin washers. Here they are in position on one side of 60154, Bon Accord’s tender. She will be my engine for the ‘Night Scotsman’ as one of the two Gateshead roller bearing examples seemed to be ever present on that train during the 1950’s.

686A061F-6C3B-435F-B6AA-47D192369D4C.jpeg.92fe653c175249ee3b9743ebe2f68721.jpeg

I suspect having re-read your post that these are the retaining ones rather than the spacing ones. They are slightly smaller in diameter and thicker in depth than the last ones I used. The depth seems fine, but the diameter is a little small compared with prototype pictures, but I think they’re probably the best I can do in the absence of any other source - do you have any comments?

Should anyone want some they come in packs of 10 (just right for converting a roller bearing A1) for £1.50 from 247 developments.

Andy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

I think this photo could be as late as 1953. Certainly there is a 28 February 1953 Brian Green photo of 60103 in Foxline' s Scenes from the Past 8 with 60103 in the same condition and what looks like the same Gresley coach taken prior to departure.

Edit: The caption suggests the 2.10 to Marylebone

Simon

Good morning Simon,

the 2.10 pm and the 3.50 pm are actually the same working, just retimed.

Edited by Headstock
correction from train to working.
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to post my efforts, such as they are. By doing so, I've been given some really helpful tips from better and more experienced modellers, and the occasional "trollish" comment I take with a pinch of salt. I think it's important that those of more limited ability are encouraged to have a go, rather than being put off in trying to reach the standards of excellence of the most proficient.,, while at the same time, looking to improve their own work.

So here is where I am up to with a D&S ex-NER Composite. It has all the basic components in place, but everything..   is just perched for the sake of the photo.

Incidentally, I contacted Worsley Works yesterday to try to get their parts for an ex-NER all 3rd Clerestory. This wasn't in stock, though I did get a Brake 3rd. I mention this because Allen said that his etchers were closing down and any kits not in stock would be subject to an indefinite delay during the current crisis. So even mail order for parts is likely to be a problem,

Finally, does anyone know of a source for ex-NER coach bogies to go under the Worsley coach?

All the best to everyone during all this,,,

IMG_20200325_113141.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks Stephen,

That way you can't see it's 'narrow gauge'.

Tony,

As I said to you when I had the pleasure of visiting Little Bytham, the overall scene, the consistent and extremely high standard of modelling throughout and the (almost) faultless operation mean that the fact it is 'narrow gauge' matters not one jot. The fine standard of the trackwork with its scale depth rail and fine flangeways means that the narrowness of the gauge is not noticeable. The only indication that it is an 00 layout is when you look closely at the wheel flanges and tyre width and that is not something that it really makes sense to do when viewing something as almost mesmerising as is LB. And that from a committed (as some people readily believe I should be!) S7 modeller. If I thought that I could ever achieve something nearly as good as LB I would be very happy.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rowanj said:

I'm happy to post my efforts, such as they are. By doing so, I've been given some really helpful tips from better and more experienced modellers, and the occasional "trollish" comment I take with a pinch of salt. I think it's important that those of more limited ability are encouraged to have a go, rather than being put off in trying to reach the standards of excellence of the most proficient.,, while at the same time, looking to improve their own work.

So here is where I am up to with a D&S ex-NER Composite. It has all the basic components in place, but everything..   is just perched for the sake of the photo.

Incidentally, I contacted Worsley Works yesterday to try to get their parts for an ex-NER all 3rd Clerestory. This wasn't in stock, though I did get a Brake 3rd. I mention this because Allen said that his etchers were closing down and any kits not in stock would be subject to an indefinite delay during the current crisis. So even mail order for parts is likely to be a problem,

Finally, does anyone know of a source for ex-NER coach bogies to go under the Worsley coach?

IMG_20200325_113141.jpg

Morning John,

MJT produce a suitable fold up brass bogie and also a set of white metal 8' Fox bogie cosmetic side frames. This carriage malarkey seems to have opened up a whole range of new possibilities for you.

Edited by Headstock
add coment.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!'

Good morning Tony,

And then, when the critic does front-up "his" latest creation (or indeed hers, just to be fair and p.c.),  post a link to the very same model purchased from Ebay just a few weeks earlier....

• Funny 6

7 hours ago, rowanj said:

IMG_20200325_113141.jpg

I am using Isinglass Models 3d printed  Fox Bogies , a very good price and all good so far. Clean them up with washing up liquid and a very easy build, you even get NEM pockets included.

The three secondhand D&S NER Clerestories I am rebuilding (they were that bad on recieving), were all missing the Clerestory Roofs , I was also waiting for Worsley Works replacement etches , I dont think they will be finished for a while yet !!.

For anyones info, In January I sent a s.a.e to Dan Pinnock of D&S re the Roof problem to try and buy the missing etches, I still have had no reply . I am aware of his family problems , its a shame his range appears to be no longer available.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2020 at 21:23, Tony Wright said:

I saw the two in the same week, but not together, in 1960.

QUICKSILVER at Retford and MERCURY at Chester. 

Both cops at the time!

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon All

Blink and you miss three or four pages , didn’t Doncaster works overhaul the western Britannia’s in the early sixties?

Dennis 

• RMweb Gold

I am not a good modeller, and have probably never achieved perfection and no doubt never will, but I have done some things I'm delighted with, some I am content with, and some I live with; my abject failures are in landfill.  I am happy to accept constructive criticism on this site, and less happy to accept comment about operating practices (I worked as a freight guard at Canton in the 70s) unless it is from the likes of Stationmaster and others who I know know what they are talking about, especially of the rather passive-aggressive 'where do you get that information from/show some evidence' sort.

That apart, my experience of the site has been very positive.  The trolls come to the surface quickly and Andy deals with them, and comment on my modelling has been universally positive and supportive, and sometimes I think undeservedly so, or that people are being polite.  I am very sorry to hear that not all your experiences have been the same, Tony.  Personally, I regard your modelling as inspirational and aspirational; you would be my 'go to' for loco building problems (which I largely avoid by buying RTR, but will have to take on with my proposed SE 1854 chassis kit build).  I have, though it is long ago now, successfully put together whitemetal kits from K's, Westward, and NuCast, so think I can probably still manage to cobble up a SE inside cylinder 0-6-0.

7 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

Afternoon All

Blink and you miss three or four pages , didn’t Doncaster works overhaul the western Britannia’s in the early sixties?

Dennis 

Very possibly, Dennis, but they were all transferred from Canton in '61, so I suspect this would have been at the time of their xfer to the LMR.  Canton got the Kings it had been asking for 30 years to replace them.  It would certainly have provided a very good chance of Quicksilver and Mercury being in view at the same time, though!

The Kings lasted until early '63 at Canton, by which time they were dropping like flies with broken frames from overwork on the South Wales route and the Birmingham 2 hour expresses.  They were replaced by new Hymeks, which were thrashed to death to keep time even on the generous South Wales timings; South Wales trains could load up to 14 bogies without assistance between Severn Tunnel bottom and Badminton on the up, a slog that prevented much in the way of speed even with 8P steam power!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Please keep on showing us what you're up to modelling-wise during this time of crisis. In a small way, speaking personally, it adds a touch of 'normality'. I get engrossed in what I'm doing, enabling me to take my mind off things, at least for a time. 

Hello Tony,

I have found that reading the posts on RMWEb has really helped to divert me (at least for an hour or so) from all the events going on around us. So, rather than dwell on those events, here are some photos of my current modelling project.

I built this tank wagon earlier this year. 

7AB1E6BC-67EF-4E74-9E30-BF36C666F33F.jpeg.611115feb6da519f419a463a36652f94.jpeg

There were were two of these on the Harrogate Gas Works railway. So last night I started on the second one:

8F5521A6-1CB2-4911-AB0A-75375B14CDCD.jpeg.8002c65bf62a881f79c6f009100ab2e3.jpeg

CD2C2D62-566C-4104-A8E8-4A802E99563F.jpeg.dda33ebdfe612d1d70fba0e3bff06f33.jpeg

That was a good hour or so of concentration - very good for clearing my head.

My plan is to get these two finished, build a loco to haul them and lay some track to run them.

Regards

Jon

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

To be honest Tony, I've always delighted in seeing what your working on. And still view the activity media DVD's from time to time. So please do keep showing your work.

in my new profession COVID-19 means I'm busier than ever. Checking up on those not on line and uploading resources for others. Meaning personally I've not had much time to model.

However, I've been putting several of the latest Bachmann Thompsons "through the shops" and altering the crimson cream stock into maroon (why are Bachmann are so slow to offer them in this livery).  Four of mine now have etched sides, creating a rake of two SK's, a pantry 3rd and an RF. I've two BCK's and an FK in the to do pile. Not sure what they'll become - though one BCK  will probably be an SK  with ladies retiring for the post '59 Heart of Midlothian.  Do you or anyone else know if Southern Pride still trading to obtain the SK with ladies retiring sides?

I'll try to get pictures up later.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy this thread for the inspiration although time and (more problematic) space keeps me from doing much. The spirit of this thread can apply to other things; I was reading in a motorcycle mag today about a father and son who built their own racing Ducati.  The following paragraph jumped out at me, you could have written it yourself, Mr W:

"It's much more fun going quicker on something you're designed and built yourself than it ever is buying things.  If you've got a little bit of patience you can do almost anything".

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My advice is just practice.

I learnt on Airfix kits.

I can now manage a reasonable paint job which was my weak spot.

As to separating colours, Tamaya tape

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

I am using Isinglass Models 3d printed  Fox Bogies , a very good price and all good so far. Clean them up with washing up liquid and a very easy build, you even get NEM pockets included.

Hi Mick

I mentioned the Isinglass bogies as a source in a reply to John on his other thread. I'm delighted to hear your feedback on them - as I said on t'other thread, I ordered some, and they were sent home, but I'm still on my ship at present, so haven't seen them yet.

Mark

• Like 1

As I've been out of it for the last 14 days, I haven't really felt like doing any modelling, I don't know if it was C19, the timings and some symptoms seem right, though it was relatively mild. Now I'm back in action, the whole world has changed and I'm playing catch up.

Now I'm too busy to do any modelling. First time out shopping in over two weeks, this has turned into a crazy Mad Max like adventure, however, despite the best intentions of the panic mob, there is food out there, no need to start poaching yet. This afternoon I dug out the old fire pit, as garden waist collection has been suspended across the city. I hope 'Greta' doesn't find out about the multiple plumes of smoke emanating from our streets gardens over the coming weeks, it is certain to be visible on Satellite photographs. Now that I feel much better and that I've done something positive in the current circumstances, a bit of modelling may be on the cards this evening.

On the subject of criticism, I do hope that Tony and Tony will continue with their amusing repartee in that regard.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16