Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

As for these people being the "D stream", never underestimate the ability of groups of intelligent people to behave with real stupidity.

Still trying to catch up with this thread after three days not looking! I fully agree with this comment. I used to think that everyone was reasonably intelligent until i went to uni in the late 60's. That was a time when it was about 10% that went to uni and studied real subjects, not like the 50% today, some studying 'media studies' or 'child care', or even 'ballet dancing', and 'equine studies'. I was not a happy bunny when engineering had to be cut to allow the latter two to go ahead.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

As for these people being the "D stream", never underestimate the ability of groups of intelligent people to behave with real stupidity.

Still trying to catch up with this thread after three days not looking! I fully agree with this comment. I used to think that everyone was reasonably intelligent until i went to uni in the late 60's. That was a time when it was about 10% that went to uni and studied real subjects, not like the 50% today, some studying 'media studies' or 'child care', or even 'ballet dancing', and 'equine studies'. I was not a happy bunny when engineering had to be cut to allow the latter two to go ahead.

Lloyd

Or 'ethnic dancing'?

One mate, a carpentry lecturer (he who built LB's baseboards) couldn't wait to retire after his department was closed, in favour of more 'diverse' subjects.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Headstock said:

RonnieG_Slides_Colour_0047.jpg

That's an interesting photo, Andrew, I assume it's an SO transferred to the Midland Region, and has maroon ends and electrification flashes. The M must be a waterslide transfer, as I am sure I can see carrier film - Modelmaster?

Edited by rowanj
grammer- must do better.
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Lee,

Firstly, thanks for dropping the info' through the door......

Headboard positions? I think it was dependent on the athleticism of the fireman, particular with regard to the A4s. Most just opted for putting the board on the middle, lower bracket.

Background colours? As far as I know, there were three in BR days on the ECML; light blue (Scottish Region), dark blue (Eastern Region) and black. They seem to be used indiscriminately. 

The MK.1 Pullman cars carried no boards. The train's name was carried on two small boards, one each side, over the guard's door on the brakes (which were the originals, no Mk.1 Pullman brakes ever being built. The background to these boards, and the roof-mounted boards on the 'K' cars was umber, and the lettering cream. Ian Wilson does a full range. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony (also Headstock & David).

That's most helpful, I would have been fairly annoyed, if I had stuck roof boards on a load of Bachmann MK1's!

Best Regards,

Lee

2 minutes ago, rowanj said:

That's an interesting photo, Andrew, I assume it's an SO transferred to the Midland Region, and has maroon ends and electrification flashes. The M must be a waterslide transfer, as I am sure I can see carrier film - Modelmaster?

It's an SK, John,

The Thompson SOs had end doors. 

Judging by the rounded window corners, it's probably a BR-built example. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Those full rakes of BR maroon coaches behind A4s look fabulous. I have a very vivid memory of the first time I saw such a train: not in real life, but on the telly, in the 1959  Kenneth Moore version of "The Thirty-Nine Steps". I don't think it's considered the best adaptation, but I like it for the railway scenes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, grahame said:

A little bit of modelling undertaken this morning in making these footbridge stairways from plasticard and styrene strip (although they're not finished). I had made several for the through lines but had forgotten this set for the lower 'dock' platform between the trainshed wall and higher level through lines. 

DSC_9303.JPG.55dbcf42aff40e92c867526a295b54cc.JPG

Impressively neat construction, there. I'd be well pleased if I got close to that in 4mm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Those full rakes of BR maroon coaches behind A4s look fabulous. I have a very vivid memory of the first time I saw such a train: not in real life, but on the telly, in the 1959  Kenneth Moore version of "The Thirty-Nine Steps". I don't think it's considered the best adaptation, but I like it for the railway scenes.

Thanks Al,

You're right; it's not the best adaptation of the wonderful Buchan novel, but it has the most accurate railway shots (up to a point).

The Robert Donat version has stock railway images from the '30s (anything) and the Robert Powell version has Hannay jumping off the train at the Victoria Bridge on the SVR. A train hauled by an Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT in Midland Railway colours! 

Where the Kenneth More version goes awry is on leaving Edinburgh for further north. The train departs from Waverley behind MERLIN, More jumps out of a compartment door (in a gangwayed BR Mk.1?) to leave the train, now hauled by COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA, on the Forth Bridge. 

Not only that, the villains' car changes from a Ford Consul to a Ford Zephyr during the pursuit.

Regards, 

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, micklner said:

Couple of mine .

Thompson's using  Southern Pride and Comet sides on a re worked Bachmann bases.

Gresley MJT sides on a current Hornby base. The Hornby's was far more fiddly due to narrowing the Chassis.

post-7186-0-45343200-1300554133_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-37209700-1303149819_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-45071800-1484092791_thumb.jpgfullsizeoutput_2c02.jpeg.fe628b79537c16132cedb3a249e6a859.jpeg

Re Opaque windows on mine above the Restaurant Car in the first photo above were "Frosted" or similar , there is a photo I think from the Harris book where you can clearly see the Corridor Handrails behind the glass as per my model, this was done by sprying Matt Varnish on the "inside" of the glazing.

Edited by micklner

Isn't continuity brilliant?  I was watching Mission Impossible 2 last night and during the motorbike chase, the bike's tyres changed from slicks to knobblies several times in the same scene depending on the surface.  If only they could make those for real. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There was an early batch of Thompson carriages with a translucent 'teak' treated effect to the oval windows, this was discontinued because the effect looked more like nicotine staining. It was also not uncommon for the oval window on the corridor side to be clear on some carriages.

• Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, rowanj said:

The MR became quite keen on carriages with Pullman gangways and buckeye couplings after Harrow and Wealdstone.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Tony

Thanks for the photos of your fiddle yard , somewhere here you have probably mentioned it but how do you keep all your track work clean ?

Like a lot of people on here I’ve kept busy with modelling and sorting out food supplies as we self isolate, I’ve even managed to go back to milk being delivered in bottles !!

I finally finished a batch of ten Cambrian Catfish and Dogfish wagons that I have had for thirty odd years not the easiest to put together

I’m restarting a Anchoridge K3/2 which for a long forgotten reason I stopped working on ,I started it in April 1997 the first thing I will have to do is de-solder the cab as the spectacle plate is to high, have you built theses kits before? I’m sure you will have I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

To everyone look after yourselves  

Dennis

497FEA11-9181-4E6A-B1CF-5FEB9FD732AA.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Regarding ‘confined to barracks’ projects, today’s job was to turn a rats nest of wires into a control panel. Apart from an LED slightly out of line I’m pleased with the result. It will make work in the fiddle yard much easier!

36E662B5-695C-4975-8D92-7342D963F858.jpeg.2ac52bc219d771637ef1e83136ba494c.jpeg

6D2CB9A4-3410-4F93-99ED-EA6132C0C216.jpeg.f4112209fe584b26018e830d59d2a980.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Impressively neat construction, there. I'd be well pleased if I got close to that in 4mm.

Thanks, although it's probably rather more fanciful and rough than accurate and neat.

As part of the compression/compromise I decided on having two through island platforms (instead of three) that, with the outside passing loop, would still mean five tracks, and with no end of terminating lines under the train shed roof. Without the reduction I'd probably not be able to reach across the width of the layout.

I promptly built the necessary stairs for the through platforms (as well as the interconnecting footbridge) but in my haste I forgot about the lower level 'dock' platform that is sandwiched between the trainshed wall and the higher level through lines. Therefore, I needed another set of stairs for that, which is what I've made today.

Below is how my version of the infamous 1970s claustrophobic and boxy footbridge looks (so far) with the various bits roughly put together. The brown panel (GRP?) cladding were cast in resin from a small master section I made. The narrower walkway section will change from sloping to being horizontal at the 'dock' stairway and then go through the trainshed wall. There is still much to do just on this structure:

DSC_9305.JPG.63c792b702cce6343b4b379c159c6ecf.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Talking of The Elizabethan, here is the real thing passing Little Benton South cabin, on which my layout is based. There was no date or other information on the web source where I found the photo, but I think the loco is 60033 Seagull, from what I can see from the blurred smokebox number plate, the short nameplate and what looks like the cut-down rear to the tender. Most o the stock still seem to be Thompson PV's.

Little Benton South cabin 3.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grahame said:

Nice to see what appears to be third rail/conductor rail. Any pics of the electrics that would have used it?

Hi Grahame. It was electrified as part of the North Tyneside loop, and used mainly to get stock to and from South Gosforth Sheds. I believe there were occasional rush-hour expresses to get businessmen to and from the Coast stations into Newcastle a little quicker. Dave Alexander had a North Tyneside Artic set on his "to-do" list before he retired, and did produce a parcels van . I have that kit and it trundles up and down from time to time. In all my years of spotting at Little Benton, I never saw it used by an electric train. the electrified portion of the ECML ran from Heaton Junction to Benton Quarry Junction -about 5 miles,

Edited by rowanj
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The K3 looks good Dennis,

Thanks for showing us.

Track cleaning? I find regular running keeps LB's trackwork clean. That said, occasional cleaning is necessary.

About once every six weeks, I run this track cleaning wagon round, particularly through the hidden sections. 

315970425_trackcleaningwagon01.jpg.c6747c90aa79e42aa9139c749c031e0e.jpg

879826721_trackcleaningwagon02.jpg.db31dc2f4c9b68c308258822a1ae3c98.jpg

369441464_trackcleaningwagon03.jpg.ec2c31e80a20477ef2711f58bb776743.jpg

It was made from (I think) and old Lima wagon by my friend Ray Chessum. It's just weighted with lead, with a rough-side-down piece of hardboard running along the rails. It's just towed round by a loco. No cleaning fluid is put on the hardboard, but it needs the muck rubbing off from time to time. Local cleaning is carried out with a track rubber when and where necessary. 

A couple of further views of the main line fiddle, seen from the position of the fiddle yard operator. 

1942419183_southendfiddleyard.jpg.3771a5f29935f024c7734802c2a404c5.jpg

1647419277_southendfiddleyardclose-up.jpg.be09b445adac59f02933da6cf12cad1b.jpg

The two free roads are 1 (for Up trains to/from the kick-back sidings) and 19 (for Down trains to/from the kick-back sidings). The V2 in the left foreground is reversing its train back into its siding. 

Regarding the Anchorage K3......

1214058349_AnchorageK361823.jpg.499ed01600f4a9280bbb276ca7efa2c7.jpg

This is all Tony Geary's work, which I acquired after he'd changed to O Gauge. He's one of the finest current modellers, and the opportunity to buy this was too good to miss (even though I've built several K3s myself). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tut tut, no tail lamp on that track cleaner.....

Stewart

• Funny 15

26 minutes ago, rowanj said:

Talking of The Elizabethan, here is the real thing passing Little Benton South cabin, on which my layout is based. There was no date or other information on the web source where I found the photo, but I think the loco is 60033 Seagull, from what I can see from the blurred smokebox number plate, the short nameplate and what looks like the cut-down rear to the tender. Most o the stock still seem to be Thompson PV's.

Little Benton South cabin 3.jpg

What a cracking shot, John,

Thanks for posting.

If it is SEAGULL (which I think it is) the year is either 1958 or 1959. She worked it eight times in 1958 and ten times in 1959. She also worked the non-stop twice in 1961, but by then electric warning flashes would have been present. 

The ladies' room is at the north end of the FK, and I think the RF might be a Gresley; an example was in one of the sets later on after damage to the usual Thompson one. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1