Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Syd

Found the thread and the earlier one thanks. Seems as though your thread was more about derailments rather than loco slip.  I reckon that the GAM plain bearings and the bogie pivot arrangement are contributors to the high drag (causing slip).

I want to run them (not display them), and so will pursue this until they run well. So far the pin point bearing conversion has moved the operation well in the right direction.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Sorry Dave, I only have experience with the coaches which I'm currently hauling with a modified RTR Deltic. It has no problem but I understand 'diesel' models normally outperform RTR steam outline. My problem is my crimson and cream coaches are too early for the Deltic, I think.

I added a lot of weight to a RTR Bachmann but it just sits and spins the wheels.

Maybe I should try the bearing mods next!

Syd

1 hour ago, juke said:

Sorry Dave, I only have experience with the coaches which I'm currently hauling with a modified RTR Deltic. It has no problem but I understand 'diesel' models normally outperform RTR steam outline. My problem is my crimson and cream coaches are too early for the Deltic, I think.

I added a lot of weight to a RTR Bachmann but it just sits and spins the wheels.

Maybe I should try the bearing mods next!

Syd

Good afternoon Syd,

I find it interesting (if rather depressing) that you and Dave Wager have experienced running problems with high-priced RTR carriages; derailments (which I encountered), then rakes too 'stiff' to be hauled successfully.

I wonder, was the target market the display case? That said, surely such high-value items should not need modifications to get them to run well. I know things like Bachmann A1s are quite light-footed, but they were never designed to haul such heavy stock. 

You mention 'the' Deltic. Do you mean the prototype or the production ones? If it's the former, there are several shots showing it hauling carmine/cream stock (if not complete rakes). There are also shots of production Deltics with the odd CC car in a formation, but only early in their lives.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I built one form the D&S kit - I think this was the last coach building job I did.

1714949479_04-19NERdynamometercar.jpg.e8b7fa0979590783c7b62fa692de5469.jpg

234768453_04-19sideclose2.jpg.f8a09f2eed8b011377989b376c64d8c4.jpg

683707691_04-19b.JPG.b50a56ccfd80c06bccb4d154cd87eb38.JPG

It was a fairly complicated job but at least I could easily go along to York to have a close look at it. The kit went together well as usual but I did have to add quite a bit of interior detail. I can't remember now who painted it - I think either Ian Rathbone or Dave Studley.

One I built on commision a while ago. Worse D&S kit I have made so far. I had one of my own to make, that was sold and I bought the Rail version much better and far better. Never did find out a Roof Colour for it , thsi colour was the owners choice at the time.

post-7186-0-87640600-1492356177_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-16551100-1492358507_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, juke said:

Quite a while back he wrote a lengthy document alleging that his bankers had failed him in some way, over export credits if I remember correctly. His web site is still up but no stock available and the updates column is empty.

Then this from Companies House :

Next accounts made up to 31 December 2018 due by 30 September 2019.

Last accounts made up to 31 December 2017.

There is a red warning that they are overdue as well. Certainly doesn't look good.

Syd

There was also a notice for future Compulsory Striking (the company) Off in December but this was withdrawn in January because there was new information. I wrote to the proprietor, who replied that his case against Bank Santander is coming to court next month Covid-19 willing, but I guess that it will be postponed. He has no stock to sell & needs money to restart his business, so it seems that whether Golden Age Models starts trading again is dependent on the outcome of that court case.

In the meantime I wait to hear more about progress on improving the running of GAM coaches as I have a Silver Jubilee set with similar problems to others too.

William

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice on here about roller bearing axleboxes. My A1 is now complete and I think the washers worked well when rounded off. I also added the four rivets on each axle box cover with a pin and PVA.

F416BE81-114A-4DAC-A83E-B1D2300C5401.jpeg.cc27ccf51533c8f975c8c7160fe8554a.jpegEF946BEB-83E2-4762-9721-9BFBDF0BADE8.jpeg.be8887e7758c0b7883912c095f3fcb71.jpeg

She is now the designated power for the Night Scotsman on Gresley Jn. There are pictures of the complete train on my Gresley Jn thread if anyone’s interested:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

One I built on commision a while ago. Worse D&S kit I have made so far. I had one of my own to make, that was sold and I bought the Rail version much better and far better. Never did find out a Roof Colour for it , thsi colour was the owners choice at the time.

post-7186-0-87640600-1492356177_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-16551100-1492358507_thumb.jpg

The roof colour on mine was supposedly as preserved.

DSCF0972.JPG.0e94d2efcc7c6962879a080e8305d8d6.JPGDSCF1492.JPG.1a6f5f3c06e3fd6d6c65390cd5855132.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

As this is a soldering thread, I thought I’d share my experience of a recent purchase. I managed to drop and break my Xytronic soldering station just as the lockdown started. As this was my only soldering iron and with a fair bit of kit building lined up, a new iron was a priority. There’s quite a selection online, but the Xytronic which I had seems to be discontinued and replaced with one with a higher minimum temperature. So I asked a couple of people at my club what they had done and they’d both bought a Holife station from Amazon and been happy with the results. 

I found it on Amazon for £36, and at that price, despite never having heard of the company, I took the plunge. I set up up today and tried it out and first impressions are very favourable. It is easy to adjust and tells you what temperature it’s at as well as the target. It goes from 90-480 C and comes with five bits. The link is here if anyone’s interested. No connection etc....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F3G44YJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Andy

• Informative/Useful 7

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks for the advice on here about roller bearing axleboxes. My A1 is now complete and I think the washers worked well when rounded off. I also added the four rivets on each axle box cover with a pin and PVA.

F416BE81-114A-4DAC-A83E-B1D2300C5401.jpeg.cc27ccf51533c8f975c8c7160fe8554a.jpegEF946BEB-83E2-4762-9721-9BFBDF0BADE8.jpeg.be8887e7758c0b7883912c095f3fcb71.jpeg

She is now the designated power for the Night Scotsman on Gresley Jn. There are pictures of the complete train on my Gresley Jn thread if anyone’s interested:

Thanks for showing us this, Andy,

Just a couple or so points, if I may, please?

In the top picture the link holding the rear end of the union link to the crosshead appears to have come loose. It should be vertical. If you're not careful, in running it's liable to mangle the crosshead/slidebar arrangement. I have to say it's not a good piece of design in my view and must be securely soldered to the crosshead.

It would also appear that the return crank does not lean forward as it should on this side.  

In the bottom picture, the latter observation is totally opposite. The amount of forward lean to the return crank is ridiculous, making the expansion link almost horizontal in this position. 

The cab also appears not to have been modified during construction - that is, a slit made with a piercing saw between the top of the cabsides and the spectacle plate, allowing the area containing the side windows to rake-in a little. Without the mod, the cabsides are vertical throughout. I know you didn't build it and nothing can be done about it now.

How are the forward ends of the Cartazzi frames arranged? They would seem to be to be outside the rear drivers. They appear not to be raked in enough (on the real thing they're attached to the frames). May I suggest you snip a bit off each side to clear the rear drivers and bend them in to touch the frames?

I know my comments above might appear 'critical', but I think they're in the spirit of this thread. They are meant to be constructive, and, apart from altering the cab, the mods suggested don't appear to be too difficult. 

The roller bearing modifications have worked really well. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bulwell Hall said:

After another couple of hours today self-isolating in my shed and working on the track I set up a couple of trains to get an impression of how things will look in due course.  Saint class 2912 Saint Ambrose is standing in the Up platform at Maiden Newton with a Weymouth - Bristol stopping train whilst the second photo shows Dean Goods 2445 on a Down goods train approaching the station.  So far so good and I am encouraged to continue so back to the trackwork.  The upper view highlights the lack of slide chairs on the turnout in the foreground - I am currently awaiting a delivery of 3D printed chairs from Modelu to complete this section.

Gerry

20200330_180645 (2).jpg

20200330_180541 (2).jpg

Beautiful work!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

My comments regarding DJH A1s might best be illustrated by a couple of pictures of ones I've made.....

676682453_DJHA16015704.jpg.518f835b8578164ef2d8dfc8bfd1e063.jpg

Under-construction (now completed) 60157 with Cartazzi frames well clear of the rear drivers. Cab raked in (impossible without cutting a slit in the etch) and brass discs soldered on to the outside bearings of the Cartazzi truck and tender. 

1826668284_TonyWright03.jpg.6afe2f30723da6c7f440fa8eebce5194.jpg

From the rear, the cab rake-in is more-visible. 

Roller bearing discs in place, but not as effective (nor diligent in their application) as those of Andy Sparkes.

I have to say it's a privilege to have locos I've made painted by the likes of Ian Rathbone (who painted this one) and Geoff Haynes (who's painting 60157). 

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I have to say it's a privilege to have locos I've made painted by the likes of Ian Rathbone (who painted this one) and Geoff Haynes (who's painting 60157). 

Morning Tony. Did Ian also paint the wheels and motion? It's often struck me how realistic (i.e. true to how I remember them) they look on your locomotives. They seem to have the right amount of oily gleam along with the perfect shade to represent well-maintained loco motion. I presume the shade is achieved by a mix of paint ingredients?

• Like 1

One thing I've found important in scratch-building on the hoof (particularly where subassemblies are made and there are no plans) is to continually check and double check how things are progressing for fit, scale and overall look to make sure it is how you want.

So I've checked the entrance/forecourt assembly and station ramp entrance against the Southwark Towers building carcass. It's amazing what a jumble of shapes and structures the scene becomes as more is added in. And just how big it all is even in N/2mm scale. However, I'm relatively happy with the way it looks and anchors the bottom of the tower block (at least from this angle) but it does give an indication of just how much there is to do on this building (and there is another high rise one as well). Maybe I've bitten off . . . . . but then this lockdown and self isolation could last for ages and provide much opportunity. So must crack on - plenty to do.

Apologies for the variegated and contrasty lighting but I was taking the opportunity of the natural light through the windows and the sun has come out flooding everything with brightness and causing shadows:

DSC_9338.JPG.51cdac7373e0eaee858e825db050a314.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 25/03/2020 at 10:33, davefrk said:

Tony G. You are too modest, post your pictures and be damned. Some of the detractors on here have never picked up a scalpel.

All the best,

Dave Franks

See you sometime next year....

Agreed. There are also some excellent ' handbag ' swinging sessions on RM web.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

On 27/03/2020 at 15:41, Barry Ten said:

Those full rakes of BR maroon coaches behind A4s look fabulous. I have a very vivid memory of the first time I saw such a train: not in real life, but on the telly, in the 1959  Kenneth Moore version of "The Thirty-Nine Steps". I don't think it's considered the best adaptation, but I like it for the railway scenes.

The out takes from that film survive. they includes several dummy runs onto the Forth Bridge in order to stop

the train in the right place ( lovely fresh looking Gresley diner in the train ).

There is also a sequence, with the camera placed in the open end gangway door, trailing out of

Edinburgh Waverley. I believe I saw this superb footage at a Huntley film show some years back.

Keep safe, keep well everyone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for showing us this, Andy,

Just a couple or so points, if I may, please?

In the top picture the link holding the rear end of the union link to the crosshead appears to have come loose. It should be vertical. If you're not careful, in running it's liable to mangle the crosshead/slidebar arrangement. I have to say it's not a good piece of design in my view and must be securely soldered to the crosshead.

It would also appear that the return crank does not lean forward as it should on this side.  

In the bottom picture, the latter observation is totally opposite. The amount of forward lean to the return crank is ridiculous, making the expansion link almost horizontal in this position. 

The cab also appears not to have been modified during construction - that is, a slit made with a piercing saw between the top of the cabsides and the spectacle plate, allowing the area containing the side windows to rake-in a little. Without the mod, the cabsides are vertical throughout. I know you didn't build it and nothing can be done about it now.

How are the forward ends of the Cartazzi frames arranged? They would seem to be to be outside the rear drivers. They appear not to be raked in enough (on the real thing they're attached to the frames). May I suggest you snip a bit off each side to clear the rear drivers and bend them in to touch the frames?

I know my comments above might appear 'critical', but I think they're in the spirit of this thread. They are meant to be constructive, and, apart from altering the cab, the mods suggested don't appear to be too difficult. 

The roller bearing modifications have worked really well. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

I always know I’m going to get some homework when I post on here! In fact that’s one of the benefits for an unobservant modeller like myself. Once you point these things out it’s obvious, but frustratingly I don’t see them for myself.

The Cartazzi frames were easy to fix. Although you would have had a triumphant ‘told you so’ moment when one of them came off in my hand because the glue failed! It’s now soldered back on.

I find the whole valve gear business very confusing with lots of names which I have to look up so please excuse my ignorance and can I check that I understand your comments? The union link was loose on both sides and is held in with a tiny bolt. Is that supposed to be done up so tightly that it can’t move?

As for the return crank, is that the small rod which connects the main pin on the centre driver to the eccentric rod (Wikipedia call it the eccentric crank)? If so, am I right to assume that when the main coupling rod is top dead centre, the return crank should point at c. 5’o'clock as in the picture below? And on the opposite side it should point to c. 7’o’clock?

Thanks

Andy

40D64872-6688-408B-ADC2-A6CC7A0F0F85.jpeg.8d7b90eac2a192cf418e6f1f1e9703da.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@Bulwell Hall, is this laid out with the gradients to do the gravity shunt in the Bridport bay?

The unfinished turnout in the foreground of the Dean Goods photo leads to the Gravity Siding which went to the left of the water tower - a temporary structure.  It is my intention/hope that this operation will work by gravity as the prototype without the aid of any DCC trickery but this will require some experimentation.  I reckon that by using a sprung and very free running B set which is well weighted it should work - the problem is that I don't have the B set yet!  It may require the gradient of the siding to be exaggerated a little - we shall see and I will report back in due course but please don't hold your breath.  I am intending to build the B set from etched brass kits which should give sufficient weight and mass but these kits are still under development and then they will have to be built.

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

The unfinished turnout in the foreground of the Dean Goods photo leads to the Gravity Siding which went to the left of the water tower - a temporary structure.  It is my intention/hope that this operation will work by gravity as the prototype without the aid of any DCC trickery but this will require some experimentation.  I reckon that by using a sprung and very free running B set which is well weighted it should work - the problem is that I don't have the B set yet!  It may require the gradient of the siding to be exaggerated a little - we shall see and I will report back in due course but please don't hold your breath.  I am intending to build the B set from etched brass kits which should give sufficient weight and mass but these kits are still under development and then they will have to be built.

Gerry

I've built a Branch line on a 1 in 70 gradient and some 7mm stock will roll on that but as you say it's probably best to experiment.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've built a Branch line on a 1 in 70 gradient and some 7mm stock will roll on that but as you say it's probably best to experiment.

Jamie

My early railway modelling experiences were with Triang rolling stock which would barely move on the flat. H-D was only slightly better. My first Trix was a revelation, even if it was the wrong size!

Since then, I would want any stock to be free-wheeling enough to run away on a 1:100 incline. It makes such a difference to operation. If it means having some sort of braking mechanism in key locations around the layout, so be it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Gerry

Are you familiar with the EM model of Wellington? They did their gravity shunting by having a motor bogie in a carriage. It was very effective.

Lovely looking layout. It is nice to see that amount of care and work going into the track, which is so often a poor relation.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Tony,

I always know I’m going to get some homework when I post on here! In fact that’s one of the benefits for an unobservant modeller like myself. Once you point these things out it’s obvious, but frustratingly I don’t see them for myself.

The Cartazzi frames were easy to fix. Although you would have had a triumphant ‘told you so’ moment when one of them came off in my hand because the glue failed! It’s now soldered back on.

I find the whole valve gear business very confusing with lots of names which I have to look up so please excuse my ignorance and can I check that I understand your comments? The union link was loose on both sides and is held in with a tiny bolt. Is that supposed to be done up so tightly that it can’t move?

As for the return crank, is that the small rod which connects the main pin on the centre driver to the eccentric rod (Wikipedia call it the eccentric crank)? If so, am I right to assume that when the main coupling rod is top dead centre, the return crank should point at c. 5’o'clock as in the picture below? And on the opposite side it should point to c. 7’o’clock?

Thanks

Andy

40D64872-6688-408B-ADC2-A6CC7A0F0F85.jpeg.8d7b90eac2a192cf418e6f1f1e9703da.jpeg

Good morning Greenie,

I think Tony means the drop link where it is attached to the  crosshead, it seems to be pivoting back and forth. I would also have a look at the mechanical lubricator, I think the A1's, even the superb roller bearing locomotives, had a larger two gallon capacity type that was taller than that on the model.

With regard to the return crank, you have identified it correctly, It is easier to set up with the coupling rod at the bottom dead centre for both sides. The return crank then leans forwards from the twelve O clock position on most locomotives.

P.s. I've been watching the videos of your train formations in motion, they are most entertaining.

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2