Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 hours ago, DavGuthrie said:

Hello Tony - The current situation and indeed lockdown that I am now on have led me to return to kit construction after several years absence. However - where have all the suppliers of Romford Wheels / Mashima Motors etc gone??? I used to be able to get all my requirements from the likes of Dave Cleall at Mainly Trains (now long gone of course) but I am having problems sourcing 20-spoke 6'2" Drivers in 4mm for a Comet Britannia Chassis!!!  Any help would be gratefully received. However, I can also say that I am loving it again and wonder why I ever drifted away from kit construction!! Regards - David Guthrie 

I get all my wheels from Markits direct.................. 01923 249711.

Mention me, and Mark will commiserate with you!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, juke said:

Hi Tony

Several wrote, on my thread about the derailments, that they were intended as showcase models. I think that is strange given how long the display case would be for a 'correct' train.

They should certainly have been much better in use than they have proven to be though I only know of four people, including yourself, who have complained so perhaps they're right.

Your information about the prototype Deltic is great news as I have one of the first NRM models. I'll search it out and modify it. It is really good to have a use for it. Thank you!

I will have a few more notes about the running of my coaches, do you mind if I post them here for Dave? I know it's not construction.

Syd

Please post whatever you like, Syd,

I've heard from more than four sources about running problems of GAM's OO stock. 

That said, I don't want this thread to be seen as 'bashing' a firm when it's down. Visually (and mechanically with regard to the locos) some of the products are superb.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Andrew, very useful. There does seem to be a tiny bit of movement in the joint where the drop link attaches to the cross head (if I’ve understood the correct parts!). Is that something which we just ignore in 4mm scale?

Andy

Evening Andy,

I've been closely observing the crosshead and link arrangement on the V2, A3, A2 and A1. I can't discern any movement, I suspect it may be an optical illusion caused by the part in question being a separate link and that it is directly connected to and held in place by the gudgeon pin, the BR standards use the same arrangement. On an LMS locomotive, the gudgeon pin only holds the connecting rod to the crosshead. I confess, it is not something that I have thought too much about before, however, I don't see any reason why it should need to move.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That said, I don't want this thread to be seen as 'bashing' a firm when it's down. Visually (and mechanically with regard to the locos) some of the products are superb.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I don't intend to bash at all, that bit is over, they still have a few issues with running and that is what I want to investigate, then post whatever appears to help.

Tonights's information is that I have all eight coaches running perfectly at speed around the outer oval which I mentioned before but I have also now taken them through two crossovers at good speed. This is good because my crossovers are just Peco 75 large radius points but with less than ideal track spacing. That went well at moderate speed and I regards it as a pass.

The bad news is purely down to me. The inner oval has quite sharp curves and these coaches haven't run on it before. They have also highlighted some unnoticed laying errors which do not affect any other train. At least now I have more experience at removing ballast and repairing the faults.

Dave mentioned retracting the buffers and wiring them back and I believe that is how they operated from a post on my thread. I pushed them all back this evening and used Blu-tac  well packed round them as a temporary measure. This worked with some but five buffers at least

pinged off. Luckily I recovered them but not all of the springs so far. The stem of the buffer seems to be secured by a small piece of angled wire which is pushed into a wedge and I managed to press some material in in such a way that the piece of wire was dislodged. The running on the inside curves has shown this to be necessary so I'll think up a more permanent solution once I'm sure that was how they ran.

If I can get them reliable on this inside oval I'll move on to couplings and corridor connections.

I would still buy more of these if they became available again, they look and feel great and I now know how to get them running right, or nearly!

Syd

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Andy,

I've been closely observing the crosshead and link arrangement on the V2, A3, A2 and A1. I can't discern any movement, I suspect it may be an optical illusion caused by the part in question being a separate link and that it is directly connected to and held in place by the gudgeon pin, the BR standards use the same arrangement. On an LMS locomotive, the gudgeon pin only holds the connecting rod to the crosshead. I confess, it is not something that I have thought too much about before, however, I don't see any reason why it should need to move.

The drop link is solidly bolted to the crosshead, no movement is possible, in a model it's best to solder it up. At least with the LNER three bar arrangement the crosshead can still be removed from the slidebars as long as the back spacer block isn't fitted. With the LMS type two bar arrangement once the drop link is attached the crosshead won't go back past the motion bracket and the assembly sequence needs careful thinking. The nut on the outside of the crosshead is just to secure the little end of the connecting rod and shouldn't be used to secure the drop link - even though the little end pin goes through it in this case.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I had an email from them this week saying 

The only Catalogue available at present is the old 2013 (Link below)

Prices have changed a little bit.

We are in the process of re-writing BUT things have changed a bit…I have just Cast 72,000 Driving wheel of which there about 16 or 17 NEW types and sizes etc., and because our manufacturing system is changing, we are actually having to INVENT (quite literally) new machinery… all this takes time (& money) trying to keep up with orders emails phone orders AND Manufacturing means spare time is in short supply. Also I don’t want to put out the Catalogue with all the NEW Wheels until WE actually have some of each on the shelf.

We also have many new Brass Turnings.

Meanwhile just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean we don’t have it…Just ask or email.

Latest Reverser is a Steam Reverser….Identical to the SR ‘Q’, ‘Q1’, ‘Z’ , ‘G16’ and many others…. Quite impressive all screwed together (with our 14ba Nut-Spinner – along with all out Westinghouse Pumps)  together about 9 or 14 parts.

http://www.markits.com/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2013_09.pdf

Which seemed very helpful and reasonable. I will certainly be placing an order very soon.

Just to add whenever I have phoned an order he has been very helpful and delivery is usually a week or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks for all the comments regarding the pictures of LB's running sequence. With over 50 movements in it, it'll take a while to cover it all. Still, there's plenty of time.

I've taken a further few pictures this evening, and I'll process and post these tomorrow morning.

The plan is to post a few pictures following the sequence each day - critical comments most-welcome. 

weights.jpg.bf7b1173dc986137528027a8b57ecad0.jpg

One morning train is a Kings Cross-Grantham service, which stops. Why not a 'going-away-shot' as it departs, I thought? Quite forgetting that I'd made a further foot of rodding this afternoon, painted it and glued it down - adding weights until the glue dried! 

Not much more to do at this end, but still a further five feet next to the Down slow adjacent to the platform to make. 

Good Morning Tony,

Great to see the different running sequences, and the various angles you've taken photo's from. Is there room to take a general shot from above the girder bridge, looking south?

It may be too much of a laborious task, but the make up of the passenger trains would be very interesting, the prototypical ones and your versions if you've had to compromise anywhere. (I suspect you haven't though)

Best Regards,

Lee

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks for all the comments regarding the pictures of LB's running sequence. With over 50 movements in it, it'll take a while to cover it all. Still, there's plenty of time.

I've taken a further few pictures this evening, and I'll process and post these tomorrow morning.

The plan is to post a few pictures following the sequence each day - critical comments most-welcome. 

weights.jpg.bf7b1173dc986137528027a8b57ecad0.jpg

One morning train is a Kings Cross-Grantham service, which stops. Why not a 'going-away-shot' as it departs, I thought? Quite forgetting that I'd made a further foot of rodding this afternoon, painted it and glued it down - adding weights until the glue dried! 

Not much more to do at this end, but still a further five feet next to the Down slow adjacent to the platform to make. 

Hi Tony,

That looks an interesting rake. I can’t find any mention of the tourist twin SO in the CWN. is your rake based on a photo and, if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Andy

9 hours ago, juke said:

Hi Tony

I don't intend to bash at all, that bit is over, they still have a few issues with running and that is what I want to investigate, then post whatever appears to help.

Tonights's information is that I have all eight coaches running perfectly at speed around the outer oval which I mentioned before but I have also now taken them through two crossovers at good speed. This is good because my crossovers are just Peco 75 large radius points but with less than ideal track spacing. That went well at moderate speed and I regards it as a pass.

The bad news is purely down to me. The inner oval has quite sharp curves and these coaches haven't run on it before. They have also highlighted some unnoticed laying errors which do not affect any other train. At least now I have more experience at removing ballast and repairing the faults.

Dave mentioned retracting the buffers and wiring them back and I believe that is how they operated from a post on my thread. I pushed them all back this evening and used Blu-tac  well packed round them as a temporary measure. This worked with some but five buffers at least

pinged off. Luckily I recovered them but not all of the springs so far. The stem of the buffer seems to be secured by a small piece of angled wire which is pushed into a wedge and I managed to press some material in in such a way that the piece of wire was dislodged. The running on the inside curves has shown this to be necessary so I'll think up a more permanent solution once I'm sure that was how they ran.

If I can get them reliable on this inside oval I'll move on to couplings and corridor connections.

I would still buy more of these if they became available again, they look and feel great and I now know how to get them running right, or nearly!

Syd

Thanks Syd,

An enlightening post indeed.

What I find a bit disconcerting (not with your post, I hasten to add) is that a high-quality and highly-priced vehicle (or vehicles) should need attention from the owner(s) in order for it (them) to operate successfully.

When I pointed out to the proprietor the poor running/derailments on the Coronation set I had to assess, he said 'It's your trackwork which must be at fault'.  I replied by stating 'So, are you saying, that your train will not run without problems over track made and laid by the finest exponent of the craft, nor will it run over the 'industry standard (Peco)?'.

As I say, I heard nothing more, the set was returned and my review was 'pulled' (it would have done nobody any good). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Syd,

An enlightening post indeed.

What I find a bit disconcerting (not with your post, I hasten to add) is that a high-quality and highly-priced vehicle (or vehicles) should need attention from the owner(s) in order for it (them) to operate successfully.

When I pointed out to the proprietor the poor running/derailments on the Coronation set I had to assess, he said 'It's your trackwork which must be at fault'.  I replied by stating 'So, are you saying, that your train will not run without problems over track made and laid by the finest exponent of the craft, nor will it run over the 'industry standard (Peco)?'.

As I say, I heard nothing more, the set was returned and my review was 'pulled' (it would have done nobody any good). 

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't know the make in question but it reminds me of an incident at our club.  I was once asked to judge the 'rolling stock' competition.  Three goods wagons were presented. One was beatufully made and painted the other two less so.  There was one problem, the nice one's wheels wouldn't turn.  I awarded the trophy to the best of the other two.  The builder of the 'beautiful' wagon was very miffed to say the least.  I told him that to my simple mind a piece of 'rolling' stock ought to be able to roll.  I was never asked to be a judge again.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Funny 8

Just now, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Tony,

That looks an interesting rake. I can’t find any mention of the tourist twin SO in the CWN. is your rake based on a photo and, if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Andy

Good morning Andy,

It is based on a photograph in one of Keith Pirt's colour volumes (I'll have to check which one). It might well be that the photograph (at High Dyke) was taken on a busy summer Saturday, when anything which could turn a wheel was pressed into service. 

I cannot find references to any ex-Tourist twins in any of my CWNs. I imagine by the late-'50s they were considered spare. 

I've mentioned to you before that most of my trains are made-up (as far as I can) by reference to prototype photographs. Granted, most of those real pictures will have been taken at weekends in the summer when anything could be run. I recall visiting South Wales with a friend one weekend to photograph what was at Barry Docks in the mid-'60s. On our way home, on a Cardiff-Manchester express (Warship-hauled) we had the first carriage to ourselves - a Gresley SK. Obviously, it was a strengthener, and in no CWN. 

I cross-reference the prototype pictures with the CWNs where I can but often there is disparity (and many of the CWNs have scribbled alterations).  

As always, my rule is to observe the prototype (pragmatism accepted).  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The drop link is solidly bolted to the crosshead, no movement is possible, in a model it's best to solder it up. At least with the LNER three bar arrangement the crosshead can still be removed from the slidebars as long as the back spacer block isn't fitted. With the LMS type two bar arrangement once the drop link is attached the crosshead won't go back past the motion bracket and the assembly sequence needs careful thinking. The nut on the outside of the crosshead is just to secure the little end of the connecting rod and shouldn't be used to secure the drop link - even though the little end pin goes through it in this case.

Thanks, Mike, that makes sense.

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I don't know the make in question but it reminds me of an incident at our club.  I was once asked to judge the 'rolling stock' competition.  Three goods wagons were presented. One was beatufully made and painted the other two less so.  There was one problem, the nice one's wheels wouldn't turn.  I awarded the trophy to the bestbof the other two.  The builder of the 'beautiful' wagon was very miffed to say the least.  I told him that to my simple mind a piece of 'rolling' stock ought to ve able to roll.  I was never asked to be a judge again.  

Jamie

I did something similar when once, and the only occasion I was asked, judging a few locos. As guests of the club I and my fellow judge were seen, and expected to be, impartial.

There were several definite 'winners' among the entries including one from a very well known and skilled modeller.

After a prolonged discussion I impressed on my friend that, despite the well known modeller's entry being superbly built and finished along with subtle weathering, the unweathered wheels and motion put me off. My friend knew the modeller and his reputation, maybe I was a little naive?

The eventual winner had been scratch built and painted to a consistent degree all over.

I think it's possible Jamie may be aware of the particular episode but won't mention names, although both the modeller and my fellow judge have since passed away.

• Like 1

Morning all,

I’ve got a problem with my new jar of flux and this seemed this best place to ask for help. The flux is the Barry Stevenson type sold by Eileen’s Emporium. I bought a jar from there a few years ago and it worked fine but the new jar doesn’t work. The flux fizzes a little bit and then just smokes like electrical solder. The solder doesn’t flow into joints and just puddles up. I’ve cleaned the brass with a fibre glass pencil and cranked up the heat so the brass isn’t too cold. Both fluxes are 9% phosphoric acid so they should be identical. One thing I did note was that the new flux smells much stronger (and differently). Has anyone else had this problem or got any advise on how to cure it?

image.jpg.fd89445270c2f4503e4121959f257e4b.jpg

The new flux is on the left and the old on the right.image.jpg.61c79956eb50c9cdf76af3d0dc54a014.jpg

This was the best joint I could make.

Regards,

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to everyone who’s offered advice on my A1 valve gear. It proves what a remarkable resource RMWeb and this thread in particular is. I’ve fastened up (hard) the tiny nut at the bottom of the drop link which was loose on both sides. This seems to stop it flopping about. I’ll solder it firmly in place once I’ve fully test run it for a few weeks. 

The eccentric crank was very loose so I had to dismantle that part and resolder. That also seems to have worked and the while valve gear now looks fine when running.

I have to say it’s very confusing with lots of different terminology not all matching Tim’s excellent diagram. I begin to see why people are attracted to the GWR ‘Russian Dolls’!

Now onto Tony’s other home work which should be straightforward! 

• Like 1

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

33 minutes ago, great central said:

I did something similar when once, and the only occasion I was asked, judging a few locos. As guests of the club I and my fellow judge were seen, and expected to be, impartial.

There were several definite 'winners' among the entries including one from a very well known and skilled modeller.

After a prolonged discussion I impressed on my friend that, despite the well known modeller's entry being superbly built and finished along with subtle weathering, the unweathered wheels and motion put me off. My friend knew the modeller and his reputation, maybe I was a little naive?

The eventual winner had been scratch built and painted to a consistent degree all over.

I think it's possible Jamie may be aware of the particular episode but won't mention names, although both the modeller and my fellow judge have since passed away.

You might recall some years ago at the Bulwell Show when a certain layout expected to win the 'best in show', but didn't.

I believe there was an 'official complaint' to Ian Trivett. Not the done thing, especially when one of the judges was Geoff Kent!

It was the year WMRC won a paper plate, the official cup not having been returned. I duly returned the paper plate a year later.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

I've shown this picture already, but it saves me the time in not having to take all new pictures.

More tomorrow..........

Regards,

Tony.  

Hi Tony,

I love seeing all the passenger trains, but I am a goods wagon tragic.

Can we see photos of more goods trains please?

Mundane, ordinary stuff... nothing fancy!

I am possibly the only person so inclined, but nothing beats a grimy 2-8-0 hauling a nice long train of open wagons and vans

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I would be straight onto the phone to EE - it could be a case of mis-labelling.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

Unfortunately, I bought the jar quite a while ago when I thought I was getting low so I’m not sure if I’d be able to get a replacement. I’ll try anyway.

Regards,

Jamie

23 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Morning all,

I’ve got a problem with my new jar of flux and this seemed this best place to ask for help. The flux is the Barry Stevenson type sold by Eileen’s Emporium. I bought a jar from there a few years ago and it worked fine but the new jar doesn’t work. The flux fizzes a little bit and then just smokes like electrical solder. The solder doesn’t flow into joints and just puddles up. I’ve cleaned the brass with a fibre glass pencil and cranked up the heat so the brass isn’t too cold. Both fluxes are 9% phosphoric acid so they should be identical. One thing I did note was that the new flux smells much stronger (and differently). Has anyone else had this problem or got any advise on how to cure it?

image.jpg.fd89445270c2f4503e4121959f257e4b.jpg

The new flux is on the left and the old on the right.image.jpg.61c79956eb50c9cdf76af3d0dc54a014.jpg

This was the best joint I could make.

Regards,

Jamie

That's not good news. I have an un-opened new jar of that flux. Let us know the outcome please Jamie. If it's a duff batch, I'll need to get mine changed too.......

• Friendly/supportive 2

33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

You might recall some years ago at the Bulwell Show when a certain layout expected to win the 'best in show', but didn't.

I believe there was an 'official complaint' to Ian Trivett. Not the done thing, especially when one of the judges was Geoff Kent!

It was the year WMRC won a paper plate, the official cup not having been returned. I duly returned the paper plate a year later.

Regards,

Tony. 

Ah yes, the famous paper plates, still in intermittent use until we had to stop the big shows.

Good morning Lee,

Such a picture can be done, and I'll give it a go.

I've had to compromise quite a bit (compromise is an art form, after all), but I think most of the rakes are as 'accurate' as my skills/resources will allow. Most are based on prototype evidence.

Anyway, here are the next few trains in the sequence.........

754526913_sequence13stoppers.jpg.407d3b72859a2469e7849641477c9353.jpg

Stoppers at LB tended to be a few in the morning, followed by large gaps, until a couple or so in the evening. In the PTT, two morning stoppers are close together in time at the station, and I've arranged the sequence so that their arrivals coincide. The B12/3 is on a Grantham-Peterborough all stations service and the freshly-shopped V2 on a Kings Cross-Grantham service. The picture was taken from the stationmaster's garden.

329644758_sequence14MasterCutler.jpg.83454e45f5ceb22d7ac32006aed301bf.jpg

With the Up fast clear, there's a path for 'The Master Cutler'. This will be the first of four runs this set will make during the day. It'll return late morning as 'The Sheffield Pullman', then come back Up as such, to return in the evening as the Down 'Master Cutler'. 

Since I took this picture, the point rodding now extends to behind the camera! 

290779344_sequence15MasterCutler.jpg.fa98eaacf582ed7686f17267adf13c57.jpg

Which means almost maximum occupancy at LB.  I admit, this scene is anomalous. Grantham's B12s had gone by the time the 'Cutler' was on the ECML, but rule one applies, and hypocrisy rules!  

2115280649_sequence16KingsCross-Grantham.jpg.9c64cd60f87fdc8fbb27ee069d73edfd.jpg

The Kings Cross-Grantham service gets away.

374906596_sequence17Grantham-Peterborough.jpg.6cf12d5d71fba2d8dacef42cc2778d61.jpg

As does the 'parly'. The previous train on the Up slow was a full minerals, so this service is taking the Up fast (it's signalled to) as far as Essendine, where that freight will then have to wait.

I've pored over pictures of these humble trains, and no two sets ever seem to be the same. Gangwayed stock is listed in the CWNs, yet lots of examples of non-gangwayed vehicles appear in pictures. One shot I have, taken at Essendine, shows an Up stopper (behind a running-in V2) with two pieces of carriage antiquity, and a brand new Mk.1! 

1750413256_sequence18YorkHullexpress.jpg.e9ec0bc1b49ea1fbaeaec202628716ff.jpg

The stopper will go 'inside' at Essendine and be overtaken by the morning York/Hull combined (at Doncaster) express, complete with full Kitchen Car. 50A's 60501 has the duty today.

I've shown this picture already, but it saves me the time in not having to take all new pictures.

More tomorrow..........

Regards,

Tony.  

Hi Tony

Great photos and a great idea, please keep them coming 

Regards

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Craigw said:

Hi Tony,

I love seeing all the passenger trains, but I am a goods wagon tragic.

Can we see photos of more goods trains please?

Mundane, ordinary stuff... nothing fancy!

I am possibly the only person so inclined, but nothing beats a grimy 2-8-0 hauling a nice long train of open wagons and vans

Regards,

Craig W

A 9F on a GC line 'windcutter'?

I still have a vivid memory of travelling to my aunt's with my mother. We lived in Nottingham, aunt in Loughborough, always used the GC from Victoria.

During the station stop at either Ruddington or East Leake a 9F hauled empty windcutter thundered through northbound, no doubt the crew heading for Annesley and home. I was used to seeing these at New Basford where they were slowed a little by the gradient but to see one in full flight was something else:clapping_mini:

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 9