Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 31/03/2020 at 12:41, CF MRC said:

931E27E2-CDCC-4B63-853D-EA19165737FF_zps

Maybe this helps with nomenclature? Valve gear on a P2.

Tim

Most interesting; thank you.  But what would be even more interesting is if someone could please explain not just what the parts are, but what they are for!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, BoD said:

It is interesting to see how that, in most photographs, the backscene blends in seamlessly yet one photo shows it to be, in parts, quite separate from the layout. It just goes to show that, with careful design, the eye can be easily deceived.

A while back you started to discuss the techniques you used when photographing your layout. Would it be rude to ask you to share the lighting set up you use for photography?  Without revealing too many secrets of the trade of course.

I assume the question is asked of me?

There certainly aren't any trade secrets. The room the layout is housed in is very well-lit by numerous white light tubes. They overlap in their light distribution, so as not to give too much one-directional lighting. Though the room has windows, they're covered to prevent natural light entering (the covers/curtains can be opened). Natural light is usually far too powerful, especially direct sunlight, even shaded sunlight. 

Before taking any picture I make sure there's nothing out of place (even weights holding the rodding down - how did I miss that!), check that signals show the correct aspect, that telegraph poles aren't leaning, that loco lamps are correct for the job and don't lean, and I always give the loco/stock subject matter a quick flick with a soft, vanity brush to remove flecks of dust or the odd cobweb. I wish I could say I'm always diligent with these imperatives. 

I then 'fly the camera by the seat of my pants', always using the smallest aperture on the lenses - usually between F29 and F45 dependent on the lens. Exposures are typically five-seven seconds at these minute apertures, with the ISO at 100. During the exposure, I use pulses of fill-in flash to pick out detail, typically under footplates. 

I shoot on TIF, at the camera's highest quality (A Nikon D3 and a Nikon Df, both full-frame). 

Processing is then by Paint Shop Pro (I find it more intuitive the Photoshop).

That's it really.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

Most interesting; thank you.  But what would be even more interesting is if someone could please explain not just what the parts are, but what they are for!

For a quick stater for ten. The gubbins at the top controls how steam is admitted to and released from the cylinders, to set the direction of travel of the locomotive and take advantage of the expansive properties of steam. This can be adjusted to make the loco go faster without defeating the capacity of the boiler to produce steam. The gubbins at the bottom transmits the force produced by the steam introduced in to the cylinder and acting on the piston rod, to the wheel rim, in order to move the locomotive along the track.

Edited by Headstock
add comer.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

The critical component in the valve gear is the expansion link.  You could also call it the forward and reverse gear.  In the labelled image it is in mid-gear, i.e. neutral, with very little movement of the radius rod.  An engine would be parked with the gear in this position.  With the radius rod at the top or bottom of the link, there would clearly be more to and fro movement on it. 

The expansion link drives the valve spindle back and forth (hidden in the valve guide at the front) so that steam is admitted at the correct point to either end of the piston, the position of the two also being tied together by the combination lever and union link.  

Let’s start with the piston in the middle of the cylinder. If we assume that the engine needs to start in forward gear, then the radius rod is dropped to the bottom of the expansion link, to position the valve so that the maximum amount of steam is introduced at the appropriate end of the cylinder to move the piston in the correct direction of travel to go forwards on the wheels, with full power.  This video should make the relative movements clearer:

(The front end arrangement of the radius rod and valve spindle and eccentric crank angle is slightly anomalous because this model has a slide valve rather than piston valve, with different steam entry arrangements to the real thing).

Once the engine is moving then the radius rod can be raised in the expansion link to being closer to mid-gear.  This has the effect of reducing the movement of the valve spindle, only letting in a little puff of steam to the cylinder ends on each stroke of the piston.  This allows for the small amount of steam to expand in the cylinder, getting the maximum energy from it, hence the term ‘expansion link’ and giving more economical running.  (The equivalent in a car would be that we start in first gear for high power and then go up through the gears to reduce the amount of work that the engine is doing.)

If the engine needs to stop, then the regulator is shut and the engine will come to a stop with the brakes applied.  If it now needs to go in reverse, then the valve position is altered in relation to the resting position of the piston, (nominally in the middle of the cylinder) by moving it to the top of the quadrant, so that the piston changes direction for reverse running. 

Hope this explanation is of some help.  When the A3 is next in steam, I’ll make a video to show the changes with reversing the valve gear. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Craig,

What I'm doing is working through the sequence on LB; which, as dictated by the prototype PTT and WTT is mainly passenger traffic, mostly long and long-distance. 

There are a few freights to come. However, even though it's a four track main line, a lot of the slow mineral traffic to and from the Yorkshire pits would have gone down the joint line to Peterborough or to March. Coal traffic through LB would have originated mainly in Nottinghamshire. 

1992650346_RM016Austerity.jpg.14f9dadec152f55de8e021bcd861cbe7.jpg

I arranged this picture based on a Gavin Morrison picture, and it was published in the RM earlier this year. It's odd that empties like this would be given the fast road, but that's how it was in the real picture. This working is not part of the sequence.

Not much point rodding present here.

464367949_AusterityO43.jpg.65cb37c546566609e31586e56b2f1d78.jpg

Another 'arranged' shot, because it's highly-unlikely that a loco (other than that on the pick-up, which this O4 isn't) would be standing in the limestone loading dock.

The Austerity is the same as in the previous shot, and will appear again.

Are these two grimy enough? The Austerity is my work; the O4 Tony Geary's. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Absolutely perfect.

They made my morning (Australian time). I was sitting down at 0530 with a cat in my lap, eating breakfast and drinking a coffee and looking at this. I work in an essential Industry and we are working this week so i still have the early starts. 

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, ROY@34F said:

I remember many interesting conversations with him .

Every conversation I had with Malcolm, whether about work or about model railways, was interesting.

Edited by St Enodoc
Missed a word out!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Crikey, don't mention Shackletons. @Barry O will be pestering me again.

Getonwithit! You know it makes sense. That shacklebox won't  build itself and I am not sure you have enough elves and pixies to build it overnight for you.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Getonwithit! You know it makes sense. That shacklebox won't  build itself and I am not sure you have enough elves and pixies to build it overnight for you.

Baz

See what I mean...

• Funny 2

23 minutes ago, dibateg said:

I'm really enjoying the photo sequences Tony, although like many, it is a circular layout, each train is going somewhere and has a purpose. I like the long distance semi-fast stopper with a motley selection of coaches - the second being the tourist artic pair. The curve north of the station is just perfect, and that WD on the minerals... my type of train!

Point rodding takes an age - no one on Heyside wanted to do it, so that was my scenic contribution. All my other work is underneath!!

IMG_20160120_161039a.jpg.6b5113bcd383802fdb36a99940f8c974.jpg

Keep them coming!

That's a superb looking layout. Where can we see more pictures?

Graeme

• Agree 12

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'Is there any records of the passengers starting or finishing journeys there?'

Only anecdotal, Martin; from villagers I've spoken to, some, sadly, no longer with us. 

To go longer distances, a change would probably have to be made at either Peterborough or Grantham after taking the train from Bytham. One common trip was to take an Up train to Essendine, change there, then take the train to Stamford East return, particularly on market day. Such a service today (in normal times, of course) would be wonderful, and there is definitely a need now for a 'parkway' station on Stoke Bank, such has been the growth of Bourne and the some of the surrounding villages. 

However, Little Bytham Station was not greatly-used back just before closure. In every prototype picture I've got of it there are no passengers! 

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Afternoon Tony,

My Dad's late sister Pat, (don't think you met her, she passed away in 2009) used to take the train every morning from Bytham to Essendine, then change for Stamford East, to get to her job at Boots in Stamford.

I will be dropping some papers through your letterbox over the weekend, something I have stumbled upon In the last few days, which makes interesting reading. 

Best Regards,

Lee

Edited by lee74clarke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jacko said:

That's a superb looking layout. Where can we see more pictures?

Graeme

Search ‘Heyside’ and you’ll find a blog on RMweb.  :imsohappy:

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The critical component in the valve gear is the expansion link.  You could also call it the forward and reverse gear.  In the labelled image it is in mid-gear, i.e. neutral, with very little movement of the radius rod.  An engine would be parked with the gear in this position.  With the radius rod at the top or bottom of the link, there would clearly be more to and fro movement on it. 

The expansion link drives the valve spindle back and forth (hidden in the valve guide at the front) so that steam is admitted at the correct point to either end of the piston, the position of the two also being tied together by the combination lever and union link.  

Let’s start with the piston in the middle of the cylinder. If we assume that the engine needs to start in forward gear, then the radius rod is dropped to the bottom of the expansion link, to position the valve so that the maximum amount of steam is introduced at the appropriate end of the cylinder to move the piston in the correct direction of travel to go forwards on the wheels, with full power.  This video should make the relative movements clearer:

(The front end arrangement of the radius rod and valve spindle and eccentric crank angle is slightly anomalous because this model has a slide valve rather than piston valve, with different steam entry arrangements to the real thing).

Once the engine is moving then the radius rod can be raised in the expansion link to being closer to mid-gear.  This has the effect of reducing the movement of the valve spindle, only letting in a little puff of steam to the cylinder ends on each stroke of the piston.  This allows for the small amount of steam to expand in the cylinder, getting the maximum energy from it, hence the term ‘expansion link’ and giving more economical running.  (The equivalent in a car would be that we start in first gear for high power and then go up through the gears to reduce the amount of work that the engine is doing.)

If the engine needs to stop, then the regulator is shut and the engine will come to a stop with the brakes applied.  If it now needs to go in reverse, then the valve position is altered in relation to the resting position of the piston, (nominally in the middle of the cylinder) by moving it to the top of the quadrant, so that the piston changes direction for reverse running. 

Hope this explanation is of some help.  When the A3 is next in steam, I’ll make a video to show the changes with reversing the valve gear. 

Tim

Thanks for posting that Tim . A nice bit of film about the valve gear . It's obviously a model live steam loco . as it is "outside" admission , (and  most likely slide valve , which is easier to maintain in miniature engines)  , evident by the "wrong" lean of the eccentric crank . and also the joint of the radius rod with the combination lever is below  that of the valve spindle joint with the combination lever . this would be the other way round  on a full size A3 , which is an "inside" admission engine . Outside admission  simply means steam is admitted into the cylinder from the outside end of the valves movement (usually old early slide valve engines) , whereas all modern engines using walchearts valve gear used "inside" admission & piston valves , evident by the more familiar lean of the eccentric  arm  and the arrangement of the radius rod/combination lever joint being ABOVE that of the valve spindle /combination lever joint ,  where of course steam is admitted between the two piston valves , "inside" the two valves . Steam is exhausted "outside" the valves on a inside admission engine .

The radius link or expansion link , appropriately called as you say controls how much the valves move and therefore for how long steam is admitted into the cylinder . i.e.. in full gear forward or backward , with the radius rod at the bottom or the top of the link ,  steam is admitted to the cylinder for 75% of the pistons travel , the valves moving the maximum amount . By "winding up" the gear , as we used to say , you reduce the time steam is admitted , as required  , to maintain the speed and use less steam of course . During the piston stroke the steam expands as you say , so saving steam again .....and keeping the fireman happy ! 

I hope this makes sense . I am no expert by any means . Just have fond memories of my days as a young fireman , and trying to learn as much as I could about the engines .

Regards , Roy .

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, ROY@34F said:

Thanks for posting that Tim . A nice bit of film about the valve gear . It's obviously a model live steam loco . as it is "outside" admission , (and  most likely slide valve , which is easier to maintain in miniature engines)  , evident by the "wrong" lean of the eccentric crank . and also the joint of the radius rod with the combination lever is below  that of the valve spindle joint with the combination lever . this would be the other way round  on a full size A3 , which is an "inside" admission engine . Outside admission  simply means steam is admitted into the cylinder from the outside end of the valves movement (usually old early slide valve engines) , whereas all modern engines using walchearts valve gear used "inside" admission & piston valves , evident by the more familiar lean of the eccentric  arm  and the arrangement of the radius rod/combination lever joint being ABOVE that of the valve spindle /combination lever joint ,  where of course steam is admitted between the two piston valves , "inside" the two valves . Steam is exhausted "outside" the valves on a inside admission engine .

The radius link or expansion link , appropriately called as you say controls how much the valves move and therefore for how long steam is admitted into the cylinder . i.e.. in full gear forward or backward , with the radius rod at the bottom or the top of the link ,  steam is admitted to the cylinder for 75% of the pistons travel , the valves moving the maximum amount . By "winding up" the gear , as we used to say , you reduce the time steam is admitted , as required  , to maintain the speed and use less steam of course . During the piston stroke the steam expands as you say , so saving steam again .....and keeping the fireman happy ! 

I hope this makes sense . I am no expert by any means . Just have fond memories of my days as a young fireman , and trying to learn as much as I could about the engines .

Regards , Roy .

Thanks Roy,

Just one point.......

'whereas all modern engines using walchearts valve gear used "inside" admission'

The rebuilt (Jarvis) Bulleid Pacifics all had outside admission on their Walschaerts valve gear (an inheritance from their original chain-driven gear).

This means that the return cranks lean backwards. When in motion, compared with the 'elegance' of Gresley's gear, they look quite manic.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Once upon a time, when Modelspares in Burnley was still trading and the purveyor of all Hornby spares known to man (the Margate ones, at least), screws with plain shanks were easily available.  Now that Mr. Modelspares has retired, is there still a ready source of such items?  I recall Tony making mention of them a few pages back as the ideal pivot screw to use for attaching Pony, Bogie and Trailing Trucks to Loco chassis.

Many thanks

Brian

IMG_0714[1].JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos Tony. I do like a traditional pick-up goods train. 

Is all your freight stock  (bar 'through freight) fitted with Sprat and Winkle couplings? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Agree 1