Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

12 minutes ago, dibateg said:

I thought I'd better put the record straight regarding Woodfords stationary boiler, to paraphrase the caption in Tony Newtons book ' J10 65158 was the stationary boiler, and that was replaced by 64742, which in turn was replaced by 64747 in 1962' 

There were a few J39s at Woodford over the years which included 64955, which I originally made in 4mm scale from the Wills kit on a Triang Jinty chassis - later upgraded with the correct size Romford wheels. It was replaced with Stephen Gradidge's loco.

I have a ready to run 7mm scale Tower one - which I have tinkered with ( and taken the slitting disk to in places! ). I cannot tolerate exposed screwheads, so they have all been dealt with. 64955 was one of the few J39s with the 4000 gallon tender.

64955.jpg.5bad88253616bd0b0a2ad448baf4329e.jpg

Regards

Tony

A beautifully-natural loco,Tony.

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tony. 

5 hours ago, Iain.d said:

The most disappointing part of building these four wagons has been the application of the transfers, I made a right pigs ear of those! I sprayed the vehicles  and then brushed gloss varnish where they were going to sit. I trimmed as much of the carrier film away as I could but unfortunately they didn’t take to well and silvered badly, especially the BY and the crimson cattle van, but it wasn’t evident before I sprayed the varnish. Time allowing I’ll strip them off this week and see what I can cobble up from old part HMRS sheets I have; failing that I'll probably order a sheet from CCT when they are back up and running.

It isn't too clear from your description, but did you seal the transfers with water-based gloss varnish before spraying the final varnish?

I always use Klear - see http://nswbgmodelling.airleague.com.au/PlasticModelPage/TheCompleteFuture.htm  - before and after applying waterslide transfers. In fact, with a little practice, you can apply the transfers into wet Klear so that they are, in effect, surrounded by Klear - zero silvering guaranteed.

If applying transfers in the conventional way over plank joints etc., the use of https://sgsmodelstore.com/products/microscale-industries-micro-sol-micro-set-decals-solution-pack-of-2?variant=31188993540174&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2018-08-09&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4bZnsHO6AIViLbtCh3MXQaMEAQYASABEgLlQfD_BwE will greatly assist adhesion.

I have applied my Palethorpes sausage van transfers as one-piece, whole side transfers over raised detail, using Microset before applying the transfer, and then several copious applications of Microsol over a period of time, gently pressing the transfer into the detail.

I trust that the foregoing will be of assistance, and I look forward to (eventually) supplying your transfer needs again.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As Tony knows, and I think you do too Trevor, I culled the prototype timetable so that the Mid-Cornwall Lines runs about 60% of the real trains on a summer Friday and Saturday in the 1950s. I don't worry about doubling up sets though, as long as there is a decent interval between them reappearing. Remarshalling helps in this regard too. For space reasons, each train is also only about 60% of the prototype length, so for example the real 10-car Cornish Riviera Express is six cars long on the layout.

Yes John, and the Xpress Publishing book and Robert Carroll's website are invaluable in this regard. My problem - and it's quite a pleasurable one in some ways - is knowing which trains to represent. Without going into unnecessary detail, my established aims are for

•  Loaded and empty china clay trains.
  • The up Cornishman c1960 (up because it often had a siphon attached for flowers).
  • The same train c1955 because of the mixture of stock plus a 12 wheel diner.
  • Down Paddington - Falmouth. (For sentimental reasons).

Then I need to decide... One of the Manchester - Penzance trains is an obvious one, the Mail, a Newton - Penzance 'local', the Crewe parcels, Broccoli. The list goes on but as i say, a nice problem to have :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is beautiful work, Iain,

Thanks for showing us. 

You've taken these vehicles far beyond my 'sketch-book' approach to modelling. The attention to detail is wonderfully well-observed.

In my defence (if defence is the right word) with over 250 carriages/bogie parcels stock and 300 wagons needed for a layout like LB, for everything to be detailed to the standard you've achieved would be impracticable, even impossible; even assuming I had the requisite skills. Granted, I've not made/modified every item of stock on Little Bytham (especially the freight vehicles), but I've made/modified most of the passenger-rated stuff. 

I'm certainly not advocating slipshod modelling, but pragmatism dictates some short-cuts, even if a modelling lifetime's is envisaged. 

Unless one has an enormous range of resources, where professionals can be brought in, populating a very large layout with high-quality items such as locos and rolling stock, then a very substantial 'sketch-book' is required.

...snipped...

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Which brings me back (to paraphrase Iain Rice) 'layout vehicles'. Although yours are layout-destined, I'd opine that they're more than that. I commend you.

Regards,

Tony. 

Your comments are very kind, thank you.

I don’t think there’s anything ‘sketch-book’ about Little Bytham, your images of the last few days are testament that. To me its modelling at the highest level, and something to be emulated. And there’s certainly nothing slipshod about it.

My first foray into better detailing of coaches was the purchase, in 1998, of a book by a chap called Tony Wright about ‘Detailing and Improving Ready to Run Coaches’. Eight Lima Mk1s got the treatment and at the time I was very proud of them; today not so! They’re pretty amateurish, but they were a start.

I fully get the need to be pragmatic with layouts unless there is lots of support and resources but at the moment I don’t have a layout and it will be a few years yet before something gets built, so I’m able to focus on building stock.  I am a one man band, I’ve been lucky to have been able to accumulate modelling ‘stuff’ over the last 25 or so years so I spend my time now putting it together. I’ve done some 60 carriage rebuilds and kits (with about a dozen more to do), about 20 loco kit builds (with about 15 to go) and a few wagons (heaps to go). There’s some RTR that will need improving too.

I think Iain Rice talked about a three foot rule, I set myself a two foot rule!

Regards,

Iain

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

It isn't too clear from your description, but did you seal the transfers with water-based gloss varnish before spraying the final varnish?

I always use Klear - see http://nswbgmodelling.airleague.com.au/PlasticModelPage/TheCompleteFuture.htm  - before and after applying waterslide transfers. In fact, with a little practice, you can apply the transfers into wet Klear so that they are, in effect, surrounded by Klear - zero silvering guaranteed.

If applying transfers in the conventional way over plank joints etc., the use of https://sgsmodelstore.com/products/microscale-industries-micro-sol-micro-set-decals-solution-pack-of-2?variant=31188993540174&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2018-08-09&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4bZnsHO6AIViLbtCh3MXQaMEAQYASABEgLlQfD_BwE will greatly assist adhesion.

I have applied my Palethorpes sausage van transfers as one-piece, whole side transfers over raised detail, using Microset before applying the transfer, and then several copious applications of Microsol over a period of time, gently pressing the transfer into the detail.

I trust that the foregoing will be of assistance, and I look forward to (eventually) supplying your transfer needs again.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Hi John,

No, I didn’t seal the transfers with varnish before I did the final spray – mind you I’ve never done that before anyway and not had any major concerns, well not like these!

For these ones, I sprayed Railmatch enamel paints, let it dry overnight then brushed Vallejo gloss varnish where the transfers were going, applied the transfers, they seemed okay, left the models a few hours and then sprayed them with Mig Ultra Matt Varnish.

It was pretty warm in the garage when I sprayed them last weekend – about 27 and a little humid, so I thought that might have been part of the issue. Also, I normally use Humbrol gloss varnish but this time the tin was dry….so I thought that using Vallejo might be part of the issue too.

Thanks for your assistance and comments. I’ll look to order a couple of sheets when you’re back up and running. I’m guessing BL157 for the cattle vans and BL97 for the southern vans?

Kind regards,

Iain

6 minutes ago, Iain.d said:

Hi John,

No, I didn’t seal the transfers with varnish before I did the final spray – mind you I’ve never done that before anyway and not had any major concerns, well not like these!

For these ones, I sprayed Railmatch enamel paints, let it dry overnight then brushed Vallejo gloss varnish where the transfers were going, applied the transfers, they seemed okay, left the models a few hours and then sprayed them with Mig Ultra Matt Varnish.

It was pretty warm in the garage when I sprayed them last weekend – about 27 and a little humid, so I thought that might have been part of the issue. Also, I normally use Humbrol gloss varnish but this time the tin was dry….so I thought that using Vallejo might be part of the issue too.

Thanks for your assistance and comments. I’ll look to order a couple of sheets when you’re back up and running. I’m guessing BL157 for the cattle vans and BL97 for the southern vans?

Kind regards,

Iain

As per the instructions, my transfers should always be sealed with a water-based gloss varnish; (such as Klear); before overspraying. The transfer may appear to have adhered properly, but my guess is that some matt varnish managed to get between the model and the carrier film - that would account for the silvered appearance. Don't use Humbrol varnished directly over the transfers - the solvent base is likely to adversely affect the ink and carrier film.

BL157 is for ordinary cattle wagons; the official designation of your van is a prize cattle van. As such, the correct transfers can be found on sheet S1. BL97 is, as you suggest, correct for the ex-SR vans.

Regards,

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As per the instructions, my transfers should always be sealed with a water-based gloss varnish; (such as Klear); before overspraying. The transfer may appear to have adhered properly, but my guess is that some matt varnish managed to get between the model and the carrier film - that would account for the silvered appearance. Don't use Humbrol varnished directly over the transfers - the solvent base is likely to adversely affect the ink and carrier film.

It may be the most incredibly fortunate timing to be reading this now.  I have a batch of "improved" Hornby tank wagons with all the data panels and star transfers done and I was just about to go and use some Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish (which keeps separating I've noticed) to seal them.  It's a water-soluble varnish so would have thought it's OK.  All the transfers are Fox and Modelmaster.

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It's moved on a lot since you took those photos, I should have been back there now with the latest delivery of buildings from Ukraine but they are stuck in Cyprus and I'm stuck here.

20200225_172823.jpg.7868821be034f9bd901ca4bfd0130cbc.jpg

20200225_172550.jpg.9c20e4dbc15e7bfd9092dcafae43b16d.jpg

Much more scenic work done, including the river and backscene now. Dentonholme goods shed needs some modification though when I get back to it.

It looks fantastic progress, Mike.

Thanks for showing us. 

I know David would like me back for more photography (no criticism of yours), and the RM is interested in a further piece on this epic layout; the largest prototype-based 4mm layout ever built?). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11

I try and fit it if I can see it. Which is why there are passengers with mugs of drink in my carriages.

That though might in part explain why I take 8 months to build a loco and Tony can turn one around in a week. Mine also do not come close to the standard of Tony’s even after all that extra time. 

I doubt I will fill a fiddle yard like that by the end. Too many carriages to build  too little time. 
richard 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

It may be the most incredibly fortunate timing to be reading this now.  I have a batch of "improved" Hornby tank wagons with all the data panels and star transfers done and I was just about to go and use some Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish (which keeps separating I've noticed) to seal them.  It's a water-soluble varnish so would have thought it's OK.  All the transfers are Fox and Modelmaster.

Beware of Humbrol Matt Varnish. I have had all sorts of problems with it drying opaque so I never use it now. My approach to Modelmaster transfers is to apply them on a gloss surface - generally obtained from Halfords gloss car paints. I then seal them with Testor's dullcote directly over the transfers. This is superb stuff which never causes me any problems. One coat leaves the surface satin, a second coat will turn it matt.

On less gloss surfaces or if I have any silvering a light coat of Microscale Liquid decal Film gets under the transfer and holds it in place as well as removing any silvering. I use this routinely on CCT transfers as I think John put me onto it originally (correct me if I'm wrong John).

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It looks fantastic progress, Mike.

Thanks for showing us. 

I know David would like me back for more photography (no criticism of yours), and the RM is interested in a further piece on this epic layout; the largest prototype-based 4mm layout ever built?). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Not mine, they are David's photos from February, I've not been back since last May.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I wasn't aware that Humbrol did a water-based varnish - I was referring to solvent-based Humbrol varnish.

The techniques that I described apply to my own productions, Cambridge Custom Transfers; they may well not be necessary for transfers produced by others.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Thanks Tony for the photos of Carlisle, it just made me think (dangerous) obviously I don’t know the owner but the sheer size of the layout , how many operators does he need to see it running as you would expect it to see at that location? On your brilliant layout I know you like to have guests round to run the sequence but if you are alone I would think you can just find your spot to watch the trains go by, which is my other thought for the Carlisle layout just where would you stand to operate it if you were alone ?  Or is it like miniature wonderland in Hamburg and has a massive computer running it ?

Back to the soldering iron ,

Dennis 

2 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Evening All

Thanks Tony for the photos of Carlisle, it just made me think (dangerous) obviously I don’t know the owner but the sheer size of the layout , how many operators does he need to see it running as you would expect it to see at that location? On your brilliant layout I know you like to have guests round to run the sequence but if you are alone I would think you can just find your spot to watch the trains go by, which is my other thought for the Carlisle layout just where would you stand to operate it if you were alone ?  Or is it like miniature wonderland in Hamburg and has a massive computer running it ?

Back to the soldering iron ,

Dennis 

Mike Edge is the guy to ask your questions of, Dennis,

Carlisle is DCC-operated, so I avoid the tablets like the plague. There are several signal boxes (as there were on the prototype), though how many operators would be required to run the whole thing, I don't know. 

As for operating LB, I rarely, if ever, operate it by myself (though it's possible). Ideally, four operators are required (though it's frequently run with two/three). The positions are Up driver, Down driver, signalman (who also manages the cassettes) and fiddle yard operator (my usual role). A fifth could run the MR/M&GNR, and there is a (sort of) sequence for that. I'll post pictures of that tomorrow.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

Hi to Tony and everyone else,

As someone who doesn't contribute anything much, especially modelling, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your projects, reading about them really is an important part of the day for me. It really does make me feel a part of something positive and constructive.

The last bit of modelling I did was when I was Hinckley Signalman (not signalwoman or signaller please!!) with a T3 possession on and very few trains to have to deal with, I built a 4mm model of the Hinckley pway cabin, simply as it was outside my windows and easily accessible. PTS rules were not as stringent then and signalmen were allowed trackside access. It was nothing architecturally to get excited about as it was a modern portakabin.  I wasn't keen on the models around at the time as they were 3.5mm/ft and really did look too small.  I thought that it was something that I could manage so i measured it up and had a go.That was in 1990 and I still have the model which I would like to tidy up and titivate. I may post a photo of how it is and see what people thing/ suggest needs to be done. One positive thing is it is still square and has warped (unlike me..)

My main reason for droning on is to thank all of you on here for keeping me less mad than I usually am. I have socially isolated since about 1978 and I am feeling hemmed in by things at the moment. I really feel for those who are sociable and feel restricted at present.

We do have 'Wright Writes' though which is a breath of fresh air. No pompousness or 'look at me' just plain simple friendly and informative conversation about things that are interesting and that you didn't know about. I have learnt about valve gear and how it works, constructing buildings by the maestro himself Grahame, I am learning about LNER locos ( the only ones I really have knowledge of are the electrics and the ex Met tanks) and the fact that there are large variations within each class. I enjoy the honesty of posters, the fact that our glorious teacher Mr W has principles and a modelling philosophy which underpins everything that he does. To coin a phrase my late gran used "I know what I like." 

I like the approach to getting things right and helping others to do so too. It is all about sharing knowledge and improving ourselves. I also like the sometimes opinionated views of some, something that I have very many of myself. As an ex-signalman things like point rodding are of great interest and I'm glad that correct and accurate signalling and equipment is deemed as important as the locos and stock. Would it be possible to have some closer pics of the rodding and things like cranks and compensators please? I have always said that you can't beat a good rodding...

What is also great is the photos that people kindly share. As we are currently not able to visit our usual shows it has been great to see what people are up to. As operating and train working appeals to me (plus I am a nosey cow), the series of pics that Tony posted about the operation of LB are of great interest.  Layout operation is something that interests me greatly and is often a much ignored item. One of my bizarre habits is photographing entire sequence cards etc as I like to get a feel for how the required info to run the layout is conveyed to the operator, and indeed the public.  One of the important features of Tony's LB sequence of photos is that he explains what the train is and what it is doing. It then stops being just a random loco and stock passing through just for the hell of it.

I shall stop rabbiting on and apologise for the length of my post, but please continue to post all of you, it is great to be able to share with you.

Keep safe.

Natalie 

x

What an uplifting, heartfelt post.

There is no need to apologise, Natalie. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sdmjsmith said:

With the recent discussions regarding Robinson O4s, I thought I’d share my rendition of O4/7 63770 in the mid 60s, as it leaves the – modeling - paint shop this morning on its way to coaling, crewing and lamping(!). 

969484094_O4763770.JPG.a93ebffb9041860ab2daba6fa63f62fa.JPG

It is a Bill Bedford boiler and cab on a Bachmann O4 with a new reversing rod and Alan Gibson bogey wheels.

I chose 63770 as it was one of the last examples at Colwick and I found an online colour image of it heading through Nottingham Victoria in July 64.  I really need to do some more weathering on the model as I can still make out the emblem on the tender!

Keep safe and keep modeling!

Matthew

Well done Mathew, looks great and weathered superbly. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1