Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I see that the muck has been rubbed off the cabside number on 63824 - common practice but mostly unnoticed or ignored.

There's a story on the Annesley Fireman website, told by the author, who on his first day as a cleaner there was given that very task. Apparently they'd not had a cleaner in some time and that was the best thing the foreman could get him to do.

Certainly helped us trainspotters along the line!

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, dibateg said:

63770 seems to be a popular engine, and indeed the most photographed of the 04/7s Allen Hammett built me this one a few years ago, but I'm now thinking the numbers are too small - Allen has a habit of doing that! I didn't have the heart to weather the cab interior... They always look best in gloriously filthy condition.

63770.JPG.77167000ee9f1ca777d91b411ccaf051.JPG

As well as 04/8 63639, combined from a Gladiator kit and DMR B1 etchings.

63639.JPG.024f86a4f05ff359e89dd5302e5bbc2a.JPG

I'm currently working on an O1 for myself, something I never though would be available as kit in 7mm - or as ready to run in 4mm for that matter.

P1050432.JPG.28909660c0f1ee1e8f8996b21e6d0bba.JPG

Apologies for the indulgence - but 2-8-0s rule!

Regards

Tony

2-8-0s and 2-10-0s rule for many of us around the Nottingham area in our childhood.

63770 and others were discussed some time ago on this very thread, I put in a photo of my version of said loco at the time. 

Just looked up the photo on my phone, taken in November last year.

Without wishing to be critical of such superb models from experts, they're all far too clean!

Tony,

did our Yorkshire Friend not win best in show at the O Gauge Guilds,  Guildex show in about 2012 with that  04/8 63639, combined from a Gladiator kit and DMR B1 etchings.  If not Best he was  second for certain.. My Gazettes are not handy,so I can't check without phoning a friend. Lovely pair of Loco's as is the David Andrews O1. By the way you really had me scratching my head about the Tower J39.I thought you were saying only 64955 pulled a 4200 Group standard Tender,but then the Penny dropped. Allthe models they produced were fitted with such a tender and amongst them in real life was 2F Woodford Halse's 64955.

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
Mention of J39.

• RMweb Premium

tbsl2.jpg.df15adfb45e60f7cc0f437b3f6dd3017.jpg

Other side

one motor coach and part of the other

dms.jpg.d0a45edb6e7a9b918af55d6ef9784c9d.jpg

Ignoring the home made stuff (bogie side frames, seats, roof domes), guess the other suppliers.

• Like 11

I love seeing all the 2-8-0s. What they hauled probably earnt the LNER a high proportion of its income in the southern area.

I'll probably end up with 12 or more LNER 2-8-0s on my medium sized layout (22.5 x 17ft).

Just a comment to those modifying Bachmann O4s or WR/GWR RODs. It's well worth modifying the top of the cylinders so they sit higher up and the piston rod lines up with the centre of the driven axle. Also the pony wheel needs to be brought further back by modifying the pony truck. Graeme King and I wrote all this and more up in two articles in the GCRS journal Forward about 10 years ago.

In regard to the incorrect footplate shape on the Bachmann O4 models I would recommend following the recent advice of Headstock. I'll be doing that for the first Bachmann O4 I did based on the original model.

Also for anyone making an O4/8 Graeme King makes a nice taller chimney and the correct dome as well.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Woodcock29 said:

I love seeing all the 2-8-0s. What they hauled probably earnt the LNER a high proportion of its income in the southern area.

I'll probably end up with 12 or more LNER 2-8-0s on my medium sized layout (22.5 x 17ft).

Just a comment to those modifying Bachmann O4s or WR/GWR RODs. It's well worth modifying the top of the cylinders so they sit higher up and the piston rod lines up with the centre of the driven axle. Also the pony wheel needs to be brought further back by modifying the pony truck. Graeme King and I wrote all this and more up in two articles in the GCRS journal Forward about 10 years ago.

In regard to the incorrect footplate shape on the Bachmann O4 models I would recommend following the recent advice of Headstock. I'll be doing that for the first Bachmann O4 I did based on the original model.

Also for anyone making an O4/8 Graeme King makes a nice taller chimney and the correct dome as well.

Andrew

I do like the 28xx

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I wonder if anyone has tried modelling the bend that the O4’s seem to have at the end of their lives. 

Jesse

It should be quite easy on a kit with a whitemetal footplate.

Andrew

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, dibateg said:

63770 seems to be a popular engine, and indeed the most photographed of the 04/7s Allen Hammett built me this one a few years ago, but I'm now thinking the numbers are too small - Allen has a habit of doing that! I didn't have the heart to weather the cab interior... They always look best in gloriously filthy condition.

63770.JPG.77167000ee9f1ca777d91b411ccaf051.JPG

As well as 04/8 63639, combined from a Gladiator kit and DMR B1 etchings.

63639.JPG.024f86a4f05ff359e89dd5302e5bbc2a.JPG

I'm currently working on an O1 for myself, something I never though would be available as kit in 7mm - or as ready to run in 4mm for that matter.

P1050432.JPG.28909660c0f1ee1e8f8996b21e6d0bba.JPG

Apologies for the indulgence - but 2-8-0s rule!

Regards

Tony

Indulge away, please Tony.

What beautiful models!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Jesse, here is a bent RoD, Hull Springhead, c1930.

ROD .jpg

Mazak rot? :D

Seriously, though, that looks as though she's run into something pretty solid - buffer stops, perhaps?

Mark

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

It should be quite easy on a kit with a whitemetal footplate.

Andrew

I wouldn't like to try that with white metal which tends to break but a brass kit could be modified without any problem.  I once did it unintentionally with a Midland 3P that took a nose dive of a fiddle yard board.  I should have fitted it with air brakes.

Jamie

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

A follow up to the GAM Silver Jubilee coach conversion on page 1740.

The Coronation coaches have been coverted in much the same way via pin point bearings / shim washers and new wheel sets plus stand off spacers used to attach the bogies.

DSC05092.JPG.1e8a4c78b819eba35eba7f8945f03403.JPG

So, now up to 9 coaches without slip. Please forgive the A4 (wrong period and loco). The Mallard wouldn't show any sign of life when put on track (another job!).

I'm planning to detail the method used in a separate topic.

Well done Tony for getting stuck into that rodding.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

O4/8 a conversion of the Bachmann O4 using a Bachmann B1 Cab, added detail to the Tender  etc . The excellent Hornby O1 with a bit of weathering applied.

post-7186-0-07014700-1351504082_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-63011300-1351504100.jpgpost-7186-0-37365500-1376240622.jpgpost-7186-0-18075400-1376340327.jpg

I have a Bachmann GWR ROD body in the pile, is there a article anywhere of using it to update the LNER O4 please ??

Edited by micklner
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I used words like imbecile, moron, idiot and retard. Would it be incorrect to use such adjectives to describe those who flout the current rules? Those who put lives at risk through their 'me first' attitude. (Perhaps the moderators will make a judgement).

Absolutely, disgraceful, shouldn't be allowed.

Such words to describe the current total ******* brainless ********* would be completely inappropriate.

You can now all have fun trying to work out what options are available for converting all those * into real words.

Edited by polybear
Mis-spelt the second word and had to add another * :)
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Absolutely, disgraceful, shouldn't be allowed.

Such words to describe the current total ******* brainless ********* would be completely inappropriate.

You can now all have fun trying to work out what options are available for converting all those * into real words.

I think the word "retard" has now rightly fallen out of normal usage but I understand the sentiment.  My neighbours decided this afternoon to have a BBQ with music turned up (and swearing louder accordingly) and relatives invited round.  It rather ended the peaceful afternoon's modelling in the garden I had planned.

• Friendly/supportive 8