Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

All the point rodding you Guys are doing is just fantastic.  I keep thinking about it and then I think again.  Now I think (I do a lot of thinking) I have come up with a solution.   Grimsby, which my station is based on, had electrically heated points round about 1956/57.   So it is highly probable, at least in my mind, that they also had electrically powered points for the main routes.   Much easier to put dummy point motors in and I think the one DCC Concepts sell was in service as early as early as 1948. 

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Thank you, Tony!  I quite agree.  I started building this layout over 20 years ago (I don't rush into things!) and if I was to start now I wouldn't start from here!

Thanks Steve,

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, even slightly hypocritical. 

I had the 'man of wisdom' build by scenic-side trackwork.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

All the point rodding you Guys are doing is just fantastic.  I keep thinking about it and then I think again.  Now I think (I do a lot of thinking) I have come up with a solution.   Grimsby, which my station is based on, had electrically heated points round about 1956/57.   So it is highly probable, at least in my mind, that they also had electrically powered points for the main routes.   Much easier to put dummy point motors in and I think the one DCC Concepts sell was in service as early as early as 1948. 

Someone is bound to have a picture........

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Despite my stumbling from one mini crisis to another at the moment, I did mange to fit the centre wheels to my BZ. I also fitted the door furniture and end details. The roof is just sitting in place at the moment, however, its interior bracing has been fitted to give it shape. The roof details, such as lights, vents and cornice are still to add.

The main modifications are with regard to electric lighting, the cutting away of the steps for battery boxes and the dynamo, unusually, this is mounted on the other side with the dynamo mounted inwards. Other alterations include the LNER type grab handles fitted to the guard's door. I'm determined to stay in now and model for Britain.

NER BZ progress.jpg

There's not so much as a speck of solder visible anywhere.  You must've superglued it together - that's cheating.  I'm telling sir.

.....S-I-R......Andrew's been using superglue again.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Having taken more 'broad-sweep' shots of LB of late, I thought why not one or two 'more-intimate' pictures?

1916782206_coalwagon.jpg.1fab5006f73b93ad376998c18ba2c8d2.jpg

This coal wagon used to reside at the end of a siding on John Houlden's East Ranford, complete with a guy shovelling out the fuel. 

This is just how it was done at Little Bytham.

forecourt.jpg.57e497c4bbd7217ea91bc4e64ee20b4b.jpg

The station forecourt, with Geoff West's little porter still sweeping away.

The ancient taxi has seen better days. It, the Riley and the BR van are all built from white metal kits; by whom, I have no idea. 

Ian Wilson's station building is in better condition than the real thing! 

porter.jpg.c0b9200453737c1861234fdc18ade310.jpg

Another of Geoff West's wee porters ponders on how to load a barrel into a van. Judging by its size, he'll need help!

82108072_shunter01.jpg.2ea1ae1c2c3f936c560e8c0a87718309.jpg

1545890461_shunter02.jpg.a43428bcc8aaf6d109b89fd7a9c79767.jpg

PMP's little shunter ponders on the mysteries of Sprat & Winkle couplings. He must have figured them out, because he's managed to switch the vans around! 

Willoughby.jpg.f5df1bb342d4b4ec1923e1e85ee03b89.jpg

Something all pubs are short of at the moment; guests.

Eric Kidd's little couple ponder what to do with their day as a van pulls up to deliver some provisions. The van was built for me by elder son Tom, as a Christmas present. 

Bob Dawson's Willoughby Arms is always admired. 

Many thanks for all the pictures and comments of late. Please keep them coming! 

Hi Tony,

I am looking forward to another visit to LB and pint in that very pub.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

There's not so much as a speck of solder visible anywhere.  You must've superglued it together - that's cheating.  I'm telling sir.

.....S-I-R......Andrew's been using superglue again.....

I was a bit over zealous with the cleaning up the handrails, I've reattached them about five times but at least I now know that they are firmly attached. I can still see lots of blobby bits that need cleaning up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Atso said:

Hello all,

I've been slowly making progress on my Cambridge Buffet set.

The whole set, with a Dapol Third standing in for the unstarted ex-GN 61'6" Composite (middle carriage in the set).

Still plenty to do, but I'm pleased with how they are turning out. 

What the world needs, or at least my bit of it, are some 4 mm versions. I'm sure I could stich the two parts together at the edge of a door if the printer lacks length capacity.

Hi Tony,

When a previous post appears in your reply box you should also be presented with an option to "Clear Editor".  Click and banish.

Hint.jpg.d0fc96ec35dc4de4a3b079eda7d83d54.jpg

In respect of generating a PM, click on the person's avatar and then in their profile you will find the familiar envelope located in at the top of their profile section in the middle.

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Tony,

thank you for the kind comments and the photos and to you to Mike for the Box photo, I remember this model had an unusual slate roof arrangement but perhaps it was typical for the Maryport & Carlisle.

Little Bytham, looking impressive and point rodding, once started there is no turning back with this element of detailing.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Have pictures of your Grimsby layout appeared on here at all, or elsewhere please? If not, could you treat us to a few glimpses?

I can't help think it would have been fun if you'd had yourself scanned in shorts, anorak and satchel to represent yourself reliving your spotting days Tony :)

On a more serious note, I used to paint ho/oo airfix soldiers as a hobby and even with young eyes it was a difficult job. The painting of your 'snappily dressed guy' is as good as I've ever seen.

Graeme 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

I can't help think it would have been fun if you'd had yourself scanned in shorts, anorak and satchel to represent yourself reliving your spotting days Tony :)

On a more serious note, I used to paint ho/oo airfix soldiers as a hobby and even with young eyes it was a difficult job. The painting of your 'snappily dressed guy' is as good as I've ever seen.

Graeme 

Thanks Graeme,

The painting of (all) the figures is very well done. They're observed with great subtlety and most are inactive. 

Too many layouts (in my opinion) have characters who look more like cartoons, with grossly over-exaggerated  features, indulging in all too-vigorous activities; brawls, sports, parades and so on. When I used to play cricket at Claypole, bowling from the 'railway' end, one had to wait until trains had passed. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Headstock said:

What the world needs, or at least my bit of it, are some 4 mm versions. I'm sure I could stich the two parts together at the edge of a door if the printer lacks length capacity.

Isn’t that what Isinglass are doing? Admittedly only a few diagrams so far, but he’s getting there.

Andy

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Isn’t that what Isinglass are doing? Admittedly only a few diagrams so far, but he’s getting there.

Andy

Evening Andy,

good question.

Isinglass are not producing anything that I am interested in. They are producing some popular stuff granted, but stuff were there is often an excellent option already available in brass. On the other hand, GNR stock is currently as rare as hens teeth in brass or any other media and is an essential component of both yours and my modelling interests. I would add that Atso's work is of a very high quality, he obviously has a great deal of understanding of GNR/LNER carriages. It is a great achievement, many manufactures have come a grief, aesthetically if not financially, trying to produce these types of carriages over the years.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Evening Andy,

good question.

Isinglass are not producing anything that I am interested in. They are producing some popular stuff granted, but stuff were there is often an excellent option already available in brass. On the other hand, GNR stock is currently as rare as hens teeth in brass or any other media and is an essential component of both yours and my modelling interests. I would add that Atso's work is of a very high quality, he obviously has a great deal of understanding of GNR/LNER carriages. It is a great achievement, many manufactures have come a grief, aesthetically if not financially, trying to produce these types of carriages over the years.

Good evening Andrew,

I think it's Andy Edgson's plan to expand the 3D-printed range to embrace older carriages as time and resources permit. 

I'm sure his dad drew many GN carriages. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

I think it's Andy Edgson's plan to expand the 3D-printed range to embrace older carriages as time and resources permit. 

I'm sure his dad drew many GN carriages. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

Indeed, he did. Though the GN 56'6'' BGs (that were cascaded to the GC section and operated until the 60s) are not in the Isinglass catalogue.

I believe that a number of people on RM web have ordered kits. I'm looking forwards to the results of these builds being published in order to get a feel for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1