Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Problem solved. I just scratched lightly with my finger nail and the transfers came off, one whole which I reused, the others I replaced.

Class120_180.jpg

Letting them dry before re-sealing. They left a the slightest of marks where I lifted them on a couple of windows, but since the new transfer goes in the same place it doesn’t show.

What is both annoying and a relief, is that on the first unit I put the transfers on the right way up.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

The south portal of Bradway Tunnel is pretty inaccessible, whereas a road ran next to the north portal on the east side. Can't find a photo though. It was rural then but built up now.

The trouble as I see it is that the NorthPortal has a track running accross the top and buildings to the rhs of the entrance, so wouldn't work for the tunnel entrance in the film. Map from 1898.909953100_brad.northportal.jpg.2bb605fe25747faa55baccf0e3d7e558.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lecorbusier said:

The trouble as I see it is that the NorthPortal has a track running accross the top and buildings to the rhs of the entrance, so wouldn't work for the tunnel entrance in the film. Map from 1898.909953100_brad.northportal.jpg.2bb605fe25747faa55baccf0e3d7e558.jpg

Yes, I agree though the cutting is very, very deep, so the road could well be behind the wall in the film and the buildings are slightly back from the edge of the cutting so they might not be visible from the angle of the camera. Looking at a recent OS map the contours suggest a similar topography  to the film whereas the south portal goes under a really tall hill.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Even the current view from the A61 suggests that's a possible.  I'm still stumped on the station at the end though, I'd forgotten the track curved from Monsal Dale onto the viaduct that much (and the wooden platforms).

Rob

Edit: I think the station may be Esholt, on the Shipley to Ilkley line.  The train is approaching from Ilkley.

Esholt looks like a strong possibility. See this postcard on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pt1384-Esholt-Railway-Station-Yorkshire-photograph-6x4/293524033280?pageci=55e9b312-6c55-4c65-88fc-7e31cc8ebee1

I can't find a photo of Esholt Tunnel west portal though.

East portal here: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3369158

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Esholt looks like a strong possibility. See this postcard on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pt1384-Esholt-Railway-Station-Yorkshire-photograph-6x4/293524033280?pageci=55e9b312-6c55-4c65-88fc-7e31cc8ebee1

I can't find a photo of Esholt Tunnel west portal though.

East portal here: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3369158

Simon

Esholt looks pretty convincing to me :good_mini:

• Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:13, St Enodoc said:

My aforementioned friend (who built Stafford) always used to recommend, when moving home, to search for a suitable railway room with house attached.

Of course. Is there any other reason to choose a house?

I'm always surprised and saddened by how many otherwise quite sensible people live in houses that do not contain a railway.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I agree this looks like Esholt but the first picture does not align to the picture of Esholt East portal since there is no wing wall.

Apart from film continuity (bad at best) there is no reason why the entry and exit tunnel mouths need be connected in reality,

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I agree this looks like Esholt but the first picture does not align to the picture of Esholt East portal since there is no wing wall.

Apart from film continuity (bad at best) there is no reason why the entry and exit tunnel mouths need be connected in reality,

The trains are demonstrably different ... which when coupled to Compound's link to the Bamforth entry in "Visual Delights Two" suggesting the films of the trains were earlier and by Riley not Bamforth ....could lead to the conclusion that continuity was not integral to the composition. I think it is fine to assume that we could well be looking at two differrent tunnels as well as two different trains.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I should have been clearer. If they are both Esholt then the train would be leaving the west portal (which I can't find a photo of). I supplied a link to the East portal photo to show a similarity in style and as the best I could do without local reference books.

Simon 

Edited by 65179

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Fascinated by the Midland Railway tunnel conundrum. Not sure it's on the Peak line at all. Will keep researching.

Meanwhile, here is my Covid work achieved so far:

DSC09758_LR.jpg.64a05eb4a8d9ccc1b4cd54dc5b5c71de.jpg

Work on making the connecting lines to the Shap Bank scene on my Carlisle scheme...

DSC09746_LR.JPG.561e57cb5df1691ade6189ac24c76f56.JPG

Test build for the G-Train B7 kit ...

DSC09761.JPG.d90a9d7073a8eff8c919b2e81709996f.JPG

Commission build of a GNR 218DD twin ...

DSC09763.JPG.c6d325c5e5de59ecb03db21fd40efb21.JPG

Undergubbins installed on middle coaches for Grantham's GNR Quint set.

And, with the lockdown set to continue for a few weeks yet, I'm going to have a crack at a start-to-finish Covid project, hopefully as a permanent reminder to look back on when all this is over:

IMG_2897.jpg.bf68cabc04a09453e45701d0948213f9.jpg

This kit has been in the build pile for more than five years now. I have got everything I need to make it, wheels, motor/gears, etc so I'll be making a start later and reporting progress on the Grantham thread. My previous 'record' for making up a loco kit is five weeks (a DJH Std 5MT) so I'm hoping that I can beat that.

You've been very busy Graham,

Great progress.

Regarding the LRM D2, that's the same kit I built for Mark Allatt (or was that a D3?), which runs on Grantham. You will have absolutely no trouble in building it. It's an example (and a very good one) of what an etched-brass kit should be. All the bits fit; perfectly!

Five weeks? It took me less than five days! That included taking step-by-step pictures of its construction, which is described in my Crowood book (should anyone be interested). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I should have been clearer. If they are both Esholt then the train would be leaving the west portal (which I can't find a photo of). I supplied a link to the East portal photo to show a similarity in style and as the best I could do without local reference books.

Simon 

I think there is a strong case that the west portal/viaduct/station in the film is that at Eshalt ...1528578178_Eshaltplan.jpg.e4c3c4b8c34867e44d78834f9aa4ed2f.jpgEshalt.jpg.49827569ca968275ba75e7829ca7008a.jpg530586762_tunnelindistance.jpg.35fac31742463c953ac526ee1351ddaf.jpg

The entry Portal on the film (we don't know if east or west) is not Eshalt East Portal from the evidence of the photos .... nor is it the west portal with the train travelling away from the station if the topography present in the film clips are to believed..

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

I agree ... I can't help feeling it might be somewhere else entirely ... ie not the sheffield/peakdistrict lines at all.

Are there any clues in the background of the people filming it? Long distance travel was not common and lugging camera gear about wasn't easy so many early films were made "just up the road" from their base.

I don't get heavily involved in looking into such things unless they are of direct interest to me and I only mentioned Dore and Totley as I am a bit surprised that MR experts are struggling so I wondered if it was a station that has changed beyond recognition, as Dore has. There can't be that many stations where there is a two platform station, with a bridge just off the end of the platform, a straight run then a LH turn into a tunnel!

If I was that bothered, I think I would be following some lines on "Google Earth" to find that combination. There is no guarantee that all three shots, the tunnel in, tunnel out and station, are anywhere near each other but because of the factors I mentioned, I would suggest that they would be quite close together, even if not in the order shown in the finished film.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

I think there is a strong case that the west portal/viaduct/station in the film is that at Eshalt ...1528578178_Eshaltplan.jpg.e4c3c4b8c34867e44d78834f9aa4ed2f.jpgEshalt.jpg.49827569ca968275ba75e7829ca7008a.jpg530586762_tunnelindistance.jpg.35fac31742463c953ac526ee1351ddaf.jpg

The entry Portal on the film (we don't know if east or west) is not Eshalt East Portal from the evidence of the photos .... nor is it the west portal with the train travelling away from the station if the topography present in the film clips are to believed..

Good call! I would be happy with Esholt as the station. Just need to find the tunnel portals now.......

There is a suggestion here that the film is topped and tailed with a phantom train ride filmed by Cecil Hepworth which was filmed on the LSWR at Shillamill Tunnel. Hepworth made his own film View from an Engine.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-view-from-an-engine-front-train-leaving-tunnel-1899-online

Edit: Apologies guys, I’ve been watching a completely different version of the same film.....:D

Seems the second film came from Bamforth based in Holmfirth. Does this provide any clues....

The tunnel is possibly between Huddersfield and Thongsbridge, Holmfirth.

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/kiss-tunnel

Edited by gordon s

It’s probably not that relevant to this conversation but it mentioned that Bamforths are credited to the film footage.

Bamforths had many photos of the LYR and surrounding area, especially at Holmfirth but I was told there was a fire and all the negatives, photos were destroyed, perhaps film footage also.

can anyone confirm this to be true.

Peter

11 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Rats!

Good job it have a few left. Thank you for letting me know.

I guess that open up the topic, what will removes a 'Klear/Pledge' fixed transfer from a clear window?

Off to try some white spirit.

Jamie

The recommended remover for Klear was (is?) a solution of household ammonia.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The recommended remover for Klear was (is?) a solution of household ammonia.

Quite right.  I use ammonia solution from my local hardware store to clean my airbrushes (definitely outdoors!) after using Klear, too.  I've heard that the blue liquid Windolene is just as good for removing Klear from airbrushes, but I've no personal experience of that, nor possibility of using it to remove Klear from models - might be worth trying it out on a bit of scrap plastic or painted surface sometime.

Pete T.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Here's another progress update, if that's okay and of interest.

I've started on extending the warehouse building that is just behind the railway viaduct that I'd previously made a partial section of (the left hand end). As usual it's compressed and simplified so is only roughly representative, but hopefully redolent of, the actual building that can be seen here in a current view: 

Grahame - I think this may be building, or the next one in the "country" direction, that the London Bridge Upgrade project team re-housed all the residents of during the most disruptive/noisy three months, paying to put them up in hotels for the duration.  It was during this period that it was spotted that some flats appeared to be still occupied; apparently the residents had advertised them on AirBnB........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

I've got some more blocks of colour on but there's little I can do now until the window glazing arrives - which I've now ordered - apart from some roof details and the ground floor. So I've taken a pic with the next section modelled from the more appropriate era for m layout rather than the samey modern apartments and buildings in the screenshot pic above. 

DSC_9529.JPG.b764b7e6983c4f5fa742c2b9d53877b5.JPG

• Like 11