Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes Trevor, I do use the Bachmann pipes but I'm not too happy with them as they sometimes have a tendency to flex a bit or even pull out. In due course I'll probably replace them, either with Roco-style couplers or with solid bars.

I have settled on Kadee couplers for use within my coach rakes, but with the tails removed.  I find them reliable, unobtrusive and critically they still allow individual coaches to be simply lifted in or out of rakes in the fiddle yard as required.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I am not 100% sure about the cab roof on the model. It looks a little wide to me with too much overhang but it isn't a class I have studied in any depth and I may well be wrong.

If it is the cab roof from the Little Engines kit that could well be the case as the engines which retained the decorative valencing also retained the original narrower cab, whereas the ones with rebuilt foot plating were also given a wider cab, similar to a B12/3.  See difference between cab front and rear splashers (or lack of in this case).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

I have settled on Kadee couplers for use within my coach rakes, but with the tails removed.  I find them reliable, unobtrusive and critically they still allow individual coaches to be simply lifted in or out of rakes in the fiddle yard as required.  

Phil, with Bachmann Mk1s or other coaches with a cam-operated close-coupling system you need a rigid connection between the coaches, otherwise the cam mechanism doesn't work properly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

a further mm might well have caused problems with clearances inside the splashers.

I've always used Romford wheels one size smaller than scale for exactly that reason. Prototype wheels would vary by at least that anyway between new and scrapping diameters.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

If it is the cab roof from the Little Engines kit that could well be the case as the engines which retained the decorative valencing also retained the original narrower cab, whereas the ones with rebuilt foot plating were also given a wider cab, similar to a B12/3.  See difference between cab front and rear splashers (or lack of in this case).

That would account for it. It isn't easy to tell when model photos and prototype photos are not from the same angle. 

• Moderators

Forgive me intruding please but I am dropping by selected topics where I know readers don't venture much outside from to highlight that we have started a major fundraiser for NHS Charities Together as part of our Virtual Members' day on Sunday. We have now raised a little under £3,000 in under 24 hours so there's a lot of support from the membership and the trade for the initiative.

The Virtual Exhibition will take place on Sunday with a wide array of excellent layouts and projects. Tony, you are of course welcome to participate and make it Little Bytham's first exhibition outing, albeit in virtual form. It saves petrol at least.

The details can be found from clicking the link in my signature below.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, dibateg said:

Jamie - JLTRT 4F - the screws are steel, I think they are 14BA. I get mine from BA bolts:-

https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/

The loco is set in gear, which is obviously set by the position of the weighshaft. You can just about see the valve spindles move when the loco is in motion...

DSCF3865.JPG.2f68c6166b6604cb48b4405531cb0cd4.JPG

That is a very nice model. Top work. It just has the right feel to it. 

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Phil, with Bachmann Mk1s or other coaches with a cam-operated close-coupling system you need a rigid connection between the coaches, otherwise the cam mechanism doesn't work properly.

Interesting, I have several rakes of Bachmann Mk1’s and their Thompson coaches fitted with Kadees and haven’t experienced any problems.  The gaps between the coaches still open up on the curves then close back up together on straight track as intended.  But they are still relatively new, maybe problems develop with heavy use?

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/04/2020 at 19:38, Tony Wright said:

Well, the D16/3 is finished........................

597348712_D16318.jpg.c1ae411f84949abaa381191624310eb8.jpg

Al in all about 20 hours' work, spread over three non-consecutive days (though the frames were made last week). 

The pile of kits left to build is still substantial!

Oh that I had seven hours in a day to do nothing else than build a kit!!

DSC09789.JPG.dcf8aa0322173526a88ca8a5812d7592.JPG

Nonetheless, I have started as I mean to go on, as indicated a few nights ago. This the result of 4 consecutive days of 1-2 hour, late night sessions(!)

I'm going to try and do a bit each day. Full story on the Grantham thread but I'll keep popping back here with progress.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

B1's being dismembered at Central Wagon Ince Wigan

gijm3q61.jpg

....and that material hanging over the running plate is almost certainly white asbestos matting.

What price Health and Safety then ?!?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

Regarding coaches I am very much a novice in terms or replicating actual train formations but try to run something that looks right.  Last night I watched an ECML video from about 1958 to as late as 1965 and what a mixture of coaches, even on what appeared to be Top Link trains.  There was even one picture of a Pullman set with a Mk1 Restaurant Car (May have got the exact type wrong) in maroon . 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

....and that material hanging over the running plate is almost certainly white asbestos matting.

What price Health and Safety then ?!?

John Isherwood.

I can recall similar scenes at Cashmore's in Newport with Bulleid pacifics and Maunsell moguls being cut up.  Brutal, but Ward's next door were restoring 6000...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am feeling very mellow and have no harsh words on the D9 and D11. At least you have them built, painted and running, which is much more than I have achieved! In that respect, as the late Roy Jackson would say, they are both much better than the ones I haven't done!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've really enjoyed seeing the Clauds, Tony, both complete and in-build.  My Dad bought a part-built Claud some years ago, which I think was a Little Engines model, for something silly like £20.  It's still stashed away somewhere in the hoard but it's good to know I can reference this in future to see how they can go together.  Clauds were his favourite engines from his youth spotting at Norwich Thorpe so even though he's acquired a Hornby one as well now I'd still like to build the kit at some point.  Modelling the GER used to be a real challenge but with N7s, J15s, B17s and B1s easily available RTR now, it's got much easier.  Whether Dad will ever build a layout is debatable though, his round tuit list is even longer than mine.

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've really enjoyed seeing the Clauds, Tony, both complete and in-build.  My Dad bought a part-built Claud some years ago, which I think was a Little Engines model, for something silly like £20.  It's still stashed away somewhere in the hoard but it's good to know I can reference this in future to see how they can go together.  Clauds were his favourite engines from his youth spotting at Norwich Thorpe so even though he's acquired a Hornby one as well now I'd still like to build the kit at some point.  Modelling the GER used to be a real challenge but with N7s, J15s, B17s and B1s easily available RTR now, it's got much easier.  Whether Dad will ever build a layout is debatable though, his round tuit list is even longer than mine.

Thanks Rob,

I think both the Hornby RTR Claud and the Little Engines kit for the same type represent the locos without the decorative valances. 

I chose the Mallard/Blacksmith one (in conjunction with the LE example) because the pretty valances are supplied with it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am feeling very mellow and have no harsh words on the D9 and D11. At least you have them built, painted and running, which is much more than I have achieved! In that respect, as the late Roy Jackson would say, they are both much better than the ones I haven't done!

Thanks Tony,

Your comment reminds me of the numerous occasions when 'observers' (not you, of course) make observations as to this or that, in all areas of the media. It's often along the lines of 'That's not right', or 'I wouldn't have done it like that', or any other point of 'criticism'. If it's at a show, I'll usually respond with statements such as 'Will you show me how it's done?' Or, and this is the best bit, 'May I come round and photograph your work/layout, please?' 

Would it surprise anyone to learn that I've never been greeted with the affirmative answer to either question? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am not aware of any other layout on RM where you might see a D9. It's great to see, even if it might be 'flawed'. More power to your elbow Mr Wright.

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

Your comment reminds me of the numerous occasions when 'observers' (not you, of course) make observations as to this or that, in all areas of the media. It's often along the lines of 'That's not right', or 'I wouldn't have done it like that', or any other point of 'criticism'. If it's at a show, I'll usually respond with statements such as 'Will you show me how it's done?' Or, and this is the best bit, 'May I come round and photograph your work/layout, please?' 

Would it surprise anyone to learn that I've never been greeted with the affirmative answer to either question? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Roy Jackson used to adopt a similar approach. "If you think you can do better, show me." It sent a few away muttering under their breath.

I do have a footplate and the cab sides/splashers of a D9 in a box somewhere. They were for a scratchbuilt loco for the same layout that Malcolm Crawley did the Atlantic and the Pollitt 4-4-0 for, which I have shown on here before. After he died, enthusiasm for the project left me but with the start of a new EM layout, I saw the bits the other day and thought it would be a shame not to carry on and finish it. So maybe, one day, I will be able to show my idea of what one should look like. I am not sure that I will ever have a D11. A bit too modern for me but I do have a set of Mike Edge D10 etches stashed away. Valour is too modern as well but I am applying Rule 1 with no hesitation or second thoughts on that one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

I am not aware of any other layout on RM where you might see a D9. It's great to see, even if it might be 'flawed'. More power to your elbow Mr Wright.

Best wishes,

Alastair M

I think this one may have appeared before...

It is also flawed!

11B.jpg.8210e87c3393cff97477837871d53b87.jpg

• Like 16