Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Not much progress on the J6 in the last couple of days. I've been busy subbing and proof-reading for BRM.

1861547755_SEF-Nu-CastJ603.jpg.3e98550168e83134c9da8f2afd5716fe.jpg

I'd forgotten how much of the loco's dragbox/dragbeam had to be removed before the chassis would fit. And, that the holes in the frame spacers for the fixing screws didn't match those in the castings! 

1189236614_SEF-Nu-CastJ604.jpg.1be6e2a910d957af1ef99955f397dbc1.jpg

I also had to nibble away at the firebox ring on the cab to get a snug fit.

The dummy frames and lubricators were soldered in place at this stage. 

1879117656_SEF-Nu-CastJ605.jpg.0974202b030e7070b63eae791524e347.jpg

A fair bit of solder-filling will be needed underneath the smokebox, mitigated by the eventual fixing of the cylinder ends and the sandboxes. 

The visual gear will no doubt displease some, but the drive is well balanced, if a trifle noisy (the body acting as a sound box). 

A lot of metal needed removing from the insides of the firebox to accommodate the Mashima motor.

960224263_SEF-Nu-CastJ606.jpg.74758503fddb395d99a56a106f6d787d.jpg

On test this afternoon; visually very nice in motion, and not so noisy on the layout. I might try a different gearbox, however.

More progress reports later....... 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I hesitate to post this here as I don’t want to stoke the ‘DCC wars’ again! However, I have experienced exactly the problems that you mention so I thought I’d share my experience in case it’s useful for others.

I believe that DCC is much less tolerant of poor pick ups than DC and this is what causes a lot of the problems like the one you mention above. I have several locos, both RTR and kit built, which work perfectly on DC and turn into stuttering wrecks on DCC. It’s more common with kit built locos but also applies to RTR. Four example, the Hornby  J50 is one example of a RTR loco which works well on DC but horribly on DCC - I have three and all were the same. I cured this by fitting Stayalives, but I don’t understand why it should be necessary. With the stayalives, they run better on DCC than on DC. With kit built locos, I often have to fit tender pick ups or to get acceptable performance on DCC when loco only was OK on DC. I opt for tender pick ups first if practical and a stay alive if not (I’ve never needed both!).

I have no idea why this should be. I suspect some decoders are better than others, but I’ve had problems even with non budget decoders. It is certainly a frustration of DCC - but not sufficient to make me change back! I like my sound too much, and when it works it is silky smooth.

ATB

Andy

I don't mind a bit of 'stoking', Andy,

In reality, I'm not even bothering investigating further why some locos, which perform faultlessly on DC, but, when equipped with a decoder run like crippled creatures. 

As you know, I'll never adopt DCC and I don't think it's a problem with the pick-ups I install (either live- or dead-chassis). 

I've tried my best with some of Gilbert's kit-built locos (those not built by me; apparently, mine run fine), but it's still a 'hostage to fortune' situation with regard to their running. 

Tom Foster hasn't enquired further about the GWR Pannier I built for him. It was fine, until I wrecked its running by fitting a chip! 

Regards,

Tony. 

11 hours ago, dibateg said:

Great to see the selection of O4s.

I think the O1 is a handsome looking engine. I've almost finished Annesley's  63854, made from a David Andrews kit. It doesn't look quite right without being weathered. 

I would never ever build anything with a live chassis, DC or DCC it just opens up too many problems. All my locos pick up from the loco and tender - you can't have too many pick ups. I remember the lads spending an hour completely dismembering a flying pig on Kirkfield Central as it was playing up, it turned out to be the leading van on the train with a brass underframe and a rubbing brake causing a short via the couplings....  As for the American system, I've only ever had trouble with it, the lazy option!

P1050600.JPG.404d3d1be8dcc46da609fea592841ce0.JPG

Engine picking:- some O1 had cinder guards, some not. Maybe the Annesley ones had them fitted for running the Windcutters.

Regards

Tony

A lovely model.

Craftsmanship of the highest order.

Might I ask, are the cabside numbers a bit too small? 

As for pick-ups, you might be pleased to know that all of those you installed on the locos you built which now run on Little Bytham no longer squeak.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony - 

the numbers do seem a bit small, but some of the O1s seemed to have smaller numbers. The next size up seemed a little to large, so yes, I've agonised over that. I've scraped them off on other locos to replace them, only to go back to the original size. Ah well, I'll tone it down with weathering and we'll see. I'm glad to see there are other fans of 2-8-0s, the closest thing to a pacific that I own is a V2!

You'll be glad to know that some of my 7mm locos squeak too, It seems to be nickel silver wire in steel wheel to be the worst, so I tried replacing them with phosphor bronze wire and that squeaks as well...

My locos are all DCC, but they have to run perfectly under DC conditions first before I'll consider fitting a decoder. It was Geoff Taylors Barmouth Junction that converted me, a complex layout that benefitted from the lack of section switches. Part of the sequence had an Ivatt sitting at the station gently hissing away, whilst other movements were taking place and that atmosphere in miniature was wonderful. For Bytham though, there is no practical advantage to running DCC from what I can see, the station layout is relatively simple and the cost and hassle of installing decoders in all your locos would be prohibitive to my mind.

Keep the photos coming - we talked about the colours before, they remind me of 'Eastern Steam in Colour' from a few years ago. Just right!

Best Regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a few O4s as well

image.png.1faf6f80a84ad45478f27d2bd277ac88.png

Little Engines 04/8 built by someone else..I fitted a High Level Gearbox with a Mashima motor, then weathered it.

I do have a Bachmann 04 but it is, for reasons best known to itself, a very high speed locomotive. Now fitted with a dcc chip to calm it down a bit

Bachmann_ROD.JPG.e81b1976662fd6d44490da9f45d6e4c9.JPG

DJH WD. Again built be someone else. I fitted a High Level gearbox and a Mashima motor to this, then weathered it.

image.png.5f1120f4a0e6290e3c6a7476a3c53791.png

The WD is a particular favourite as it is geared to make it pull a big train at about 30mph.

Baz

• Like 14

13 hours ago, dibateg said:

Engine picking:- some O1 had cinder guards, some not. Maybe the Annesley ones had them fitted for running the Windcutters.

Regards

Tony

Evening Tony,

If the Annesley allocation had a gadget, that would be all bar five engines. I could guess....... what is a cinder guard?

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Andrew - Cinder guard = sight screens? I think the hinged glass screen on the cab side has various names....

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I thought it might be something to do the trap in the firebox door.  Sight screen, I've got it. I've had a look through a batch of photographs, it's a bit late to draw any conclusions but there is probably an interesting story there.

They are a bit of a blind spot in my own modelling, I've yet to settle on a way of representing them in a wholly convincing manner that I would find satisfactory.  Sometimes I leave them off of just model the frame without glazing. Modern RTR have them in profusion, but I think they look terrible, like a small grey, semi transparent, plastic box.

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

In reality, I'm not even bothering investigating further why some locos, which perform faultlessly on DC, but, when equipped with a decoder run like crippled creatures. 

As you know, I'll never adopt DCC and I don't think it's a problem with the pick-ups I install (either live- or dead-chassis). 

I've tried my best with some of Gilbert's kit-built locos (those not built by me; apparently, mine run fine), but it's still a 'hostage to fortune' situation with regard to their running. 

Tom Foster hasn't enquired further about the GWR Pannier I built for him. It was fine, until I wrecked its running by fitting a chip! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, the reason is the programing in the chip. This can generally be adjusted by programing such as turning back EMF on/off, and changing the start voltage. The more expensive the chips the better the motor control generally. It is a frustrating situation when the above occurs when you know that the loco runs perfectly on DC, or worse on DCC with a different chip! Only to be upgraded for what ever reason, to run like a over weight 3 legged dog! I have one of these at the moment (Hornby B1) which ran for years with a DCC concepts chip and now with an upgrade to sound with a ESU V4 chip. However I am aware from a good friend of mine, SRman on here,  that there is a quick way to "tune" the chip. (CV 54) I have yet to get around to doing the programing. So as we all say it is another area of interest to some modellers. 

I am also frustrated on a couple of points at the moment with a Highlevel kit 12inch Neilsen for some unknow reason it is overtight generally.... (I think I need to remove and reinstall the horn blocks) 

Both of the above are on the list for this weekend to fix. 

• Like 2

Yes - the cinder guards, I tried modelling them in 4mm scale by drilling holes in the cab side and soldering .3 brass wire and gluing a glazing strip in. Invariably the 'glass' pinged off the first time the loco was handled. So I substituted the glazing with  a fine strip of brass and painted it a vague gunmetal/silver colour. Not perfect by any means but at least there was something there and it was not too obtrusive. A small supplier of 7mm scale fittings produced some very nice cast ones ( I think they were actually made in the US ), like these things do, the range disappeared ( for the second time! ) . Fortunately I had exercised my philosophy of buying stuff when I see it available and bought in a stock of them. In O gauge, things come and go of the market quite quickly. Its an excuse to spend money....

Tony's photo of my K3 shows them

132806804_AnchorageK3.jpg.fa0bcb671e3539be76a786586158a9f0.jpg

Regards

Tony

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

Thanks Tony,

I thought it might be something to do the trap in the firebox door.  Sight screen, I've got it. I've had a look through a batch of photographs, it's a bit late to draw any conclusions but there is probably an interesting story there.

They are a bit of a blind spot in my own modelling, I've yet to settle on a way of representing them in a wholly convincing manner that I would find satisfactory.  Sometimes I leave them off of just model the frame without glazing. Modern RTR have them in profusion, but I think they look terrible, like a small grey, semi transparent, plastic box.

Good morning Andrew,

'Modern RTR have them in profusion,'

And when I take the models fitted with them out of their boxes for photography, a load fall off!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, DougN said:

Tony, the reason is the programing in the chip. This can generally be adjusted by programing such as turning back EMF on/off, and changing the start voltage. The more expensive the chips the better the motor control generally. It is a frustrating situation when the above occurs when you know that the loco runs perfectly on DC, or worse on DCC with a different chip! Only to be upgraded for what ever reason, to run like a over weight 3 legged dog! I have one of these at the moment (Hornby B1) which ran for years with a DCC concepts chip and now with an upgrade to sound with a ESU V4 chip. However I am aware from a good friend of mine, SRman on here,  that there is a quick way to "tune" the chip. (CV 54) I have yet to get around to doing the programing. So as we all say it is another area of interest to some modellers. 

I am also frustrated on a couple of points at the moment with a Highlevel kit 12inch Neilsen for some unknow reason it is overtight generally.... (I think I need to remove and reinstall the horn blocks) 

Good morning Doug,

Programming a chip? Turning the back EMF on or off? Changing the start voltage? Tuning a chip? CVs?

What are these mysteries? 

As with DCC's propaganda, I just have two wires! One goes to one side of a loco's motor, and the other to the opposite side. I turn a knob and off it goes..........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DougN said:

So to get the best out of DCC you need to know which cv settings to alter, how many you need to change, what value to alter several of them to, which varies according to the motor and the decoder.  All presumably by trial and error. Dead simple!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gordon s said:

Found the video I took a month or so ago. Watching it again, it appears there is some minor hesitation from the loco just as it pulls away. This wasn’t present when I was filming it, so must be a function of the file upload to You Tube.

See those new vans made me chuckle as I’m sick of the sight of them......Just spent the last few days weathering 24 of them. Of course it had to be done, but doing them all at once, was not such a great idea as like most continual jobs, progress just got slower and slower....;)

I’ve done the first pass weathering and they look OK, but now I have the detailing to do so that I don’t have 24 identical dirty vans versus 24 identical clean ones...

Graham also built me a lovely O1 from a Little Engines kit, but for some reason fitted the wrong pony wheels. Tony very kindly pointed it out to me, as I wasn’t aware of it at all. The correct ones are here and now awaiting the paint shop this week, so it may make an appearance in a few days.

Youtube framerate converts everything, so upload UK standard and it will be jerky.

I lot of my uploads have the odd jerk.

• Thanks 1