Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Andy,

the thing is, there's lots of space in an A4 to stuff lead, a real K3 could quite easily handle that train (or even22 carriages) without too much bother, could the RTR model?

I found time today to have a play with my K3s and they certainly weren’t as good as the A4, but I think they acquitted themselves quite well. 

The Bachmann K3 is already quite well weighted and there’s no room anywhere for more lead in mine. DC users could make a little more room by removing the decoder socket and hard wiring the engine, but it would not make a huge difference. So I had to test it as it comes, and it couldn’t quite manage my Elizabethan rake (which is pretty heavy). My white metal body on Bachmann chassis version did (just) manage the Elizabethan, but that was about the limit. 

So I decided to see what they could do on a more typical ECML rake. In this case, I used my 1735 KX- Newcastle rake which is 11 cars and includes the all metal Silver Jubilee triplet. This they both managed fine. I then added 4 cars from my (embyonic) Heart of Midlothian rake and this was about the limit for the standard Bachmann example.

(Please excuse the head code - this is just a haulage test!)

15 cars including some heavy ones is a quite creditable performance I think, if not quite matching what the prototype could manage. Clearly a (well built ) white metal kit would manage more, but I think this proves that RTR can manage a long enough train to satisfy 99%+ of all modellers, and even, I would guess, 90%+ of the more discerning kind of modellers found on this thread.

Of course the Bachmann K3 has many other issues aside from its haulage capability which dictate that a kit is probably the way to go for this prototype - the SE Finecast kit is superb.

Andy

• Like 8

On 03/05/2020 at 19:34, Tony Wright said:

I've just had a query from Jonathan Wealleans regarding the LRM J6, one of which he's building. 

804662244_J6tender08.jpg.8485652e357aa0d3f9ee4a9218043519.jpg

1109373850_J6tender09.jpg.2d0664576e959e7969fe83ccb03c16ba.jpg

I think I dropped a few constructional bloopers along the way.............................

Good evening, Tony

Looks you came across one of the issues with the LRM GNR 'horseshoe' tender that I've also just encountered with my D2 build.

I think 'as built' it represents the original GNR configuration. After close perusal of photos at my disposal (RCTS 'green' book plus relevant Loco Illustrated), it looks like the LNER had made modifications to increase capacity, resulting in the front coal plate being further forward. In LNER days, most pics show the toolboxes being retained, but higher up, immediately behind the coal plate. I modified things as shown for my version (as of Saturday night).

DSC09832.JPG.2c9e5bb52a59e66e2e506dc5d67e6c5b.JPG

DSC09833.JPG.167aecf6799b331aac252d7a1fd649e0.JPG

In my research, I came across the following picture showing the GNR tender under restoration that is now with the Stirling Single No.1.

121744191_GNRtender.jpg.7aa6a0b4665b566cc9eeb60941952a2f.jpg

Possibly never a 'horseshoe' tender at all as the water space has either been modified or is a different shape altogether, with the coal opening higher up.

The usual minefield!

9 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Good evening, Tony

Looks you came across one of the issues with the LRM GNR 'horseshoe' tender that I've also just encountered with my D2 build.

I think 'as built' it represents the original GNR configuration. After close perusal of photos at my disposal (RCTS 'green' book plus relevant Loco Illustrated), it looks like the LNER had made modifications to increase capacity, resulting in the front coal plate being further forward. In LNER days, most pics show the toolboxes being retained, but higher up, immediately behind the coal plate. I modified things as shown for my version (as of Saturday night).

DSC09832.JPG.2c9e5bb52a59e66e2e506dc5d67e6c5b.JPG

DSC09833.JPG.167aecf6799b331aac252d7a1fd649e0.JPG

In my research, I came across the following picture showing the GNR tender under restoration that is now with the Stirling Single No.1.

Possibly never a 'horseshoe' tender at all as the water space has either been modified or is a different shape altogether, with the coal opening higher up.

The usual minefield!

GNR tenders are a minefield, Graham,

Most shots I looked at showed the toolboxes gone by BR days (though probably not universally).

Another potential for being 'blown up' are the breather cones for water pick-up. Many of these tenders lost their pick-up gear, but kept the cones. Some had them removed.

I think Malcolm Crawley wrote a book about the GN tenders. Worth getting?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have a question for the assembled masses!

I was having a look through some videos on Youtube and came upon this one. As my friend Vincent Worthington is building some of the buildings shown in the film for his Camden Bank layout, I pointed him at it but we have a query over the date and the livery of one of he locos.

Firstly, the date is likely to be wrong when it says 1950. The signal box which appears wasn't in use then, so it is probably a few years later. So we looked at loco liveries to try to establish a date. At one point, loco 46247 City of Liverpool is featured in a close up of the cab side, which has lining which looks like white/black/white. The continuity is, as usual, dodgy, so the tender and another shot may not be the same loco but that cab view is not in doubt. So what livery is it in? Several books say that loco was never in BR Blue livery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRytH3vAzh0

I could start a thread but I have a deal of respect for those who gather on Wright Writes so I thought I would try here first, if TW doesn't object to the hijack!

The colour footage of the pre-war Duchess of Sutherland in blue (really Coronation with a fake ID!) is worth a look.  

Good evening Tony,

TW is right, the Royal Scot sets were re equipped with a full complement of Mk1's during 1951, including the early mk1 kitchen cars. A little bit of background, at the time of the interchange trials both sets of the Royal Scot were in the post-war LMS livery (I have forgotten if this was referred to as crimson lake or maroon). The Royal scot was chosen to be one of the former LMS trains participating in the 1948 livery experiments, one set was painted chocolate and cream and the other plumb and spilt milk. On the conclusion of the livery trials, porthole stock was introduced to the two formations in the new BR crimson and cream livery. This created a rather colourful if mixed bag of livery combinations. There then followed a transition to the new Mk1 stock in 1951, were the porthole portion remained in the train until eventually replaced by the new Mk1's.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Atso said:

Thanks Andrew,

You're dead right, there is a lot more to successful haulage than just stuffing the loco full of lead - as I almost found out to my cost with this locomotive. Originally, I just tried to get the COG over the driving wheels but this didn't work at all. I then added more weight and ended up with a very nose heavy loco. Unfortunately, the lead was too well glued and too inaccessible to get it back out of the smoke box!

Originally I designed the loco to make use of a sprung front bogie, but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't stop this lifting the front driving wheels (which, being off a Dapol Britannia, have traction tires fitted - I'll hang my head in shame now) and so fitted a Farish free swinging bogie instead. This now resulted in the loco pitching forward and lifting the rear drivers slightly so I put a screw back in the fixing hole for the old bogie and adjusted this to prevent the loco pitching forward while still allowing the bogie to track the rails. The tender is also full of lead (as it provides six of the ten wheel pickup) so I ended up designing a new drawbar to more securely fix the loco and tender together. All of this seems to have done the trick and rescued this loco from potentially a major disaster.

The main loco chassis came from a Dapol Hall (as did the coupling rods, cons rods and cross heads) but I fitted an 8mm coreless motor in the tender rather than the 'Super Creep' motor that Dapol likes. The Dapol motor would not have fitted inside the GNR tender anyway and the coreless motor is much smoother and much much quieter.

Hopefully, Hadley Wood will end up with six of these locomotives and the experienced gained, over a protracted period of time, with this one should mean that the other five will be even better!

Evening Atso,

fascinating and inspiring stuff, you have certainly cracked that Atlantic both  in terms of looks and performance.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I found time today to have a play with my K3s and they certainly weren’t as good as the A4, but I think they acquitted themselves quite well. 

The Bachmann K3 is already quite well weighted and there’s no room anywhere for more lead in mine. DC users could make a little more room by removing the decoder socket and hard wiring the engine, but it would not make a huge difference. So I had to test it as it comes, and it couldn’t quite manage my Elizabethan rake (which is pretty heavy). My white metal body on Bachmann chassis version did (just) manage the Elizabethan, but that was about the limit. 

So I decided to see what they could do on a more typical ECML rake. In this case, I used my 1735 KX- Newcastle rake which is 11 cars and includes the all metal Silver Jubilee triplet. This they both managed fine. I then added 4 cars from my (embyonic) Heart of Midlothian rake and this was about the limit for the standard Bachmann example.

(Please excuse the head code - this is just a haulage test!)

15 cars including some heavy ones is a quite creditable performance I think, if not quite matching what the prototype could manage. Clearly a (well built ) white metal kit would manage more, but I think this proves that RTR can manage a long enough train to satisfy 99%+ of all modellers, and even, I would guess, 90%+ of the more discerning kind of modellers found on this thread.

Of course the Bachmann K3 has many other issues aside from its haulage capability which dictate that a kit is probably the way to go for this prototype - the SE Finecast kit is superb.

Andy

Well done Andy,

or is that cheating using a different train?  It sounds like a bit of a thrash.

Edited by Headstock
Yank Greenies comunication cord.
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks Tony. It is a nice little film. The Mk 1s certainly rule out the 1950 date. I hadn't thought of that! Good spot.

Vincent has been having a look too. One of his books gives the loco livery as black until 1954, when it went Green. However, the loco had long spells at Crewe earlier than that, sometimes of over a month, when it very likely should have been painted blue and it may be that the records are wrong.

We have both convinced ourselves that the lining is too bright to be orange. It isn't any darker than the cab side numbers. I know different black and white still films picked up reds in different ways but I know nothing about motion film colour rendition. We do think the loco backing onto he train is not the same one as seen in close up with the shunter climbing out after coupling up. The one backing down doesn't have bright lining and the film has a slightly different quality to it, so perhaps they used some "stock" footage. The loco departing with the out of focus number doesn't have visible lining, so we think hat might be a green loco with black and orange lining.

The reason it makes a difference is that Vincent is putting he finishing touches to the carriage shed for the layout. In the film, it is nice and clean and we are trying to work out when it was painted!    

First of all - enjoyed watching the video, especially the pre-war colour footage. I've see stills from that footage but never the actual film itself. Thanks for sharing the link.

Following up on your comment re mixing the pieces of film, the piece with the shunter (or was it the fireman?!) climbing out after coupling up shows a non-streamlined tender (giveaway is rear steps and lack of extended side sheets). 46247 being an ex-streamliner would have had a streamlined tender ... or would it?

Interestingly, the records in the Ian Sixsmith book 'The book of the Coronation pacifics' show that 46247 ran with a streamlined tender - until Dec 1952, whence it towed a non-streamlined tender (No. 9749, originally built for 6231). So, if that info is correct, then it's a different loco ... or 46247 from 1953 onwards?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Tony,

TW is right, the Royal Scot sets were re equipped with a full complement of Mk1's during 1951, including the early mk1 kitchen cars. A little bit of background, at the time of the interchange trials both sets of the Royal Scot were in the post-war LMS livery (I have forgotten if this was referred to as crimson lake or maroon). The Royal scot was chosen to be one of the former LMS trains participating in the 1948 livery experiments, one set was painted chocolate and cream and the other plumb and spilt milk. On the conclusion of the livery trials, porthole stock was introduced to the two formations in the new BR crimson and cream livery. This created a rather colourful if mixed bag of livery combinations. There then followed a transition to the new Mk1 stock in 1951, were the porthole portion remained in the train until eventually replaced by the new Mk1's.

Most interesting and thanks for the details. So that gives us an earliest possible date, for the stock, of 1951. It should be a bit later than that as the signal box filmed at work hadn't been built then and was commissioned in 1954 and the loco, according to several books, should be black, which it clearly isn't. Of course it could be clips taken a year or two apart, that have been stitched together. There are certainly two different departures filmed as the leading brake vehicle changes from one to the other.  

• Like 2

As last posts on pages often get missed, I'll just repeat the following information for t-b-g, which is also pointing to more of a mid-1950s date:

Following up on your comment re mixing the pieces of film, the piece with the shunter (or was it the fireman?!) climbing out after coupling up shows a non-streamlined tender (giveaway is rear steps and lack of extended side sheets). 46247 being an ex-streamliner would have had a streamlined tender ... or would it?

Interestingly, the records in the Ian Sixsmith book 'The book of the Coronation pacifics' show that 46247 ran with a streamlined tender - until Dec 1952, whence it towed a non-streamlined tender (No. 9749, originally built for 6231). So, if that info is correct, then it's a different loco ... or 46247 from 1953 onwards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

First of all - enjoyed watching the video, especially the pre-war colour footage. I've see stills from that footage but never the actual film itself. Thanks for sharing the link.

More details and much appreciated. Another good spot!

As I said above, I am sure there are two locos involved. The one seen backing down and in one of the departure shots is not 46247. I can't quite make out the number on the other one but it looks to end in a 4.

I have just had another look and I award myself a "Good spot" this time. In one clip the platforms are wet with rain. In another they are dry. So at least two different locos and trains possibly involved and maybe more!

Edit to add that Vincent did tell me that the footage is the only genuine colour footage of the LMS Streamliner that he knows of, unless anybody knows otherwise.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Most interesting and thanks for the details. So that gives us an earliest possible date, for the stock, of 1951. It should be a bit later than that as the signal box filmed at work hadn't been built then and was commissioned in 1954 and the loco, according to several books, should be black, which it clearly isn't. Of course it could be clips taken a year or two apart, that have been stitched together. There are certainly two different departures filmed as the leading brake vehicle changes from one to the other.  

Tony,

I suspect that the film is from multiple but close periods of time. There is a porthole carriage readily identifiable in one shot, with the right destination boards, that would indicate an earlier time period. These carriages were unlikely to have substituted for Mk1's as singletons later, due to the complications involved in connection up to the Pullman gangways. The formation of the train changed radically in a very short period of time and could have been captured by film on different occasions in this period.

As a note, there is more colour film of the streamliners but it often features as a continuation of that in the clip shown above. The other film includes red locomotives, I think that one is Duchess of Devonshire.

Edited by Headstock
add info on colour streamliners.

6 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

One of my N gauge projects, Frogan’s Yard, is an inner city area small goods yard which I originally ran as Green Diesels however my original and first love of LMS has resurfaced as the pictures hopefully show. The problem I’m currently grappling with however is road transport to carry the off loaded goods away. 

I’m aware of a couple of options from PD Marsh and Langley but I was wondering if anyone could offer any further suggestions I would be grateful as the only road transport I’ve found of suitable age is a taxi.

860F6370-4EB8-430F-B3EA-CA8E1C59CE5B.jpeg

A9A06334-440C-49FE-A2E8-81B2315FF4BA.jpeg

Good evening Dragonboy,

before I sign off for the night, I forgot to compliment you on your layout, I think that it is very effective. I like the space that you have created and it has some very well observed stock and other details. Superior to the average exhibition layout in my opinion. I'm not sure about the tractor conflat arrangement?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

A few general shots of Sowerby Road M.P.D. ( not to be confused with Sowerby Bridge m.p.d. , this one is totally fictional ) . Hope they are of interest .

1 . visiting locos no's 45517 & 60031 GOLDEN PLOVER await their return workings in the shed .

2 . A grounded coach body provides a less than salubrious mess room .

3 . A view of the repair shed .

Cheers ,

Ray .

p1010322a.jpg

P1010327a.jpg

P1010332a.jpg

Hi

Some really nice MPD detailing.

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Wow, I've been in the wrong profession all this time.  I could have written/drawn those instructions and just as easily cut a length of tube, get someone else to make the finer parts on commission.  Then I just paste a picture of the prototype to a cardboard box, add contents, and sell them for about £90 (telling the purchaser they still need to purchase wheels, motor, gears.....

That is a very, very poor product.  I can't think of too many markets where you could get away with selling something of that standard.

Hi, I would just like to say every story has two sides ....

I have had one of these NLR tank  kits built by a friend, who just happens to be the ex co-owner of

Mallard models.  The kit has been built and in my humble opinion is a beautiful replica of the 'original' loco.

I will attempt to photo the finished model and add to the thread later in the week, to prove a point.

Sometimes just because one cannot, others can !    

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

GNR tenders are a minefield, Graham,

Most shots I looked at showed the toolboxes gone by BR days (though probably not universally).

Another potential for being 'blown up' are the breather cones for water pick-up. Many of these tenders lost their pick-up gear, but kept the cones. Some had them removed.

I think Malcolm Crawley wrote a book about the GN tenders. Worth getting?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

The GNRS book on GN Tenders by Malcolm Crawley is worth getting in my view.

It was one of the two books in the parcel from Steve White of the GNRS that was sent to your place for me when I visited in in 2017! I don't think I did much more than glance at it quickly then shove it in my bag when I was at your place. I should have shown it to you.

It has a series of drawings by Paul Craig, who also assisted with development of a number of the GN LRM kits. It enables one to determine which loco had which type of tender from around 1930 to withdrawal as well which I found most useful for my mid-late 1930s modelling period. It doesn't contain any photos which was apparently Malcom's wish. Also it doesn't cover this issue of the movement of the front coal plate to a further forward position on horseshoe tenders either. I had to rely on Yeadon and other books with photos for that.

Still I wouldn't be without it for what I need to build. From what I've found almost none of the w/m GN  tenders in various kits are correct. My next loco build is likely to be a Premier kits D3 but the tender in that is too short so I'll need a LRM horseshoe for that - might have to steal the tender from my unbuilt LRM J6 in the short term!

Andrew 

54 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

It was one of the two books in the parcel from Steve White of the GNRS that was sent to your place for me when I visited in in 2017! I don't think I did much more than glance at it quickly then shove it in my bag when I was at your place. I should have shown it to you.

It has a series of drawings by Paul Craig, who also assisted with development of a number of the GN LRM kits. It enables one to determine which loco had which type of tender from around 1930 to withdrawal as well which I found most useful for my mid-late 1930s modelling period. It doesn't contain any photos which was apparently Malcom's wish. Also it doesn't cover this issue of the movement of the front coal plate to a further forward position on horseshoe tenders either. I had to rely on Yeadon and other books with photos for that.

Still I wouldn't be without it for what I need to build. From what I've found almost none of the w/m GN  tenders in various kits are correct. My next loco build is likely to be a Premier kits D3 but the tender in that is too short so I'll need a LRM horseshoe for that - might have to steal the tender from my unbuilt LRM J6 in the short term!

Andrew 

I agree with Andrew-the GNRS GN Tender book is an indispensable aid for modellers, with excellent drawings of every type, from the very first four-wheelers to Gresley's GNR eight-wheelers.

I just wish that a similar reference work was available for the MR/LMS Johnson/Deeley/Fowler six-wheel tenders.

8 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

Hi, I would just like to say every story has two sides ....

I have had one of these NLR tank  kits built by a friend, who just happens to be the ex co-owner of

Mallard models.  The kit has been built and in my humble opinion is a beautiful replica of the 'original' loco.

I will attempt to photo the finished model and add to the thread later in the week, to prove a point.

Sometimes just because one cannot, others can !    

I'm sure the kit will build into a very nice model, but my point of 'criticism' was the provision of two bits of roughly-cut (by a hacksaw?!) brass tube provided for the inner smokebox and boiler. 

In my view, such provision lets the kit down. Without machine tools, how is one expected to to accurately face-off the ends of these bits? Just checking (very crudely, I admit), the boiler is slightly over-long, which means it'll have to be shortened slightly. I'm not good enough with my hand/eye coordination to do that with files. It needs a lathe. 

I know Dave Smith well (was he the builder?), and have great respect for him, but he's way-above the 'average' modeller. Fred Blackman (who's died recently), who was the original Mallard proprietor (hence 'Blacksmith') was also a way-above average modeller. 

Surely a loco kit should be able to be built without the use of machine tools? If not, then the fact that it can't be should be expressed in the instructions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Dragonboy,

before I sign off for the night, I forgot to compliment you on your layout, I think that it is very effective. I like the space that you have created and it has some very well observed stock and other details. Superior to the average exhibition layout in my opinion. I'm not sure about the tractor conflat arrangement?

Many thanks for your kind words Andrew.

I take your point entirely about the tractor conflat combination. Glaringly obvious really. Will be transferred to BR foams. 

Brian

Malcolm's book and the drawings within it were of use, but for a Class A tender they do not show anything to help you if you want one in LNER condition.  Yeadon's J6 tome is also of limited use for tender shots.   I found much more helpful material in the Q1/2 and D1-4 volumes where there seem to be more pictures showing amended tender fronts.

The list of loco/tender combinations in Malcolm's book is invaluable, however.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The usual minefield!

Malcolm's document certainly is an invaluable guide to the GNR tenders, but it doesn't answer all of the questions and I doubt that anybody ever will be able to answer them all, as I gather that masses of Doncaster records were destroyed - even as a matter of policy as early as Stirling's regime. Rebuilding and modernization of older tenders complicated the picture too.

In the tender in the picture, I believe the D shaped frame cut-outs and an apparently full-width coal space suggest (as should be the case) a Stirling tender or very early Ivatt at the latest, before the horse-shoe tank shape appeared. If the view showed the rear, then a thick wooden buffer beam and square rather than rounded rear edges to the tank would confirm a Stirling design.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Headstock said:

As a note, there is more colour film of the streamliners but it often features as a continuation of that in the clip shown above. The other film includes red locomotives, I think that one is Duchess of Devonshire.

Can confirm that - a still from that piece of film is in the book 'The Colour of Steam - The LMS Pacifics' [Derek Huntriss, Atlantic Transport Publishers, 1988]. It is indeed 6227 and it is also a Euston platform end departure shot. One strongly suspects therefore that it was captured by the same filmmaker on the same day, given the rarity of pre-war colour cine film. Interestingly, the caption quotes the date as being 1938.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Can confirm that - a still from that piece of film is in the book 'The Colour of Steam - The LMS Pacifics' [Derek Huntriss, Atlantic Transport Publishers, 1988]. It is indeed 6227 and it is also a Euston platform end departure shot. One strongly suspects therefore that it was captured by the same filmmaker on the same day, given the rarity of pre-war colour cine film. Interestingly, the caption quotes the date as being 1938.

The continuity's all over the place, but here's said footage. Amazing what it's possible to dredge up on YouTube:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

Andrew 

Malcolm had hoped to include photographs and wanted a photo of each type portrayed in the book. As his health deteriorated, he realised that if he delayed sending it off for publication until all the photos were found, he may not finish it. In the end it was all a bit of a rush and he would have liked to have done more work on it but that wasn't possible. He decided that rather than put some photos in, it would make more sense for somebody to do a supplement with all the photos together. There was talk of that happening but I haven't heard anything for ages now, so perhaps it isn't going to happen.

I know how many hours of research and work went into the book and he would have been very pleased that people find it useful. He always thought it may be a bit too obscure a subject for a book and might have very limited appeal. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

The continuity's all over the place, but here's said footage. Amazing what it's possible to dredge up on YouTube:

Wonderful! And quite a lot of footage at Carlisle too so that's made my day (although the photographer's panning technique needs some work). The Coronation Scot and Midday Scot departed Euston within half an hour of each other so would have perfectly suited the photographer. Some invaluable moments of the formation and vehicle types for the latter as we're working on a pre-war version of that train for Shap.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1