Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

To Doug & St. Enodoc, with apologies to Mr Wright for hijacking his thread...I will have a look at my spray can paint palette in the next couple of days and put in my suggestions. I have tried many car sprays, with mixed results, I do envy the b*ggers in UK with 'damask red' etc.

The Mr Hobby 'russet' was worth a go I thought, and overall I am very pleased with the result. It is also compatible with Tamiya varnishes..that opens another can of worms!

Cheers from Fortress West,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

To Doug & St. Enodoc, with apologies to Mr Wright for hijacking his thread...I will have a look at my spray can paint palette in the next couple of days and put in my suggestions. I have tried many car sprays, with mixed results, I do envy the b*ggers in UK with 'damask red' etc.

The Mr Hobby 'russet' was worth a go I thought, and overall I am very pleased with the result. It is also compatible with Tamiya varnishes..that opens another can of worms!

Cheers from Fortress West,

Peter C.

Good afternoon Peter,

It puzzles me why folk should feel the need to apologise for putting interesting, informative, even inspiring and fascinating comments, pictures, ideas and solutions on this thread. 

There is no 'highjacking' taking place at all. I welcome your comments/observations and those of others.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Just to report back - my nut is now fixed solid (as you might say!), and Tony's "wonky cocktail stick" was actually the only way that I could hold the nut in place from above whilst soldering from underneath - so in the end, that was the approach that I used.

I am pleased to say that the ballast plough has now joined the operational fleet!

Thanks to all and to Tony in particular.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I'm glad it worked. 

I wish I'd personally thought of/invented any of the tips and hints I try to pass on.

All I've done is to plagiarise them off much cleverer folk.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm posting a lot of my railway photos in my Random pictures thread but have just posted some form a batch that readers of this column who like green engine might appreciate. 

1866767602_Film1975-11005.jpg.84132408e45679e3051c1233da50de84.jpg

778307478_Film1975-11004.jpg.2dca193aa63a30b75a5c89e4ce2f9282.jpg

Taken at Ravenglass in June 75 when a railtour paused en route to Sellafield.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie

I appreciate the picture of the bridge as well!

Dave

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With the discussion the other day about 'elevated views', I thought I'd try a few photographic experiments this afternoon. 

Firstly, some real 'higher level' views......

816800118_elevatedview02.jpg.493f9ac43d9f57600f6b3ff9c57cf9ee.jpg

Not very elevated, but near the south portal of Peascliffe Tunnel (an impossible view today because of rampant Mother Nature). 

A nice example of an early ASCC motor carrier. And, a lovely mix of stock on the express.

1449387841_elevatedview05.jpg.46206c2e2f55ba2c8d87078c36e58c8f.jpg

Classic Hadley Wood. Truly, a train in a landscape. Again, Sylvania has taken over today. 

879235848_elevatedview08.jpg.eb49a78483f3bdfbed0faa60ae3e4b8c.jpg

Gamston.

1903538543_elevatedview09.jpg.681c3f7886b6fdeb0bd70dd704532826.jpg

Askham Tunnel (the shortest on the ECML - and anywhere else?). 

2129656648_elevatedview06.jpg.7ccee16ace06e4eedb0b4d6f46bd2120.jpg

And above the south portal of Stoke Tunnel. 

Elevated views do give a good view of the trains, but they're nowhere near as common as the normal three quarter front view.

1294125515_60136onScarboroughFlyer.jpg.f0d7503b52516f1752e971c5ee7e82f0.jpg

From the top of the model Stoke Tunnel, with only the carriage roofs visible. 

Selective compression as well! 

And on to Bytham's elevated views. Since 1958 was way before drones, I considered where a photographer might have been standing to get these shots.....

1890069083_60039elevated.jpg.e7591fc3cec5467ecfa1d656436162a3.jpg

Taken from the M&GNR overbridge.

298250648_60039elevated.tightcropjpg.jpg.42598dae28dec6426c15c8020dd9bc9f.jpg

Perhaps moving just off the bridge gives a better view? 

1593677220_60048elevated.jpg.2ed16ae1e811a0a49d81877aca3a719d.jpg

Taken from the lower platform of the Up fast home signal.

804274008_60111elevated.jpg.2fb554b60376b6f6a598e29721b01b1f.jpg

Taken from the platform of the Down fast starter. 

132076600_60103elevated.jpg.7d8251c06341614d1d06c8533a4f744c.jpg

From the same Down fast starter's platform, but the picture-taker has turned through 180 degrees. He must also have a time-splitting machine, since 60103 has German blinkers; something she got two years after Little Bytham Station was flattened! Rule 1 applies.... 

1785378679_60104elevated.jpg.7f62a29d6141f6a1131e7fb179cc2aba.jpg

A view from the footbridge as an Up fitted freight approaches. 

598241606_60054elevated.jpg.3b1ca41713e564ac2a50aab522bed358.jpg

A picture taken from the top of the embankment adjacent to the stationmaster's garden. 

Aren't A3s handsome locos? In my view, the most-elegant British Pacific. 

Obviously, I didn't actually take the pictures from the signals, footbridge and girder bridge (they're strong, but there are limits). I just placed boxes alongside the structures on which to plonk the camera. At least the positions make sense (or at least near to). Aerial shots which could only be achieved by levitation or a drone don't really 'work' in my opinion. 

Out of possible interest, this is what my latest A3 will end up looking like (at least I hope so).

1000812975_6006203.jpg.63d6e8116f42fd92e5ce7b6d32eb21d0.jpg

This afternoon, I erected the cab, making sure it was vertically parallel with the tender. Oops! 

And you're right, Roy. Just look at that pile of coal in MINORU's tender (at Grantham). 

Please observe copyright restrictions on the prototype shots. 

Before I read  your comments Tony , I thought that looks like Grantham , and the pile of coal is interesting . But it's more the back of the coal space that was always full that is noticeably missing on  many model locos .

Regards , Roy .

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 12:07, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

I'm glad it worked. 

I wish I'd personally thought of/invented any of the tips and hints I try to pass on.

All I've done is to plagiarise them off much cleverer folk.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

The mark of genius is knowing who to plagiarize from. i was fed up with students copying from someone who had got it wrong to start with.

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of Russet, my first car was Russet brown.

I do miss my Allegros (yes, I had one then another). Ugly as sin, but ultra reliable considering the abuse they were given and mighty comfortable on their hydragas suspension. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Jamie

I appreciate the picture of the bridge as well!

Dave

I may have some more if you wany pictures of structures. Send me a PM. 

Jamie

PS, Another senior monent went flashing by. I didn't recognise your screen name Dave. There are some other bridge puctures of the viaducts at Ravenglass in that set. Let me know what you want.  By the way the span if the bridge looks lovely.

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With the discussion the other day about 'elevated views', I thought I'd try a few photographic experiments this afternoon. 

Firstly, some real 'higher level' views......

816800118_elevatedview02.jpg.493f9ac43d9f57600f6b3ff9c57cf9ee.jpg

Not very elevated, but near the south portal of Peascliffe Tunnel (an impossible view today because of rampant Mother Nature). 

A nice example of an early ASCC motor carrier. And, a lovely mix of stock on the express.

Please observe copyright restrictions on the prototype shots. 

It is the first time I have seen The Anglo Scottish Car Carrier with only roof boards not the large writing on the side of the CCT(E)s. They are also in crimson, where as the ones with the sign writing on the side were maroon. 

What a pity the photo was bombed by other train.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Clive, there is an article in the latest Gresley Observer about the Car Carrier.  The earliest photos (1960, the first year of service) don't have the large lettering but do have roofboards in some shots, so it may be (unless that's substitute stock) that the picture dates from 1960.  

Most of the later shots, even those dated 1961, have the large lettering visible.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

The mark of genius is knowing who to plagiarise from. i was fed up with students copying from someone who hasd got it wrong to start with.

Lloyd

I'm reminded of my first meeting with my oldest friend, Lloyd.

It was September, 1958, and we'd just started at secondary modern school (neither of us had been bright enough to pass our 11+). 

We were sitting side by side in a maths lesson and neither of us had a clue about how to solve the problems given. So, we copied off each other. Now, when two pupils get the same right answer it can mean one of only two things. One, they both got the answer right independently. Or, two, the dim one copied off the bright one, thus getting the answer right. 

The problem for my friend and me was that we were both dim, and got exactly the same wrong answer. On being 'flogged' (obligatory for transgressions in those far-off days) we were told it was not because we copied as such. 'No' said the teacher 'It's because you copied off dimwits each. Why didn't you copy of Coot over there? He always gets the right answer!). 

Our friendship has lasted over 60 years! 

No doubt, in more recent times, we'd probably have been diagnosed with some 'condition', explaining our inabilities. No, we weren't that bright at the time, or just plain lazy. 

He must have pulled his socks up (as I did). He became a bank manager, and I taught maths (at least for part of the timetable)!

I still get stumped by really hard sums, however. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 16
  • Funny 1

Many years ago, when taking an external examination, I noticed that the guy next to me was copying my work. As I had time to spare, I created a few incorrect answers and left them where he could get a better view. I then answered the questions correctly, taking care to conceal them. The look on his face when I tore up the incorrect answers when the bell went was priceless. Cruel - maybe, but very satisfying. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

There are some wonderful examples on Grantham.....................

1638706419_FSwithA4.jpg.ba718683b4644a6d964e7a4903307140.jpg

740513532_Grantham505.jpg.988eeaa79cf3dc5979cdb92b137f1ee1.jpg

58514405_Grantham817V2atnorthend.jpg.9e8e2589bf908d6ace0c42de033ddc13.jpg

147915397_Grantham17.jpg.9af54465c4feddd98008f1b7ff8a728a.jpg

French, the signalling engineer on the GN, insisted on sky backgrounds where possible.

Regards,

Tony. 

Fantastic!  However I must admit to feeling a bit of a ding-bat having looked at and watched Grantham many times and completely missed these signals.   Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some of the paint matches I have found in Canada:

BR Crimson.   Can Tire Strawberry Fields Gloss, The Army Painter Warpaints "Chaotic Red",  Tamiya TS11 Maroon

ER Green Tamiya Dark Green XF-26 if it is to be lightly weathered and Humbrol RC405 GWR/BR Green

BR Roof Grey Tamiya German Grey XF-63

BR Wagon Grey Tamiya Neutral Grey XF-53

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Peak Forest Junction tunnel (29 yards).

Incidentally, why was Askham a tunnel and not a cutting?  Would a cutting not have been cheaper even if a bridge was required?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teaky said:

Incidentally, why was Askham a tunnel and not a cutting?  Would a cutting not have been cheaper even if a bridge was required?

I don't know, Rob,

There is a road over the top, which would have required a fairly tall bridge.

I haven't measured the length of the tunnel at Askham, but when I photographed a Deltic passing through it (lower picture p.46, Deltics A personal Recollection, Irwell Press 2016) it could accommodate just over two BR Mk.2s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Fantastic!  However I must admit to feeling a bit of a ding-bat having looked at and watched Grantham many times and completely missed these signals.   Jim

Thanks Jim,

Fantastic signals indeed they are. And, it takes a fantastic amount of time to cut out every segment of them in Photoshop!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I know how sad this sounds but I have just been looking up "shortest tunnel" on the internet.

Birdswood near Runcorn on the LNWR at 22 yards is the shortest so far but I have only got to the letter B and I have lost the will to live.

Askham at 57 yards is a positive giant!

The website is here if anybody else is interested enough to read through them all!

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/tunnels/tunnels1.shtm

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I know how sad this sounds but I have just been looking up "shortest tunnel" on the internet.

Birdswood near Runcorn on the LNWR at 22 yards is the shortest so far but I have only got to the letter B and I have lost the will to live.

Askham at 57 yards is a positive giant!

The website is here if anybody else is interested enough to read through them all!

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/tunnels/tunnels1.shtm

Thanks Tony,

There can't be a shorter tunnel on the ECML than Askham, can there?

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm reminded of my first meeting with my oldest friend, Lloyd.

It was September, 1958, and we'd just started at secondary modern school (neither of us had been bright enough to pass our 11+). 

We were sitting side by side in a maths lesson and neither of us had a clue about how to solve the problems given. So, we copied off each other. Now, when two pupils get the same right answer it can mean one of only two things. One, they both got the answer right independently. Or, two, the dim one copied off the bright one, thus getting the answer right. 

The problem for my friend and me was that we were both dim, and got exactly the same wrong answer. On being 'flogged' (obligatory for transgressions in those far-off days) we were told it was not because we copied as such. 'No' said the teacher 'It's because you copied off dimwits each. Why didn't you copy of Coot over there? He always gets the right answer!). 

Our friendship has lasted over 60 years! 

No doubt, in more recent times, we'd probably have been diagnosed with some 'condition', explaining our inabilities. No, we weren't that bright at the time, or just plain lazy. 

He must have pulled his socks up (as I did). He became a bank manager, and I taught maths (at least for part of the timetable)!

I still get stumped by really hard sums, however. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

When I was 15 years old our Maths teacher, Mr Jones, had some old fashioned ideas about how his class would be set up. We had to sit boy, girl , boy, girl until there was no more girls then the boys had to sit by themselves. I was quite shy in them days, and I was made to sit next to Lorraine, the best looking girl in the class. Hardly being able to say two words to her without being tongue tided I would just get on with my work. Well I liked Maths . One day I felt this thump on my upper arm, turned my head to see why I had been hit. One very cross looking Lorraine said "Can you slow down I can't copy that fast". After the initial panic, she had spoken to me, I did as she requested. Following lessons if she didn't understand Old Jonesy then I would show her what he had meant in a way she would understand. We became quite good friends at school, sadly lost contact as we ventured out into the big wide world. 

She had an older and bigger boyfriend.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

48 minutes ago, teaky said:

It may have been the influence of the landowner – Killiecrankie tunnel between Pitlochry and Perth is very shallow and could easily have been a cutting, but the Duke of Atholl didn't want a railway line spoiling the view.

The resultant tunnel limits loading gauge on the Highland Main Line.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, teaky said:

One fairly common reason for short tunnels is dodgy ground that would tend to refill a cutting. A tunnel was sometimes the best/easiest/cheapest way to ensure stability.

John

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3