Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 minute ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I like your high level shots. I know that some people prefer ground level shots as being more reminiscent of real railway shot, but I like the opportunity to see more of the train and layout.

Keep them coming and don’t feel you have to limit them to positions where they might have been taken. Perhaps the photographer had a hot air balloon! Did such things exist in the ‘50s?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I think I'll stick to trying shots which might have been possible. 'Helicopter' or 'hot air balloon' shots, maybe?

What if someone living in the station cottages had leaned out of a bedroom window with a camera...........

1605094594_elevatedview6419001.jpg.f4b7ed020f57e89c798129362c517459.jpg

Class J6 64190 (Nu-Cast/Wilson/Wright) propels pick-up vans into the yard. 

52668600_elevatedview6419002.jpg.52020d6d54cfa2ffd5ad864b1464f97b.jpg

And waits for a conversation with the crew.

This angle works less well, because the need for a slightly wide-angle lens has distorted the horizontals.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The photos that I personally find most satisfying are those taken from the most prototypically likely angles - from the lineside at footplate height, from the platform at carriage window height. There were some embankment-side shots from Stoke Summit posted on Friday (many pages back!) that really work for me. The most atmospheric from Little Bytham lately have been the photos of the M&GN line from the bottom of the embankment.

Tastes differ. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, richard i said:

So I can continue modeling, which is encouraged on this thread, does any one know if instructions exist for these D&s Parker gcr 8ft bogies designed by A Gibbing, as I was kindly given some but without instructions. Also what are these small components in the top middle, which may be from the bogies or from the carriage a Parker 5 compartment third? 
AD1C4715-AF33-4DEE-B130-89007F1FFBCA.jpeg.0886b7184a5a39974762feb00e04f2f7.jpeg
and what are the thin legs for on the steps for the brake carriages far left of photo piece in among the brake pull rods?

273EE1F8-FBB0-4625-A70F-9C6DC6F52A3B.jpeg.8ebf5fe5bf2cb2d45a721096433aac89.jpeg
I have asked on my thread Some questions answered, thank you Bill, but this has stumped all so far. 
many thanks

richard

Richard 

I have the two D&S Parker coaches to build. I also bought 4 pairs of the bogies from Dan many years ago - I think they were the last of the bogies he had unless they have been etched again. So far all I've built is one pair of bogies which I fitted to a Perseverence Clerestory third I bought secondhand from a mate here in Adelaide, the w/m bogies on that being far too high. Two pairs of the spare bogies are for two of those kits I have to build as well.

The instructions for the bogies are fairly basic and I remember I had great difficulty trying to work out how the dummy springs were meant to be arranged in the centre of the bogies - it was mostly guess work in the end!

I've scanned all the kit the instructions and will pm them to you - -only a double sided A4.

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

A silly request, but to put things into perspective, is it possible to have a photograph of your camera in position on the layout?

Stewart

It's not silly at all, Stewart.

I'll take some today. 

Regards,

Tony.

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The photos that I personally find most satisfying are those taken from the most prototypically likely angles - from the lineside at footplate height, from the platform at carriage window height. There were some embankment-side shots from Stoke Summit posted on Friday (many pages back!) that really work for me. The most atmospheric from Little Bytham lately have been the photos of the M&GN line from the bottom of the embankment.

Tastes differ. 

Good morning Stephen,

I try to vary the viewpoints as much as possible. 

I'll do a few comparisons later for you.......

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

So I can continue modeling, which is encouraged on this thread, does any one know if instructions exist for these D&s Parker gcr 8ft bogies designed by A Gibbing, as I was kindly given some but without instructions. Also what are these small components in the top middle, which may be from the bogies or from the carriage a Parker 5 compartment third? 
AD1C4715-AF33-4DEE-B130-89007F1FFBCA.jpeg.0886b7184a5a39974762feb00e04f2f7.jpeg
and what are the thin legs for on the steps for the brake carriages far left of photo piece in among the brake pull rods?

273EE1F8-FBB0-4625-A70F-9C6DC6F52A3B.jpeg.8ebf5fe5bf2cb2d45a721096433aac89.jpeg
I have asked on my thread Some questions answered, thank you Bill, but this has stumped all so far. 
many thanks

richard

Hello Richard. These kits were initially designed by Andy Gibbs for his P4 "Whetstone" layout. He needed lots of GCR carriages and suitable ones were not available as kits, so he designed his own. Later, he passed the kits on to D & S but Danny Pinnock had nothing to do with the design.

The tiny components on the top etch are the door hinges. The ones with the slight angle on the line across are for the lower ones, the angled bend taking account of the curve of the carriage side. I have a few of these to build but haven't done any yet. I do recall being told that the Brake 1st contains a bit of an error, in that the Brake and Passenger sections are reversed, as in they are at the opposite ends of the carriage to what they should be. I am not sure how it can be corrected and I think I may, eventually, build mine as provided and accept the error.

The small leg on the bogie footstep I don't have an answer for!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

I like shots from those angles too ... plus I think stronger shadows make models look more realistic. Too many photos are shot with unrealistically diffuse light.

I try to get the lighting as even as possible (too-strong shadows obliterate detail underneath footplates, for instance), creating any shadows with pulses of fill-in flash.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Perhaps the photographer had a hot air balloon! Did such things exist in the ‘50s?

Andy

Which '50's!?!

Mr Montgolfier invented his first hot air vessel in 1782 and I have held in my hands, a booklet dated shortly after this time relating to "air travel", I cannot recall the exact date of publication but it was prior to the French revolution!

I did ask my friend who allowed me to handle this document how much he paid for it, when the response came back, "oh, over a thousand dollars" - I handed it back, quickly! This was in 1995, in California.

So, although it couldn't have been the 1750's, it could easily have been the 1850s OR the 1950's!

Almost coincident with this was the development in France of the first cameras and photography, with the first images being produced in the mid 1820's, it was feasible that hot air balloon photography could have occured in the 1850's!

Surprising how long some inventions have been around, eh?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Richard. These kits were initially designed by Andy Gibbs for his P4 "Whetstone" layout. He needed lots of GCR carriages and suitable ones were not available as kits, so he designed his own. Later, he passed the kits on to D & S but Danny Pinnock had nothing to do with the design.

The tiny components on the top etch are the door hinges. The ones with the slight angle on the line across are for the lower ones, the angled bend taking account of the curve of the carriage side. I have a few of these to build but haven't done any yet. I do recall being told that the Brake 1st contains a bit of an error, in that the Brake and Passenger sections are reversed, as in they are at the opposite ends of the carriage to what they should be. I am not sure how it can be corrected and I think I may, eventually, build mine as provided and accept the error.

The small leg on the bogie footstep I don't have an answer for!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks tony,

all help gratefully received. 
richard 

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Haven't ever made any of those, but the small pieces with the half etched line are door hinges.   Fold them though 90 degrees, push through the slot in the side, solder from the rear.

The little legs on the steps are the securing brackets, which being above the step are visible?   Fold the step up, place against the bogie side with plenty of flux and apply iron - the solder will wick up the back of the folded brass and the bracket above, securing it firmly.   At least, that's the theory.

Is this an old kit or can you still get hold of these anywhere?  The GC Society haven't (to my knowledge) released any of the Parker kits again although the castings have been reproduced.

Thank you.

this was a kit kindly given me by John quick to help me build a gcr layout. The gcrs has the etches I believe but has done the wagons first from the d&s range. Worsley works does the body kits, but like a lot of these things it is the bogies which are hardest to source. At least that is what I have found from building four Barnums. 
richard 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

More shots taken from the bedroom windows of the station cottages would be most welcome. They now join that trio of the "natural look."  Track level, footbridge level and embankment which is now a quartet! 

All great stuff.

Eric

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, richard i said:

Thank you.

this was a kit kindly given me by John quick to help me build a gcr layout. The gcrs has the etches I believe but has done the wagons first from the d&s range. Worsley works does the body kits, but like a lot of these things it is the bogies which are hardest to source. At least that is what I have found from building four Barnums. 
richard 

I know where you are coming from - it's the same with the GER. I've found that Roxey Mouldings can come up with something quite close by mixing and matching some bits from SR territory but I have been having to make my own stepboards. I'm trying to get these made for me now but in the current climate that's proving... interesting...!

1424063965_1-Roxeykit.jpg.5a8b7c942af5fde1a8af3c9983237539.jpg

1729198897_2-Roxeybuilt-precleanup.jpg.0f3241cbe081ba89a7e7fb98e82702f0.jpg

1473638561_3-Footstepssweatedtogether.jpg.2bf25d7e304c3f04a88266c24affbcef.jpg

724767204_4-Footstepmounts.jpg.eccd1a9214f393f3c7929c54bfc11a5b.jpg

I forgot to put wheels in the test build - not easy once the axleboxes are on!

I deliberately opted for the thicker tie bar between along the bottom of the axlebox keeps (if that's the tight term) as whilst the thinner one is more accurate, I can see it getting bent very easily. Otherwise the only other major difference I am aware of -  I have very limited source materials) is the number of rivets on the frame - grouped in 5s not 4s. I won't tell anyone!

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

For those interested in knowing more about the Isinglass 3-D printed coaches I have started a thread on the LNER model railways forum. Jonathan and others have now posted on that thread.

Andrew

Would you help us find it by editing a link into the above please.

• RMweb Gold

Bridge identification. Help please.

I've found this picture of a series of through truss bridges. There are outer guard rails on the track.

Location? Possibly Southern. Possibly near Poole but not sure. Photo taken from one end of a push-pull.

Have hunted high and low without success. It might well have been demolished but I am sure that someone will recognise it in the pool(e) of railway modellers.

DaveDSC05232.JPG.99f60fe9ea6e7d8597dd04a99cc29930.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Bridge identification. Help please.

I've found this picture of a series of through truss bridges. There are outer guard rails on the track.

Location? Possibly Southern. Possibly near Poole but not sure. Photo taken from one end of a push-pull.

Have hunted high and low without success. It might well have been demolished but I am sure that someone will recognise it in the pool(e) of railway modellers.

DaveDSC05232.JPG.99f60fe9ea6e7d8597dd04a99cc29930.JPG

I think it is the former bridge in Weymouth on the Portland Branch carrying it over Radipole Lake. Looking east, Melcombe Regis platform just visible through the left hand trusses if you zoom in.

Edited by john new
Better sense
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. As an aside that is the miniature engine the late Ken Wiltshire always said he accidentally put in the lake and inspired the Awdry story. Not sure where it is now, IIRC it was at Oakhill before it closed.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, john new said:

I think it is the former bridge in Weymouth on the Portland Branch carrying it over Radipole Lake. Looking east, Melcombe Regis platform just visible through the left hand trusses if you zoom in.

John and Compound2632, thanks for the superfast response - I am truly impressed!

Cheers

A couple of folk seemed to like the M&GNR shots of late. 

1555583742_elevatedview62573.jpg.143db2f3cb94181571ae8c3f0dd79781.jpg

Here, the 'elevation' is the opposite way around. 

I'm very fortunate to not be modelling a 'flat-earth' scenario; allowing me to capture views such as this............................

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1