Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Bridge identification. Help please.

I've found this picture of a series of through truss bridges. There are outer guard rails on the track.

Location? Possibly Southern. Possibly near Poole but not sure. Photo taken from one end of a push-pull.

Have hunted high and low without success. It might well have been demolished but I am sure that someone will recognise it in the pool(e) of railway modellers.

DaveDSC05232.JPG.99f60fe9ea6e7d8597dd04a99cc29930.JPG

Looks like the bridge leading into Padstow

I've just noticed that I should have changed the lamps on the 9F heading the Up freight in the previous pictures.

It's lamped-up for a fully-fitted freight (Class C), when in fact, the last few vehicles are unfitted. It should, therefore, be running as Class D. One lamp at the top and one over the loco's RH buffer (when looking forward from the cab). 

How could anyone forgive such a heinous crime! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

Looks like the bridge leading into Padstow

Definitely Weymouth. Just had another look, the Palm House is visible (it is still standing) through the girders on the right and what is now flats, but was a pub, on the corner where the Harbour branch crosses King St is the left hand most building in the visible terrace of buildings in the background.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tony

Track level views, etc. are good, as they are what would normally have been seen. Higher level views are good as they show us more of the extent of the layout, and sometimes there is a suitable high level vantage point from which to view the station. Edinburgh Waverly is an obvious example of that. They are all lovely to see, for different reasons.

Keep them coming please.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

Track level views, etc. are good, as they are what would normally have been seen. Higher level views are good as they show us more of the extent of the layout, and sometimes there is a suitable high level vantage point from which to view the station. Edinburgh Waverly is an obvious example of that. They are all lovely to see, for different reasons.

These track level views are very "natural"; models didn't used to be photographed like this in the Brian Monaghan days!  Ironically, I wish more photographers of the prototype had moved away from platform ends or the trackside and sought out some elevation (where it existed).  You can see so much more of how the railway fits into the landscape, plus you can see a lot more lineside features when the train's not obscuring them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just noticed that I should have changed the lamps on the 9F heading the Up freight in the previous pictures.

It's lamped-up for a fully-fitted freight (Class C), when in fact, the last few vehicles are unfitted. It should, therefore, be running as Class D. One lamp at the top and one over the loco's RH buffer (when looking forward from the cab). 

How could anyone forgive such a heinous crime! 

I know. It certainly beats one bogie wheel off the track in a photo. Or does it?

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Bridge identification. Help please.

I've found this picture of a series of through truss bridges. There are outer guard rails on the track.

Location? Possibly Southern. Possibly near Poole but not sure. Photo taken from one end of a push-pull.

Have hunted high and low without success. It might well have been demolished but I am sure that someone will recognise it in the pool(e) of railway modellers.

DaveDSC05232.JPG.99f60fe9ea6e7d8597dd04a99cc29930.JPG

Definitely the Backwater Viaduct at Weymouth on the Portland Branch.  The photo is one of a set taken when the bridge was new.  There are a couple of photos around taken at the same time showing the viaduct being tested prior to use - the test was carried out using a 28xx 2-8-0 and a large prairie tank - don't know which class - coupled together.  The houses visible in the backround stand in Commercial Rd. and face on to the Weymouth Harbour Tramway.  The pub on the corner was formerly the Portland Railway Hotel and was a Hall and Woodhouse pub.

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

In response to an earlier request.............................

312022856_cameraposition01.jpg.19b0f54b5f24288d87321a865ed6b91b.jpg

883418636_cameraposition02.jpg.d8d9a879bc5d7b93356a21ff03ff0cd9.jpg

These two shots show my positioning of the camera to try and replicate the photographer being on the signal box's veranda.

The base is a little plastic toolbox. I set the camera on a ten-second shutter delay and lifted the mirror up to obviate any camera shake. 

Of course, one needs two cameras to show this (or a camera phone, which I don't possess - nor want to). 

1053802336_elevatedview9203792192.jpg.2b84d593495e0bfdf627f84893926300.jpg

The camera's position gave the shot shown yesterday. 

However, by removing the little box.......

2013845862_cameraposition03.jpg.15892a53aa49a73d4e495be15303218f.jpg

And placing the camera at ground level.....

1787742902_track-levelview9203792192.jpg.ce580bc49dae4ac606a9384816e9d10f.jpg

This is the result. Not 'better' and not 'worse' in my view, just different. 

Whatever the case, to achieve either shot, a very small aperture was required. 

I think you need to sack the signalman for giving a clear road with that obstruction on the track!

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

18 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

Tony,

More shots taken from the bedroom windows of the station cottages would be most welcome. They now join that trio of the "natural look."  Track level, footbridge level and embankment which is now a quartet! 

All great stuff.

Eric

Your wish is my command, Eric,

The station cottages must have been very interesting places to live........

1943711615_elevatedview61175.jpg.f983471757d1f2bb5b897261d93490d1.jpg

Imagine waking up one morning and seeing this sort of thing from the bedroom window. This view is from the back bedroom window of the western cottage.

1043605643_track-levelview61175.jpg.3b665b3e60a91d777b26b20bf118af2c.jpg

For comparison, I took a track-level view as well. 

The B1 on pick-up duty is a Hornby/Wright/Foster creation. 

1522164625_elevatedviewgoodsyard.jpg.64c40c8a312dc5abe3bd998e9e802b0e.jpg

Looking the other way, this shot was taken from the front bedroom window of the eastern cottage (I believe they were both two-up, two-down, with outside privies). 

Actually, I moved the cottages out of the way and just stood the camera on a small box. 

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, Daniel W said:

I know freight stock isn't really your cup of tea, Tony, but are there any examples that you are particularly fond of? Any unusual wagons that you don't normally see on layouts?

I'll have a look tomorrow, Daniel,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Your wish is my command, Eric,

The station cottages must have been very interesting places to live........

Imagine waking up one morning and seeing this sort of thing from the bedroom window. This view is from the back bedroom window of the western cottage.

Regards,

Tony.

9289986_woodstreetengineshed.jpg.f144377a7f77e20ad54344bd327d8d5e.jpg

My childhood bedroom window from the 50's to the 70's was one of the ones in the distance immediately below the head  of the colour light signal. The fence by the track was the bottom of the garden.

For me looking out, the engine shed far end was at 10 o'clock. the various turnouts between that and the throat from the main lines into the carriage sidings in front. The rush hour extra trains were made up and slotted into (and later out of) the main lines in full frontal view twice daily.

Andy

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple of folk seemed to like the M&GNR shots of late. 

1555583742_elevatedview62573.jpg.143db2f3cb94181571ae8c3f0dd79781.jpg

Here, the 'elevation' is the opposite way around. 

I'm very fortunate to not be modelling a 'flat-earth' scenario; allowing me to capture views such as this............................

Local road and storage for visiting locomotives boxes haha 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Local road and storage for visiting locomotives boxes haha 

Good morning Jesse,

Station Road is most useful for standing locos on, and not just visiting ones.

I don't know what I'd do without it!

Coincidentally, as we swung into (the real) Station Road the other day, I pondered to Mo 'I wonder how many other Station Roads there must be in the country?'; retaining the name, even though there's not been a station in them for decades. And, in Castle Bytham's Station Road's case, not even a railway.

One local sign (in Rippingale) still has a signpost directing travellers to the Great Northern Railway Station! The line ceased carrying passengers in LNER days....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Coincidentally, as we swung into (the real) Station Road the other day, I pondered to Mo 'I wonder how many other Station Roads there must be in the country?'; retaining the name, even though there's not been a station in them for decades. And, in Castle Bytham's Station Road's case, not even a railway.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Station Road is the second most common street name in the UK, second only to High Street but actually more common than obvious names like Main Street, Church Street, Park Road etc.

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Station Road is the second most common street name in the UK, second only to High Street but actually more common than obvious names like Main Street, Church Street, Park Road etc.

Rob

Though not as common as it once was. Two local instances; Seaton (Devon) lost it's branch line in the 1960s, and what was Station Road is now Harbour Road, which may, I think, have been its name before the railway existed.

In nearby Axminster, road alterations have meant that the former Station Road no longer provides vehicular access to that establishment, and is now Western Way. There is a gateway roughly where the connection once was, but only for the benefit of tankers delivering to the local Tesco filling station, which occupies a portion of the former Goods Yard.  

I'm guessing there must be many similar examples.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Rob

High Street is the most common (Main Street in Scotland) with ~3,600 examples.  Station Road is second, numbering ~2,000.  

That compares with 2,566 stations on the current network.  In 1955 however the number of open stations was approximately 6,000.   That suggests that there could now be more Station Roads without a functioning station, than those still with one!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

One local sign (in Rippingale) still has a signpost directing travellers to the Great Northern Railway Station! The line ceased carrying passengers in LNER days....................

Regards,

Tony. 

We have the opposite near here - sign to a station that has never existed. Over 40 years ago they announced plans for a station in Springfield near Chelmsford. 20ish years later an Aldi was built on the site. Good job we didn't hold our breath. Then they said the station would be built as part of a huge Legoland style housing estate a bit further north, named after the King Hnery VIII palace it ruins the environment of.

There's a signpost for it - 

918726978_WotStation.jpg.e3135035e0962dbf8fa331dc267b3ffa.jpg

I forget how many years they've been saying it's coming, but it's now pushed back to 2025 at the earliest. This should give an idea on the local attitude - 

41403496_10156696562559458_827991582098587648_n.jpg.d6ea0b786182decd0dc06f856dca1f9b.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

You missed a trick, though - forming the roof round a beer bottle (which you'd have had to empty first).

You completely lost me, the roof was already curved...and beers are always drunk, don’t you worry 

• Like 2