Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The LMS Coronations are a good case in point. Whilst credited to Bill Stanier, he played little if any part in the design beyond the initial concept, being overseas during the design phase. The detailed design was undertaken under the leadership of Tom Coleman.

Does the name Jock Finlayson mean anything to any of you?  When Richard Maunsell became the CME of the Southern Railway, he brought his cohort of bright young men from the SECR - Pearson, Clayton and Holcroft.  The latter two in particular were prolific authors and blowers of their own trumpets.  Finlayson had been Chief Draughtsman for the LSWR and continued on the Southern Railway for another decade and so planned the Arthurs, Nelsons and Schools.  He didn't write books, quietly got on with his job and so is little known today.  

Bill

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I wouldn't have wanted to live in that timber-built cottage if the M&GN catch-point had had to perform its intended function!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Modeller's licence, John,

The cottage is in the right place and so is the trap- (not catch-) point, but not relative to each other. If the scene were modelled accurately, the actual junction where the MR meets the M&GNR (at the 'box) should be some ten feet behind the camera. Not only that, the River Glen should run between the junction of Station Road and the road to Witham-on-the-Hill and the railway junction. I just don't have that amount of space. 

If I'd have settled on the MR/M&GNR being just a scenic break, then the anomaly wouldn't have arisen. However, it's a separate circuit. Compromise, even if inaccurate? It would also have meant no end-on railway junction or MR signal box being modelled. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

The decision to model Little Bytham Junction meant compromise, because of the necessary foreshortening.

An interesting dilemma. 'Absolute accuracy', or modelling scenes like this?

1222203612_D26213502.jpg.aa0e3be30c962b2d77a40678aa0f0a3d.jpg

Though the girder bridge was no great distance from the junction in reality, in this scene it's far too close. 

368356966_D26213502BW.jpg.ba4e050718c7165b21f06d197824d266.jpg

I wonder whether it's more redolent of the period (late-'40s/early-'50s) in B&W? 

806772846_D26213501.jpg.14656bbaad239f4cb871943a14c9f412.jpg

And, a closer view of the D3 (LRM/Wright/Haynes). This is not an enlargement of the previous shot, but with the camera moved just a bit nearer. 

I don't know which I prefer, if either.........

Edited by Tony Wright
because I don't know the difference between a D2 and a D3!!!!!!!!
  • Like 15

22 hours ago, resin001 said:

Is there an etch primer you can buy for use with an airbrush ?  - I use Halfords rattle can at the moment but would prefer the control of application achieved using my airbrush 

I've sprayed etch from a rattle can into the plastic can lid and then used this for brush painting. I know some do this and pour the paint into their airbrush. If you try this you must wear a spray mask as it can come back at you as you decant into the lid. To prevent the worst of this I cover over the lid with cling film and direct the nozzle under one edge of this. It's surprising that you don't need many squirts to get a useable amount of paint and it illustrates just how wasteful rattle cans are.

Alternatively you can buy tins of etch primer for car spraying. I've not tried this option but suspect the primer will need to be thinned. For example… 

https://www.advancedpaints.co.uk/product/clostermann-1k-etch-primer/

I use the rattle can version of this paint and think it's excellent on degreased really clean metal. It will etch into clean brass very well.

Edited by Anglian
Missing word
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The decision to model Little Bytham Junction meant compromise, because of the necessary foreshortening.

An interesting dilemma. 'Absolute accuracy', or modelling scenes like this?

1222203612_D26213502.jpg.aa0e3be30c962b2d77a40678aa0f0a3d.jpg

Though the girder bridge was no great distance from the junction in reality, in this scene it's far too close. 

I wonder whether it's more redolent of the period (late-'40s/early-'50s) in B&W? 

And, a closer view of the D3 (LRM/Wright/Haynes). This is not an enlargement of the previous shot, but with the camera moved just a bit nearer. 

I don't know which I prefer, if either.........

The three pics, to me at least, give the impression of being a little skew-whiff and leaning. Here I've straightened the first one a little just by some fine rotation and cropping (I hope you don't mind) although my Nikon camera has the facility to do a little editing including perspective control which might have better helped.

1222203612_D26213502.jpg.aa0e3be30c962b2d77a40678aa0f0a3d.jpg.111e02505ef1afb532b7b1c3441e3933.jpg

At least there's no tree or telegraph pole growing out of the loco funnel but the signalman does look like he's talking to the lamp head.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, grahame said:

The three pics, to me at least, give the impression of being a little skew-whiff and leaning. Here I've straightened the first one a little just by some fine rotation and cropping (I hope you don't mind) although my Nikon camera has the facility to do a little editing including perspective control which might have better helped.

1222203612_D26213502.jpg.aa0e3be30c962b2d77a40678aa0f0a3d.jpg.111e02505ef1afb532b7b1c3441e3933.jpg

At least there's no tree or telegraph pole growing out of the loco funnel but the signalman does look like he's talking to the lamp head.

I don't mind at all, Grahame,

What it does show is the scrutiny I come under, both with my modelling and my photography. 

'It comes with the territory......'

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tony

Will you be reviewing for BRM , the new Hornby large prairie , the BR black 61xx. I remember you building the Wills Finecast  model many years ago and will be interested in the comparison and of course your views.

34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Morning Tony

Will you be reviewing for BRM , the new Hornby large prairie , the BR black 61xx. I remember you building the Wills Finecast  model many years ago and will be interested in the comparison and of course your views.

Good morning Rob,

The short answer is, I don't know. 

Usually, it's Andy York or Howard Smith who do the reviews for BRM, with just the occasional one from me.

To some extent it's dependent on where the model is delivered to - Andy's house or the office. If it's the former, then Andy does it; if the latter, then Howard or I'll write them. I'll usually take the pictures if the model is delivered to the office. 

One thing I know I won't be reviewing are the forthcoming Thompson Pacifics from Hornby. Since I helped with the development of these models, it wouldn't be right for me to review them. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A couple more MR/M&GNR photos for this morning..................

139024569_2P4045401.jpg.12630b6375ce8b3319e4142016c5e6af.jpg

I think this picture works less well because the camera has cruelly highlighted the 'crudity' of OO Gauge in this head-on shot; even ostensibly FS OO. 

285340359_2P4045402.jpg.e5d7b55333745d2914a5b9f42d584d54.jpg

From this angle of the same 2P (Millholme/SEF/Wright) as in the previous shot, the crudity is not as apparent.

It would appear that a guard iron has gone missing from the tender (this sort of thing is usually only noticed by the camera), and the lighting has highlighted a bit of 'orange peel' effect on the ex-LMS carriage. Odd, considering it was painted by Larry Goddard. 

• Like 12

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I wouldn't have wanted to live in that timber-built cottage if the M&GN catch-point had had to perform its intended function!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John's quote above made me think of how many country folk lived even recently in homes similar to the ones in Tony's photographs. I fact my first home in Caythorpe in Lincolnshire was built with Corrugated Iron as a cladding, presumably on a timber sub-frame but who knows.

it was demolished  in about 2005 **  I seem to remember to make way for the present Doctors surgery which was completed in 2006.

I can't quite remember when. our Bungalow**  was actually demolished.

When we went out with my Father & Uncles by car to collect mushrooms from the fields (Scrumping ,I suppose ) we would always end up at  refreshment  premises, such as the "Willoughby "or "Welby Arms"   and I would be left outside with a bottle of "Vimto"

During these journeys it was quite common to see Timber homes including old Railway Coaches.

Central Heating was the Table where people gathered to Eat !!  Double Glazing would be glasses with both lenses intact.Running Water was where the roof leaked and the Water Closet would be in the grounds as far away from the Home to avoid the smell entering the home. This was England in the Mid 50's but they were great days looking back through my Rose tinted glasses.

Keep safe,Derek.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John's quote above made me think of how many country folk lived even recently in homes similar to the ones in Tony's photographs. I fact my first home in Caythorpe in Lincolnshire was built with Corrugated Iron as a cladding, presumably on a timber sub-frame but who knows.

it was demolished  in about 2005 **  I seem to remember to make way for the present Doctors surgery which was completed in 2006.

I can't quite remember when. our Bungalow**  was actually demolished.

When we went out with my Father & Uncles by car to collect mushrooms from the fields (Scrumping ,I suppose ) we would always end up at  refreshment  premises, such as the "Willoughby "or "Welby Arms"   and I would be left outside with a bottle of "Vimto"

During these journeys it was quite common to see Timber homes including old Railway Coaches.

Central Heating was the Table where people gathered to Eat !!  Double Glazing would be glasses with both lenses intact.Running Water was where the roof leaked and the Water Closet would be in the grounds as far away from the Home to avoid the smell entering the home. This was England in the Mid 50's but they were great days looking back through my Rose tinted glasses.

Keep safe,Derek.

Nice anecdotes, Derek,

Many thanks.

We believe the actual wooden dwellings depicted on the model LB were demolished in the early-'60s, but were lived in until then. They were originally built by the Midland Railway around 1897 (when the east-west line was opened) and were occupied by track gang men and their families. When they ceased to be railway properties, I don't know, but they ended up as private homes.

I have an amusing anecdote relating to one. I came home one lunchtime to find a couple taking photographs of the location immediately adjacent to the bridge in Station Road. They asked if I minded, which, of course, I didn't, and invited them in for a cup of tea. It turned out that one of the lady's great aunts had lived in the nearest cottage to the railway, and she wanted to see what the site was like now. Wonderfully, she had some pictures of her aunt and family, standing outside their wooden cottage. Obviously, the subject matter was the family group, but the details of the building behind were invaluable in my making of the models of the wooden dwellings - no visiting railway photographer bothered to take pictures of them, of course. She sent me copies of the pictures afterwards.

The pleasant visit concluded with her telling me the tale her aunt told her of when her aunt and family were sitting in their garden on one warm sunny summer Sunday afternoon in 1938. 'Suddenly, a train went past so fast - faster than anything we'd ever seen, and we had to scatter to escape the shower of sparks!' I wonder if it was July the 3rd, 1938?

Anecdotal evidence (sadly given by some of those no longer with us) has been vital in the building of Little Bytham.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I've now straightened both out..........

Much better......

Superb photography as always, Tony. Ironically, the original "un-straightened" shots, particularly the third close-up shot, looks really like snapped lineside shot of the era.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony

I think both the colour and B&W work well - the former shows a railway in the natural landscape; the latter as you might now see the scene in a book....

Regards 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2020 at 15:01, Daniel W said:

That GWR Tube was an absolute bargain for sure. The Ratio kit has been out of production for years and goes for over £20 on ebay.

This made me blow the dust off some unbuilt kits. If anyone wants a Ratio GWR tube C to build ( and I mean build not just put on your dusty unbuilt wagon shelf) this one is available, as is a coke wagon and a small hopper. Rather than eBay swallowing up the auction fees to bank in Luxemburg, in return send Tony a donation to his CRUK fund. Postage is on me.

Mike Wiltshire

Ratios.jpg.5c6408b4545e8d901b4e2b7bbef6f532.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This is one of best photos of LB that I've ever seen (so far...).

Hi Tony, are those buttresses still at the end of your garden or have they been removed?

Regards

Peter

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

41945834_4F44519A160119.jpg.5e8d5370bc0dc886831ed34546ac9456.jpg

As stated earlier, this is an excellent shot of this end of the layout.  I'm almost afraid to mention this but, for me, the scenery on the back scene is too bright.  Given that colour fades in to the distance and the muted colours of the 3D scenery, the back scene jars just a little...

John

• Thanks 1