Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, petrovich said:

Hi Tony, are those buttresses still at the end of your garden or have they been removed?

Regards

Peter

I believe they're still there, Peter, though invisible behind rampant Mother Nature.

Regards,

Tony. 

15 minutes ago, johndon said:

As stated earlier, this is an excellent shot of this end of the layout.  I'm almost afraid to mention this but, for me, the scenery on the back scene is too bright.  Given that colour fades in to the distance and the muted colours of the 3D scenery, the back scene jars just a little...

John

I've considered that John,

However, the colours are taken from a photograph I took in high summer. 

The 'distance' isn't that much at all - because the railway runs along the west side of the shallow Glen Valley, the horizon is only a quarter of a mile and half a mile away. So, there's no aerial or atmospheric perspective present. 

The embankments (being the best-drained and formed mainly of limestone) have the lightest greenery, and I just painted the backscene to match the tints in the picture and those of the level ground. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

This made me blow the dust off some unbuilt kits. If anyone wants a Ratio GWR tube C to build ( and I mean build not just put on your dusty unbuilt wagon shelf) this one is available, as is a coke wagon and a small hopper. Rather than eBay swallowing up the auction fees to bank in Luxemburg, in return send Tony a donation to his CRUK fund. Postage is on me.

Mike Wiltshire

Ratios.jpg.5c6408b4545e8d901b4e2b7bbef6f532.jpg

I already have one of the Open C's and have no interest in the Coke wagon. But the Hopper would be very useful for the Iron Ore/ Limestone hopper train i want to build. I will happily paypal Tony for the kit, or a BACs transfer or a cheque if need be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I already have one of the Open C's and have no interest in the Coke wagon. But the Hopper would be very useful for the Iron Ore/ Limestone hopper train i want to build. I will happily paypal Tony for the kit, or a BACs transfer or a cheque if need be.

For general information, Daniel,

Since I have no idea about internet banking (though Mo does), if anyone wishes to make any contribution to CRUK, one way is to send a cheque (by carrier pigeon?) to: Trudy Stammer, Head of Volunteer Fundraising, Cancer Research UK, P.O. Box 1561, Oxford OX4 9GZ

As I mentioned earlier, I've sent very little during the lockdown, though recent donations of locos by two chums has meant over £150.00 being sent in one form or another last week. Thanks Ron and thanks George.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

This made me blow the dust off some unbuilt kits. If anyone wants a Ratio GWR tube C to build ( and I mean build not just put on your dusty unbuilt wagon shelf) this one is available, as is a coke wagon and a small hopper. Rather than eBay swallowing up the auction fees to bank in Luxemburg, in return send Tony a donation to his CRUK fund. Postage is on me.

Mike Wiltshire

Ratios.jpg.5c6408b4545e8d901b4e2b7bbef6f532.jpg

Many thanks for your generosity, Mike.

Another RMwebber is donating something as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grob1234 said:

Hello.

I believe it was asked 'what have you made during lockdown?'

Well, not as much as I would have liked, ideally. Now this is a little O/T but I know Tony, that you like model ships too... so I think a pic or 2 is permissable? This is my interpretation of HMS KGV in 1/700 scale and mounted on a sea base.

IMG_6002.jpg.6f8f58ab0286c0862946485c414bf994.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg.c6629521c4bd761cd81949a359d4437b.jpg

And here, to qualify my post, is some progress on my C1. Sloshed a bit of paint on, now just some lining to do. The tender is treated in a similar manner. The green might look a bit 'off' but thats my camera phone.

IMG_6011.jpg.281eddb531579b4bcb732e7dd377a029.jpg

Great stuff Tom,

Many thanks for showing us.

I love the KGV (and the C1). I saw one of the surviving four of her class, but I don't know which one it was. It was a year or two before the Liverpool Overhead Railway closed, and my dad took my brother and me for a ride on it from the Pier Head as far as Brunswick. In one of the docks was a KGV. It could have been KGV, ANSON, HOWE or DUKE OF YORK, because they were all in reserve. 

Does anyone know which one I saw? It was definitely a KGV battleship. I remember that quadruple front (and rear) turret vividly. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

Saw your article on building the Isinglass pigeon van in BRM recently and thought I would purchase one. Very pleased overall but a question please. The resin parts have an oily feel which I suspect is to do with the 3D printing process. Did you clean your model before painting? And if so, what did you use ?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I love the KGV (and the C1). I saw one of the surviving four of her class, but I don't know which one it was. It was a year or two before the Liverpool Overhead Railway closed, and my dad took my brother and me for a ride on it from the Pier Head as far as Brunswick. In one of the docks was a KGV. It could have been KGV, ANSON, HOWE or DUKE OF YORK, because they were all in reserve. 

Does anyone know which one I saw? It was definitely a KGV battleship. I remember that quadruple front (and rear) turret vividly. 

Almost certainly not HMS HOWE as this was broken up at Inverkeithing; there would have been no reason to go via Liverpool from Devonport where she had been paid off.  The others seem to been in Gairloch prior to scrapping, so would have had reason to be travelling up the Irish Sea route.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Hi Tony

Saw your article on building the Isinglass pigeon van in BRM recently and thought I would purchase one. Very pleased overall but a question please. The resin parts have an oily feel which I suspect is to do with the 3D printing process. Did you clean your model before painting? And if so, what did you use ?

Good evening Roger,

I didn't actually clean the resin parts with anything; just roughened up any mating bits with emery paper and/or a fibreglass propelling pencil (to give any adhesive a key).

Prior to painting, I just brushed everything down to make sure there was no detritus. It seemed to work, and the Halfords rattle can paint (red oxide primer and Ford Burgundy Red) adhered just fine. 

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Gosh - this thread moves on at a rate, and it is thoroughly enjoyable. I've been away from the computer for a couple of days. I do like the below rail level photos, we all must have been on occasion looking up at a train on a higher level and be impressed by it. I was experimenting a whole back on Heyside, and I do like the natural viewpoint photos. The Brian Monaghan style has it's place as an overall description of a model, but in the quest for realism an eye level view is the one for me. These pictures are raw and  not photoshopped so I hope you will excuse the socket in the background! I was just playing around to see what could be achieved. This was some time before this end of the layout was 'finished'...

P1000133.JPG.19f02e04514a78e1e3c7e9ee44b7a6d8.JPG

P1000126.JPG.ee0c6316857e6f37b924e1cd498e655d.JPG

Best Regards

Tony

Very atmospheric, Tony. 

And, very realistic. 

It's amazing how model railway photography has moved on, even in the years I've been doing it. Do you remember my photographing your work during the early days of BRM? With a camera the size of two house bricks (and probably just as heavy), and massive lights. 

With digital, it's now so much easier, especially with weenie cameras which seem to be able to be plonked anywhere. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 1

Speaking of model railway photography, one set of views I've not really been able to get on LB is from the top of the embankment on the west side, adjacent to the station.

This evening, I've just rigged up a little wooden platform on which to place the camera, clamped to the baseboard's edge. I'll see how I get on tomorrow...............................

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Nautically inclined friend (CPO) is sure it would have been HMS Vanguard. 'Western Approaches' were mentioned. I know nothing of such matters, just passing on an answer...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, James Fitzjames said:

Nautically inclined friend (CPO) is sure it would have been HMS Vanguard. 'Western Approaches' were mentioned. I know nothing of such matters, just passing on an answer...

But HMS VANGUARD had a triple turret, not a quad which Tony remembers.....

46 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

But HMS VANGUARD had a triple turret, not a quad which Tony remembers.....

Vanguard had 4 x twin 15inch so couldn't have been Vanguard.

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Hello.

I believe it was asked 'what have you made during lockdown?'

Well, not as much as I would have liked, ideally. Now this is a little O/T but I know Tony, that you like model ships too... so I think a pic or 2 is permissable? This is my interpretation of HMS KGV in 1/700 scale and mounted on a sea base.

I used to love playing with ships in the bath like that...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dibateg said:

These pictures are raw and  not photoshopped so I hope you will excuse the socket in the background!

If you hadn't mentioned the socket I probably wouldn't have noticed it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh, I meant to say both pictures taken with my Digital SLR - a Panasonic DMC-G2. I should really get around to upgrading it.

That KGV is excellent - I wonder how you keep the dust off?

Best Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, dibateg said:

3 minutes ago, dibateg said:

That KGV is excellent - I wonder how you keep the dust off?

Best Regards

Tony

Good question..any animinitronics esperts out there? Scale matelot with bucket and mop?

But it is a very nice model

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

38 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Oh, I meant to say both pictures taken with my Digital SLR - a Panasonic DMC-G2. I should really get around to upgrading it.

I don't think the DMC G2 is a DSLR but rather a mirror-less micro four thirds system camera with interchangeable lenses, but could be wrong.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, grahame said:

I don't think the DMC G2 is a DSLR but rather a mirror-less micro four thirds system camera with interchangeable lenses, but could be wrong.

Excuse me?  That didn't even part my hair as it went over my head!

Cameras have clearly changed a bit since I last bought one.  I must Google that to find out what it is.

Pete T.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, grahame said:

Good grief!   That sounds very millennial... do you drink decaf skinny triple-shot mocha latte’s as well?

• Funny 8

44 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Good grief!   That sounds very millennial... do you drink decaf skinny triple-shot mocha latte’s as well?

Nope, I drink a far superior beverage - tea, which I make in a pot with loose leaves.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5