Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

57 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

I am sorry that you feel that way. Having just been preparing a class on arguments for the existence of God for my Bible Class this Sunday, and working on one on the reliability of the Bible for the following week, I would not agree with you, though I fully respect your right to that point of view. Unfortunately, in too many churches these days it is little if anything more than superstition.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,

And I respect your point of view. 

That said, and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place, I don't think a model railway thread is the place to discuss religion, or belief. Or politics, or the weather?

What I would say (hypocrisy, having just stated the above) is I would campaign for a Bible to be on everyone's bookshelf (there are two on mine); as long as there was a copy of The God Delusion as well. 

I'll say no more on the matter, and I hope, that's it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Lloyd,

And I respect your point of view. 

That said, and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place, I don't think a model railway thread is the place to discuss religion, or belief. Or politics, or the weather?

What I would say (hypocrisy, having just stated the above) is I would campaign for a Bible to be on everyone's bookshelf (there are two on mine); as long as there was a copy of The God Delusion as well. 

I'll say no more on the matter, and I hope, that's it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Beautifully put, Tony, in my opinion.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PJT said:

Agreed. I was hesitant to say anything, but I felt that a (hopefully) polite response was necessary.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

And supposedly, there are around 100 JCBs entombed in these deep basements that have been dug out for swimming pools, private cinemas and so on, because it is less expensive just to leave them in place.

Give it a few thousand years and these will be dug up and displayed as evidence that Terminator was real, here are the fossils of the early machines.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Tony, as a former teacher you will appreciate the situation that affected the profession when I was at school in the 80s.

We did a school trip to Germany without too much trouble but one evening, two lads (they were idiots) climbed on the roof of the chalets where we were staying.  They weren't hurt and nothing was damaged but they got an earful from the teachers.

Not long after we returned to the UK, there was the tragic accident where two children on a school trip died when they fell over the cliffs at Lands End.  The teachers were prosecuted and my German teacher vowed never to run a school trip again as he felt there were so many things outside his control, but which he could potentially be ruined for not preventing.

Elf 'n' Safety gets the blame for this, when really it is down to the legal profession and (not in this genuinely serious case where children actually died) parents smelling the compensation payments.  The teaching profession rightly defends itself in the only way it can, by avoiding anything remotely risky, hence the stories of schools banning the playing of conkers etc.

Rob

Good evening Rob,

When I look back at some of the outings I supervised as a teacher (starting 50 years ago), I squirm at how 'irresponsible' I must appear by today's standards. 

Taking a 'crocodile' of youngsters along the busy streets of Birkenhead, along to the baths. I was 'appointed' male swimming coach. How? I was male, I was young and I could swim! Granted, there were lifeguards in attendance, but one could hardly say I was thoroughly prepared.

Taking 5th and 6th formers (I've no idea what the current description is) from my art classes to London each year to see exhibitions at the RA, The National Gallery and The Tate, by train; from Wolverhampton. And, giving them an hour and a half to themselves at lunchtime - in central London. I only ever 'lost' one, and he was a teacher assisting me! 

Because the 'trip' purse strings were controlled by the lovely lady who taught 3C, I had to take the boys of that 'remedial' class with me as well. Rather than risk damaging our nation's treasures, I always took a football with me, and, whilst my artists absorbed the beauties of masterpieces, I'd 'referee' a 3C football match on the nearest green patch - by the Houses of Parliament, one day! 

The same football matches also took place outside Elgar's birthplace and Worcester Cathedral, as the boys of 3C were in my charge. 

Happy days! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Agreed. I was hesitant to say anything, but I felt that a (hopefully) polite response was necessary.

Lloyd

It was a 'most-polite' response, Lloyd,

And my thanks for that. 

Typical of a man of 'faith'. 

I wonder, is that why many of my responses are not polite? 

Would you believe (and this is the last time I'll ever mention it) I reached the rank of Senior Server at my local Anglican village church near Wolverhampton, officiating at the sacraments? 

Please keep this quiet! 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

A bit late to the party.

When I was a teenager I started to ride a bike. I joined the local cycling club and started racing. I did fairly well ending up around the top 50 nationally. Good but not brilliant. When I was 17 I started to ride races a distance from home and I was warned about dodgy people. There was one person in particular who I was informed "liked young boys". At this time there was no question about any police involvement in such matters. I knew the chap for around 45 years and neither I nor other local riders were ever approached by him and no action was ever taken. He mentored many good riders and it was accepted that what he did elsewhere was no concern of any body. That was the way of the world back then. I knew Jimmy Saville when he was known in cycling circles as Oscar Saville. Again I never came across any bad behaviour from him. I think that was how he got away with things for so long, as so many people new him as a good guy. There was one chap who was a top international cyclist with a reputation as a womaniser. It was many years later that I found out that this was all a front and his main "interest" was  very young boys. Again he was never investigated. Fortunately things are very different these days. I do think that young people are more vulnerable than my generation was and protection is required through active safeguarding.

Bernard 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, GH in EM and O said:

A busy morning today, priming six locos, all built by Tony. I think that is the most I have done in one go, and as many as I can fit in the drying propagators. 

DSCN2953.JPG

DSCN2954.JPG

Great work, Geoff,

Thanks for showing us. 

That Metro does look gorgeous with your painting; and I built the body on that as well. 

Jesse will be happy to see his C2 under way with painting, as, I'm sure, will be the guy I built the J6 for. 

I'm doing a little piece called 'Lockdown Locomotives' for BRM, and some of these will be included. 

There's another A3 here for you to paint as well. I'll paint the J17. Not only that, you should soon have a GWR 2-4-2T to paint as well!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GH in EM and O said:

A busy morning today, priming six locos, all built by Tony. I think that is the most I have done in one go, and as many as I can fit in the drying propagators. 

DSCN2953.JPG

DSCN2954.JPG

It would be frantastic to see the various stages of 'paintedness' documented here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Great work, Geoff,

Thanks for showing us. 

That Metro does look gorgeous with your painting; and I built the body on that as well. 

That would be the Metro you had with you at the Wells show, Tony? I brought along Dave Stone

to cast his eye over it and he was most impressed.

I was a bit surprised at the jaunty angle of the brake handle in the bunker, until you and Dave discussed

the correctness of it.

Al

22 hours ago, john new said:

I think there are two different strands running concurrently and this is a very sweeping generalisation to which there will always be exceptions:-

1) Those of us who fit the mould of the join clubs/societies & volunteer generation (pre war thro' to baby boomers) - in the main ageing and being replaced by a much smaller % of those younger than us.

2) Modellers and rail enthusiasts younger than set (1) - possibly a smaller absolute number, just as keen, but they don't join physical societies in the way set (1) people did, they buy in services rather than contribute by volunteering and via the internet get and share what they need. Modern life is different and I know from the circumstances of younger members of the family that it isn't that young people are lazy, their whole life pattern is now 24/7 not 9-5 and club activities can't necessarily fit or be afforded.

I am terribly afraid that the COVID thing will be the end for many clubs.  Many were on the decline before, now I wonder how many members will come back once restrictions are lifted.   I say once they are lifted, but I suspect it will be at least eighteen months to  two years before some restrictions like social distancing will be eliminated.  I base this statement on extrapolation of data from countries like Germany, Italy, France and China.  With social distancing how will club layouts be constructed and how much fun will it be to have a beer a cuppa when you are 6' apart?   Then there are the shows.  If the clubs fold how many will survive, especially after a gap of 18months or longer?   Although from a personal perspective I have believed for some time that there were too many shows resulting in a decline of quality, so the shows that do survive might be much better and might actually have a beneficial result for the hobby.   How might you say do I reach that possible conclusion?   When there were only a few shows each year I can remember going to one of these shows and coming back with a renewed sense of enthusiasm because they were a special event to be looked forward to and the shows were good.  With the multitude of shows that were I don't think I felt that sense of renewal. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

That would be the Metro you had with you at the Wells show, Tony? I brought along Dave Stone

to cast his eye over it and he was most impressed.

I was a bit surprised at the jaunty angle of the brake handle in the bunker, until you and Dave discussed

the correctness of it.

Al

It is the one Al,

The class is a bit of a minefield to say the least. 

In the end, Geoff had to do a few alterations to make it 'accurate' for the period - 1907; representative of a loco 113 years ago! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Hello Tony, I hope that you and all the forum members are well.

I was a lucky chap the other day in being presented with a Dapol Garter Blue A4 'Sea Eagle' for my birthday. The loco was a 'NQP' returned item that had additional discounts added which made it too good to pass up. However my collection of RTR A4s already includes 'Sea Eagle' so a new identity was required. Therefore I've been distracted from the C1s for the last 24hours.

Below is how the loco arrived and the current state of play.

1779550981_A4andHall.jpg.0f0bcc0a973934a93568537d90082e3a.jpg

156299762_SilverLinkbasicpainting.jpg.6a5ecb586af8172d24ca0fac054d3db0.jpg

The A4 will likely become Silver Link; accepting that the tender isn't quite right.

• Like 16

I think I can just remember the weekly Mother Shopping Train from Louth to Grimsby on a Friday I think.   All the Mothers with their respective offspring together with their Prams would be on the platform.  The train would come in, Prams would be loaded into the Guards Vans, babies, children and mothers into the non corridor coaches and off they went to the next stop eventually arriving in Grimsby.  Then down to the Bull-Ring Market, other places of exotic merchandise (Chambers) and coffee at Guy and Smiths (Carrol's at Christmas, Hyms at Easter).  The reverse process occuring in the afternoon.  If you are still with me, these Mothers Shopping Trains would be headed by one of Louth'c C12 and I have been procrastinating for some time about building one for a trip down a very vague memory lane.   So all the stuff on here about C12s pushed me into pricing one out.  Did I ever get a surprise?   Compared to the price of some of the newer stuff a kit and all the bits and pieces is actually very reasonable.  It looks like I have found my winter project.

• Like 8

Just now, Barry Ten said:

On with the connecting rod, crosshead and drop link - on this side only. That's an evening's work for me and I've learned to quit while things are going well!

fowler4.jpg.81a9974dcc1a3149a20eb991d28dbdec.jpg

I hope not - but is the front end a little high? How does the buffer centre height compare with other stock?

At this stage, a little work on the running plate / cylinder interface may be very productive if the buffers prove to be too high.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

Tony and others,

i have a soldering question.  I’ve fired up my iron, to 365-400C, polished the brass I’m soldering with a fibre glass pencil until it looks shiny.  I’ve added a good dollop of phosphoric acid flux.  When I take the solder onto the tip and apply it to the brass, the iron and solder blob ‘sticks’ to the brass.  From prior soldering, and I’ve not done any for a while, I don’t recall this pronounced sticking.  After a few seconds, it will melt but then spreads reluctantly, though it will spread and I can see that the solder has spread through the joint.  Is this sticking normal or am I (re)making a rookie error?

thanks

David

• RMweb Gold
Just now, cctransuk said:

I hope not - but is the front end a little high? How does the buffer centre height compare with other stock?

At this stage, a little work on the running plate / cylinder interface may be very productive if the buffers prove to be too high.

John Isherwood.

it's interesting. I've already lowered the cylinders slightly compared to Comet's design as I also felt the front end was a little high. But now

the top of the Comet frame is exactly in line with the forward footplate (in front of the tanks) so I don't want to lower the cylinders any more.

What is possibly adding to the issue is that I need to pack up the rear a little more; at the moment it's just sitting on several layers of plastic

between the frames and the underneath of the cab. Once I get the back up a bit, the front will look a bit lower. But as for the buffers, this

is almost certainly one of the Hornby models where the buffers are set high to clear the tension lock.

12 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Tony and others,

i have a soldering question.  I’ve fired up my iron, to 365-400C, polished the brass I’m soldering with a fibre glass pencil until it looks shiny.  I’ve added a good dollop of phosphoric acid flux.  When I take the solder onto the tip and apply it to the brass, the iron and solder blob ‘sticks’ to the brass.  From prior soldering, and I’ve not done any for a while, I don’t recall this pronounced sticking.  After a few seconds, it will melt but then spreads reluctantly, though it will spread and I can see that the solder has spread through the joint.  Is this sticking normal or am I (re)making a rookie error?

thanks

David

Hi David,

That sounds like a wattage issue with the iron.  The temperature drops when it and the solder encounters the cold brass and the iron is not powerful enough to either retain or regain heat.  

Alan

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Tony and others,

thanks

David

It can happen putting hot solder onto cold brass. The brass is causing the solder to freeze until the soldering iron puts enough heat in to melt it again. It usually happens, as has been said, with a low wattage iron and a thick bit of brass. You haven't said what the power of your iron is or whether the brass is big or small but I would guess it is a low wattage iron. When I have had similar problems I don't put the solder on the tip of the iron. That is supposed to be bad practice anyway but many people do it without problems. Put the iron onto the brass, with a well tinned top for a good "wet" contact, which transfers heat better. After a little while apply the solder to the brass just where the tip of the iron is. If it melts and runs, you have enough heat in the brass.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Tony and others,

thanks

David

What tempertature solder are you using and how thicj is the brass?

@Buhar @Paul Cram @t-b-g Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.  I’ll experiment a bit more tomorrow.  The iron is an antex 50w one so I’m surprised it doesn’t have the heft to reheat quickly.  However, checking the web, that model has some variable reviews...  the brass is an 4mm comet chassis so not that thick.  Solder is 145 degree Carr’s (unless I’ve put it in the wrong pack at some point !)

David

9 hours ago, GH in EM and O said:

DSCN2953.JPG

DSCN2954.JPG

G'day Folks

With that many loco's to paint, do you use a 'Roller' or a six inch brush..........:)

manna

• Funny 9