Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I agree Tony, I had the 3080? Gal tender with it and I thought exactly the same as you did, makes it look weirdly wonderful. 

It is strange to think that before the J11 appeared, that was the GCR's loco for their heaviest coal and goods trains. There are photos of them with enormous loads on the London Extension between it opening and there being enough J11s to cover the work. I have 3 in GCR livery, two from Buckingham and one I built years ago from a Magna Models kit. Plus I have one or maybe 2 DJH ones stashed away unbuilt. So maybe that tells you how much I like them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Chris,

I love these prototype comparison photos and your’s demonstrate that you’re getting very close to the real Richmond. Great work! I’d just say that the ladder in the background of the second photo looks slightly overscale! 

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you, I really enjoyed using the stock for the comparison shots, I need to get hold of some editing software(or ask my wife to hold up a large sheet of white paper/card behind the layout) to hide the ladders. I'm keeping an eye out for more photos of Richmond so that I can do a couple more. There a couple of a K1 shunting the goods yard, but they will be while coming as the goods yard is still a 'building site'!

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grahame said:

Nice. 

For me modelling a real location is about capturing the atmosphere and character of it, which you appear to be doing. IMO it's more about the feel of the place rather than absolute accuracy which can lead to a sterile and contrived look. Many real locations can be recognisable without it having to be faithfully replicated in microscopic detail.

Some detail and structure can be hinted at (to trick the viewer) rather than to slavishly model the real world. Certainly distance and the world beyond the modelling space available is something that has to be suggested (and carefully incorporated). And sometimes what is left out can be as important as what is included.

Thank you Grahame.

There are some things that I really need to change to make it look more realistic, changing the first stanchion for something that looks more like an ornate cast iron post and less like part of a garden plant growing pole! The station roof is in dire need of replacement, the last 45 years haven't been the kindest to it unfortunately. 

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Back to the Bytham V2s........................

1902207505_V2King60837.jpg.1e9feee090e9da204257e471ab3365d5.jpg

Two of LB's V2s are derived from Graeme King's one-piece resin bodies on top of Comet frames, towing a Bachmann tender (this one is all my work). I think they make-up splendidly, though I don't know if Graeme still sells the bodies.

The Resin lists I received from Graeme back in Dec 2019 suggest that the V2 mould is life expired (back in 2016, in fact) and has yet to be replaced.

Re: V2s and footplating

Here are some pictures taken earlier this year.

(Apologies for the quality - not really used to this mobile yet)

The first picture (LH below) is of the new P2 being assembled in Darlington. The way RM posts the pictures (which I struggle with) the adjacent picture (RH below) is of our sole remaining V2. Both of course, as I pointed out above somewhere have 6'2" (nominal) driving wheels.

I do have more pictures showing more details but of variable quality!

Post_15.jpg.7b0d1311c4c875c40c26274808e67f9c.jpgPost_13.jpg.ae58212fcbb317454f58e51471168726.jpgPost_11.jpg.0bdec141b7bff2029d5139bd04c05730.jpg

Post_12.jpg

Post_14.jpg

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks,

One picture also shows the off-set nature of the lubricators. Apart from the forthcoming Bachmann V2, all the others I've seen (and built) have the lubricators in line (incorrectly?). 

I wonder whether the Finney kit accommodates this off-set feature? Perhaps Doug will tell us. 

The pictures also show the tiny, 'internal' splashers. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Re: V2s and footplating

Here are some pictures taken earlier this year.

(Apologies for the quality - not really used to this mobile yet)

The first picture (LH below) is of the new P2 being assembled in Darlington. The way RM posts the pictures (which I struggle with) the adjacent picture (RH below) is of our sole remaining V2. Both of course, as I pointed out above somewhere have 6'2" (nominal) driving wheels.

I do have more pictures showing more details but of variable quality!

Post_15.jpg.7b0d1311c4c875c40c26274808e67f9c.jpgPost_13.jpg.ae58212fcbb317454f58e51471168726.jpgPost_11.jpg.0bdec141b7bff2029d5139bd04c05730.jpg

Post_12.jpg

Post_14.jpg

Why is the prototype HST power car there I thought it was with 125 group?

Mention of the V2s' internal splashers and lubricators has prompted me to take the following pictures........................

873304433_CrownlineV2internalsplashers.jpg.16302e9161bd3f2c638bea6a07083045.jpg

They were included in the Crownline kit, and I certainly fitted the splashers.

1578681446_JohnHouldenV2internalsplashers.jpg.fcbbdb3b41b6395d73e3ab4d1c344bda.jpg

John Houlden also made/fitted them on his hybrid V2.

717828387_JamiesonV2nosplashers.jpg.6f356b567d50e61704e26fd031ae6c3d.jpg

However, no such splasher niceties on a Jamieson V2. Mind you, I made this over 40 years ago and probably was ignorant of their existence back then. 

307992667_KingV2nosplashers.jpg.d5da4c3a8873e69b9eca78292375e596.jpg

No splashers present on a Graeme King V2, either. Though the beading around where they fit is present. 

1005811417_Nu-CastV2nosplashers.jpg.2f983ccf3fa656669275e01b86bbad3b.jpg

That beading (or at least a raised central section) is present on a Nu-Cast example, but there are no splashers.

Note the different positions of the lubricators on all these models, some dictated by the holes for them being provided.; none, it would appear, being right! 

I have to say, I wonder whether or not the provision of V2 splashers is an example of 'super-detailing'. I'll explain; even to be able to just see these, I've had to elevate the camera and fire pulses of powerful flash towards the boiler/footplate conjunction. Otherwise, it's just deep shadow. 

Under normal layout lighting and normal viewing conditions, one cannot tell if they're even there.

Any thoughts? 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MJI said:

Why is the prototype HST power car there I thought it was with 125 group?

The NRM did not renew the contract. There was some controversy over it as the NRM accused the 125 group of not doing something right. I don't know the details but it's a sad affair.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

The NRM did not renew the contract. There was some controversy over it as the NRM accused the 125 group of not doing something right. I don't know the details but it's a sad affair.

Pity as they got it working.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Mention of the V2s' internal splashers and lubricators has prompted me to take the following pictures........................

873304433_CrownlineV2internalsplashers.jpg.16302e9161bd3f2c638bea6a07083045.jpg

They were included in the Crownline kit, and I certainly fitted the splashers.

1578681446_JohnHouldenV2internalsplashers.jpg.fcbbdb3b41b6395d73e3ab4d1c344bda.jpg

John Houlden also made/fitted them on his hybrid V2.

717828387_JamiesonV2nosplashers.jpg.6f356b567d50e61704e26fd031ae6c3d.jpg

However, no such splasher niceties on a Jamieson V2. Mind you, I made this over 40 years ago and probably was ignorant of their existence back then. 

No splashers present on a Graeme King V2, either. Though the beading around where they fit is present. 

1005811417_Nu-CastV2nosplashers.jpg.2f983ccf3fa656669275e01b86bbad3b.jpg

That beading (or at least a raised central section) is present on a Nu-Cast example, but there are no splashers.

Note the different positions of the lubricators on all these models, some dictated by the holes for them being provided.; none, it would appear, being right! 

I have to say, I wonder whether or not the provision of V2 splashers is an example of 'super-detailing'. I'll explain; even to be able to just see these, I've had to elevate the camera and fire pulses of powerful flash towards the boiler/footplate conjunction. Otherwise, it's just deep shadow. 

Under normal layout lighting and normal viewing conditions, one cannot tell if they're even there.

Any thoughts? 

Tony,

Sorry to change the subject, but I’m intrigued by your point rodding! What is it made from? I attempted to make some using the Wills point rodding kit, it didn’t look too bad, but as I’ve altered the track layout on Richmond I’ve had to rip most of it up. The Wills rodding is really fiddly and on the fragile side, so I wondered what alternatives are out there.....

Chris

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Any thoughts? 

What particularly interests me is not just the splashers but the angled infill of plating between the footplate and the frames. Perhaps this might make a model structure a bit difficult!

Since this element of Doncaster design was clearly carried on from the V2 to the P2s, what happened with the A2/1s, A2/3s? Did they retain this through their re-builds? And what of the 'new design' A2/3s and the Peppercorn A2s?

One of the aspects of locomotive engineering that I find fascinating is the way that design practice continued, even if the CME changed.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, drmditch said:

One of the aspects of locomotive engineering that I find fascinating is the way that design practice continued, even if the CME changed.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it...." ;)

Sadly, engineering history shows that many are not aware of this basic rule.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

You might know he would cut corners, just to be able to cast the body shell more easily in one piece....

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

39 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Tony,

Sorry to change the subject, but I’m intrigued by your point rodding! What is it made from? I attempted to make some using the Wills point rodding kit, it didn’t look too bad, but as I’ve altered the track layout on Richmond I’ve had to rip most of it up. The Wills rodding is really fiddly and on the fragile side, so I wondered what alternatives are out there.....

Chris

No need to apologise Chris,

You're clearly a new 'recruit' to Wright Writes, because, about eight/nine weeks ago, I completed all the 32' of point rodding on Little Bytham, illustrating it all (goodness knows how many pages that was ago!).

I did experiment with some of the Wills rodding, but it's huge for 4mm - nearer 7mm, if anything. It's so 'fat', it won't squeeze underneath SMP plain track. 

What I used was MSE components - cast metal stools, nickel silver rodding (round and square) and etched cranks and compensators. Where the runs went under the rails, I used plastic section to obviate the risk of short circuits. All the metal bits were soldered together. Fiddly, time-consuming but really worth it.

These pictures were shown when it was finished....................

519215883_pointrodding4060905.jpg.2996759e62577445c32e9a4bedf02882.jpg

706015562_pointrodding49Tees-TynePullman.jpg.afa8b6c10fb99f4a413a05684a30c340.jpg

908041637_pointrodding5060800.jpg.bbee77a5b702b9ba510c5cec2b8de55f.jpg

450460416_pointrodding5160800.jpg.20f098837c9585355a28494aa9afce4b.jpg

1134394695_pointrodding5260943.jpg.0ebcfabd0991e27a187d34759ff7c538.jpg

576969335_pointrodding5360943.jpg.ddf59654d48113df1bd79dd99b4242ee.jpg

I took these pictures at the end of March, and my apologies to those who think they're just repetition, but how far back it was on Wright Writes, I have no idea.

Some of the recently-featured V2s are shown.

I must admit to having developed a bit of a zeal regarding point rodding. I now consider it as essential as (working) signals, even though, in itself, it's really only dummy. Any layout without it now, I consider 'unfinished' (not that any layout is ever really completed) and lacking in essential detail. 

Mind you, I don't recommend making over 30' of the stuff in one go!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, gr.king said:

You might know he would cut corners, just to be able to cast the body shell more easily in one piece....

'Cut corners', Graeme?

Even so, it's still one of the most-accurate V2 bodies on the market, and thanks for making them. Compared with the original Bachmann bloated thing, it's in a different class! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Over Christmas I had a go at pushing myself to see if I could do a 3D printed V2 body on the Photon printer. I just wanted to prove I could do it. Due to limitations with the machine the body had to be printed in two pieces and joined. Really must try painting these up:

IMG_1614.JPG.ea1cb75d14212661b91f8b90b069d797.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG.1f9041e664d79a0c1078f3cb9f9b2337.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG.6198e254e2bcb1a042b5d7173f374bbd.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG.ada41efa764ee4f0ad3eb735c1879cb9.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG.0b821583b7fb02aef9a9bb63359518ab.JPG

It looks excellent Mike,

Are you considering selling them at any point.

You've certainly put a silk purse on top of a sow's ear - am I right in assuming you won't be retaining that chassis?

Regards,

Tony. 

Re: Lockdown Projects

And speaking of V2s, part of my recent activities have involved this:-

This is attempt to model an NER Central Division Type C2c signal cabin. I'm using pictures of Springfield cabin, just north of Darlington, (which was the junction for the RSH works) and also of Castleton on the Esk Valley Line.

The background book is 'Darlington-Leamside-Newcastle' by Roger Darsley (one of the Middleton Press Eastern Main Line series).

Post_02.jpg

Post_01a.jpg

The roof is going to be interesting!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

48 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Click on photo for Flickr link.

FMCCS155 60135 at Little Bytham

Thanks Michael,

Great picture!

It's taken just north of the MR/M&GNR overbridge, probably in later 1959 or 1960 (I can't see any electric warning flashes on MADGE WILDFIRE), with the station demolished, so the east/west route is probably already closed. Interestingly, it looks like the smoke deflector over the Down slow has already been removed. 

Who was it who implied that the telegraph pole I'd installed on the layout next to the bridge was too low?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

I wish I could sell the body but it is not really commercially viable unless I print a few bodies off and put them on ebay on a first come basis. The downside from your point of view is there is minimum room to add weight.

Thanks Mike,

If you decide to market them, may I be among the first-comers, please?

Is the body mainly solid? Even so, it should be possible to cut out a slot underneath it for ballast. Or, if it's an original Bachmann split chassis it's sitting on (which it looks like), then there must be a big slot there anyway.  'Liquid Lead' in that, and it'll be able to pull plenty (though not with that chassis).

Regards,

Tony. 

And not relevant to anything above, are the books I was using to prop up my signal cabin in my previous post.

(With the speed of this thread that is now quite a number of posts away!)

These are absolutely fascinating. Published in 1925, content comes from several famous names, such as James Milne and Sir Felix Pole from the GWR, and even the Rt. Hon. J.H. Thomas of the NUR and (at some point HMG). 

Really good browsing of a lost world. 

Why, do you think, in terms of Perishable Merchandise by Passenger Train, there should be different rates for Poultry(dead), and Rooks(dead) ?

Post_03.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1