Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I keep telling my GWR mates that their is infinite variety on the LNER because of all the changes to tenders, chimneys, domes, safety valves, lubrication, even cabs etc.

I really shouldn't rise to your bait, Andrew, but I will!

Just taking the Kings as an example, a class of only 30* locos (so comparable in size with the A4s), there were variations between locos over the life of the class in livery (obviously), inside valve covers, boiler feed pipes, smokebox lamp brackets, bogie springs, bogie front cross members, speedometers, whistle shields, superheat boilers, mechanical lubricators, outside steam pipes, types of double chimney, types of single chimney, bogie strengthening strips, cabside windows, sliding cab roof vents, front frames and smokebox door footsteps.

All (G)WR locos the same? Pah!

* or 31 depending on how you view the “accountants’ rebuild” of 6007 King William III after the Shrivenham collision in 1936.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

This might be a bit naughty of me, but when it’s running along the railway, you can’t really notice it. If it isn’t right, I think I’ll just live with it, I’m happy with it, even if it is only 50-70% right. 

i may get chewed up and thrown out of Wright Writes for that,  totally understandable

Chewed up?  Surely not.

Gnawed around the edges?  Quite possibly likely :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Tony, somewhere around last Autumn I came across this thread in browsing and decided to start reading it from the beginning as it looked very informative and entertaining. I've read a few pages every day since then alongside other reading, and it became quite a habit! Thank you for sharing so much information and photos and in particular, for being so encouraging to less experienced modellers like myself :).

As you often ask people to show pictures of their own modelling, here are some of mine - firstly, a D&S ECJS Luggage Brake:

CL_ECJS.jpg.7e74d417164bbca1a3c3554162e99a5c.jpg

Best regards, Chas

Lovely work. What did you use for the lamps on the ECJS Brake?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I really shouldn't rise to your bait, Andrew, but I will!

Just taking the Kings as an example, a class of only 30* locos (so comparable in size with the A4s), there were variations between locos over the life of the class in livery (obviously), inside valve covers, boiler feed pipes, smokebox lamp brackets, bogie springs, bogie front cross members, speedometers, whistle shields, superheat boilers, mechanical lubricators, outside steam pipes, types of double chimney, types of single chimney, bogie strengthening strips, cabside windows, sliding cab roof vents, front frames and smokebox door footsteps.

All (G)WR locos the same? Pah!

* or 31 depending on how you view the “accountants’ rebuild” of 6007 King William III after the Shrivenham collision in 1936.

What me bait someone, surely not!

Of course the King is one of relatively few classes compared with some railways.

So my King has probably got a number of errors, might have to figure those out one day, oops I didn't say I had a King did I? Don't tell anyone.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Lovely work. What did you use for the lamps on the ECJS Brake?

Hello Rich, the lamp bodies are Modelu 3D printed brake van side lamps. They have hollow bodies and empty lens holes. They were primed and painted, then had one red and one white Modelu 1.5mm lens glued over one hole on each lamp; the lenses come foil backed, so the foil needs scraping off first. I then applied a thin ring of araldite to the rim of each hole and dropped a lens gently onto it so that the araldite didn't spread out. I then glued a single white 1mm LED into the aperture where the fourth side of the lamp body would be and ran the LED wires through a hole into the carriage body. Inside the body is a Train Tech AL22 module that powers both LEDs - this is their 'flickering tail + constant light' module, so if you look closely you can see that one light is slightly brighter and more constant than the other, but in normal use it doesn't look odd and in real life, I imagine a pair of oil lamps might easily vary in intensity. I also cut a suitably sized slot in the floorpan during assembly, through which about a third of the coin cell powering the AL22 protrudes, which allows it to be changed when needed, without dismantling the body: if you look at the coach at eye level it's fairly obvious there's something underneath that shouldn't be there, but at normal viewing angles it's invisible and for me it's an acceptable compromise for the working lights. You have to take a little material off the retaining sides of the coin cell holder to reduce the strength of its hold and allow removal of the cell that way.

(I've similarly fitted full Train Tech coach lighting strips to Hornby Gresleys, detaching the coin cell holder and mounting it, connected by wires, underneath the coach body - no-one wants to be taking those coaches apart more than once! No connection with Train Tech or Modelu, just a happy customer!).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Rich, the lamp bodies are Modelu 3D printed brake van side lamps. They have hollow bodies and empty lens holes. They were primed and painted, then had one red and one white Modelu 1.5mm lens glued over one hole on each lamp; the lenses come foil backed, so the foil needs scraping off first. I then applied a thin ring of araldite to the rim of each hole and dropped a lens gently onto it so that the araldite didn't spread out. I then glued a single white 1mm LED into the aperture where the fourth side of the lamp body would be and ran the LED wires through a hole into the carriage body. Inside the body is a Train Tech AL22 module that powers both LEDs - this is their 'flickering tail + constant light' module, so if you look closely you can see that one light is slightly brighter and more constant than the other, but in normal use it doesn't look odd and in real life, I imagine a pair of oil lamps might easily vary in intensity. I also cut a suitably sized slot in the floorpan during assembly, through which about a third of the coin cell powering the AL22 protrudes, which allows it to be changed when needed, without dismantling the body: if you look at the coach at eye level it's fairly obvious there's something underneath that shouldn't be there, but at normal viewing angles it's invisible and for me it's an acceptable compromise for the working lights. You have to take a little material off the retaining sides of the coin cell holder to reduce the strength of its hold and allow removal of the cell that way.

(I've similarly fitted full Train Tech coach lighting strips to Hornby Gresleys, detaching the coin cell holder and mounting it, connected by wires, underneath the coach body - no-one wants to be taking those coaches apart more than once! No connection with Train Tech or Modelu, just a happy customer!).

Hi Chas, wow thank you for the comprehensive reply :)

I am (slowly) building my own lighting units but haven't found a suitable two double sided lamp (until now!).

10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

That’s it, I’ve had it, I’m not going to sit here on this thread and get told what I’ve done is wrong!!..... :laugh_mini: 

I thank you all for the help and correction, I may need to order some bits from DJH, as the coal rails on the tender I have here have been obliterated to nothing....apparently a model doesn’t like being dropped on the floor. I’ll keep it as it is until I get some spares, as I am rather short of goods locos for BJ. 

Does anyone have Yeardons register of J10’s? And can tell me an appropriate number for a J10, that could have worked the ECML?

Good morning Jesse,

'That’s it, I’ve had it, I’m not going to sit here on this thread and get told what I’ve done is wrong!!..... :laugh_mini:'

I know it's 'tongue in cheek', but welcome to the territory. 

I think one of the strong points of Wright Writes is the 'constructive criticism' given. All offered in the spirit of assistance and with a desire to see more-accurate models. 

I seek it out (all the time) and some of my more-recent efforts (fireboxgate!) have been criticised, with total justification. If one is prepared to give it, then one must be prepared to take it. 

What it all means is that you'll become a 'better' modeller - inventive, self-reliant, personally-creative and a builder to very high-standards. You're well on the way, and I commend you for it.

Effusive gasps of delight have their place, with a plethora of 'likes', but only where it's thoroughly justified. In your case, before long (even now) that'll be what'll happen.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Tony, somewhere around last Autumn I came across this thread in browsing and decided to start reading it from the beginning as it looked very informative and entertaining. I've read a few pages every day since then alongside other reading, and it became quite a habit! Thank you for sharing so much information and photos and in particular, for being so encouraging to less experienced modellers like myself :).

As you often ask people to show pictures of their own modelling, here are some of mine - firstly, a D&S ECJS Luggage Brake:

CL_ECJS.jpg.7e74d417164bbca1a3c3554162e99a5c.jpg

This is another D&S kit, the Pigeon Brake:

545707792_DSPigeonBrake.jpg.b9377a821894d72cfef1aa4ca34fc28a.jpg

This is an ABS Models whitemetal 6 plank wagon:

213164286_ABS6plank.jpg.54c58ae31faa235b5d78e1519dc80587.jpg

This is a D&S CLC Brake van:

1756863764_DSCLCBrake.jpg.20ae6874a3711c9e49dee1f8dcffcba4.jpg

And this is my first loco, a DJH J9/10:

1859524451_DJHJ9_10.jpg.bd4432b5799475275f45e2b8165304ff.jpg

Best regards, Chas

This is wonderful stuff, Chas,

Many thanks for showing us.

What's the saying? Something to do with hiding, light and bushel? 

Please keep on showing us more...........................

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Atso said:

Good evening all,

I can offer nothing further on the accuracy of GCR tenders, but do offer the beginnings of weathering my inaccurate portrayal of Silver Link. The idea is to eventually give the impression of a reasonably clean but hard worked loco.

20200614_214648-1.jpg.295f12e0e34a0fb54bcfb7e85d96fbb7.jpg

20200614_214732-1.jpg.2497a202a25daa5f48daedd9ee278420.jpg

My apologies for the phone flash photography, I'll try and get some better snaps tomorrow in the sun. The model was airbrushed with a heavily thinned coat of Railmatch roof dirt with a couple of drops of Humbrol Metalcote polished steel add. This was allowed to go touch dry before attacking it with an old brush and white spirit as described in Martyn Welch's book. It's far from finished but it does have that lovely oily metallic look to it in reality.

It's starting to look very-natural, Steve,

I look forward to seeing its completion.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DougN said:

Tony do you happen to know the origin of the chimney- it is a lot finer and it 'as a hole'. The Finney castings though nice are not a patch on the brass one above. 

I honestly don't know Doug,

However, I'd guess it's either from DMR (still available?) or Markits.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Hi Chas, wow thank you for the comprehensive reply :)

I am (slowly) building my own lighting units but haven't found a suitable two double sided lamp (until now!).

Actually, it doesn't look like Modelu have yet added this lamp to their full range: I'd emailed Alan to ask if he had something that resembled the LNER style and he said he was preparing an LNER side lamp for inclusion on the site and he very kindly sent me some test prints to try on this model. This was shortly before Modelu moved business premises, following which we had the covid situation, so hopefully this lamp will be available soon - I need some more for other similar projects! Here's a better view of it:

CL_ECJS-lamp_close-up.jpg.5886644009c75034109dfbed44991c92.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

This is wonderful stuff, Chas,

Many thanks for showing us.

What's the saying? Something to do with hiding, light and bushel? 

Please keep on showing us more...........................

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony :)

Calling all Aussie contributors/ readers. I made a significant error in the dates I mentioned for the BRMA Convention in Adelaide in 2021 in my post on the previous page. The dates are 30 Sep - 4th Oct 2021.

This inexcusable really considering I set the dates!

Hope my modelling is better than my memory. I've now edited the dates in my earlier posting.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

At 6 o'clock the lever would stay in position under gravity and hold the door closed even if it hadn't been tightened properly. You wouldn't have to hold it up with one hand while using the other to tighten the door either.

As the great steam loco engineer L Dante Porta said "Make the easy way the right way".

Good morning St Enodoc,

that would be the obvious conclusion, For the sake of clarity, the question that I actually asked was, 'why would you put the lever at 12 o'clock', not why would you put the leaver at 6 o'clock, the latter is obvious as you have pointed out. 

11 hours ago, Headstock said:

Perhaps you'd like to share your knowledge as to why it wasn't common elsewhere?

Again, for the sake of clarification, the quote attributed to me in red, is not mine, it is Steve B's.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I honestly don't know Doug,

However, I'd guess it's either from DMR (still available?) or Markits.

Regards,

Tony. 

Ummm couldn't find them on either when I was looking today at work... I will send a message to Markits for some! 

(Just checked the DMR website but no V2 chimney) 

Edited by DougN

41 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Calling all Aussie contributors/ readers. I made a significant error in the dates I mentioned for the BRMA Convention in Adelaide in 2021 in my post on the previous page. The dates are 30 Sep - 4th Oct 2021.

This in excusable really considering I set the dates!

Hope my modelling is better than my memory. I've now edited the dates in my earlier posting.

Andrew

Wait ... what... but that's when grown men lose the plot over football...  I can't think of this without the clip from the Bird Cage where Robin Williams  is trying to butch up Nathan Lane...  ok will change in the diary! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, DougN said:

Wait ... what... but that's when grown men lose the plot over football...  I can't think of this without the clip from the Bird Cage where Robin Williams  is trying to butch up Nathan Lane...  ok will change in the diary! 

Doug its definitely correct in emails you may have got from me so you probably have the correct date already and its correct in TCH!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good morning St Enodoc,

that would be the obvious conclusion, For the sake of clarity, the question that I actually asked was, 'why would you put the lever at 12 o'clock', not why would you put the leaver at 6 o'clock, the latter is obvious as you have pointed out. 

Perhaps you'd like to share your knowledge as to why it wasn't common elsewhere?

Again, for the sake of clarification, the quote attributed to me in red, is not mine, it is Steve B's.

Yes it is. I don't know why the quotation box said it was yours. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

'That’s it, I’ve had it, I’m not going to sit here on this thread and get told what I’ve done is wrong!!..... :laugh_mini:'

I know it's 'tongue in cheek', but welcome to the territory. 

I think one of the strong points of Wright Writes is the 'constructive criticism' given. All offered in the spirit of assistance and with a desire to see more-accurate models. 

I seek it out (all the time) and some of my more-recent efforts (fireboxgate!) have been criticised, with total justification. If one is prepared to give it, then one must be prepared to take it. 

What it all means is that you'll become a 'better' modeller - inventive, self-reliant, personally-creative and a builder to very high-standards. You're well on the way, and I commend you for it.

Effusive gasps of delight have their place, with a plethora of 'likes', but only where it's thoroughly justified. In your case, before long (even now) that'll be what'll happen.

Regards,

Tony. 

Of course it was tongue in cheek, taking in criticism is how you learn, I wouldn’t be the modeller I am today without making mistakes and correcting them. 

Not to steer the thread away to another discussion, but it infuriates me when you give constructive criticism to someone and they just bring out the rule 1. I see it all the time in the Facebook groups, but that’s another matter 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hi Jesse

I would suggest just making  solid coal guards for the DJH tender from some brass strip. 

Also, as it appears you have a lovely spare Bachmann J11 tender that you pair that with your O4 6190 as that should have a tender with water pickup for mid-late 1930s. Bachmann have paired it with a tender after removal of water pickup and movement further back of the rear coal plate as per the preserved O4 on the GC at Loughborough. On mine I modified the tender substantially to fit Graeme King's resin water pick box arrangement. The Bachmann J11 tender is the best of its GC tenders as it also has the brakes in line with the wheels. Bachmann did regress slightly however in fitting a 'ships wheel' with 8 spokes not 6, which it actually got correct on the self trimming tender with its D11/1!

Don't we just love modelling the LNER! I keep telling my GWR mates that there is infinite variety on the LNER because of all the changes to tenders, chimneys, domes, safety valves, lubrication, even cabs etc. The challenge for us is studying the prototype to the nth degree.  At the end of the day we all have models with mistakes but in most instances they remain a secret unless you let on! 

Keep up the good work Jesse, I must try to visit you next time I get to Sydney but who knows when that might be? As we are now having the BRMA Convention here in Adelaide next year,  30 Sept - 4th October 2021 I'd suggest putting that in your calendar.

Andrew 

Thanks for all your help Andrew, very much appreciate it.

The coal rails, should they be squared off or? 

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good morning St Enodoc,

I think it's pretty-obvious why an inner handle on a smokebox door locking mechanism should be set to '6 o'clock', but, since I first asked the question...........

It's equally-obvious that, on a few occasions, it was set to '12 o'clock', which is what I speculated on. One would have to ask a fireman why he set it to '12 o'clock'. 

Daft, or not.