Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

13 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

My second attempt at painting teak has worked wonders, I think, Using Mike Trice’ methods. 

I think another light coat and some weathering she’ll turn out alright. 

85C3A895-53D6-4513-BB2A-39EAC56B0626.jpeg

Are you sure you have used my method? It does not look as if artists oil paint has been used.

If you have not watched it try this:

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

36 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Are you sure you have used my method? It does not look as if artists oil paint has been used.

If you have not watched it try this:

I’ve used Acrylics, oil paints are on my shopping list. 

I say method, as the stages you created yours in. 

Many thanks 

• Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, richard i said:

Perhaps a sparing use of a darker tone to add variety of colour and some way to tone Down the few very bright yellow bits would help the colours flow more seamlessly into each other. 
richard

That’s what I was thinking, still room for improvement, but a step up from my first attempt.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

there was about half a million PO wooden bodied mineral wagons at nationalization and the big four equivalents on top of that,, I don't know how that compares?

The maximum payload of any of those (on a 9' wheelbase) was 12T, though rebranded as 13T during WW2. However, there would have still been quite a lot of  older 10T PO wagons extant at nationalisation and these would have been first for the chop as BR ramped up their acquisition of steel wagons. The LMS and LNER had already begun the process within their own wagon fleets, whilst the GWR had been more ambitious from an earlier date with their advocacy of 20t wagons on a 12' wheelbase.

Of the steel body 16-tonners, there were over a quarter-million built to the most common pattern (Dia.108), In practical terms, three of them equalled the capacity of four wooden ones, (or almost five ten-tonners) whilst the tare weight per wagon was little different and often slightly less than that of their forebears.

The saving in coal consumed in the course of moving coal around would have been significant.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Of the steel body 16-tonners, there were over a quarter-million built to the most common pattern (Dia.108),

Good morning John,

I think that I saw all of them at the last model railway exhibition I visited.

A bunch of 16 ton mineral wagons I built for the Hotchley hill Gypsum trains, nothing special about them, the same as everybody else's. I did airbrush the stripes on though. They are built from Parkside kits. When we were researching the Hotchley hill trains, we spoke to the head honcho at the British Gypsum works at Hotchley hill. When he was at University, he spent his holidays working at Gotham sidings. A north bound runner would drop off a raft of mineral wagons as required. It would be his job to clean out the interiors of the wagons, before they were shunted off down the Gotham branch to be loaded with fresh produce from the gypsum mines.

Modern image contrast 16 ton mineral wagons RCH 1923 12 ton.jpg

Edited by Headstock
add image
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Here's another one.

1614888605_9076308-10.JPG.28ba1e1049a37580a88a8163d8960b77.JPG

This one (the only English WD 2-10-0) is EM and runs on Carlisle - again from the very good DJH kit, I built and painted it Barry O added the filth.

I'd love to see one finished as LMR 600 "Gordon", which I rode behind at the final Longmoor Open Day in 1969.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Thanks to my wife for allowing me to take over the art room while

I built this monster, far too big for my normal modelling desk.

Certainly in modelling bulk the equivalent of the real thing.  I was in Portsmouth in 1977, when the Silver Jubilee Spithead Review took place.  Nimitz attended, but spent the duration anchored off Seaview on the Isle of Wight.  She was too big to get into the Solent, let alone Portsmouth Harbour.

Lovely stuff, Al.

Pete T.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PJT said:

Certainly in modelling bulk the equivalent of the real thing.  I was in Portsmouth in 1977, when the Silver Jubilee Spithead Review took place.  Nimitz attended, but spent the duration anchored off Seaview on the Isle of Wight.  She was too big to get into the Solent, let alone Portsmouth Harbour.

Lovely stuff, Al.

Pete T.

My reason for making it as that I went aboard when she was moored off Hong Kong, probably some way out although I don't remember the specifics of the boat journey that took us there.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DougN said:

Tony, what's the manufacturer of the screw coupling you have on the front of the V2 they do look appropriate? 

Doug,

It's Romford/Markits, now no longer in production (because of age/ill health of the maker - who's made every one for over 60 years!). 

They're slightly over-scale, but incredibly robust. Some others I've employed fall apart far too easily. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Clem,

I like the diamond shape of the runs above the middle sandbox filler. I've seen this feature on a number of real locomotives. Great observation.

Another example that it really does pay off if you work from photos. You just have to make sure it's the right loco, particularly where there are detail differences within a class. But that is what it is all about. Trying to get it as right as possible. That's why I'm in awe of so much of the work shown on this thread (and others).

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I know there's some interest in naval power on Wright Writes so I hope I'll be forgiven for throwing in a picture of this lockdown side-project, the USS Nimitz;

nimitz1.jpg.7a066267dcb5ff6584aba8f61b3b543a.jpg

There's still a long way to go with painting, marking and final detailing (some of which will be incredibly fragile), not to mention a representation of various aircraft

types, but it's been a great deal of fun to tackle something totally unrelated to railway modelling. Thanks to my wife for allowing me to take over the art room while

I built this monster, far too big for my normal modelling desk.

Al

Hi

Fabulous model, may I ask who kit is it?

Regards

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Doug,

It's Romford/Markits, now no longer in production (because of age/ill health of the maker - who's made every one for over 60 years!). 

They're slightly over-scale, but incredibly robust. Some others I've employed fall apart far too easily. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I was going to ring Markits today for some three link and screw link couplings plus handrail knobs and wire.

Are you saying they are no longer trading?

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Fabulous model, may I ask who kit is it?

Regards

David

Hello David

It's the Trumpeter kit in 1/350th scale. They also do a 1/700th version.

Al

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PJT said:

Lovely stuff, Al.

Just to expand briefly:  My school was 5 minutes' walk from the Sally Port, at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour.  Come lunchtimes, we'd be down there, come rain, shine or winter storm.  Every day there was something interesting to watch, either entering or leaving port, whether it was a Royal Navy vessel or a foreign one (usually French or US Navy).  And that's apart from the Isle of Wight ferries, the cross channel ferries, freight carriers and the dear old Gosport ferry, all of which were coming and going all the time.  Absolute bliss for a group of teenage lads.  Contrast that with today, where the dockyard seems, from the outside anyway, mostly silent and static and when a navy vessel does actually move it's a cause for celebration.  Last time I looked, the Royal Navy could muster a grand total of 18 ships, though I think that may have increased by a couple recently.

See, your lovely impressive model of Nimitz really got me going!

Pete T.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Atso said:

Lovely stuff there! Interesting to read that your order of painting is the complete reverse of how I tackle locos. The first colour that I apply is the red buffer beams and then mask these off for the green and finally the black. That said, I always leave fitting buffers, couling hooks and vac pipes until after I've done the painting and lining, but guess that might not be as practical in 4mm scale.

My last airbrushing session was this Sam Fay.

20200621_131647-1.jpg.cbe5a5be743b146332884f957a107533.jpg

The C1s haven't been forgotten either (still got some boiler bands to add though!).

23-6-20.jpg.5bb35fa902cad9371d24d832d4be2187.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the next stage on your current batch.

I am quite pleased, as I have just worked out how to reply to a post!

I painted the buffer beams on the four black engines today, as I was getting tired of all the masking. I will paint the buffer beams on the pacifics when I start on the 7mm Jubilee that is next in line. I have plenty of lining to do in the mean time on these.

I was interested by your comment Atso (Steven?) about the order of colours. If I was working only in enamels, I would have started with the buffer beams, as this is the smallest area to mask, then worked up in size order in terms of the next area to mask. However, I am governed by the fact that I am working with cellulose paints for the main colours, and these must be applied before enamels.

After the painting, I reverted to a 7mm scale 8F, which incorporates Hobby Holidays' ball bearing hornblocks. Today it had its first run, and I was impressed with the difference these bearings made.

DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2973.JPG

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I was going to ring Markits today for some three link and screw link couplings plus handrail knobs and wire.

Regards

David

Don't worry, Markits are alive and well and still trading :)

The person (I think) Tony was mentioning was supplying the screw link couplings to Markits, but is now of such advancing years (did he also used to do the wheels Tony?) and as a consequence no longer produces the couplings.  Don't worry, wheels are still available though!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2020 at 18:23, The Johnster said:

but Comet coaches have proved close to my limit; they take a lot of time and I'm struggling with stuff like door handles and hinges. 

no hesitation in contracting out if I had the wherewithal, as despite the undoubted pleasure and sense of achievement I will get from the finished loco, I will have gotten more from the extra 6 months operating and using it; same goes for the essential Comet coaches on the shopping list.

Geoff Brewin owned Comet for a while, and he couldn't bring himself to build coaches because he reckoned they were boring to build. Even with a lottery win, you might struggle to find somebody to build them for you.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Regards

David

Good evening David,

Markits are still trading.

I'm horrified if the impression I gave from my post suggested otherwise. 

It's just that Frank (Mr. Romford), now well into his 80s is no longer making the couplings. He made every Romford wheel for decades since the '50s. 

I'm sure Mark Arscott still has some in stock, but when they're gone, they're gone.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

40 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Geoff Brewin owned Comet for a while, and he couldn't bring himself to build coaches because he reckoned they were boring to build. Even with a lottery win, you might struggle to find somebody to build them for you.

'you might struggle to find somebody to build them for you.'

Very true Phil,

I only ever built one or two coaches as a professional builder and then gave up because, without appearing too mercenary, there was no money in it. By that I mean, in some cases, they took almost as long to build as a loco, yet couldn't command anywhere near the same price. Things like catering cars (not full kitchen cars) with all the tables, chairs, lamps and curtains took ages, as did, particularly, Pullman cars. 

I know Larry Goddard must have built thousands of carriages, but he's a far more-accomplished builder than I am.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Mike Trice V2 is all but finished now (apart from building the tender when it arrives).

I think a Comet chassis is the best way to go with this..................

68480895_MikeTriceV224.jpg.8e2cad138be4ae20fe47b8b848240f96.jpg

I think I need to adjust the ride height at the front end, lowering it just a twitch (only discovered by taking a picture). The cylinder height is adjustable.

569808100_MikeTriceV225.jpg.322962c6ded8015b0d665d13bc01f8fc.jpg

Thanks once again to Mike Trice and Andrew Hartsthorne for such excellent products. 

Tony that looks stunning. Pdk tender?

No I am just not keeping up sefinecast

Edited by davidw
Catching up