Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I think it depends where you bend the bracket, I had the advantage that I could place it up behind the valence of the brass Crownline running board. In this case, the Comet bracket was attached to the 'gull wing' arrangement of the Crownline cross piece. Being self critical, every time I look at this image, it reminds me the ball race is missing and I have never put it back on, it's in a matchbox somewhere. I think that the valve spindle guides are possibly Bradwell, better than the Comet ones supplied. The arrangement of the drop arm on the crosshead is not quite right but hey ho, it works.

I did fill in the top of the slidebar, so it is a three bar arrangement not four.

V2 60863 valve gear.jpg

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks for all the recent V2 comments (which I did ask for). If one puts work up for 'inspection', then expect (in fact, invite) critical comment. I much prefer it this way, rather than an effusive gushing of 'likes', when I can only assume the commentators are myopic; or just far too sycophantic! 

I wonder if the sycophants and myopic commentators will click like or agree?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Very much been enjoying the V2 discussion. The Mike Trice body looks superb, just look how far 3D printing has come.

Speaking of V2s, this BFI footage maybe of interest that I'm currently watching. Some lovely footage of V2s in Scotland, in particular this shot of one on coal empties at 2 minutes 48 seconds (plus at 3 minutes 44, a Peppercorn A2 in rather nice condition on a fitted).

There is also some lovely variety of colour wagon stock @jwealleans

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-great-north-of-scotland-railway-films-1963-online?fbclid=IwAR3OY3fAw1w8VXsVj5EIo-R7DkkLIo3GfmuLp0ynVg8dGgUVmhJ5tmdnZww

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks once more for all the V2 comments.

I have to say I'm rather cross with myself (Joining a queue) because I've built Comet V2 chassis in the past, and got the motion bracket/slidebar arrangement right.............

2058308984_KingV216.jpg.ab1b9eca3abdc17c0e7b72f42d5f7fcf.jpg

This is one of the Graeme King V2 body examples I've made, and, lo and behold, the bottom of the bracket is in the right place. 

I just forgot what was needed was to bend the bottom of the bracket higher up, and snip off the excess. 

If nothing else, this little exercise over the last few days might help others in their constructions. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

For anyone who hasn't seen the film Tom has linked above, right at the end there's a Thompson pacific in LNER postwar green with a Coronation twin still in the two tome blue livery immediately behind it.   Priceless.

I haven't got to the end yet, I'll look forward to that!

44 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Very much been enjoying the V2 discussion. The Mike Trice body looks superb, just look how far 3D printing has come.

Speaking of V2s, this BFI footage maybe of interest that I'm currently watching. Some lovely footage of V2s in Scotland, in particular this shot of one on coal empties at 2 minutes 48 seconds (plus at 3 minutes 44, a Peppercorn A2 in rather nice condition on a fitted).

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-great-north-of-scotland-railway-films-1963-online?fbclid=IwAR3OY3fAw1w8VXsVj5EIo-R7DkkLIo3GfmuLp0ynVg8dGgUVmhJ5tmdnZww

Good afternoon HD,

one of my favourite bits of film, mainly for the Royal train with twin B1's, Earl Marischal, the streamlined twin, the Thompson non opaque oval window and the Gill sans number one on the upper panel of the sleeper, oh and the assisting engine on the rear and a filthy full brake. Just my era, the Aberdonian I believe.

Edited by Headstock
double full stop.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I should have looked at these before I built the latest V2 chassis..........................

180660847_KingCometV260837.jpg.5d79dee464ab4c109e0fbf81b616c5fa.jpg

1964406567_V2King60837.jpg.a87db78ac969dbe415787886692ddef9.jpg

The same loco as in my previous post, now weathered..........

835294203_6085802.jpg.c7157b2ff0ca835c4f0b79bbbf460bd8.jpg

And another King/Comet combination (this one painted by Geoff Haynes).

1041472092_Nu-CastV26098203.jpg.30420c2e39cd85fcad62a60e36e3ea3b.jpg

And a Nu-Cast/Comet combination (again, painted by Geoff Haynes). 

It's said we learn from our mistakes. It's a pity I didn't learn from what I got right in the first place! 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

55 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Tony

I admire your work very much, but hope that I am neither sycophantic or myopic, just ignorant. If it looks fairly realistic, and I find yours very realistic, it is good enough for me. I am learning from this site all the time, and very much appreciate all of my 'teachers'. Perhaps the idea of having to build outside valve gear is why the brunswick green from further west is so popular?

Lloyd

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Well found Tom. Fantastic footage including also the LMS Royal Train, still in LMS livery.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Presumably the myopic commentators always click the wrong button anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I should have looked at these before I built the latest V2 chassis..........................

180660847_KingCometV260837.jpg.5d79dee464ab4c109e0fbf81b616c5fa.jpg

1964406567_V2King60837.jpg.a87db78ac969dbe415787886692ddef9.jpg

835294203_6085802.jpg.c7157b2ff0ca835c4f0b79bbbf460bd8.jpg

1041472092_Nu-CastV26098203.jpg.30420c2e39cd85fcad62a60e36e3ea3b.jpg

It's said we learn from our mistakes. It's a pity I didn't learn from what I got right in the first place! 

Would it really be such a big job to put it right? It just seems a shame that what could be your best V2s yet contain an error that could be fairly easy to fix. One of Roy Jackson's favourite sayings was something about all modellers making errors (you can well imagine that he didn't use exactly those words!) but you could always tell the difference between a good modeller and an "also ran" by how they sort them out. I always had you down as a good modeller!  

Edited by t-b-g
missed a word out
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Afternoon Tony,

one little thing that people may wish to consider and incorporate into the potential flood of V2's possibly under construction. I notice that most of the supplied bodies, chassis, kits and even the preserved locomotive, has the original curved front frames. When the new pony trucks were fitted after 1946, the frames were altered to a squared off arrangement to accommodate this. I know this from spending many a happy hour zapping the curve to a great big file.

9 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

I admire your work very much, but hope that I am neither sycophantic or myopic, just ignorant. If it looks fairly realistic, and I find yours very realistic, it is good enough for me. I am learning from this site all the time, and very much appreciate all of my 'teachers'. Perhaps the idea of having to build outside valve gear is why the brunswick green from further west is so popular?

Lloyd

Me not Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I still think there's no greater pleasure in this wonderful hobby than being able to say 'I made that'.

Hmm, I think that comes second to "it works!". If you can say both, then so much the better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thank

'The Piston Rod must be very close to striking the motion bracket on the return stroke as well.'

I don't understand what you mean by this.............

The piston rod never gets anywhere near the motion support bracket. It's the round piece fitted at the front of the crosshead which goes into the cylinders, so the nearest it gets to the bracket is the length of the crosshead. 

I'm afraid I can live with the bracket discrepancy; we all have different tolerance levels - too fat boilers and 'pimply' domes come to mind.

Regards,

Tony. 

Whatever the rear of the piston rod  is called that slides on the slidebar, and also slides under the Motion Bracket at rear of its travel.

Fat Boilers = 1mm too wide  on the smokebox and Pimples = 1mm on the Dome height  . I can easily live with that , it wasnt worth buying a new body just to correct that. Now a new V2 body is on order ,the Bachmann original can go in the bin or ebay !!

:):D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, micklner said:

Whatever the rear of the piston rod  is called that slides on the slidebar, and also slides under the Motion Bracket at rear of its travel.

:):D

That's the crosshead.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been reading the V2 thread with interest. Yes I am still battling with the Finney kits. How ever with Tony's battle with the comet valve gear and the braket. My item is the valve spindles and I think the brass masters/ Finney castings look a heap more convincing than the etched version. One of the issues is they are fully 3 D and not being a combination of etch and white metal casting could be a lot easier to assemble. Below is a copy of the castings photo from brassmasters website. IMG_0842.JPG.9103de63bd4c68a84d42aca448e6e6e2.JPG

the castings are BR1,2, and 3 as there is 2 different types being the first 10 locos and the balance. 

The more I think about the best combinations to achieve the most accurate but easiest model. I think might be a combination of, the lovely 3d print by Mr Trice, a comet chassis with brass master castings, or may be a branchlines chassis that has not been mentioned so far. Along with a Hornby tender... or a Dave Bradwell. 

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

Lloyd

Good afternoon Lloyd,

I don't know about those with poor vision, but there are no sycophants who post on Wright Writes. If they did, they'd be quickly rumbled. 

I'm sure you're dead right in your observation that a lack of outside valve gear makes modelling the products of Swindon so popular.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Would it really be such a big job to put it right? It just seems a shame that what could be your best V2s yet contain an error that could be fairly easy to fix. One of Roy Jackson's favourite sayings was something about all modellers making errors (you can well imagine that he didn't use exactly those words!) but you could always tell the difference between a good modeller and an "also ran" by how they sort them out. I always had you down as a good modeller!  

Good afternoon Tony,

'Would it really be such a big job to put it right?'

Probably not. A moment with a slitting disc, a touch with the iron to remove the offending piece, and another sliver of metal soldered in the right place. 

Perhaps it's because Roy considered me to be an 'also ran' that he completely dismantled and rebuilt that A2/2 body I built for him! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Tony,

'Would it really be such a big job to put it right?'

Probably not. A moment with a slitting disc, a touch with the iron to remove the offending piece, and another sliver of metal soldered in the right place. 

Perhaps it's because Roy considered me to be an 'also ran' that he completely dismantled and rebuilt that A2/2 body I built for him! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Roy may have thought that of you, many others (including me) certainly do not!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks once more for all the V2 comments.

I have to say I'm rather cross with myself (Joining a queue) because I've built Comet V2 chassis in the past, and got the motion bracket/slidebar arrangement right.............

2058308984_KingV216.jpg.ab1b9eca3abdc17c0e7b72f42d5f7fcf.jpg

This is one of the Graeme King V2 body examples I've made, and, lo and behold, the bottom of the bracket is in the right place. 

I just forgot what was needed was to bend the bottom of the bracket higher up, and snip off the excess. 

If nothing else, this little exercise over the last few days might help others in their constructions. 

...you just can't get the staff nowadays...!!

• Like 1

Enough of V2s and their various appurtenances for now..............

The Craftsman 36XX I'm building rather took a back seat when the V2s arrived. 

Anyway, progress today has been reasonable.............

474920038_Craftsman360007.jpg.c09ec8b2d06f84a182985457cb88f745.jpg

Though very nicely-formed, a butt joint was expected between the smokebox/front section of the boiler and the tapered section of the boiler. Tricky to say the least. I resorted to the old dodge of soldering sections of .9mm brass wire to act as supports. 

428312585_Craftsman360008.jpg.d7033177b62e1c9e62a2df3fc19304d6.jpg

The fit of the parts was superb. Apart from my soldering the smokebox ring and the firebox front, it's just gravity which holds the saddle, boiler and firebox in place. 

105556264_Craftsman360009.jpg.83018e5a1d135406bb6e63a0f175cb8b.jpg

A few quick flourishes with the soldering iron, and it's not far off complete now (though detailing does take time).  

When I first soldered the boiler in place I thought to myself 'This can't be right. The smokebox overhangs the front platform'. Until I checked the drawing! 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2