Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I hadn't tried that until I read your suggestion. I'd assumed that the "reporting" facility was there only for complaints (either justifiable and significant or over-sensitive, politically-correct, petty and ridiculous). Now I find it is actually useful and practical for ordinary participants.

It's the "Share this post" thingy, not the "Report post" link. Click on it, copy the link and paste it into the post where you want to quote it.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gr.king said:

I hadn't tried that until I read your suggestion. I'd assumed that the "reporting" facility was there only for complaints (either justifiable and significant or over-sensitive, politically-correct, petty and ridiculous). Now I find it is actually useful and practical for ordinary participants.

You were correct about the reporting facility - it's a separate feature from the quote facility, they just happen to be next to each other on the page.  It's not brilliant ergonomics in my view and it took me a long time to find the quote feature.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Wonderful picture, Mike.

I wonder how many modellers go to the time and trouble to make a union link like this, with forked ends? I never have, and most frets for valve gear don't give you two pieces to sweat together, anyway. 

I assume the Finney kit allows for this replication? 

Interestingly, the parts are stamped with '800', which was the later LNER number for GREEN ARROW. In fact, the combination lever is stamped 'BR' as well, so is this set a replacement for the original (which would have been stamped '4771')? I suppose components do wear out.

Note how snug the fit of the the crosshead's slipper is in the slidebars. Were mine that intimate, the whole thing would jam up immediately power was applied. In 4mm, it's impossible to reproduce exact 'working clearances'.

My Golden Age A4 has forked union links.................1011514470_60027onUpElizabethan02.jpg.b932f4a7e14668e2d589bb098ff73094.jpg

However, from 'normal' viewing distances, can anyone tell? The double-thickness expansion links do just about show up, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Me sir, me sir! (Hand stuck in air, waving about and smug look on face).

When I was about 18 I grew unhappy with the valve gear on the Triang Hornby Britannia so I made some using a bit of flat bottom rail upside down as a cross head, two lengths of bulkhead rail for the proper three bar slidebar (the lower one had a slit cut along it. The union link was cut and filed from a thick sheet of brass and was in one part, with slots cut in the end and holes drilled through. It wasn't fluted though. I didn't have a clue how to do that.

I have only done a handful of outside valve gear locos as the GCR didn't have many examples but those I have done have all had a second union link made and soldered onto the back to make a forked joint. Probably no more than 3 or 4 in total and it takes me many months to complete a loco, not a few days but you did ask if anybody bothered!

• Like 8

Tony, yes the battle continues with the Finney kits! And yes they are all forked joints. Not too hard once the technique is learned. The solution I came up with was a sharpie pen to "colour in" the bits that aren't to be soldered. I managed to only have one joint which was sticky. 

The issue i have have been working on is the smokebox saddle and the fit of the boiler to the cab/ firebox and the foot plate. I had found both bodies had a small gap when the cab was screwed tight at the smoke box end. I have don even one of them so far today tomorrow will be the second. 

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Not a very good photo I'm afraid but my Father loved his valve gear, he was into forks in his rods etc. A little too advanced for myself I confess.

K3 motion bracket.jpg

That's wonderful work, Andrew,

It's way too advanced for me as well - on two levels. For one, I don't think I could work to those standards, and: two, even if I could, it would take me too long. When the 'plan' (which has now come to fruition) is to produce hundreds of outside valve gear locos, then simplified gear has to be the way; at least for me.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's wonderful work, Andrew,

It's way too advanced for me as well - on two levels. For one, I don't think I could work to those standards, and: two, even if I could, it would take me too long. When the 'plan' (which has now come to fruition) is to produce hundreds of outside valve gear locos, then simplified gear has to be the way; at least for me.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good afternoon Tony,

I think that it is a case of, if you really enjoy doing something, you will find away. My father loved tinkering about with valve gear. On the other hand, when he built a rake of carriages for Tebay, he declare, 'never again!' I couldn't produce the numbers of locomotives that you have, I just would not enjoy doing it. However, It is pretty fundamental to what you do enjoy about the hobby, as a result you have found a way to do it, that requires a formidable skill set in itself. In contrast, I tend to build locomotives, as and when I need them. I tend  think that if I have thirty trains, I need thirty locomotives and the odd spare, any more would be a terrible extravagance and wouldn't make me happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Tony,

I think that it is a case of, if you really enjoy doing something, you will find away. My father loved tinkering about with valve gear. On the other hand, when he built a rake of carriages for Tebay, he declare, 'never again!' I couldn't produce the numbers of locomotives that you have, I just would not enjoy doing it. However, It is pretty fundamental to what you do enjoy about the hobby, as a result you have found a way to do it, that requires a formidable skill set in itself. In contrast, I tend to build locomotives, as and when I need them. I tend  think that if I have thirty trains, I need thirty locomotives and the odd spare, any more would be a terrible extravagance and wouldn't make me happy.

Thanks Andrew,

At least this loco doesn't have outside valve gear................

563910150_Craftsman360010.jpg.85362d1fe1ac81efc53e216ac89b6289.jpg

Having been (delightfully) sidetracked by a pair of V2s in the last ten days, it was time to crack on with the Crafstman 36XX.

It would seem to me to be a very sound kit. 

684522810_Craftsman360011.jpg.535319815639c2eb9a49575986faaaef.jpg

However, the cast metal cab roof was really too contaminated with flash where the inverted 'V-shaped rainstrips were represented.

There was nothing else to do but remove the lot, reinstating the strips with 15Amp fusewire. The ends were cut off when I was happy they'd been securely soldered in place. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'Another interesting part was the goods with the brake van followed by some more vans. Model that and I suspect a few would point out the error ;)'

It was quite common on the ECML with longer distance express fish trains.

Where extra vans were picked up en route, rather than waste time separating the brake van from the train, they were tacked on the end.

I think they rejoiced in the name of 'swingers', and, I believe, up to six were allowed. Not a problem, since they were fully-fitted. A beneficial side-effect was that they stabilised the 'van, giving the guard a more comfortable ride. 

WMRC ran just such a rake on Stoke Summit..............

1795267127_608210nfish01.jpg.56c543eb74a103f79ee1f6aeb96aaca3.jpg

Though it's difficult to see exactly in the distance, there are two vans behind the brake van in this rake. 

The V2, by the way, is my 40+ year old Jamieson one, which now still sees service on LB. 

Speaking of Little Bytham, the express fish on that has 'swingers' at the rear. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

This maybe of interest, but the fish train with additional vans is clear here in one of the videos I shot of Little Bytham a few years back (was it really nearly 6 years ago!) 

The video should start at the right place, but if not, it's 20 seconds in.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress so far in building a short rake of LSWR corridor coaches, from the Roxey Mouldings kits. I showed the brake last year, but this week I made a start on the composite:

lswr.jpg.5ffc0e669345ac163d5d9c2021dfbe99.jpg

There's still a corridor third to do, after which I could add a mirror image brake third to form a typical 4 coach set. The plan is to finish them in SR malachite.

The one under construction has the correct round-section trusses, whereas the brake was done using L-section brass as I couldn't seem to find any parts in the kit. I'll get around to changing it eventually (he said).

Al

• Like 15

49 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Tony

On the 36xx, have you just fixed pick-ups to the driving wheels or did you add them to the bogie and pony wheels?  

Kind regards

David

Good evening David,

It's got a live chassis, so it picks-up from two drivers on the insulated side and returns via the four wheels on the live side. If you look closely, you'll see the brass bushes in the wheel centres of the live-side pony wheels. 

This arrangement seems to be more than adequate (I employ it on LB's locos), though I don't know the kind of trackwork the eventual owner uses. If it's got dead-frog points, then extra pick-ups might be necessary on the insulated side.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

This maybe of interest, but the fish train with additional vans is clear here in one of the videos I shot of Little Bytham a few years back (was it really nearly 6 years ago!) 

The video should start at the right place, but if not, it's 20 seconds in.

Thanks for this, Tom,

Nearly six years ago? There's been an incredible amount achieved in the building of Little Bytham in that time.

Anyway, as promised yesterday, static shots of LB's express fish train............

524683173_Fish01.jpg.ca1ebbfbd48aefc2a7d290b61eadbd36.jpg

The loco (yet another LB V2) is a Crownline kit, which I built for a review some time ago. Ian Rathbone painted it. 

The whole fish train (apart from the front van, which is modified Hornby) was built/painted/weathered by Rob Davey using Parkside kits. 

865252422_Fish02.jpg.f23fa1a40e5d811112084dafbb55a4ea.jpg

146640069_Fish03.jpg.32bef3c15ddd14601360b4f4fb38f41c.jpg

The 'swingers' clearly seen. The rear coupling should really be a screw shackle - yet another job. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Lovely shots Tony.

There were few 'swingers' in that video I posted yesterday (I think on fish trains).

Very much enjoying the V2 talk. Still a favourite ECML locomotive of mine.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Lovely shots Tony.

There were few 'swingers' in that video I posted yesterday (I think on fish trains).

Very much enjoying the V2 talk. Still a favourite ECML locomotive of mine.

Thanks Tom,

I think V2s will always be popular.

It's a very elegant design; and the epitome of Gresley's 'big-engine' policy. When you think they represented a sort of 'second-eleven' behind the Pacifics, making a total of almost 400 RA9 units (all bigger/heavier than anything on the GWR!), it makes me realise why (as a youthful spectator) I found the ECML in BR steam days so exciting. 

I think I've built enough V2s for the moment, but it'll be interesting to see just how good the forthcoming Bachmann ones will be. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I suppose yesterday represented (at least in part) a tentative 'end of lockdown'. This set my thoughts on to what have I 'achieved' since restrictions were imposed towards the end of March.

What other 'lockdown projects' are out there? 

Good Morning Tony

I had posted pictures of bridge abuttments ealier during this lockdown period.

Since then , I have a bash at my first wagon builds from etched kits. Thankfully much was learnt from working on your bridge.

The Palbrick B kits are by Ian MacDonald and they are very well designed making it fairly straightforward for the beginner.

Sorry about the kitchen test track. Used on tighter than planned track to check buffer spacing.

DSC05253.JPG.e0e16e622010638084fd26e4136d7ee0.JPG

You will see that I have used Masokits screw link couplings and Smiths hooks.

DSC05254.JPG.1d8dcaa26f66fe3b2912e5cf43076c56.JPG

DSC05255.JPG.ef310095a311717b966091d7e5d535cf.JPG

DSC05259.JPG.8ee5dbf654c200c3ad31d38c34ff75a3.JPG

DSC05262.JPG.3253b37bbd19ee4f1487e07ac077f1af.JPG

On checking the buffer clearance it gave the opportunity for even closer running with the layout track intended. So I have made up the Masokits draw bar hooks which are closer to scale dimensions so closing the gap further.

However the length of the hook allows only 3mm for a spring compared with 8mm compressed length for the Smiths.

Where on earth to get a spring with the equivalent same rating?

DSC05263.JPG.bf32ecb60236d2ef0550349917b96301.JPG

DSC05264.JPG.219572dcd8c3a45614799dea05182948.JPG

Any help on the subject of a working draw bar would be helpful. What should be the rating for example. To give the same rating as the Smiths I need a smaller spring with a smaller wire gauge.

On a another subject - I enjoyed the virtual show yesterday and looking forward to your demo today.

Dave W

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

My lockdown project is almost the opposite of RA9 main line Locomotives:

C0DB91C1-5B8E-4DFB-8E19-1CACC73E3D5A.jpeg.1585c3086a6ba78449badbe7ae1b59a5.jpeg

This is “Spencer” which ran on the Harrogate Gas works railway. A modified Hunslet WD 4-6-0.

It is a Langley kit on a Minitrix 2-6-2 chassis. Both much modified. This has been a build that is best described as a challenge!

It is nearly complete now though the body is only resting on the chassis and smokebox door and handle are not fixed yet. Plenty of cleaning up to do.

Jon

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think I've built enough V2s for the moment, but it'll be interesting to see just how good the forthcoming Bachmann ones will be. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm hoping the odd client may send one my way for weathering, along with the Thompson A2s. We've never had it so good!

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, dibateg said:

A prolific output of locos!

I've taken a leaf out of Tony's book and I have been horse trading. A friend printed the banners for my Templot layout plan, which would have come to a substantial sum. My part of the bargain was to finish a part built K1 for him. Here it is nearly done, about two and half weeks work on and off with all the other distractions. The tender is all my work! 

P1050705.JPG.4cc834435eafe0dc41ce6334803cb021.JPG

P1050706.JPG.57fcbfc4886fb7b6c85121f769199170.JPG

Did K1s run on your section of the ECML Tony? I know there were some in the south - March shed for sure.

Regards

Tony

Lovely work, Tony.

Yes, K1s did run through Little Bytham, but they were not all that common (most of their work being on the joint line from March).

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

My first lockdown project was the LRM D2 I showed about a month ago (that’s probably about 100 pages back now so I’ve included a photo again)

965E3CB5-54C2-4164-A7E0-9006DB60F484.jpeg.8c87482794e908613ea276900f199ca0.jpeg

This has been on the cards for a while but lockdown gave me the perfect opportunity to rip up my layout and start again. The old one was infuriating as it had no fiddle yard and the track relied on fishplates for electrical conductivity. I wanted to model a real location and settled on Tuxford North as it offered everything I wanted in a fairly compact space. This is my first proper layout (proper in the sense that I’m using streamline points for the first time and non set-track curves). I have a fiddle yard and the electrics have been done properly with only a pair of point motors to wire up now.

image.jpg.d54eca263ec7c8febf0c6d08e7a0a756.jpg

image.jpg.8da9d782f2a14f10f27dd89f1c3d5f4c.jpg

Apologies for the mess in the photos but the layout is still very much under construction.

Jamie

I like the curves you've got going there. I wouldn't apologise as I think the mess is a honest reflection of what layouts look like under construction - certainly mine do.

Al

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

My lockdown project is almost the opposite of RA9 main line Locomotives:

This is “Spencer” which ran on the Harrogate Gas works railway. A modified Hunslet WD 4-6-0.

It is a Langley kit on a Minitrix 2-6-2 chassis. Both much modified. This has been a build that is best described as a challenge!

It is nearly complete now though the body is only resting on the chassis and smokebox door and handle are not fixed yet. Plenty of cleaning up to do.

Jon

Looks very characterful.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1