Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I think you'll have to limit that question to specific classes of locos and specified dates, otherwise the answer might be a very long one with many ifs and buts, i.e. the answer for your J10 won't be applicable to all other locos. Even the answer for a specific class of loco on a specific date may not be cut and dried.....

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Tony, I take the DC/DCC banter in good part and have even been known to fan the flames myself from time to time. However, that really is a rather silly thing to write.

If you're that bothered by it just send the loco with the decoder separately.

Good morning John,

Why is it a silly thing to write?

Every single loco I've built in which I've fitted a chip, NEVER runs as well as it did before. OK, if I'm then powering it with straight DC, I expect a difference in performance (not starting as smoothly, for instance). However, even when DCC-power is then applied, it takes ages (in my experience) to faff around with the CVs in order to get the thing running as well (not better) than it did on old-fashioned analogue. In many cases it never runs as well. 

I've lost count of the hours spent on Peterborough North trying to get locos to run (always kit-built, and not all by me) as well as they did before a chip was installed. 

Ask Tom Foster. I built him a GWR Pannier which ran 'perfectly' on analogue. I installed a (recommended) decoder and it then ran dreadfully (on DCC). Why, I don't know. I was told by an expert in the field that not all motors suit DCC operation. As far as I know, it's never run properly since.

Why is it considered rather silly if I merely comment on my own findings? I'm not talking one or two DCC-fits here - it's dozens. 

Perhaps it's silly of others to make such comments when they've nowhere near the same experience in loco kit-building. And, it's always kit-built locos where I've had the DCC problems. None before a chip is fitted, but umpteen afterwards! 

Anyway, if I don't fit the chip in the C2 here, Jesse will have to pay someone to do it for him. Unless you volunteer.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Why is it a silly thing to write?

Every single loco I've built in which I've fitted a chip, NEVER runs as well as it did before. OK, if I'm then powering it with straight DC, I expect a difference in performance (not starting as smoothly, for instance). However, even when DCC-power is then applied, it takes ages (in my experience) to faff around with the CVs in order to get the thing running as well (not better) than it did on old-fashioned analogue. In many cases it never runs as well. 

I've lost count of the hours spent on Peterborough North trying to get locos to run (always kit-built, and not all by me) as well as they did before a chip was installed. 

Ask Tom Foster. I built him a GWR Pannier which ran 'perfectly' on analogue. I installed a (recommended) decoder and it then ran dreadfully (on DCC). Why, I don't know. I was told by an expert in the field that not all motors suit DCC operation. As far as I know, it's never run properly since.

Why is it considered rather silly if I merely comment on my own findings? I'm not talking one or two DCC-fits here - it's dozens. 

Perhaps it's silly of others to make such comments when they've nowhere near the same experience in loco kit-building. And, it's always kit-built locos where I've had the DCC problems. None before a chip is fitted, but umpteen afterwards! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Then don't fit the chip!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I think you'll have to limit that question to specific classes of locos and specified dates, otherwise the answer might be a very long one with many ifs and buts, i.e. the answer for your J10 won't be applicable to all other locos. Even the answer for a specific class of loco on a specific date may not be cut and dried.....

Thanks for the prompt reply, the period its for is the mid thirties, if anyone can help.

Robert

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Then don't fit the chip!

I'm afraid it was part of the service, John,

If someone commissions you to build a loco and requests it to be DCC-fitted, what does one do? 

Which, in a way, puzzles me when folk adopt a system where they cannot install the components for it themselves. This has been mentioned before, and I'm delighted for firms who earn good money from installing chips in locos - even those which are DCC-ready and need no soldering. 

I know when John Houlden and I were building locos for Peterborough North, we always loathed the fitting-of-the-decoder part of the process. 

Is it naturally more-difficult to have to hard-wire in a decoder? It must be, especially as most current RTR needs no more than the removal of the blanking plug and its being replaced with a decoder. I know from my experience that all-metal locos (kit-built ones essentially) do present more problems for DCC that plastic-bodied ones.

But, we've all been here before.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for posting this here but I've tried in the wanted and S&D sections of the site so thought I would try here.

WANTED.

Alan Gibson kit for;

LMS Standard 2P 4-4-0 

SDJR 7F 2-8-0, 1914 series with small boiler and Deeley tender

They are to be built to OO gauge so with or without wheels is fine.

Would prefer unstarted kits but would consider started so long as it is to a good standard and there are no missing or damaged parts.

I realise there are perfectly good RTR examples available but I have been asked to source and build these so thought I would ask in the hope that somebody out there has a couple of 'shelf queens' they are happy to part with.

Happy to pay a fair price.

Many thanks, Jerry 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Headstock said:

Nope, same mistake. It would be, tint in tin. Glottal stop, followed by silent T. Are you French?

I am reminded of a long running joke between Terry Wogan and his Radio 2 producer Dr Wally......................Tintern Abbey.....'Tis.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

As some are moving on to their first post lock down project I present you all with one of my lock down projects. I didn’t really have a grand project rather a series of small ones 90AD3135-C0D0-4727-BFC9-D6B8E9357EEA.jpeg.ad4e342c37566b676fd3300a8f65779f.jpeg and the picture shows my 16’ hunslet featured at the beginning of the year. Tony had a look at it and persuaded it to run in a satisfactory manner earlier this year (as reported earlier) but since then I’ve touched up the paint work and given it a light weathering. The hopper was also a lock down project. Other project s are on going but the J10 is nearly ready.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Are the BR Mk.3s the most-successful carriage ever to run on a British railway?

385538039_HornbyCrossCountryMk_3s02.jpg.d1896781f574d397d7358f62f85ae636.jpg

Hornby's latest manifestation of the type. 

They are probably the best.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember where I just saw this linked (somewhere on Facebook I think) - but I've never seen this much Silver Jubilee footage. 

edit: It was posted on British Rail Old School group on Facebook.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, queensquare said:

Apologies for posting this here but I've tried in the wanted and S&D sections of the site so thought I would try here.

WANTED.

Alan Gibson kit for;

LMS Standard 2P 4-4-0 

SDJR 7F 2-8-0, 1914 series with small boiler and Deeley tender

They are to be built to OO gauge so with or without wheels is fine.

Would prefer unstarted kits but would consider started so long as it is to a good standard and there are no missing or damaged parts.

I realise there are perfectly good RTR examples available but I have been asked to source and build these so thought I would ask in the hope that somebody out there has a couple of 'shelf queens' they are happy to part with.

Happy to pay a fair price.

Many thanks, Jerry 

Hi Jerry,

I have got both, will need to check the 7F as to which tender it has. Drop me a PM

Kind regards

Duncan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Are the BR Mk.3s the most-successful carriage ever to run on a British railway?

385538039_HornbyCrossCountryMk_3s02.jpg.d1896781f574d397d7358f62f85ae636.jpg

Hornby's latest manifestation of the type. 

Maybe - though not my favourite due to seating and window pillars clashing. My favourite BR coach (as a passenger) was the Mk 2 - all swish and modern (back in the 70's !!).

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Maybe - though not my favourite due to seating and window pillars clashing. My favourite BR coach (as a passenger) was the Mk 2 - all swish and modern (back in the 70's !!).

Brit15

Ah, Yes!

Memories of riding behind Deltics in Mk.2Ds, where the SOs had a different bodyshell to the FOs. They were great carriages as well.

Having ridden in a Virgin Voyager (once), I was not impressed. Even in 1st Class (I was on a magazine commission), I had a pillar right in the middle of my field of view. I've never ridden in a Pendolino, so cannot comment from personal experience, and the Azumas' seats were hard.

Actually, the most comfortable ride I ever had in a carriage was sleeping in it overnight (not a sleeping car). A mate and I had spent a weekend in South Wales, visiting, among other locations, Barry Docks when the numbers of withdrawn locos was increasing to huge numbers, in 1966. We returned back to Crewe (and thence to Chester) on an overnight Cardiff-Manchester service, Warship-hauled via The Marches. A Gresley end-door FK (now downgraded to 2nd) acted as a strengthener (surely one of the last in service?), and my mate and I bagged a compartment. With the arm rests raised, we both had comfortable 'beds'. Until the carriage was removed at Shrewsbury!

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 6

On 18/07/2020 at 21:46, w124bob said:

Surely the interior should be nicotine yellow!, OT but can you tell the name of the layout you photographed on the  Southern Pride website? cheers.

I haven't looked at the SP website, but it could well be Stoke Summit.

Many of Dave Lewis' products (built by him and members of Wolverhampton MRC) ran on the layout, including The Elizabethan, The Heart of Midlothian, The Tees-Tyne Pullman, The Master Cutler and the Anglo Scottish Car Carrier, as well as individual cars in many other trains. In fact, several of the carriage types were designed for the layout, and then made available for general sale. 

Many SP carriages also ran on Charwelton.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah, Yes!

Memories of riding behind Deltics in Mk.2Ds, where the SOs had a different bodyshell to the FOs. They were great carriages as well.

Having ridden in a Virgin Voyager (once), I was not impressed. Even in 1st Class (I was on a magazine commission), I had a pillar right in the middle of my field of view. I've never ridden in a Pendolino, so cannot comment from personal experience, and the Azumas' seats were hard.

Actually, the most comfortable ride I ever had in a carriage was sleeping in it overnight (not a sleeping car). A mate and I had spent a weekend in South Wales, visiting, among other locations, Barry Docks when the numbers of withdrawn locos was increasing to huge numbers, in 1966. We returned back to Crewe (and thence to Chester) on an overnight Cardiff-Manchester service, Warship-hauled via The Marches. A Gresley end-door FK (now downgraded to 2nd) acted as a strengthener (surely one of the last in service?), and my mate and I bagged a compartment. With the arm rests raised, we both had comfortable 'beds'. Until the carriage was removed at Shrewsbury!

Regards,

Tony.  

In the autumn of 1963 we were returning from Biggleswade to Godalming.

Our train to King's Cross was a business train hauled by an EE type 4. The train was packed,

but there was a Gresley FK in the train { complete with cream 1st class cantrail stripe ) which

was virtually empty. We elected to stand in the corridor. When the ticket inspector came along

he said " we are not stopping any more, you might as well sit in there ", pointing to an empty

compartment. The best ride I've ever had ?. Certainly.

Also the previous train to ours through Biggleswade was hauled by 60139 Sea Eagle, even at

this late date, and was thus the last steam loco I ever saw at King's Cross.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

In the autumn of 1963 we were returning from Biggleswade to Godalming.

Our train to King's Cross was a business train hauled by an EE type 4. The train was packed,

but there was a Gresley FK in the train { complete with cream 1st class cantrail stripe ) which

was virtually empty. We elected to stand in the corridor. When the ticket inspector came along

he said " we are not stopping any more, you might as well sit in there ", pointing to an empty

compartment. The best ride I've ever had ?. Certainly.

Also the previous train to ours through Biggleswade was hauled by 60139 Sea Eagle, even at

this late date, and was thus the last steam loco I ever saw at King's Cross.

How times have changed.

These days you would be charged the first class fare if you were seen standing in the corridor.

Bernard

• Agree 3

51 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Tony, below are pictures of the latest two wagons I've completed. The fish van is an old Falcon/Jidenco kit; the OCT is the D&S kit, with the car from Oxford Diecast. Please excuse the slight discrepancy between wagon and car dates - picture the very late 1920s, with one of the very first of this model travelling to its new owner on a very old carriage truck that's long overdue for a visit to the paint shop to be re-liveried for LNER use...;)):

1782443561_FalconFishfinalcrop(1).jpg.fc3e7a29717b9bc59d3f2e5370c0da07.jpg

1941994373_GNROCTwithloadcrop(1).jpg.f40c6f6f6e3092686c7178d5daad4a05.jpg

Next up will be an London Road Models LNER C12... though I might give in to the temptation of another quick wagon beforehand. Unlike biscuits and sweets, they never spoil the appetite for the Main Course builds to follow... :D

Splendid work Chas,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1