Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Years ago you knew who the cricketers were.

These days they tend to be on the sports roundup of the news.

I think they are a great example of the dangers of pay TV.

I think F1 will be the next victim. Used to watch most weekends, now not seen one in three I think years.

The only two sports I follow to any degree are tennis and F1, and both have been getting harder to watch on free channels over the last few years.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Selection? Definitely Broad and (especially as its his home ground) Anderson for the next test. 

Oh dear!  For those people who extol the importance of good grammar and punctuation, has an apostrophe been omitted (it's) ?

The question is asked solely in the interest of using correct punctuation.

2 hours ago, MJI said:

I think they are a great example of the dangers of pay TV.

I think F1 will be the next victim. Used to watch most weekends, now not seen one in three I think years.

I don't need to watch TV to see motor cars driving round and round in a procession and occasionally crashing; the M25 is quite near and I can just pop up and watch from one of the overbridges.

;-)

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

33 minutes ago, Bonafide said:

Oh dear!  For those people who extol the importance of good grammar and punctuation, has an apostrophe been omitted (it's) ?

The question is asked solely in the interest of using correct punctuation.

It has indeed,

And you have my most-profuse apology.

That apostrophe is probably the most incorrectly-used/abused of all the lot. In my proofing for BRM, it's the one I have to alter the most, when folk use it in the possessive sense, where it shouldn't be used at all.

I'll correct it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, grahame said:

I don't need to watch TV to see motor cars driving round and round in a procession and occasionally crashing; the M25 is quite near and I can just pop up and watch from one of the overbridges.

;-)

Sadly, having driven the M25 (& M3) regularly every week day (I use the past tense, as since COVID I've been working from home), this is all too true. Too many out there thinking they are the next Schumacher, Senna or Hamilton, with the inevitable outcome happening all too frequently recently, especially on the (not so smart) M3 motorway. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I inherited no noticable sporting talent although I did get roped in literally to make up the numbers for a side that a local solicitor got together in Doncaster. If they only had 10 players, I would tag along as a non bowling No 11 batsman. I think my top score was 3, when I accidentally hit the ball once.

I could bowl slow and straight and used to warm up our batsman in the nets. One time we batted first and made a good score. The opposition faltered and needed 42 off the last over. The captain gave me the ball and offered me my moment of glory, I ran up for the first ball and collapsed with cramp!

My only redeeming feature was my catching. I could pluck a very quick moving ball out of the air fairly easily.  

Tony (G) your cricket skills sound like mine. I played one proper game as a fill in 30-35 years ago when most of the team went to a wedding. I batted at 11 and didn't bowl. I was out for 0 in the first innings but 3 not out in the second saving an outright defeat. All 3 runs were singles through the slips!

My sports were hockey and tennis. I even filled in playing 5 games of hockey last year in the bottom team in my club. Most of the other players were in their twenties! 35-40 years younger than me! Now I only play golf for exercise.

Andrew

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hypocrophrally, the reason the Americans can't get on with cricket (despite being a former colony) is that they can't get their heads round the concept of playing a game for five days which ends up in a draw.

Good afternoon Graham,

Seeing that I've been been picked-up on a spelling blooper, I assume you mean apocryphally? I've never come across hypocrophrally.

Are we all fair game in the grammar/spelling sport? 

I don't mind if I'm picked up on my bloopers (I should be), but, as I've mentioned of late, some folk are very sensitive about their transgressions regarding spelling and grammar (I don't think you are, on the past-evidence of our verbal jousting). 

I don't think bloopers matter too much on threads such as this. Anyway, as I've just done, mistakes can be instantly-corrected.  Chamby has noted how our English standards have been 'eroded' in the interests of being 'inclusive'. I do regret that, and our great mother tongue's rules are in danger of being diluted almost to the point of their being of no necessity. 

However, this is a model railway thread and I think there's a danger of diverting it away from what it should be (for which I admit guilt!); all about showing model-making, not diverging into trivia (though I don't put discussions on cricket into that category!). 

Still, it can be fun.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can empathise with Clive.  I had a games teacher for a mother, who could play any sport to a good standard especially ball games such as hockey.My father was also a county standard tennis player. My brother certainly inherited those genes and got a place at an FE college to study PE as it was known n the late 60's.  However he also managed to get recruited by BOAC and became a pilot and probably got better paid.   However the genes passed me by completely and there is absolutely no connection between where I intend a ball to go as to where it actually does go.   If our school 1st 11 or 15 were playing another school on a Saturday we were forced to stay at school to watch the match till 16.30 (It was a boarding school but I was a day boy).  I got so bored that I started volunteering to tallywag and then score and ended up as the first team scorer.  I thoroughly enjoyed that and still love watching and listening to test matches.   The saving grace for me at school was seeing the nameplate "GIGGLESWICK" over the dining room door as we went in for meals.  O S Nock was an old boy and reportedly nobbled a director of the LMS to get a loco named after his old school.   Sadly the plate was sold a few years ago but one day I will build a Patriot to carry that name.

Jamie

• Like 9

3 hours ago, rowanj said:

I enjoyed the photos of the various B16 builds.A tip I got from Arthur Kimber when I was building mine, and a thing the older kits always got wrong, was that the rear handrail of NER tenders was a bar welded to the tender back, rather than handrail knobs. Not a big deal, but it does save a couple...

Thanks for that, John,

I didn't know, which means my models with NER tenders are probably wrong. 

1026183792_B16tender.jpg.8cd47be130494003b35283450a9ab08e.jpg

Apologies for the poor scan.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

I seem to be requested to solve so many puzzles.

For instance, yesterday a local friend phoned up asking me questions about a Hornby FLYING SCOTSMAN he'd bought prior to lockdown. His layout is based 'somewhere' on the LNER, pre-War. 

'I've bought this Hornby FLYING SCOTSMAN in plain black which seems ideal for my layout's period (with just 'NE' on the tender) but there must be a mistake because it's got different numbers on the cabsides'.

I asked him about it, with questions such as 'Which side is the drive on, does it have a double chimney and does it have a corridor tender?'. 

2006398047_HornbyFLYINGSCOTSMANNo.10301.jpg.288375e6802d998811fe7ea4e530acb4.jpg

Clearly, the model is wholly inappropriate for FLYING SCOTSMAN in any LNER condition. I told him this, much to his dismay. 

'It's also got German-style deflectors supplied with it. What should I do?'. 

I told him that I thought it represents the loco immediately after its most-recent overhaul, before being painted in BR green. 

'How do I stick the deflectors on?'. 

'You don't, you'll make a mess! (I'm very sensitive with regard to all my friends' feelings). Bring it round and I'll do it'.  

Anyway, I've now done that................... And it seems I've lost the front top lamp bracket in the process. Why is modern RTR so flimsy? 

1722427884_HornbyFLYINGSCOTSMANNo.10302.jpg.8fecdc0a558f1127e388fe229c11cae5.jpg

I wonder if this particular model (representing a very short time period) will become a collector's item?

My friend's happy with it, which is the main thing, and he's donated something to CRUK. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grob1234 said:

Not the best picture perhaps, but at least I'm able to practise some off-set lining using my bow-compasses:

IMG_6568.JPG.2606277834f4dee80d90ada72f119225.JPG

Without doubt the hardest bit is the cab front. I'm tackling that with a brush...

Interesting method of holding the loco body you have there......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Graham,

Seeing that I've been been picked-up on a spelling blooper, I assume you mean apocryphally? I've never come across hypocrophrally.

Are we all fair game in the grammar/spelling sport? 

I don't mind if I'm picked up on my bloopers (I should be), but, as I've mentioned of late, some folk are very sensitive about their transgressions regarding spelling and grammar (I don't think you are, on the past-evidence of our verbal jousting). 

I don't think bloopers matter too much on threads such as this. Anyway, as I've just done, mistakes can be instantly-corrected.  Chamby has noted how our English standards have been 'eroded' in the interests of being 'inclusive'. I do regret that, and our great mother tongue's rules are in danger of being diluted almost to the point of their being of no necessity. 

However, this is a model railway thread and I think there's a danger of diverting it away from what it should be (for which I admit guilt!); all about showing model-making, not diverging into trivia (though I don't put discussions on cricket into that category!). 

Still, it can be fun.

Regards,

Tony. 

Personally, as a 47 y.o. I am of the generation that tolerates breaking of the grammar rules.  I get infuriated at use of apostrophes to make plurals (and the use of "Like" in speech, instead of a pause or "Um, Err") but so long as I can understand what the person means, who cares....?

Rather someone have something worthwhile to say, despite the "errors" of a regional/national dialect, than use perfect diction/grammar but talk utter codswallop.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I was wondering if i could pick people's brains on cleaning up after soldering brass? At the moment i've been using soda crystals in water, but i think that the current project will require something a bit more heavy duty. I've heard that some people use cif to get rid of stubborn tarnishing etc, I'm just not sure which particular one to go for, since their range is pretty large. Other suggestions are welcome of course.

7 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I was wondering if i could pick people's brains on cleaning up after soldering brass? At the moment i've been using soda crystals in water, but i think that the current project will require something a bit more heavy duty. I've heard that some people use cif to get rid of stubborn tarnishing etc, I'm just not sure which particular one to go for, since their range is pretty large. Other suggestions are welcome of course.

People will laugh and tut, but I have used cheap coca cola. It's very effective at removing tarnish. Just give it a good wash in clean warm water after, and dry quickly to avoid water marks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

People will laugh and tut, but I have used cheap coca cola. It's very effective at removing tarnish. Just give it a good wash in clean warm water after, and dry quickly to avoid water marks.

That's actually an interesting suggestion and makes sense.

2 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Not the best picture perhaps, but at least I'm able to practise some off-set lining using my bow-compasses:

IMG_6568.JPG.2606277834f4dee80d90ada72f119225.JPG

Without doubt the hardest bit is the cab front. I'm tackling that with a brush...

Great stuff Tom, very nicely done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1