Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I made my own special Imperial measuring stick for this wagon measuring exercise:

1475089228_1SideviewincH3inchgraduatedscale.jpg.bf7bc6d2063c126e3149edf11ea6e22b.jpg

Or would you have preferred the picture showing Big Al holding it upright? I'm not sure if that would breach his right to privacy.....

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Chamby said:

Amazing that the Station Road bridge is still standing intact after all these years.  So much of our national railway infrastructure has completely disappeared since Dr Beeching had his day.  

Morning All

Poor old Dr Beeching still being blamed  for closing railways , all he did was report and recommend,  it was the politicians who did the deed hiding behind his name ! Indeed the Labour Party who won an election on the back of promising to stop the cuts . Then went onto close more track mileage than the previous government,  right into the 1970s all in the name of Beeching.

On the modelling front I have completed all my track building which has involved making twenty odd points during lockdown, so back to my K3 . Results to follow shortly , I hope.

Dennis

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

44 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Or would you have preferred the picture showing Big Al holding it upright? I'm not sure if that would breach his right to privacy.....

If you persuaded him  to sign a model agreement form it would be OK.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

An interesting subject - what's the provenance, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A bit of two by one wood and some black and white paint.

Should I leave now?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, D.Platt said:

Poor old Dr Beeching still being blamed  for closing railways , all he did was report and recommend,  it was the politicians who did the deed hiding behind his name !

Not forgetting all the lines that closed before he started his report.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2020 at 17:44, Daniel W said:

At the moment i've been using soda crystals in water, but i think that the current project will require something a bit more heavy duty. I've heard that some people use cif to get rid of stubborn tarnishing etc,

You need a basic cream cleaner (or even some sodium bicarb' made into a paste). The gritty texture will help clean off tarnishing whilst being an alkaline will neutralise any remaining acid based flux.

Steven B.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I made my own special Imperial measuring stick for this wagon measuring exercise:

1475089228_1SideviewincH3inchgraduatedscale.jpg.bf7bc6d2063c126e3149edf11ea6e22b.jpg

1 2 3 4 5 every 3 inches

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

An interesting subject - what's the provenance, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Wagon?  Appleby Frodingham all steel peak-ended ironstone hopper photographed about 6 years ago (or more?) "somewhere round the back" (i.e Eastern side) of the more active parts of the main Scunthorpe steelworks site. I think it is in the hands of the App-Frod preservation society, but seemed at the time to be in the care of the steelworks weather. 

I know a man who can make some very nice transfers for the pre WW2 liveries on these wagons.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Clem said:

A little update. My ex-rocking and rolling J39/1 is now complete but no longer jiving like a Teddy boy. I put a new rear wheelset on it and it's been weathered. Seen below slowly pulling a short train out of the goods yard. The train has actually been placed there for entry into the workshop and returned after this short demo vid.  The containers need shackles adding. I also need to do brackets and a lamp on the brakevan, load in the open wagon.

Very nice!

kind regards

Iain

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clem said:

A little update. My ex-rocking and rolling J39/1 is now complete but no longer jiving like a Teddy boy. I put a new rear wheelset on it and it's been weathered. Seen below slowly pulling a short train out of the goods yard. The train has actually been placed there for entry into the workshop and returned after this short demo vid.  The containers need shackles adding. I also need to do brackets and a lamp on the brakevan, load in the open wagon.

Lovely work as always Clem.  

Regards,

Frank

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Morning All

Poor old Dr Beeching still being blamed  for closing railways , all he did was report and recommend,  it was the politicians who did the deed hiding behind his name ! Indeed the Labour Party who won an election on the back of promising to stop the cuts . Then went onto close more track mileage than the previous government,  right into the 1970s all in the name of Beeching.

On the modelling front I have completed all my track building which has involved making twenty odd points during lockdown, so back to my K3 . Results to follow shortly , I hope.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Another forgotten fact the Western Region closed more ex GWR branch lines before the Beeching report than after it. 

As you say his report was recommendations, some lines that his report suggested should close remain open and some that were not in his report have long been shut. The report included many things that did save the railways money, like the closure of many labour intensified small goods yards. Unfortunately he does get blamed for the decrease in the number of slow moving pick up goods train so loved by us railway modellers with all that shunting. People forget that BR stopped being a common carrier before the good Doctor's report, so was lossing traffic already. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The railway network in this country started to shrink in 1929.   Something else people tend to overlook.

In the West of England and South Wales, the shrinkage was completed in 1892. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

You could always say that you used a ranging rod, which is a 2m long measuring instrument used by surveyors. That covers the correct terminology and explains it to those who don't know what one is.

But I'd have to have known it was called a ranging rod in the first place. However, I didn't. 

I do know now, though.

Regards,

Tony. 

3 hours ago, Clem said:

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man.

Ah, what fabulous news! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

4 hours ago, Clem said:

Lovely work, Clem.

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

I'm sure there will be many who are delighted to hear the news.  I know several excellent modellers who have invested significant time and effort in helping Roy to build Retford and the thought of all their efforts potentially being destroyed was upsetting to say the least.  I look forward to hearing more about how Retford is to be progressed to completion.

Thank you for telling us Tony. 

• Agree 5

35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

848218281_Retford12101923O21onGN.jpg.7d0d26a5de3a752a7988e2143149eb0b.jpg

225069556_Retford12101924V2approachingcrossing.jpg.4d8e388b41d554aff79409ea6d415a72.jpg

1873957986_Retford12101927FLYINGSCOTSMAN.jpg.14323b4ebb046966742498e8545bb754.jpg

1017537708_Retford12101929D11.jpg.0f13904bda314e40a2a647d067503569.jpg

553050216_Retford12101931A4byfootbridge.jpg.e1da3086c52952344a890715f258b4f4.jpg

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

Fantastic news. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3