Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Prior to the closure of Little Bytham's station in 1959, there was a Saturday DMU service between Peterborough and Lincoln which used the main line as far as Barkston Junction, calling at all stations.

Ever since I've tried to represent it, going north the destination blind shows 'Welwyn Garden City', and south, 'Kings Cross (York Way)'. That's what Bachmann supplied for its RTR Cravens DMU. 

Oddly (or is it?), no visitors have ever pointed out the incorrectness. But, I knew! 

Fortunately, Ian Wilson (Pacific Models), has now  produced some most-appropriate 4mm self-adhesive DMU destination blinds - in this case East Midlands (ER) ones. 

116370391_DMUdestinationblinds01.jpg.6b7c77d83257949ecbfdfc7ded4b68c0.jpg

9839874_DMUdestinationblinds02.jpg.c0a122f20b9bccc5c39d0d96e8b04f1e.jpg

1288120289_DMUdestinationblinds03.jpg.a00307592ade85022ebbebf9461cafa0.jpg

401107500_DMUdestinationblinds04.jpg.7cd5fa82c10a67e49323bf3e6f5b8936.jpg

The trick is to cover them with Sellotape before cutting them from the parent sheet (to give a surface sheen), taking out the white edges with a black felt-tip pen, then just sticking them in place over the originals. 

Yes, this means they're stuck on outside, but has anyone ever tried getting into a Bachmann DMU? When I tried (with the intention of fitting a driver and passengers) all I got were ominous cracking noises! 

Ian can be contacted on ian@pacificstudio.co.uk

Other areas are available as well

I think they're excellent. 

This also shows what an excellent model the Bachmann Cravens unit is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

4 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Lovely work as always Clem.  

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind comment. I've bitten the bullet and banged an order in for a set of Ultrascale wheels for my next 0-6-0, whatever and whenever that may be. (Could be J5, J6 or a J39/3). A quick question: it's been a long time since I last used Ultrascale. Can you remind me, are the crankpin screws 14BA as Alan Gibsons wheels? If it's a J39,  I'll need to tap the crank for the lubricator drive on the RHS. 

Cheers

Clem.

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately, Ian Wilson (Pacific Models), has now  produced some most-appropriate 4mm self-adhesive DMU destination blinds - in this case East Midlands (ER) ones. 

401107500_DMUdestinationblinds04.jpg.7cd5fa82c10a67e49323bf3e6f5b8936.jpg

What lovely weathering.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Prior to the closure of Little Bytham's station in 1959, there was a Saturday DMU service between Peterborough and Lincoln which used the main line as far as Barkston Junction, calling at all stations.

Ever since I've tried to represent it, going north the destination blind shows 'Welwyn Garden City', and south, 'Kings Cross (York Way)'. That's what Bachmann supplied for its RTR Cravens DMU. 

Oddly (or is it?), no visitors have ever pointed out the incorrectness. But, I knew! 

There could well be precedents for these "wrong" destinations.  I have a photo from late 1985 of an unfamiliar DMU which had just reversed at Whitland in West Wales , which I'd noted had "Altrincham" on the destination blind at the front end on arrival.

Good evening Tony. I may be mistaken but I would have thought that this service would have been a class 114. (E500xx/E560xx twins). Not being a diesel person, does anyone make these. They were the only type you ever seemed to get on the ER around Nottingham, Derby and Grantham - at least before about 1962/3.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind comment. I've bitten the bullet and banged an order in for a set of Ultrascale wheels for my next 0-6-0, whatever and whenever that may be. (Could be J5, J6 or a J39/3). A quick question: it's been a long time since I last used Ultrascale. Can you remind me, are the crankpin screws 14BA as Alan Gibsons wheels? If it's a J39,  I'll need to tap the crank for the lubricator drive on the RHS. 

Cheers

Clem.

Hi Clem,

Yes they are 14BA.  Not sure that the same applies to AG crank pins because they are not interchangeable in my experience.  I tried to use an AG crank pin screw in an Ultrascale flush crankpin nut a few weeks ago and it wouldn't go all the way through.   I think  AG screws  are metric  (1mm ?)  but I could be wrong, I often am.  I thought I'd say it before someone else does.

Please let me know when they arrive because I'd be devastated  if they take longer than the time I suggested to you. 

Frank 

2 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Clem,

Yes they are 14BA.  Not sure that the same applies to AG crank pins because they are not interchangeable in my experience.  I tried to use an AG crank pin screw in an Ultrascale flush crankpin nut a few weeks ago and it wouldn't go all the way through.   I think  AG screws  are metric  (1mm ?)  but I could be wrong, I often am.  I thought I'd say it before someone else does.

Please let me know when they arrive because I'd be devastated  if they take longer than the time I suggested to you. 

Frank 

Ha ha!! Don't be devastated, Frank! I'm very patient and I have years of railway projects to do, so I won't be stuck! But I will let you know how long they take. If it's 3 months, that would be very acceptable. They don't appear to have the range these days that they used to have.

Yes you could be correct about AG cramkpins being metric, but they're a little less than 1mm. I've measured them at around 0.94 mm on average over the outside of the thread. When I tap return cranks with a 14BA tap, they usually go on quite easily. But maybe where you have a precise 14BA nut, it's a little tighter than a hand tapped  crank.

• RMweb Premium

47 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It's worth keeping in mind here that it isn't simply the layout that has changed hands. It's also Roy's former home as the whole lot came as a package. We can all be thankful that someone who appreciates the true value of it all has taken it on. Retford will be in good and safe hands.

I understand all Roy's locos and stock are included in the sale too. :smile_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, polybear said:

I understand all Roy's locos and stock are included in the sale too. :smile_mini2:

Indeed, but not all the stock that was used on Retford, as it did not all belong to Roy, especially coaching stock on the GC side. Some of the ECML trains were not Roy's either as he was loaned some stock that came from another, now defunct layout. That stock was all disposed of by its owner after Roy passed away.

Edited by robertcwp
To make it make sense!
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hi Clem,

AG crankpins are M1, but I also use 14BA taps on return cranks with no problems.

Good news about Retford too

Cheers Pete. Yes, that's brilliant news. A fantastic piece of modelling by a team of top class craftsmen. I hope a future visit isn't out of the question after this virus has been mitigated.

Great news about Retford - I can hear Roy saying something now...... probably swearing!

We only spoke occasionally, but it always went strangely philosophical... I miss that.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

7 hours ago, gr.king said:

Wagon?  Appleby Frodingham all steel peak-ended ironstone hopper photographed about 6 years ago (or more?) "somewhere round the back" (i.e Eastern side) of the more active parts of the main Scunthorpe steelworks site. I think it is in the hands of the App-Frod preservation society, but seemed at the time to be in the care of the steelworks weather. 

I know a man who can make some very nice transfers for the pre WW2 liveries on these wagons.....

I couldn't make out the peaked end - now that you've told me, it's obvious!

Thanks,

John.

35 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Great news about Retford - I can hear Roy saying something now...... probably swearing!

We only spoke occasionally, but it always went strangely philosophical... I miss that.

Tony

The new owner is someone who knew Roy for years, but that might not affect the colour of the language coming from beyond the grave.

Roy was wrong in one respect though. He didn't think anyone else would want to take it on. Fortunately, things have turned out differently.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

Dammit! The great man talked me in to building one of the remaining signals for the layout - so I'll suppose I'll have to knuckle down and make the bally thing now ...

Seriously, great news and hopefully I can maybe do a little more than just the one signal?

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

How will you manage the ECML gauge change?  I think you need to have a transshipment shed at the very least.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that out of all the possible outcomes for Retford, the news that we have been given is about the best we could have hoped for.

Hopefully the "Retford Mob" will reform and go into the fray once more, once the present situation with social gatherings has been resolved.

Mind you, I haven't seen any restrictions on anti-social gatherings, so we might be exempt!  

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

116370391_DMUdestinationblinds01.jpg.6b7c77d83257949ecbfdfc7ded4b68c0.jpg

The trick is to cover them with Sellotape before cutting them from the parent sheet (to give a surface sheen), taking out the white edges with a black felt-tip pen, then just sticking them in place over the originals. 

Yes, this means they're stuck on outside, but has anyone ever tried getting into a Bachmann DMU? When I tried (with the intention of fitting a driver and passengers) all I got were ominous cracking noises! 

Ian can be contacted on ian@pacificstudio.co.uk

Other areas are available as well

I think they're excellent. 

Hello Tony

Yes I did it twice tonight, second time because I forgot to put the cab interior back in.

001.jpg.bd32cd998d9410fc4a31cab7dbc68bcb.jpg

Three credit/bank cards and my library card to hold open the  eight clips.

002.jpg.616c9b5eda7c32f5ab3f516a3a21d8dd.jpg

The chassis falls out.

003.jpg.fd63b3db4c90814d6676e703176e9e36.jpg

To get at the destination display the cab interior is clipped out. The PCB come lighting is removed and I didn't drop the two tiny screws, in the red circle.

004.jpg.b88802c6a0b0493295466bb993c71c98.jpg

The rear of the destination display is glued in place. I didn't remove it as I am not in a position to change my destinations on my units as yet.

a015.jpg.df55f34211a0fa3d2ddb1ca25252e27c.jpg

Same unit a few moments later arriving at Sheffield exchange.

I do like the destination displays that you have fitted to your unit.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clem said:

Good evening Tony. I may be mistaken but I would have thought that this service would have been a class 114. (E500xx/E560xx twins). Not being a diesel person, does anyone make these. They were the only type you ever seemed to get on the ER around Nottingham, Derby and Grantham - at least before about 1962/3.

Hi Clem

Lincoln had a few Cravens units allocated to it as early as 1958.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Indeed, but not the stock that was used on Retford but did not belong to Roy, which was a fair chunk of it, especially coaching stock on the GC side. Some of the ECML trains were not Roy's either as he was loaned some stock that came from another, now defunct layout. That stock was all disposed of by its owner after Roy passed away.

Some items of stock that were on "long term semi permanent loan" were removed from the layout by their owners when the future of the layout was still undecided. I think that some of it may well re-appear, if the new owner would like it back. Mine will certainly be offered.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clem

Lincoln had a few Cravens units allocated to it as early as 1958.

Lincoln also had the original Derby Lightweight units. 

Wonderful news about Retford.  when I visited Roy Jackson and  Geoff Kent some years ago, Roy opined that the layout would have to be scrapped after he died.  I think he was pulling my leg; anyway I said it should be somewhere like the Science Museum as an exhibit and teaching aid for what the steam railway was.

DMU at Durham Ox c1955 (Roy Harrison).jpg

First Railcar in Lincoln 1955.jpg

• Like 14

12 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Morning All

Poor old Dr Beeching still being blamed  for closing railways , all he did was report and recommend,  it was the politicians who did the deed hiding behind his name ! Indeed the Labour Party who won an election on the back of promising to stop the cuts . Then went onto close more track mileage than the previous government,  right into the 1970s all in the name of Beeching.

On the modelling front I have completed all my track building which has involved making twenty odd points during lockdown, so back to my K3 . Results to follow shortly , I hope.

Dennis

At least the Labour government rejected Beeching Mark 2, which would have seen whole areas of the UK denuded of lines.  Beeching always said that the government did not go far enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Three credit/bank cards and my library card to hold open the  eight clips.

The chassis falls out.

I like the wider shim idea using credit card size pieces. I have to say I’ve not had the falling out experience yet, the tight spots on mine seem to be at the ends rather than sides on all the first generation Bachy Dmu’s 105 / 108 / DLW. The bit I’m working on at the moment is discretely fitting sound chips into them keeping the speaker and chip hidden.