Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Mentioned earlier, I have looked for my MTK standard 5 but it's being rather elusive at the moment, I have stock split between the garage and small bedroom (dump!) in the house.

While looking I remembered I'd posted a picture of it before somewhere in the MTK thread in the collectable/vintage section so hopefully I've copied the picture across.

The proportions look a bit off but I think it looks better in the metal than the picture, anyway it was built getting on for 40 years ago.

The big gap where the firebox should be is actually an XO4 motor, hint don't take low level photos of your toy trains!

image.png.21dbd02ea1203eacb5bb97c274389127.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking at those DJH Atlantics, something didn't quite seem right, so I have had a look at the real thing and compared the two.

There seems to be a dimensional problem at the front end that spoils the look.

On the real thing, the top slidebar is invisible, hidden behind the valance. The top front curve of the cylinder is visible above the front footplate. Even allowing for a thick whitemetal footplate, are the cylinders too low or the footplate too high? It looks to be a fault in the kit rather than the assembly as it is the same on every one I have seen.

39 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

A somewhat belated ‘snap’. This has been a lockdown project and is now just about complete.

D137C7B1-316A-442E-AC5A-375B463CAA6C.jpeg.9c82ff10adc88f3cad3fcdf3e82166e1.jpeg

I’m having some problems with the running on tighter curves - anything below about 40” - particularly Peco curved points where it seems to stall or derail the front bogie. Tony did you use full size 14mm bogie wheels or are yours slightly smaller diameter?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on a beautiful looking model.   With regards the problem you are experiencing with negotiating curved track I have recently had to consider the same problem with a replacement chassis that I've built for a Bachman C1.  I suspect that this is too late for you to consider for your model but for anyone else thinking of building one of these in the future my approach has been to extend the fixed wheelbase of the loco by anchoring the rear of the bogie to the main frames  directly above the rear axle of the bogie.  This does not extend the wheelbase significantly and my model will easily negotiate 36" radius curves (in EM).  This approach has several benefits these being:  There is no need to provide clearance in the frames for the rear bogie wheels.  By effectively making the loco behave more like a 2-6-2 it reduces buffer swing and the risk of buffer locking.  The bogie helps to steer the locomotive through the curves. 

The following photo of the  completed frames should help to illustrate how this was achieved.  The vertical pin that can just be seen directly above the rear bogie axle is inserted through a plate soldered between the frames and it is this that allows the back of the bogie to control the movement of the frames through the curves.  

IMG_2100.jpg.b2867fe2cd0378277afe4efcd213786b.jpg

Regards,

Frank

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

My modelling efforts can't compete with others on this thread, but this was the challenge for today, which arrived in this morning's post:

50152318216_d229778953_c.jpgP1080775AM by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The crimson and cream Bachmann Thompson corridor third/second is almost impossible to find. One changed hands on eBay recently for £80 (no, I didn't buy it). Much to my surprise, I found no fewer than four at £40 each second hand on the Hattons website. They had been 'weathered' by their previous owner. This turned out to be merely spraying the sides crudely, as illustrated, and nothing else. Consequently, they and the composite and brake third/second that came with them looked awful, including windows covered with paint as well as the body sides. Some were worse than others. The brake was probably worst of all but I didn't take any photos of it before I attacked it.

Hence, much of today has been spent cleaning up this mess. I have I think managed to rescue them. 

The next challenge is to work out how to re-wheel them. This may seem an odd thing to identify as a challenge but the way the Bachmann bogies are made makes it so, Normal 26 mm pinpoint axles rattle around and the metal on the inside of the bogies means it's not a simple case of fitting bearings. If anyone has re-wheeled these carriages, I would be grateful for any tips. They have to be re-wheeled eventually as they are destined for a well-known EM gauge layout.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

The next challenge is to work out how to re-wheel them. This may seem an odd thing to identify as a challenge but the way the Bachmann bogies are made makes it so, Normal 26 mm pinpoint axles rattle around and the metal on the inside of the bogies means it's not a simple case of fitting bearings. If anyone has re-wheeled these carriages, I would be grateful for any tips. They have to be re-wheeled eventually as they are destined for a well-known EM gauge layout.

Have a look at this from Alan Gibson.  It may give you an idea even if you choose not to buy the actual tool.

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/RTR Drill.pdf

Frank 

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

A somewhat belated ‘snap’. This has been a lockdown project and is now just about complete.

D137C7B1-316A-442E-AC5A-375B463CAA6C.jpeg.9c82ff10adc88f3cad3fcdf3e82166e1.jpeg7D7636BE-C1C2-4E58-9B6B-006C7050F85A.jpeg.357a04080b7a36f4d4252b783bcc2665.jpegDF3B2B4C-11F1-4512-ADE2-1726128A9AD5.jpeg.a1be15011ff6b4b7b4c57404efaa0a25.jpeg

It’s built using the DJH kit and will become 990’ Henry Oakley’ as preserved so that I can recreate the Plant Centenarian railtour and some of the service trains ran before that tour as tests.

I’ve spent a solid day today trying to get it running smoothly and I’ve made good progress as I hope this video shows

Sorry about the out of period quad art - the railtour stock is largely unbuilt as yet. Headstock of this parish is digging me out a stock list for the train (Any progress Andrew?) but it will need a lot of D.186 TOs and some catering vehicles - I have some, but most are in maroon, so I’ll either have to repaint or build more - a long term project. 

I’m having some problems with the running on tighter curves - anything below about 40” - particularly Peco curved points where it seems to stall or derail the front bogie. Tony did you use full size 14mm bogie wheels or are yours slightly smaller diameter?

I will run it in for a bit, but then comes the paint shop. Does anyone know of a source for GNR lining transfers? I recognise that LNER transfers would do for most, but the concave sections on the corners of the tender will be challenging. 

Andy

Good evening Andy,

Impressive workmanship, but might it be better to use .45mm nickel silver wire for the handrails? Far less chance of their bending.

I did use 14mm bogie/pony wheels, but new ones with RP25 profile flanges. The ones on your C2 seem to be the old-style 14mm Romfords - too large a flange, and two too many spokes as well. Please change them.

Regards,

Tony.  

9 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Have a look at this from Alan Gibson.  It may give you an idea even if you choose not to buy the actual tool.

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/RTR Drill.pdf

Frank 

Thanks, that looks like an interesting tool to have. However, the problem here is a different one. Here is a view of the bogie:

50151914073_96755bb3d1_c.jpgP1080776am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The metal inside already give an excellent pinpoint bearing. Taking this out would make the spacing even wider, and too wide for 26 mm axles even with new bearings. The Bachmann wheels, which are split axle, have a point to point distance of a bit over 26 mm. When I put a Romford wheelset in, it rattled about. I don't know if that is because Romford's 26 mm was a bit on the short side or whether it is because the spacing is too wide. Before going any further, I shall try some Gibson EM wheelsets, when I have some. 

The image also illustrates the other problem with these bogies with their original wheels. Because wheel is not insulated from bearing, the metal electrically links the two wheels on one side of the bogie. This is a real pain with a DC layout as the bogies then bridge section breaks. On my existing fleet, I have had to modify each bogie to eliminate this whilst keeping the original wheels, which run fine. The same issue applies to porthole stock and Mark 2f stock.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, micklner said:

Looks like a 3500 gallon Tender, judging from the apparent length of the cutouts on the top.

Lovely work. How did you re wheel the Bachmann chassis ?

It also shows how good the Bachmann body still is, a great shame Bachmann decided to not produce a new chassis for it.

'Looks like a 3500 gallon Tender, judging from the apparent length of the cutouts on the top'.

I don't think it's a smaller-capacity GS tender, Mick.

Those behind J38s had asymmetrical cut-outs, front and rear.

363029030_J3865907ThorntonJunction30_07.5583F4.jpg.4ffa61ea0555f00406301def7032dbd0.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

Impressive workmanship, but might it be better to use .45mm nickel silver wire for the handrails? Far less chance of their bending.

I did use 14mm bogie/pony wheels, but new ones with RP25 profile flanges. The ones on your C2 seem to be the old-style 14mm Romfords - too large a flange, and two too many spokes as well. Please change them.

Regards,

Tony.  

Your obviously right about the handrails looking at the photo - next time?

The finer profile might help. These were robbed from the cartezzi trucks of a couple of A1 kits in the roundtuit pile, so will need replacing anyway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on a beautiful looking model.   With regards the problem you are experiencing with negotiating curved track I have recently had to consider the same problem with a replacement chassis that I've built for a Bachman C1.  I suspect that this is too late for you to consider for your model but for anyone else thinking of building one of these in the future my approach has been to extend the fixed wheelbase of the loco by anchoring the rear of the bogie to the main frames  directly above the rear axle of the bogie.  This does not extend the wheelbase significantly and my model will easily negotiate 36" radius curves (in EM).  This approach has several benefits these being:  There is no need to provide clearance in the frames for the rear bogie wheels.  By effectively making the loco behave more like a 2-6-2 it reduces buffer swing and the risk of buffer locking.  The bogie helps to steer the locomotive through the curves. 

The following photo of the  completed frames should help to illustrate how this was achieved.  The vertical pin that can just be seen directly above the rear bogie axle is inserted through a plate soldered between the frames and it is this that allows the back of the bogie to control the movement of the frames through the curves.  

IMG_2100.jpg.b2867fe2cd0378277afe4efcd213786b.jpg

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I did wonder about pivoting the bogie from above - what is the advantage of pivoting from the rear axle rather than the centre point?

I think I’ll try the RP25 profile wheels first. If that doesn’t work, some more major surgery like you suggest might be necessary.

Andy

1 hour ago, great central said:

Mentioned earlier, I have looked for my MTK standard 5 but it's being rather elusive at the moment, I have stock split between the garage and small bedroom (dump!) in the house.

While looking I remembered I'd posted a picture of it before somewhere in the MTK thread in the collectable/vintage section so hopefully I've copied the picture across.

The proportions look a bit off but I think it looks better in the metal than the picture, anyway it was built getting on for 40 years ago.

The big gap where the firebox should be is actually an XO4 motor, hint don't take low level photos of your toy trains!

image.png.21dbd02ea1203eacb5bb97c274389127.png

Well done for actually making it - you're a better man than I........................

However, it illustrates many of the reasons why I abandoned mine. The boiler is nearer in diameter to the BR Standard 4 4-6-0, and the drop down from the central running plate to the front is  too deep, resulting in the front buffer beam being too low. I did think of opening out the boiler and soldering a wedge in the bottom to get nearer the correct diameter, but gave up. You've also illustrated another reason why I got no further than some soldering and much swearing - the relationship between the cylinders and the bogie. The cylinders should be equidistant between the bogie wheels. 

I also had a bash at the tender (bash being an appropriate term), but it came out too tall, resulting in the buffers not matching the height of my stock. 

It's not my intention to deride your model. Indeed, I applaud you for making such a good job, but the MTK kit was way beyond my capabilities in making it look accurate. 

I'm very fortunate in that my current BR Standard Five running on Little Bytham is a product of the work of Geoff Kent and the late Roy Jackson.............

942507066_73XXX73069.jpg.6ad227948af46fb1dba079218402428f.jpg

It's built from a DJH kit. I replaced the motor and fitted correct, nine-spoke bogie wheels.

2129763255_Shap15.jpg.1de471bc01b71ea8a9124650467398f6.jpg

It's also seen use on Shap. 

1015185279_BRStandard73XXX.jpg.458f8c398d4203a0a87d75eefbbc3550.jpg

Another DJH BR Standard Five. I can't recall the builder/painter of this, but he belongs to the Metropolitan Junction crew. It was brought and given a run on LB when the chaps visited last year. Though the group models mainly in EM, this one (obviously) is OO.

I say again, please don't think I'm having a 'pop' at your laudable effort; I'm not, but the MTK's kit's inaccuracies at source rendered it beyond my capabilities. 

I've built a few DJH Standard Fives down the years, but none for me. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks, that looks like an interesting tool to have. However, the problem here is a different one. Here is a view of the bogie:

50151914073_96755bb3d1_c.jpgP1080776am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The metal inside already give an excellent pinpoint bearing. Taking this out would make the spacing even wider, and too wide for 26 mm axles even with new bearings. The Bachmann wheels, which are split axle, have a point to point distance of a bit over 26 mm. When I put a Romford wheelset in, it rattled about. I don't know if that is because Romford's 26 mm was a bit on the short side or whether it is because the spacing is too wide. Before going any further, I shall try some Gibson EM wheelsets, when I have some. 

The image also illustrates the other problem with these bogies with their original wheels. Because wheel is not insulated from bearing, the metal electrically links the two wheels on one side of the bogie. This is a real pain with a DC layout as the bogies then bridge section breaks. On my existing fleet, I have had to modify each bogie to eliminate this whilst keeping the original wheels, which run fine. The same issue applies to porthole stock and Mark 2f stock.

You can get the same issue with a single wheelset, and surprisingly often under certain circumstances. On a friend's large layout we got so fed up with checking where the problem was on his storage loops, which each hold two short trains or one long, that we re-laid the middle part with the joints staggered by half an inch. Any problem now, and we know it's the Wickham Trolley. :jester:

Admittedly it wouldn't help with those, but we don't "do" lighting (other than Hornby Pullmans which pick up differently) and would cut the things if they gave trouble. One suggestion would be to replace the Bachmann metal with normal bearings but pack them inwards with M2 washers to match the axle length.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Frank,

I did wonder about pivoting the bogie from above - what is the advantage of pivoting from the rear axle rather than the centre point?

I think I’ll try the RP25 profile wheels first. If that doesn’t work, some more major surgery like you suggest might be necessary.

Andy

Hi again,

If you pivot at the bogie centre, unless you allow some side to side movement at the pivot, the model will be far more limited as to the radius it can negotiate.  But allowing side play reduces the ability of the bogie to guide the model through point work.   In my approach the bogie is actually playing a role  in controlling the locomotive rather than just being along for the ride. 

This is the second time I've used this approach the previous time being on a C12 tank, and both times I've been very pleased with the way the locomotive glides through point work which I believe is the outcome you want to achieve.

It does need a bit of thought, and the front bogie wheels need something to keep them down on the track.  On my C12 I used a light spring  threaded over the centre retaining bolt as there was plenty of ballast in the front of the boiler.  With the plastic bodied C1 balancing the locomotive was a more fiddly and rather than a spring I ended up weighting the front of the bogie with lead.

Best of luck,

Frank   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Well I hope this post shows that at least one young modeller is prepared to actually make something.

IMG_4877.jpg.b030f16f6c1f51bd0671b2b2bbc3b6db.jpg

This is one of Mike Trice's new V2 bodies and it'll go on an updated Bachmann chassis.

Inspired by Graeme King's cut'n'shuts of Margate teaks a few years ago, I've started a pair of my own.

IMG_4879.jpg.9373ffd35a58c02fa19ab119cde1cb96.jpgIMG_4880.jpg.8d2b978efa1f90ad450ebd6a60c417c4.jpg

This will be a D25 TK...

IMG_4882.jpg.1268fec51542a787e73acb316c710cf3.jpg

...and this will be a D149 BFK.

Neither of these will be perfect models of the real carriages, but it's a quicker and cheaper way of getting more coaches than building full metal kits (I do have some to build in the future).

On a different note, this may be of interest to Tony:

IMG_4859.jpg.96684c31c5236d57bbea1c0a3565927e.jpg

It's a DJH kit and it's been glued together (not by me!). The paint finish is quite nice so I'm tempted to leave the bodies alone but I'd like to rebuild the chassis as it's got a tight spot and the valve gear sometimes catches (plus the Portescap whines). I've tweaked the motion with pliers and a soldering iron but it really needs a full rebuild to sort it out. I know the model isn't entirely accurate (60147 was named after GWR green had been applied and the chimney should be plain for this livery) so I may try to make the necessary modifications.

Regards,

Jamie

Am I considered young as well? 

If so, then I’ve been scratchbuilding as well, although I haven’t progressed to coaches yet, I did scratchbuild three LNER dolphin wagons. Only one pictured here, but you get the gist. 

78602AA4-0652-4A2E-9D76-2F00F5106781.jpeg.02bdf8b89f2dd88687f16116819b45fb.jpeg

And I’ve started a scratchbuild P1, which will have it’s discrepancy’s  but will look the part. 

00C25057-93A5-4A89-9708-5473949D8692.jpeg.e47737382f8dbde17cb9c85fa3de85f4.jpeg

I think the way your progressing Jamie, you’ll over take me in no time. 

• Like 6

Gentlemen,

Less than 24 hours after my original post two pages of entries have gone by!

The B2 61639 was fitted with a B1 bogie in the 1950s which it carried to the end, the tender was an ex-NER 4125 gallon example from a C7 with the coping plates cut off behind the coal space. 61615/32 towed the 4,700 gallon ex-P1 tenders.

Having completed this one more as a test to see whether it was feasible, I am gathering the parts for 61616, which I remember from my 'Ladybird Book of British Locomotives'! It will feature 12 spoke bogie wheels and an NER tender with full coping plates. I am hoping to chronicle this build with photos and put in the relevant section of RMWeb when finished.

The J38 was a scrapbox parts build using a Bachmann J39 body and chassis and Bachmann 57xx pannier wheelset. The tender should be a swb 3500 gallon type, but searching photos online and Colour-rail showed 65904/21 towing 4200 gallon variants of the type modelled, (not the one Bachmann attached to the J39). This one is a Hornby example from a D49 Hunt, which was also spare. I considered buying an SEF 3500 gal. tender, but the idea was to build without expense if possible. A quick note to Clem..this model won't concern you, I don't think one of them ever trundled through Daybrook on empties to Colwick!

Thanks to all for the comments, I hope the above answers any queries. Incidentally, does anyone know of a source for a brass/whitemetal casting for a B17 chimney?

Cheers from WestOz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Your obviously right about the handrails looking at the photo - next time?

The finer profile might help. These were robbed from the cartezzi trucks of a couple of A1 kits in the roundtuit pile, so will need replacing anyway.

Good morning Andy,

One other thing I should have mentioned was that I had to file a considerable amount off the inside of the cylinders, both at the front and the rear. Otherwise, even the finer bogie wheels fouled on curves. Bachmann, of course, got round this on their RTR C1 (which, give or take, shares the same chassis configuration) by fitting smaller bogie wheels. 

The filing-away can just be seen in the lower picture................

832153278_JesseSimcompleteC201.jpg.ceef898c02f3e726a0d5a76f38678a61.jpg

422888174_JesseSimcompleteC202.jpg.39583bdc311ba11fdffac76a9a0ce96f.jpg

Tony Gee is correct in that the top slidebars should be tucked in behind the valance (though they are just discernible on the real thing), but, having a white metal footplate, this loco doesn't really have a valance - it's full thickness. The cylinders do protrude above the front footplate.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Well I hope this post shows that at least one young modeller is prepared to actually make something.

IMG_4877.jpg.b030f16f6c1f51bd0671b2b2bbc3b6db.jpg

This is one of Mike Trice's new V2 bodies and it'll go on an updated Bachmann chassis.

Inspired by Graeme King's cut'n'shuts of Margate teaks a few years ago, I've started a pair of my own.

IMG_4879.jpg.9373ffd35a58c02fa19ab119cde1cb96.jpgIMG_4880.jpg.8d2b978efa1f90ad450ebd6a60c417c4.jpg

This will be a D25 TK...

IMG_4882.jpg.1268fec51542a787e73acb316c710cf3.jpg

...and this will be a D149 BFK.

Neither of these will be perfect models of the real carriages, but it's a quicker and cheaper way of getting more coaches than building full metal kits (I do have some to build in the future).

On a different note, this may be of interest to Tony:

IMG_4859.jpg.96684c31c5236d57bbea1c0a3565927e.jpg

It's a DJH kit and it's been glued together (not by me!). The paint finish is quite nice so I'm tempted to leave the bodies alone but I'd like to rebuild the chassis as it's got a tight spot and the valve gear sometimes catches (plus the Portescap whines). I've tweaked the motion with pliers and a soldering iron but it really needs a full rebuild to sort it out. I know the model isn't entirely accurate (60147 was named after GWR green had been applied and the chimney should be plain for this livery) so I may try to make the necessary modifications.

Regards,

Jamie

Splendid work, as always Jamie. Well done!

The A1 does interest me, and its typical of umpteen glued-together (often badly) DJH A1s I've come across.

In time (not long!), even though you think the paint finish is 'quite nice', you'll become dissatisfied with it. The things which will militate against it are the 'upright' cab with no rake-in at the top of the sides, the mismatch of the horizontal handrail on the boiler/firebox, the out-of-line handrail on the smokebox door, the too-low vacuum ejector pipe and the incorrect bend on the smoke deflectors (the nameplate's crest should not be bent over and not be behind the handrail. It looks to be the nameplate supplied by DJH; if so, it's too big). 

It simply won't be up to your rapidly-improving standards. May I suggest an overnight bath in Nitromors, taking it back to a kit again? Then you can build it 'properly'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MTK... Yes - the thread moves on at a clip, another 2 pages on! The first MTK kit I built was the class 24 None of the body castings fitted each other and roof was a solid lump! I managed with strips of plastic card and filler ( car body I think in those days ) of some sort to get it together, and eventually did get it painted and running. Eventually it was sold on. Yes - it was possible, but not easy.  I only purchased the Cravens set as it was 'etched' brass, I never liked working with aluminium body shells and I have a lot of respect to those that do and create perfectly good models from them. A lot of the castings were iffy, so I think most of the underframes and bogies were Hornby. The end castings were not too bad I suppose. So, possible but not easy. They were of their era.

Years later, I've built a JLTRT class 24 - and of course, it is a world apart.

DSCF2074.JPG.76ce5e2c8ae9e848cae7567c8dbd7948.JPG

Regards

Tony

• Like 8

I apologise for diverting this live thread from its natural flow by going back to posts yesterday on BR 5MT models.  I recognised a number on one model and I think it's worth sharing a copy of an image [watermarked] that I believe is the prototype, 73069.  The orginal image is by my father on 29th July, 1961 using his Rolleiflex 3.5F.  He was taking a few pictures in the closing era of the Metroplitan's electric locomotives and he had just enough time to form a reasonable composition.  I was there, very small and with mother, probably sitting on the platform tailwall.  Years later he made a 20" x 16" print and it was a favourite, though his hobby tended to concentrate on architecture photography.  The print is one of my most treasured items.

1961 07 29 cal 73069 watermark.pdf

Other than riding the DMUs to school, I took little note of the main line trains until recently, as an adjunct to my ongoing research on the electric locomotives, now almost at their centenary.  Though slightly unclear in the image, the apparent number is consistent with shed allocations and other GC route pictures of the time - I am happy to withdraw if there's expert opinion that's different.  I'm minded to create a 4mm diorama to replicate the scene, but only once I've completed the Met loco research and done some overdue tram modelling!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Engineer said:

I apologise for diverting this live thread from its natural flow by going back to posts yesterday on BR 5MT models.  I recognised a number on one model and I think it's worth sharing a copy of an image [watermarked] that I believe is the prototype, 73069.  The orginal image is by my father on 29th July, 1961 using his Rolleiflex 3.5F.  He was taking a few pictures in the closing era of the Metroplitan's electric locomotives and he had just enough time to form a reasonable composition.  I was there, very small and with mother, probably sitting on the platform tailwall.  Years later he made a 20" x 16" print and it was a favourite, though his hobby tended to concentrate on architecture photography.  The print is one of my most treasured items.

1961 07 29 cal 73069 watermark.pdf 585.07 kB · 4 downloads

Other than riding the DMUs to school, I took little note of the main line trains until recently, as an adjunct to my ongoing research on the electric locomotives, now almost at their centenary.  Though slightly unclear in the image, the apparent number is consistent with shed allocations and other GC route pictures of the time - I am happy to withdraw if there's expert opinion that's different.  I'm minded to create a 4mm diorama to replicate the scene, but only once I've completed the Met loco research and done some overdue tram modelling!

South end of Harrow on the Hill station when 73069 was a resident of 14D Neasden Shed

• Thanks 1

As we're sharing our lockdown projects, here is one of mine. It started in life as a Bachmann V2.

20200715_153419.jpg.85666557e6fd9d1a5a1d4d5b9cbe9a84.jpg

Which almost immediately had it's rather deformed boiler chopped off and replaced with an A3 boiler and smokebox.

20200718_192432.jpg.3768efd97ae43412df9233b2f01efb88.jpg

After detailing was added, it was primed and painted.

20200722_180802.jpg.fdd9738a44bcd5635c2a8a850b7c35c2.jpg

It still needs to be lined and weathered, but is nearly done. When finished, it'll be a model of York allocated V2 60981 in early 1960s condition. It's rather different to the copper capped engines I'm used to, but its been fun to work on nonetheless.

Regards

Harun

20200719_194108.jpg

Edited by B661Sutton
Added image that wasn't meant to be there
  • Like 12