Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tom,

1957 is the year at Retford....................... Ah, I remember it well. Short trousers and a voice hoarse from shouting 'Streak'!

Regards,

Tony. 

If I recall correctly, Roy chose 1957 at least in part because it was the final year before diesels made any significant impact on the scene and was a year when a mix of maroon and crimson and cream could be run and in which the Talisman could be run. Also, the signal gantry at the south end of the station was demolished in an accident not long afterwards so this also sets the layout no later than 1957 or thereabouts (can't recall when the gantry was replaced). 

• Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Last week, a  friend was telling me how he had been making loads for his bogie bolsters and was concerned how his models tended to bow in the middle and he was not sure what to do about it. I suggested that bowing was normal for a bolster but he was not convinced.

I arranged to meet him at a local level crossing, convenient for both of us to see the early morning steel train go through.

This is what we saw and now any bowing is acceptable.

Mike Wiltshire

1984222721_bogiebolsters.JPG.26de1b8b8f48318313433492f5956e55.JPG

Is it not the case that bogie well wagons (such as WELTROL and TRESTROL) were purposely manufactured with an upward bow, such that, when fully laden, they above effect returned it to level? (otherwise, any bowing effect might have caused the centre of the 'well' to dip down too low to the rail). In the research for Carlisle we've come across a picture of a TRESTROL (I'm reliably informed!) where the upward bow is most noticeable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Headstock said:

Is it me, or are model railways getting cleaner and cleaner. 

Neater, I suspect.  Use of stuff like static grass instead of dyed carper underlay, and fewer coarse materials such as lichen, means there is less scraggy scenery about, for sure.  

My recently ‘static grassed’ countryside section looks more like tidy parkland at the moment, it definitely needs scruffing up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Last week, a  friend was telling me how he had been making loads for his bogie bolsters and was concerned how his models tended to bow in the middle and he was not sure what to do about it. I suggested that bowing was normal for a bolster but he was not convinced.

I arranged to meet him at a local level crossing, convenient for both of us to see the early morning steel train go through.

This is what we saw and now any bowing is acceptable.

Mike Wiltshire

Wearing my working hat and for the sake of strict accuracy, those wagons depict dip rather than bow. Bow is high in the middle and low at the ends. Dip is high at the ends and low in the middle. I don't know about building wagons with a built in bow but steel flooring was certainly made that way. 

Bernard

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Wearing my working hat and for the sake of strict accuracy, those wagons depict dip rather than bow. Bow is high in the middle and low at the ends. Dip is high at the ends and low in the middle. I don't know about building wagons with a built in bow but steel flooring was certainly made that way. 

Bernard

To a Mechanical Engineer it would be known as "hogging" - high in the middle and "sagging" - low in the middle

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

True Story: I went to school with a girl called Tamara Knight and a lad called Ray Pugh.  Some parents don't deserve children.

Very good friends of mine, whose surname is King, named their son Jolyan (that dates it). I did refrain from saying they must be joking.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Is it not the case that bogie well wagons (such as WELTROL and TRESTROL) were purposely manufactured with an upward bow, such that, when fully laden, they above effect returned it to level? (otherwise, any bowing effect might have caused the centre of the 'well' to dip down too low to the rail). In the research for Carlisle we've come across a picture of a TRESTROL (I'm reliably informed!) where the upward bow is most noticeable. 

Coach underframes were too, so that when the body was fitted its weight would straighten out the camber.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Is there a track plan online or in your possession for Retford?  I don't think I've ever seen the whole trainset in a "one'er", as we say below the North/South divide, known as the M4 ;)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Is there a track plan online or in your possession for Retford?  I don't think I've ever seen the whole trainset in a "one'er", as we say below the North/South divide, known as the M4 ;)

I don't have a trackplan of Retford, but Roy must have had. 

It was printed scale size and stuck to the baseboards when track-laying began....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

On one September morning almost 50 years ago, I sat in front of my new class and went through the register. 

When I read out Joric Hunt, I almost choked! His mother was Danish. 

Regards,

Tony.

Were you at this school Tony !!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

I can’t claim any personal credit for this (other than some eBay bargaining skills!) but I thought people on here would be interested in my latest purchase.

7E827014-FBEB-40C9-9ECA-BF518B857579.jpeg.8ba18a6a352f09b03f4907ab6ff30b27.jpeg40752A77-BEBB-4115-B317-0F14DB10D1D8.jpeg.27971b47560c60d274e0f86db478e2f6.jpegD5AC9CC2-5BF1-4C58-9CD1-57888504105B.jpeg.7c1b4a11a6be54af37c6f03aafced1bd.jpeg13919429-BAAD-4B9E-B031-0B92DC061DC6.jpeg.c4b1ddfc328e9ccbc4352ef81d7958e1.jpeg96518B50-9936-4012-B797-60EEF4B057F3.jpeg.c473147865073c757f181a258713eb30.jpeg

They are, of course, the King and Queen carriages from the ECJS/ LNER/ ER Royal train as preserved at York/ Bressingham.

I don’t know the provenance other than they were painted by ‘D. Smedley’. Does anyone know who is?

They remained in teak until the mid ‘50s, so my intention is to use them on an early / mid ‘50s representation of the Royal Train. For that I have a lot of building to do including the GNR D.4/ D.5 First Saloons. Does anyone know of a kit/ sides for these? If not I suspect that a cut ‘n’ shut of Hornby Gresley shorties will be the way forward.

Andy

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

52 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Very good friends of mine, whose surname is King, named their son Jolyan (that dates it). I did refrain from saying they must be joking.

I worked briefly at a school where one of the other teaches was Jo King. He did NOT like being called that!

Lloyd

• Funny 2

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't have a trackplan of Retford, but Roy must have had. 

It was printed scale size and stuck to the baseboards when track-laying began....................

Regards,

Tony. 

There was a trackplan included in the MRJ article that introduced Redford to the world. I don't have the issue number to hand though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

There was a plan published in a BRM article in March 2013. I am sure others have appeared in the press, one being in MRJ if I recall correctly.

Basically, it is the real Retford shrunk to 4mm scale, so if you have a plan of the real place, you have the model plan too.

I was looking at the photos and running my mind and memory over who has done what on the layout. The list of people who have contributed is very long indeed.

What it does demonstrate is that a project like that, impressive as it is, was not nearly finished in the lifetime of the person who dreamed up the idea. That was with huge amounts of help from lots of people.

Perhaps that goes some way towards explaining why some of us prefer to be less ambitious. We have less room, less time and we don't have people willing to give hundreds if not thousands of hours of their own time in return for little more than tea, good friendship and lots of verbal abuse!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I don’t know the provenance other than they were painted by ‘D. Smedley’. Does anyone know who is?

Are you sure that's not 'Dave Studley'?   That would make sense - he's about the best around for teak if you can afford him.

Mozzer built a couple of these which he painted a few years ago - maybe ask if these are the same ones?

Unless Bill Bedford does them, I don't know of anyone who offers those GN diagrams.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

On one September morning almost 50 years ago, I sat in front of my new class and went through the register. 

When I read out Joric Hunt, I almost choked! His mother was Danish. 

Regards,

Tony.

When I was at Primary school  (Circa 1953) the register was read out on the first day and the teacher said Livingstone Thomas, the first Black person I had ever met. Boy could he run and play sports. He was just treated as another boy by us all.  This was in Brent, London,not Grantham as my Fathers wpork had brought us South.

Edited by CUTLER2579
To make clear where I went to School.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Headstock said:

Tony,

a truly grand piece of work. Could I ask you to provide details of bogie and tender wheels please.

Thanks Andrew. It has been a real labour of love and I doubt that I will ever make anything better.

I have collected many hundreds of wheels over the years. Much of what the late George Norton had went to Malcolm Crawley and when he died, both George's wheels and Malcolm's came to me and added to my already large collection. Sadly many of them had no packets to confirm the origin.

The bogie wheels were from that lot and they are 3'6" scale sized and 10 spoke. From the type of plastic and the way the tread is turned, they look like Sharman wheels. Going back to the earlier discussion about wheels and flange sizes, they may need to be replaced with slightly smaller ones. The flanges catch ever so slightly on the frames and even in a straight line, the wheel flanges are very close to the cylinders. Or at least the spacer between the cylinder and the frame. I don't want to start filing the spacer back unless absolutely necessary. I haven't run it on track and round curves yet as it doesn't have pick ups. I can see clearance problems before I start but I have plenty of ideas how to get around the problems, including being clever with the bogie pivot position.

Nobody makes a correct GCR tender wheel. The ones fitted are 4'3" 12 spoke Ultrascale. They should have 13 spokes. You have to some sort of x-ray eyed superhero able to see through the outside frames to tell.

• Like 1