Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

29 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The bogie wheels were from that lot and they are 3'6" scale sized and 10 spoke. From the type of plastic and the way the tread is turned, they look like Sharman wheels.

That was what I thought as soon as I saw them.  Mike’s wheels are narrower than those of other manufacturers Which is why they look so good.  I seem to recall he used the same moulds for both EM and P4 wheels and P4 wheels are normally narrower than EM/OO wheels.  
I do like Mike’s wheels but sadly I only have a couple of models that use them because he stopped production soon after I started building in EM.  

Frank

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

That was what I thought as soon as I saw them.  Mike’s wheels are narrower than those of other manufacturers Which is why they look so good.  I seem to recall he used the same moulds for both EM and P4 wheels and P4 wheels are normally narrower than EM/OO wheels.  
I do like Mike’s wheels but sadly I only have a couple of models that use them because he stopped production soon after I started building in EM.  

Frank

Sharman or Ultrascale were my favourites but the limited Ultrascale range meant that they were not available for so many models I have built.

I did have Sharman driving wheels for Valour too but struggled to get them running true. I used to be able to tweak a wobbly Sharman wheel and it would stay put put these would just spring back to the wobbly position. Perhaps the plastic has become less helpful over the years. 

There is another thread running at the moment about Phoenix/Precision having small stocks of some Sharman wheels for sale. It might be worth stocking up if they have anything on your "to do" list.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Good Afternoon Frank, 

The last I heard was that someone had bought all of Mike's equipment with the intention of starting production again, I think in Wales. That was quite a few years ago and as I've heard nothing since, I assume that nothing came out of it. I seem to remember someone describing Mike's production equipment as being 'Heath-Robinson'. Maybe no-one else could work the magic to make it work?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

True Story: I went to school with a girl called Tamara Knight and a lad called Ray Pugh.  Some parents don't deserve children.

I'll raise you a Richard Seamen... :o

• RMweb Premium

Two that come to mind from many years ago in my banking days, an Estate Agent called Gordon Bennett and a lady by the name of Susan Cock.

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I can’t claim any personal credit for this (other than some eBay bargaining skills!) but I thought people on here would be interested in my latest purchase.

D5AC9CC2-5BF1-4C58-9CD1-57888504105B.jpeg.7c1b4a11a6be54af37c6f03aafced1bd.jpeg13919429-BAAD-4B9E-B031-0B92DC061DC6.jpeg.c4b1ddfc328e9ccbc4352ef81d7958e1.jpeg

Andy

Lovely, although frighteningly fragile in appearance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just how much is still to be completed on Retford can be appreciated from this picture............

2057498200_Retford72010.jpg.22ae45804684abc4a3725017c93332f5.jpg

The GN loco shed and almost all of the station buildings are still just mock-ups in card. A few shed details are complete, though.

In the background can be seen Geoff Kent's Black Lion Crossing (and one of my cameras!). 

926121781_Retford72009.jpg.d7cbbf9a16b4709c692148d64c66e8cb.jpg

When you think that the GC section on Retford (the small trainset) occupies probably a bigger footprint than my own Little Bytham, some idea of the size of this magnificent achievement can be appreciated. 

1855424087_Retford72006.jpg.df1d823c820a65a99fa33be36edd2125.jpg

Some folk seem to rejoice in small, 'shunting plank' layouts, many of which are beautifully-made.

Using an art analogy, they're exquisite miniatures compared with Monet's breath-taking whole-wall water lilies! 

Tony, Many thanks for posting this. I wonder thought would there be any chance of some moving image footage of Retford could be taken? I appreciate that Covid may impact this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

There was a plan published in a BRM article in March 2013. I am sure others have appeared in the press, one being in MRJ if I recall correctly.

Basically, it is the real Retford shrunk to 4mm scale, so if you have a plan of the real place, you have the model plan too.

I was looking at the photos and running my mind and memory over who has done what on the layout. The list of people who have contributed is very long indeed.

What it does demonstrate is that a project like that, impressive as it is, was not nearly finished in the lifetime of the person who dreamed up the idea. That was with huge amounts of help from lots of people.

Perhaps that goes some way towards explaining why some of us prefer to be less ambitious. We have less room, less time and we don't have people willing to give hundreds if not thousands of hours of their own time in return for little more than tea, good friendship and lots of verbal abuse!

When I look at the vast area of scenery in the south east quadrant between the GN and the GC on Retford, I'm reminded of how much of it is your work, Tony. And Babworth 'box, and.........................

Despite the amount of time given by others (in spite of the abuse), it's my perception that Retford stalled in the last decade (apart from some still-amazing amounts of work). Why, I'm not sure. However, the 'journey' was probably more important for Roy. He told me half a century ago, when I scrambled around the encroaching vegetation inside a disused Methodist Chapel in Walkerith attempting to photograph the boards containing the north junction, that he never expected to see it finished; but kept going. 

I think it's very wise to be 'less ambitious', though a project like Retford is heroic, if rather 'insane'. The latter said, the model railway world is far richer because of it. And, given the resources, vast model railways are possible. 

When I say 'vast', I'm reminded of the likes of the EM Carlisle, being built in France. It's even bigger than Retford, though the approach is fundamentally-different. I mentioned resources, and that includes, if necessary, a huge fiscal budget in order that top professionals (the likes of Mike Edge) be paid in order to work on it, often for weeks on end. It's been my privilege to photograph it already on two occasions (a putative third visit was suggested for this year, but Covid scuppered that). I've certainly worked on re-wheeling and tweaking rolling stock (as barter for our wonderful accommodation), the RM paying for the photography. Having seen some of Mike's more-recent shots (it's over two years since I've been there), progress has been very rapid, and it's far nearer completion than Retford, though at huge expense. As I say, given 'fiscal clout', though Roy always pleaded poverty. 

But I don't know that Roy Jackson would have ever been happy with 'chequebook' modelling, even given a rich purse. I'm not deriding those who pay others to do their modelling for them (often they have the 'vision', though lack the practical skills), and, rather in the manner of patrons in the past, they facilitate the creation of 'masterpieces' through having enough dosh. I suppose the ultimate expression of this was a layout (in O Gauge) which I'd been commissioned to photograph, only to have the owner die before any pictures were taken (I don't think my taking of pictures was potentially-lethal, though the guy who was arranging the photo shoot also died shortly after!). Anyway, not only was everything on this huge model made by top pros (including Beeson), the owner employed a couple of chaps to maintain and run it! 

All the above said, from a personal perspective, I don't think I'd derive any great pleasure if my layout was all the product of others' work (not that I have the money!). Though LB is the work of many, talented modellers (the likes of which, I hope, I acknowledge all the time), much of it is my work and most has been achieved by barter. 

I suppose ultimately it comes down to personal satisfaction. Some get that by way of 'possession', though that would not suit me (nor Roy, nor you if I may say so?). Others get it by making just about everything themselves, meaning their creations are smaller and often take years to complete - even a lifetime. I like to think that Little Bytham fits somewhere in between; the work of many (but not in a 'possessive' sense), in the main pooling resources. A much smaller version of Retford in a way, though nowhere near as 'heroic'. That took a great man's vision, even if the vision ultimately disappeared. I count it a great privilege to be potentially among the team which completes it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Chamby said:

Neater, I suspect.  Use of stuff like static grass instead of dyed carper underlay, and fewer coarse materials such as lichen, means there is less scraggy scenery about, for sure.  

My recently ‘static grassed’ countryside section looks more like tidy parkland at the moment, it definitely needs scruffing up a bit.

Afternoon Chamby,

I hadn't thought of that, I suppose that the  scenic wizards of my acquaintance, don't buy much pre packaged stuff, they have their magic potions and their secret spells and incantations. I guess that modern product produces beautifully manicured undergrowth that  sits well with the sea of shiny plastic roofs.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks Andrew. It has been a real labour of love and I doubt that I will ever make anything better.

I have collected many hundreds of wheels over the years. Much of what the late George Norton had went to Malcolm Crawley and when he died, both George's wheels and Malcolm's came to me and added to my already large collection. Sadly many of them had no packets to confirm the origin.

The bogie wheels were from that lot and they are 3'6" scale sized and 10 spoke. From the type of plastic and the way the tread is turned, they look like Sharman wheels. Going back to the earlier discussion about wheels and flange sizes, they may need to be replaced with slightly smaller ones. The flanges catch ever so slightly on the frames and even in a straight line, the wheel flanges are very close to the cylinders. Or at least the spacer between the cylinder and the frame. I don't want to start filing the spacer back unless absolutely necessary. I haven't run it on track and round curves yet as it doesn't have pick ups. I can see clearance problems before I start but I have plenty of ideas how to get around the problems, including being clever with the bogie pivot position.

Nobody makes a correct GCR tender wheel. The ones fitted are 4'3" 12 spoke Ultrascale. They should have 13 spokes. You have to some sort of x-ray eyed superhero able to see through the outside frames to tell.

Thanks Tony,

I should have thought about Sharmans, they look very effective, perhaps Franks bogie pinning method might be beneficial and allow them to remain in place, I hope so. You are dead right about the tender wheels. Anybody looking at a photograph, would conclude that they had twelve spokes, not thirteen.

17 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

This has made my evening seeing these new photographs of Retford. It could almost be 1956 (wasn't that the year Roy set it?)

I remember having an enjoyable chat with him about B16s. I seem to recall he liked them in all their varieties. 

An East coast mainline layout set in 1956! You're pulling my leg, it only opened in 1957..................and closed.

17 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have always had the little daydream that somewhere in the world, a man and his wife, Mr & Mrs Stein, have a daughter and decide to name her Phyllis.

A friend of mine went to school with the daughter of a Mr and Mrs Branch  who was cruelly saddled with the name Olive.

Tone

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a client 25 years ago whose maiden name was Cherry Orchard, she said that her parents had thought it a lovely name and she said it didn't bother her too much growing up. When she met and married Paul Stone she might have had different outlook on it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

I can't believe it, but it is almost 6 years to the day since I weathered this one for you Tony. If I remember correctly, I handed it back to you at the Pickering Show, where you told Dad the joke about the TVR.... :lol:

10560554_10152304911842984_2993299503884896265_o.jpg.041ef5f48a22f977d373325eeb35da09.jpg

Still one of my favourites all these years on.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

30 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

I can't believe it, but it is almost 6 years to the day since I weathered this one for you Tony. If I remember correctly, I handed it back to you at the Pickering Show, where you told Dad the joke about the TVR.... :lol:

10560554_10152304911842984_2993299503884896265_o.jpg.041ef5f48a22f977d373325eeb35da09.jpg

Still one of my favourites all these years on.

Is it really that long ago, Tom? 

You really are a top-weatherer. 

I think my painting of the loco was 'adequate'.........

1138953703_K162070DMRkit.jpg.98e9f64a855de7ebe82c5b29fe100fed.jpg

But you brought it to life!

404306021_Downfaststarter62070.jpg.fbce67c824053b98918c364464dfabe9.jpg

It still sees regular service on Little Bytham, and it's one of my favourite loco-builds.

Do you remember weathering that modified Hornby B1 at much the same time?

2091567172_B161175K162070.jpg.1f91c14ff0585cb72bc33a308e4450fa.jpg

Obviously some little time ago; no point rodding.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Thanks Tony,

I should have thought about Sharmans, they look very effective, perhaps Franks bogie pinning method might be beneficial and allow them to remain in place, I hope so. You are dead right about the tender wheels. Anybody looking at a photograph, would conclude that they had twelve spokes, not thirteen.

Hi Andrew,

If you are wanting your locomotives to run on Leicester South then I wouldn't recommend Sharman wheels because of my previous comment with regard their relative slimness.  As I have said to you previously, in order to accommodate such a range of wheel standards the check rail gauge on LS is very generous and I suspect you would end up with Sharman wheels jumping the points.  The B1 chassis I built for John has Alan Gibson wheels and these seemed to be okay for LS as should be Ultrascale.  If they do the wheels you need I'd be happy to help you set them up.  If you are sticking with rigid frames then  you would need to double check the concentricity of each AG driving wheel before committing them to your model.   AG will swap the wheels if there is a problem.

Frank

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Hopefully an observation rather than an instruction... I know you had to make your own entertainment in those days, but there are limits.

'an instruction' to streak? 

In 1957? Perhaps a decade later?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Andrew,

If you are wanting your locomotives to run on Leicester South then I wouldn't recommend Sharman wheels because of my previous comment with regard their relative slimness.  As I have said to you previously, in order to accommodate such a range of wheel standards the check rail gauge on LS is very generous and I suspect you would end up with Sharman wheels jumping the points.  The B1 chassis I built for John has Alan Gibson wheels and these seemed to be okay for LS as should be Ultrascale.  If they do the wheels you need I'd be happy to help you set them up.  If you are sticking with rigid frames then  you would need to double check the concentricity of each AG driving wheel before committing them to your model.   AG will swap the wheels if there is a problem.

Frank

Good evening Frank,

believe it or not, I have some Sharman wheels running on LSGC without any issues, V2 tenders. I wasn't considering any new additions based on Tonys locomotive, rather I was just admiring the quality of his wheels. There isn't an absolutely correct bogie or tender wheel available for class B7 from Gibson, Ultrascale or Markits, at present I'm shopping around. Thanks for the offer re wheel set up, it is very much appreciated. The B1 chassis is a typically beautiful example of your workmanship, I am hoping to liberate it from captivity.

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

The loco or the joke?

Apologies Mike,

I haven't forgotten about the roof, I have been somewhat busy today with work and just discovered my camera battery needs recharging. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

• Thanks 1