Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I think that modellers who use the "observe the prototype" idea have often modelled trains with a mixture of carriage liveries.

On a good layout, you can almost work out the year by the mix. the earlier the date, the less maroon you see! A few maroon carriages probably means 1956/7, through to almost all maroon by the early 1960s.

You can certainly see mixed colours on Little Bytham and Retford and I am sure they were on Stoke Summit and Gamston Bank too, amongst others. 

Observing the prototype , is clearly the best evidence irrespective of official CW or expected liveries. In my own case of modelling 1960 +/- 1 year, there is a wide difference in train liveries over that 2/3 year period. So at  least 80% of my coaching stock is  maroon, crimson/cream pepper a few rakes.  But where for example the W1 is set to haul a train then I permit a closer to 50/50 livery combination. That same rake I wouldn't put behind a smoke deflectored A3, not that it was impossible for this to occur just unlikely. Neither would I allow the W1 on the scenic section as a smoke deflectored A3.

A  "crack express" by 1960 would have a heavy dependence on Mk1's. Pre-nationalistation stock  would have found their way on to secondary services; second-link duties. Summer Saturday extras are fascinating as anything that could turn a wheel is pressed into service.

Obviously care are must be taken with "photographic evidence" as some captions are a work of fiction. In one of the books I've got (can't remember the name ) a huge number of the A4's are report hauling the Elizabethan, which is very unlikely based on the coaches behind the tender.

On a personal recollection as a child in the mid 70's I remember being fascinated by a parcels train in Swansea railway station and rubbing my finger on a what was likely Mk1 BG. It was filthy and under the grime maroon. Boy did I get a telling off by by Mum, which is likely why I recall it.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, davidw said:

Observing the prototype , is clearly the best evidence irrespective of official CW or expected liveries. In my own case of modelling 1960 +/- 1 year, there is a wide difference in train liveries over that 2/3 year period. So at  least 80% of my coaching stock is  maroon, crimson/cream pepper a few rakes.  But where for example the W1 is set to haul a train then I permit a closer to 50/50 livery combination. That same rake I wouldn't put behind a smoke deflectored A3, not that it was impossible for this to occur just unlikely. Neither would I allow the W1 on the scenic section as a smoke deflectored A3.

A  "crack express" by 1960 would have a heavy dependence on Mk1's. Pre-nationalistation stock  would have found finding their way on to secondary services; second-link duties. Summer Saturday extras are fascinating as any thing that could turn a wheel is pressed into service.

Obviously care are must be taken with "photographic evidence" as some captions are a work of fiction. In one of the books I've got (can't remember the name ) a huge number of the A4's are report hauling the Elizabethan, which is very unlikely based on the coaches behind the tender.

On a personal recollection as a child in the mid 70's I remember being fascinated by a parcels train in Swansea railway station and rubbing my finger on a what was likely Mk1 BG. It was filthy and under the grime maroon. Boy did I get a telling off by by Mum, which is likely why I recall it.

Totally agree with all that.

My early trainspotting memories are mostly the blue/grey period but I have vague recollections of green and red diesels and maroon carriages. I know I saw Falcon, Kestrel and Lion too, plus the "Desert Sand" Western  but I don't remember them. 

We lived near Lincoln for a couple of years in the early 1970s and the changes were coming fast. The two station shunters were D2021 and D2022. In the two years we were there, they changed to just 2021 and 2022 and then to 03021 and 03022. 

I actually quite liked it when everything was pretty much blue/grey for passenger stock, with blue locos. It suited my O.C.D. tendencies as it all seemed to match for a short while. An all blue DMU fitted in well. Even the Pullmans were blue and grey!  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I don't think I've seen banking done in 2mm but we have plenty of experience with it in 4mm. When the trains on Wentworth Junction disappear off scene they continue on much the same curve in to the fiddle yard where most of the bankers uncouple to return. Testing has revealed a few potential problems, sometimes an odd wagon in the middle of the train might be too light, shuffling the train fixes this. The coal trains are all loaded, maximum this way is 30 wagons and brake van, very few problems with them. WJ has a great variety of locos available with all sorts of different drive systems - experience will tell which ones are best for this, once it goes all electric there will be no problem as all the locos will have the same power system.

I'll try the coupling with a .012" etch, I think .010" might be too weak.

Thanks Mike, I shall look forward to giving them a go.

The picture below is of a 4F at the entrance to Combe Down tunnel in Lyncombe Vale dropping off the rear of a train it has just banked up from Bath. Sadly, its posed on a friends layout.  

On my model of Bath I dont have the space for Lyncombe Vale so only have the north portal of Devonshire tunnel and the south portal of Combe Down - the twin tunnels are just the one! So, to be prototypical the banker should drop off whilst in the tunnel and drop back down to Bath. My other option is to run the train all the way through to the fiddle yard with the banker, then run it back. The Bath side of the layout is still very much a work in progress but I would like to include bankers, at least on some of the freights.

Ive included a trackplan, more details in my Bath thread.

Jerry

Combe_Down_3.jpg.7a72b1fb2d985df838b8f3147a37b4fa.jpg1804750489_20191031_095457(3).jpg.43df0c9f59fec357693bb4cf3bfd403e.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of liveries suggests to me that the denizens of this thread may have the answers to a couple of questions I have regarding Gresley Diag 167 Buffet cars.   I am just about to embark on a 2mm kit which caters for both the original configuration and the mods enacted in the late 1950s.   My questions are:

Were all extant Diag 167s modified?

Did the date of the mods preclude any unmodified ones appearing in maroon rather than crimson/cream?

I see from various sources that 12 have been preserved but I've, so far, only tracked down information on 2 of them.   Both of these have been restored to the original configuration with one in teak and the other crimson/cream.

Thank you in anticipation

John

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I think that modellers who use the "observe the prototype" idea have often modelled trains with a mixture of carriage liveries.

On a good layout, you can almost work out the year by the mix. the earlier the date, the less maroon you see! A few maroon carriages probably means 1956/7, through to almost all maroon by the early 1960s.

You can certainly see mixed colours on Little Bytham and Retford and I am sure they were on Stoke Summit and Gamston Bank too, amongst others. 

Good afternoon Tony,

Since Little Bytham is set in the summer of 1958 (a year later than Retford), then, quite rightly, there is a mixture of carmine/cream and maroon. Though some of the prestige trains are all-maroon - The 'Lizzie', the 'Talismans' and 'The Flying Scotsman' for instance, there is no full rake which is all carmine/cream. This is based on photographic evidence, though there are many prototype pictures which show, even in those prestige trains, a carmine/cream substitute. These even extend into Deltic-haulage.  

I don't know what the carriage-painting regime dictated as to when carriages would be re-painted. Maroon was introduced on BR in 1956, so I think it's safe to assume that several cars retained carmine/cream into the early-'60s, some older cars never carrying maroon. Certainly, I'd expect, say, a Mk.1 car, painted c/c in 1955, to be still in that condition in 1959/'60. 

Gamston, being set in 1955, only had carmine/cream gangwayed stock, and non-gangwayed stock in crimson. There were a few antiques in brown/teak as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am modelling the early to mid sixties. I am sticking to post 1956 livery to pre 1966 corporate livery, that is black or green locos, maroon coaches and green DMUs for my layout. Therefore sicking with my visually compatible concept.

I thought you were using every livery ever produced, and all on the same coach! ;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Tony,

Since Little Bytham is set in the summer of 1958 (a year later than Retford), then, quite rightly, there is a mixture of carmine/cream and maroon. Though some of the prestige trains are all-maroon - The 'Lizzie', the 'Talismans' and 'The Flying Scotsman' for instance, there is no full rake which is all carmine/cream. This is based on photographic evidence, though there are many prototype pictures which show, even in those prestige trains, a carmine/cream substitute. These even extend into Deltic-haulage.  

I don't know what the carriage-painting regime dictated as to when carriages would be re-painted. Maroon was introduced on BR in 1956, so I think it's safe to assume that several cars retained carmine/cream into the early-'60s, some older cars never carrying maroon. Certainly, I'd expect, say, a Mk.1 car, painted c/c in 1955, to be still in that condition in 1959/'60. 

Gamston, being set in 1955, only had carmine/cream gangwayed stock, and non-gangwayed stock in crimson. There were a few antiques in brown/teak as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

It was probably the Carmine ones I was remembering rather than maroon on Gamston Bank. It  is now quite a few years since I saw the layout. I just remember that the carriages had a variety of colours that looked how I would have expected it to look.

I read once that carriages could expect a repaint something like every 4 or 5 years, although there are clearly variations in that. It does tie in with the length of time some liveries were applied. The Carmine and Cream livery would have its early carriages coming in for a repaint just when the maroon (plus green and chocolate/brown) livery was introduced. It may be a total coincidence that a change in livery was introduced just when the first ones would be coming in for a repaint but it crossed my mind that it might have been planned. 

I know Roy used to make a point of mentioning that he had established that the "Talisman" was the first all maroon set to run in the new livery.

As I said, if you can tell the approximate date of a layout by looking at the mix of carriage liveries, then the layout builder has done a good job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, davidw said:

A  "crack express" by 1960 would have a heavy dependence on Mk1's. Pre-nationalistation stock  would have found their way on to secondary services; second-link duties. Summer Saturday extras are fascinating as anything that could turn a wheel is pressed into service.

Good afternoon David,

'Obviously care are must be taken with "photographic evidence" as some captions are a work of fiction. In one of the books I've got (can't remember the name ) a huge number of the A4's are report hauling the Elizabethan, which is very unlikely based on the coaches behind the tender.'

This is a conundrum which has made my captioning of pictures of the 'Lizzie' very difficult, especially when no actual date is provided on the print.

'Officially', 'The Elizabethan' only ran from Monday to Friday in the summer timetable. The set also ran on Saturdays, but was strengthened by at least two/three cars towards the north end (these could be almost any type). The same A4s were used and should have carried the headboard reversed. The train was not non-stop.

The same A4s were also used on a Sunday, but not the set (which would be cleaned/maintained on that day). The Sunday train was made up of all sorts of jumbled stock, and was usually longer. Again, the headboard should have been reversed. 

Some of these pictures have probably appeared before, though the same questions keep on cropping up......

18889507_A460025York28_08_60.jpg.efc1b46b3345ea9e45302b0b2e055e67.jpg

1329050580_A460027York28_08_60.jpg.df21e027fbfe28b38afac9892a8663b8.jpg

Both these pictures, taken on the same day, show the Saturday train in the summer of 1960, at York. It would seem that Top Shed's crew has decided that the train should be actually named. There are two extra cars behind the Aberdeen portion behind FALCON, a Gresley and a Mk.1.

Haymarket's crew on MERLIN have correctly reversed the 'board. Again, this rake has been strengthened, including a car in carmine/cream, and the leading BG has been replaced by what looks like a Mk.1 BSO. And, the leading FK is not PV, so won't have a ladies' retiring room.

1553702256_60030SaturdayElizabethan.jpg.b2b1112524f0d6f684365d7999246a0e.jpg

Another shot of a Saturday 'Lizzie', with correct way round headboard. This time the BG is a Mk.1 rather than one of the trio of Thompsons, and there is at least one car in c/c towards the rear. Note the 'correct' FK as second car in the rake, its covered solebars being very distinct. Beware this kind of detail, though. Because the covering of the solebars created a moisture trap and thus corrosion, there's evidence that some of the PV cars had the covers cut away later in their life. Oh, those joys of 'coach-picking'.  

1684142296_60012SundayElizabethanworking1958.jpg.c169bda91e259ec229c2e1701e60664b.jpg

This is a Sunday working in 1958, approaching Retford. A very jumbled rake indeed, at least 13 cars-long. Correctly, the 'board is reversed, but it's when it's not, on workings such as this, which causes confusion. 

That said, it's wonderful images like these which make my own personal model-making so interesting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I thought you were using every livery ever produced, and all on the same coach! ;)

@Clive Mortimore is simply modelling to current real life standards where door colours have to be different to the rest of the coach. Cutting edge - literally and figuratively.

Do you think I can find a photo of a Mk1 in a livery but with replacement (almost obligatory NSE) doors? I must have one somewhere to prove there really is a prototype for everything.

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon David,

'Obviously care are must be taken with "photographic evidence" as some captions are a work of fiction. In one of the books I've got (can't remember the name ) a huge number of the A4's are report hauling the Elizabethan, which is very unlikely based on the coaches behind the tender.'

This is a conundrum which has made my captioning of pictures of the 'Lizzie' very difficult, especially when no actual date is provided on the print.

'Officially', 'The Elizabethan' only ran from Monday to Friday in the summer timetable. The set also ran on Saturdays, but was strengthened by at least two/three cars towards the north end (these could be almost any type). The same A4s were used and should have carried the headboard reversed. The train was not non-stop.

The same A4s were also used on a Sunday, but not the set (which would be cleaned/maintained on that day). The Sunday train was made up of all sorts of jumbled stock, and was usually longer. Again, the headboard should have been reversed. 

Some of these pictures have probably appeared before, though the same questions keep on cropping up......

18889507_A460025York28_08_60.jpg.efc1b46b3345ea9e45302b0b2e055e67.jpg

1329050580_A460027York28_08_60.jpg.df21e027fbfe28b38afac9892a8663b8.jpg

Both these pictures, taken on the same day, show the Saturday train in the summer of 1960, at York. It would seem that Top Shed's crew has decided that the train should be actually named. There are two extra cars behind the Aberdeen portion behind FALCON, a Gresley and a Mk.1.

Haymarket's crew on MERLIN have correctly reversed the 'board. Again, this rake has been strengthened, including a car in carmine/cream, and the leading BG has been replaced by what looks like a Mk.1 BSO. And, the leading FK is not PV, so won't have a ladies' retiring room.

1553702256_60030SaturdayElizabethan.jpg.b2b1112524f0d6f684365d7999246a0e.jpg

Another shot of a Saturday 'Lizzie', with correct way round headboard. This time the BG is a Mk.1 rather than one of the trio of Thompsons, and there is at least one car in c/c towards the rear. Note the 'correct' FK as second car in the rake, its covered solebars being very distinct. Beware this kind of detail, though. Because the covering of the solebars created a moisture trap and thus corrosion, there's evidence that some of the PV cars had the covers cut away later in their life. Oh, those joys of 'coach-picking'.  

1684142296_60012SundayElizabethanworking1958.jpg.c169bda91e259ec229c2e1701e60664b.jpg

This is a Sunday working in 1958, approaching Retford. A very jumbled rake indeed, at least 13 cars-long. Correctly, the 'board is reversed, but it's when it's not, on workings such as this, which causes confusion. 

That said, it's wonderful images like these which make my own personal model-making so interesting.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

I had anticipated that some were the Summer Saturday workings. Others do just look plain wrong.

On a separate but slightly related note, I fished out my Elizabethan out of the attic yesterday. Many of the windows of the coaches have failed - the attic is very warm - Can you or anyone else recommed a glue that will secure them. Thanks

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Richard,

I have really no idea what colour the carriages were when I first travelled between Kiveton Park and Retford return. All I know is that they were filthy.

They could have been any diagram, but I wouldn't have known - ex-GC, ex-GN, ex-LNER. They were all non-gangwayed in my recollection. 

How about this?

224344395_61636small.jpg.1d1a0460b464b9eee87da90a5d0a9c13.jpg

The boat train near Kiveton Bridge. Again 'in the 1950s', so could the seventh car be still in teak? If it's a Mk.1, then it can't be, but I can't tell. 

What's the point in showing these prototype pictures (which are all subject to copyright restrictions)? Well, it would appear to me that teak/pre-Nationalisation colours lasted quite a long time into BR days, giving an amazing variety. 

My own personal memories are far too unreliable for me to offer anything with credibility (though these were scenes I saw). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Anyone else spot the converted diagram 16 RKB? Second coach, there were only 3 of them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know all though the history of railways there have been livery changes, just look at the permutations when Deeley introduced his simplified livery and renumbered all the locos a year later on the MR.

I am modelling the early to mid sixties. I am sticking to post 1956 livery to pre 1966 corporate livery, that is black or green locos, maroon coaches and green DMUs for my layout. Therefore sicking with my visually compatible concept.

Before everyone shouts D1733 and the XP64 train was in blue grey in 1964. It was but the slapping on boring blue onto anything that moved didn't start in earnest until 66, then it took its time.

But bear in mind that Crimson and Cream didn't disappear entirely (at least on the Southern Region) until 1962, There were still a couple of Mk1 3-sets so finished knocking around the Western Division until at least June of that year. I doubt they'd have been released for repainting until after the summer peak unless they went into the EMU conversion programme.

One or two BGs may have kept the old livery a bit longer.

Beyond Mk1s, Quite a few SR Utility vans passed directly from crimson to blue via anonymous filth without regaining green and at least one LMS parcels van was photographed still in full company livery but for the addition of a couple of "M"s as late as 1960.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But bear in mind that Crimson and Cream didn't disappear entirely until 1962, SR Western Division kept a couple of Mk1 3-sets so finished until at least June of that year. I doubt they'd have been released for repainting until after the summer peak. and may have fallen into the EMU conversion programme anyway.

One or two BGs may have kept the old livery a bit longer.

Beyond Mk1s, Quite a few SR Utility vans passed directly from crimson to blue via anonymous filth without regaining green.

John

Hi John

I am aware of how long the last blood and custard coaches lasted but looking at photos of diesels it is very rare to see one behind a diesel after 1959, when there wasn't many diesels about, being as my layout is supposed to be diesel with the a few steam locos visually I think it would be better to stick with my plan. After all I have given up of stuff running along side each other being 100% accurate but with it looking compatible.  Might sound very wrong to many but hopefully when finished it will not be an eyesore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

I am aware of how long the last blood and custard coaches lasted but looking at photos of diesels it is very rare to see one behind a diesel after 1959, when there wasn't many diesels about, being as my layout is supposed to be diesel with the a few steam locos visually I think it would be better to stick with my plan. After all I have given up of stuff running along side each other being 100% accurate but with it looking compatible.  Might sound very wrong to many but hopefully when finished it will not be an eyesore.

Any model railway should be built to the satisfaction of the builder, it is no-one else's business what goes on your railway until you invite them to.

That is the broad church this hobby should be, if someone else doesn't like your railway, that is also fine but none of their business to pull you up about it unless it is obvious to those around the builder that he/she is interested in both complete accuracy and authenticity.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thanks Tony,

I had anticipated that some were the Summer Saturday workings. Others do just look plain wrong.

On a separate but slightly related note, I fished out my Elizabethan out of the attic yesterday. Many of the windows of the coaches have failed - the attic is very warm - Can you or anyone else recommed a glue that will secure them. Thanks

David

How were the windows fixed in place to begin with, David?

I've used Evo-Stik (in impact mode) down the years but it's not the glue it was. Time was when it was superb glue, but probably toxic. Because of misuse by idiots, I'm sure it's now been 'sanitised'. 

I built my 'Lizzie' set in the mid-'90s, and only last week I was running it round when a friend noticed a side had 'sprung'. The Evo-Stik had failed, though not on the glazing. Yet, some very old BSL carriages I built over 40 years ago with Evo-Stik remain intact! 

I don't really know which glue to recommend. I re-fixed the side with superglue, but that tends to fog glazing. 

Regards,

Tony. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've used Evo-Stik (in impact mode) down the years but it's not the glue it was. Time was when it was superb glue, but probably toxic. Because of misuse by idiots, I'm sure it's now been 'sanitised'. 

I built my 'Lizzie' set in the mid-'90s, and only last week I was running it round when a friend noticed a side had 'sprung'. The Evo-Stik had failed, though not on the glazing. Yet, some very old BSL carriages I built over 40 years ago with Evo-Stik remain intact! 

I don't really know which glue to recommend. I re-fixed the side with superglue, but that tends to fog glazing. 

Regards,

Tony. 

There are non-fogging superglues available.

https://www.glueonline.co.uk/product/permabond-947-20gm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlp2t8baT6wIVTbTtCh1tuwwqEAQYASABEgLlEPD_BwE

Not cheap - but if it does the job ....... ?

John isherwood.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony, it was Evostick I used. Probably 15 years back. I got some of the new stuff in  a tin went rock hard after being open a couple of weeks. I've had foggy windows too. i don't want to go there again.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

There are non-fogging superglues available.

https://www.glueonline.co.uk/product/permabond-947-20gm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlp2t8baT6wIVTbTtCh1tuwwqEAQYASABEgLlEPD_BwE

Not cheap - but if it does the job ....... ?

John isherwood.

Hi John Thanks for the link I'll have to try it.

• RMweb Premium

Evostik does seem to have a limited life but may be about 20-25 years - there's certainly a lot of failed Evostik joints in the Lawrence/Goddard coaches running on Carlisle. I've been using clear varnish to fix glazing for some time now with very few failures. For flat glass in thin sides (I mostly do loco cab glazing) I paint varnish round the opening and drop the glazing on, leave for an hour or so and then do another side. I have also used varnish for many years to fix shaped pieces of glazing in thick moulded bodies.

t.jpg.172ab9fd390871f859f2aabaddc58816.jpg

This EM1 was built (from the DC kits resin moulding) and painted 16 years ago, no windows have fallen out and it's running on Wentworth Junction now (not mine - it's on semi-permanent loan).

• Like 14

Evo-stick of today is a quite different beast  to what it used to be. This is because tolulene is no longer a constituent.

Its bonding qualities are acknowledged not to be what they were and neither is the bond as long lived.

As explained way earlier in the thread.

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I use Birchwood Casey "Superblue" as sold by Wizard Models. As PMP has mentioned there are different products as they do a "Brass black" as well.

Not any more we don't, as liquids cannot be sent through the post. Eileen's Emporium will courier it out.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2