Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Has anyone considered these couplings?

1985861789_EMD1101.jpg.fea3135a23d1ee692640563e473b72d2.jpg

This is on the front of a modified Bachmann 'Director', of which more later....................

Tony

I note that the smokebox of the Director is not seated properly and appears to be caught on the left hand frame.  This should be easily rectified by unscrewing the boiler from the frames at the front end and re-seating it. The screw is immediately in front of the bogie mount.

In addition, may I make a suggestion - the frames above the bogie, which are attachments fitted by the purchaser of the model could be fitted more centrally. Fitted as designed by Bachmann they are actually inline with the wheels which of course is impossible and is quite obvious on the model. When I received mine I cut away the sides of the central section of the bogie mount so I could set them further in. Even on a model re-gauged to EM they appear to be too far out but you shouldn't have to set them as far in as I did for 16.5mm gauge.

The loco certainly has the character of being near the end of its life.

In regards to the Hornby and Bachmann screw couplings - I've used them when double heading locos with no issues. Not RTR locos but kit built ones I've fitted them to e.g. a pair of ex L&Y Dreadnoughts which look nice double heading.

Andrew  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

I note that the smokebox of the Director is not seated properly and appears to be caught on the left hand frame.  This should be easily rectified by unscrewing the boiler from the frames at the front end and re-seating it. The screw is immediately in front of the bogie mount.

In addition, may I make a suggestion - the frames above the bogie, which are attachments fitted by the purchaser of the model could be fitted more centrally. Fitted as designed by Bachmann they are actually inline with the wheels which of course is impossible and is quite obvious on the model. When I received mine I cut away the sides of the central section of the bogie mount so I could set them further in. Even on a model re-gauged to EM they appear to be too far out but you shouldn't have to set them as far in as I did for 16.5mm gauge.

The loco certainly has the character of being near the end of its life.

In regards to the Hornby and Bachmann screw couplings - I've used them when double heading locos with no issues. Not RTR locos but kit built ones I've fitted them to e.g. a pair of ex L&Y Dreadnoughts which look nice double heading.

Andrew  

I noted that after I'd taken the picture, Andrew,

I'll investigate.

'The loco certainly has the character of being near the end of its life.'

It's in exactly the same condition as when I last saw 62661 - at Kiveton Park in 1959. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Good afternoon Tony,

I 've been wondering if there was any sign of the Trice V2's having been painted?

David 

Good evening David,

Both V2s are with Geoff Haynes for painting at the moment.

As with all the best builders/painters his order book stretches way into the future - even years. I've said to him 'as and when'. 

He already has 60157 and 60523 (both built from DJH kits) of mine which I know have been painted, and await lining/finishing. 

As you know we barter, and I'm completing the L&Y 0-6-0 for one of his customers (I must admit I've only just picked it up again after over a fortnight of my 'melting' in this heat. It must be my age!). 

I know Geoff follows this thread, so he might inform us of progress.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Could it be that many exhibition layouts now under construction will never see completion? Or layouts having only just started on the circuit in the last 12 months might never be seen again?

A pessimistic view, I admit. That said, I've abandoned any plans for my building of Kiveton Park now. It would have been built for exhibitions, but it'll never happen now. 

On a more optimistic note, as covid restrictions ease, I can see a return of visitors to see LB, socially distancing, of course. In that respect, a layout 'which never leaves home' will be seen; and by many in the future, I hope. 

As a member of the group responsible for the South Pelaw Junction layout, which I know you've seen and photographed, we've had the same discussion.  As we are lucky enough to have a permanent (at least for the foreseeable) home for the layout, we also reckon that the only way for the layout to be seen by anyone in the next year or so, is for people to come and visit us.

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Could it be that many exhibition layouts now under construction will never see completion? Or layouts having only just started on the circuit in the last 12 months might never be seen again?

A pessimistic view, I admit. That said, I've abandoned any plans for my building of Kiveton Park now. It would have been built for exhibitions, but it'll never happen now.

Hi Tony,

Why not build it, or something - and "exhibit" the build step-by-step on RMWeb?  A far bigger audience than pretty much any Model Railway Exhibition.  It could also be used as a fund raising mechanism for CRUK.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Our mutual view is that we can't see any shows taking place until the autumn of next year at the earliest, if ever again.

Good Evening Tony,

I know how much you and Mo have enjoyed attending Model Rail Scotland and we are privileged to have had you as one of our layout judges. We agonised over whether the 2021 exhibition would be possible but the decision was eventually taken out of our hands, You may be aware that the SEC in Glasgow was set up as a Nightingale hospital shortly after the outbreak of the virus. The Scottish Government have extended the contract with the SEC until the end of March. Since the show is always on the last full weekend in February that made the venue unavailable. We also ruled out staging it later that year.

A sad but inevitable decision which pains everyone involved and indicative of the position countrywide. 

Archie

• Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think that it may well be the case that this could happen, so perhaps we all have to think in a different way. 

We, also, are fortunate in having a permanent place for both our Alloa layout and our newest club layout of Larbert http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106627-larbert/ , so we can continue to enjoy the building of it, which is surely also a part of our hobby?

As regards letting others enjoy our efforts then we can always use the thread on here, and also, perhaps use Youtube and as noted above by others to have invitations for visitors to come to us. Before lockdown we had arranged a visit by another group to come and visit and were expecting around 40, but inevitably this had to be cancelled due to the restrictions but we would hope that, eventually, we may be able to hold such visits again.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Tony

If a OO loco is converted to EM just pushing the wheels out and adding washers means that the loco looks wrong. An overlay on the RTR chassis gives the chassis a lot more reality.. Mike Edge has etches for Black 5s and A3s/A4s and they make the loco so much better.

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

29 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Tony

If a OO loco is converted to EM just pushing the wheels out and adding washers means that the loco looks wrong. An overlay on the RTR chassis gives the chassis a lot more reality.. Mike Edge has etches for Black 5s and A3s/A4s and they make the loco so much better.

Baz

I'm sure they do Baz,

However, it's 'horses for courses with regard to the D11 (which, I assume is the loco that, in your view, looks 'wrong').

It'll be up to Sandra Orpen if she uses it on Retford, but, if so, any operator running it (it'll be on the GC-section) will be no nearer than five/six feet away from it - for much of the time 16' and more away. Are your eyes good enough to be able to detect that the frames are too narrow, at that sort of range? I know mine aren't. When I next visit Retford, I'll take a picture of 62661 in service, and you can judge for yourself. 

I'm not advocating a slipshod approach, merely a pragmatic one. Yes, of course, if one is building stock for a terminus-to-fiddle-yard 'plank' then go all the way.

I've told this tale before but it's worth reiterating. Roy Jackson and I were standing adjacent to the flat crossing on Retford when someone commented that he couldn't see any brakes on an N5 which was shunting at Babworth (over a scale half a mile away). I'm sure you can imagine Roy's reaction, but it went along the lines of telling the guy (who must have been daft) that he couldn't even see the (sexual reference here!) loco, let alone if it had any (further sexual reference!) brakes! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm sure they do Baz,

However, it's 'horses for courses with regard to the D11 (which, I assume is the loco that, in your view, looks 'wrong').

It'll be up to Sandra Orpen if she uses it on Retford, but, if so, any operator running it (it'll be on the GC-section) will be no nearer than five/six feet away from it - for much of the time 16' and more away. Are your eyes good enough to be able to detect that the frames are too narrow, at that sort of range? I know mine aren't. When I next visit Retford, I'll take a picture of 62661 in service, and you can judge for yourself. 

I'm not advocating a slipshod approach, merely a pragmatic one. Yes, of course, if one is building stock for a terminus-to-fiddle-yard 'plank' then go all the way.

I've told this tale before but it's worth reiterating. Roy Jackson and I were standing adjacent to the flat crossing on Retford when someone commented that he couldn't see any brakes on an N5 which was shunting at Babworth (over a scale half a mile away). I'm sure you can imagine Roy's reaction, but it went along the lines of telling the guy (who must have been daft) that he couldn't even see the (sexual reference here!) loco, let alone if it had any (further sexual reference!) brakes! 

Regards,

Tony. 

I recall that it was said of Jim Whittaker of MMRS that if he couldn't see a detail from 3ft away then he wouldn't model it.  Most people thought that this referred to the model but in his case it referred to 3ft from the prototype.

Edited by Adam88
typo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

If that close up view of the D11 has the bogie in a central position, rather than pushed over to one side, it does look very odd seeing the dummy frames above the bogie so far out to the edge. They should be roughly in line with the back of the wheels, not the front.

Even allowing for over thick and under gauge wheels in EM, it looks quite wrong to me. I don't have a Bachmann D11, as although it is my beloved GCR, it is too modern for me, so I can't check but if that can be easily altered it would considerably improve the look.

The body looks really good, although I do have photos of 62661 with a very bent footplate at the front LH side, so depending on the period, the model may need dropping on the floor! There is a very nice D11 that Roy built on the layout. A few fairly quick and simple improvements to the mechanism could make this one look just as good. Without them, it will always be an obvious Bachmann one. With a few mods, it will be hard to tell them apart.  

My photo illustrates.

845705597_ButlerHenderson04052008070.jpg.cb5af5393beae33394a01ba99291f7b8.jpg

The outside face of the wheels shouldn't be level with the frames, it should be the back of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just been in email correspondence with a friend where we were discussing (among other things) the current situation regarding exhibitions. 

By coincidence, my contact at Cancer Research UK phoned me earlier to see how I was and if there was anything she could do. Significantly (because of covid), our contribution to CRUK has only been around £250.00 this year, yet last year Mo and I sent over £3,000.00; no shows since late-Feb and, apart from a couple of passing friends, no visitors to LB, thus, no contributions of any size to the charity. 

Our mutual view is that we can't see any shows taking place until the autumn of next year at the earliest, if ever again. Whatever happens, it'll never be the same in future. We're lucky, we have our own railways/projects which don't need shows for them to run. I for one (being 'in danger' because of my age) would be very wary of attending an exhibition unless a vaccine becomes available, both as a visitor or exhibitor. 

On a more optimistic note, as covid restrictions ease, I can see a return of visitors to see LB, socially distancing, of course. In that respect, a layout 'which never leaves home' will be seen; and by many in the future, I hope. 

Firstly this is posted a a personal viewpoint and I stress not an official statement of either the SLS or the YMRS team (see logos in my sig’).

I concur with the timeline views expressed above regarding indoor gatherings of over 30 to perhaps a 100.  One option that may be relevant going forward is what I did with my Hornby Dublo display many years back now before committing it to its’ first show - I ran it in the bar of the local pub with donations for the Lifeboat (we live at the coast). Whilst I couldn’t repeat that there with anything more than about 8ft x 6ft the local Ex-B Legion club bar could take something considerably larger. Perhaps a way for those of us with portable layouts to bring back the idea of taking up railway modelling to the general public, refresh our desire to show off our creations, and raise money for a charity.

I think life will be very different for quite a while yet and we have to adapt to survive. There is an argument the calendar was becoming too overcrowded with new, and large, shows and only time will tell in what format, and how often, we get back to some form of public hobby shows.

Edited by john new
Errant comma.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm sure they do Baz,

Regards,

Tony. 

Well Roy did the chassis for the A3s he converted and then was less than amused to find that Mike Edge had done an etch overlay. Just don't take front on pictures of it...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Adam88 said:

I recall that it was said of Jim Whittaker of MMRS that if he couldn't see a detail from 3ft away then he wouldn't model it.  Most people thought that this referred to the model but in his case it referred to 3ft from the prototype.

I recall David Jenkinson once stating that when making a model, get as many prototype pictures of it as possible (be it a loco, carriage or wagon). Then build the model, observing it from the same sort of angles as in the prototype pictures. Any detail which could be observed, incorporate into the model. Any detail which could not be seen, even if you knew it were present on the real thing (say a big brake cylinder between a loco's frames), don't bother with.

He was once taken to task for not putting all the conduits and associated gubbins on the underneath of the floor pan of a carriage he'd built. His response was 'If the only way you can see this sort of detail is if your carriage derails, tumbles down an embankment and lands upside down in a ditch, then don't build a layout where this is likely to happen!'.  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, john new said:

Firstly this is posted a a personal viewpoint and I stress not an official statement of either the SLS or the YMRS team (see logos in my sig’).

I concur with the timeline views expressed above regarding indoor gatherings of over 30 to perhaps a 100.  One option that may be relevant going forward is what I did with my Hornby Dublo display many years back now before committing it to its’ first show - I ran it in the bar of the local pub with donations for the Lifeboat (we live at the coast). Whilst I couldn’t repeat that there with anything more than about 8ft x 6ft the local Ex-B Legion club bar could take something considerably larger. Perhaps a way for those of us with portable layouts to bring back the idea of taking up railway modelling to the general public, refresh our desire to show off our creations, and raise money for a charity.

I think life will be very different for quite a while yet and we have to adapt to survive. There is an argument the calendar was becoming too overcrowded with new, and large, shows and only time will tell in what format, and how often, we get back to some form of public hobby shows.

A sound post, John,

Thank you.

I think you're right that the calendar for shows was becoming very crowded. Mo and I have come to the decision that we were probably doing too many shows as it was - in one case, five consecutive weekends, four away. All of these were excellent, well-run and great fun (and allowed us to raise considerable funds for CRUK), but we're not getting any younger. 

I think it was also the case that more and more of the 'specialist', smaller traders were getting less and less inclined to attend (just the sort of trader which interests me), the result being that more and more of their patches were being taken up by new and second-hand RTR 'box-shifters'. Not my cup of tea at all, though they have their places.

As I've alluded to, as time goes on, my intention is to have visitors to see LB again - a sort of 'one layout' model railway show. There's space to socially distance, as long as no more three visitors at a time attend. Could this sort of thing be a new way forward in the hobby? I think your idea of taking a layout to various social clubs (which have plenty of space) is excellent, especially for fund-raising purposes. In a way, it's a return to the grass roots of the hobby. 

Whatever happens, I'm convinced that many shows will just disappear - we've had the heyday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It might well be that some clubs fold as well. 

The BRM virtual exhibition earlier on seemed to be a great success, so will we see more of those in future? 

One thing is certain; the hobby will never be the same again. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I see the BRM virtual exhibition has been mentioned. you may not realise that the Scalefour soc are doing just the same thing!

I am with you Tony one of my greatest pleasures has been to get to a exhibition in the UK. The only one that I have made it too was the Scaleforum in both Leatherhead and Aylesbury. The advantage was the bring and buy stands (i like kits!) and the smaller manufacturers of bits and pieces.  Infact I have just placed orders with Wizard models for a number items which I need, no single item over about 3 quid! So as "builders" of kits and actually using skills to put things together these are the traders that we need. 

The best thing about the move online is the small contingent like Jesse and I can actually attend with out the plane ticket! I can see a combination of tech and physical exhibitions comming on. My idea a while ago was for the specialist exhibitions was to have a computer set up on the info desk so we members could discuss with other members at the stand!  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

If that close up view of the D11 has the bogie in a central position, rather than pushed over to one side, it does look very odd seeing the dummy frames above the bogie so far out to the edge. They should be roughly in line with the back of the wheels, not the front.

Even allowing for over thick and under gauge wheels in EM, it looks quite wrong to me. I don't have a Bachmann D11, as although it is my beloved GCR, it is too modern for me, so I can't check but if that can be easily altered it would considerably improve the look.

The body looks really good, although I do have photos of 62661 with a very bent footplate at the front LH side, so depending on the period, the model may need dropping on the floor! There is a very nice D11 that Roy built on the layout. A few fairly quick and simple improvements to the mechanism could make this one look just as good. Without them, it will always be an obvious Bachmann one. With a few mods, it will be hard to tell them apart.  

My photo illustrates.

The outside face of the wheels shouldn't be level with the frames, it should be the back of them.

Thanks Tony,

I must admit to not noticing how far out the front frames are above the bogie wheels. Lack of perception on my part!

Though I can't now remember, they must be add-on features provided with the model.........

1444871894_BachmannGCD11ButlerHenderson31-145NRM01.jpg.e21915fe2b161fea25b1389f969dd16a.jpg

This is the NRM one as-supplied. Aren't you tempted?

910584500_D1162661.jpg.eb984a24d19162fb658a587c864e05e7.jpg

I must have fitted them on 62661 in her OO days. The 'sticking-out' effect is even more pronounced in 16.5mm. 

1502434523_BachmannD11.jpg.84950393eb7cb80edc2d3afd68c16d53.jpg

I think this is Barry Oliver's D11, or at least one he's weathered. Again, the front frames have been added.

785482843_D1062653bentfrontendandpatches.jpg.f9be2c33068aaa27efe169fbbc9065c9.jpg

Though this is a D10, the characteristic sagging front buffer beam is apparent. And, look at those cabside patches! 

1965042609_D1162660Darnall19_09.581976.jpg.1ae5249b9e996247d3d3ab9e14d52e2e.jpg

Another 'Director' droopy 'beam.

311758068_D1162662DarnallShed19_09.582035.jpg.938f7bb743aa9b5ac1ece9ba552ac0a6.jpg

just a hint on this one?

2361057_D1162668TraffordPrk18_06.5555F6.jpg.a37b238f8d6774fbc98164a5353aeea4.jpg

And maybe here.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

My photo illustrates.

Sorry Tony,

I forgot this in my last post.............

'There is a very nice D11 that Roy built on the layout.'

205401261_Retford12101929D11.jpg.ba6da1f74f81192856ed1e8b101da92e.jpg

I don't think whatever I did to 62661 would make it as good as this..........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I recall David Jenkinson once stating that when making a model, get as many prototype pictures of it as possible (be it a loco, carriage or wagon). Then build the model, observing it from the same sort of angles as in the prototype pictures. Any detail which could be observed, incorporate into the model. Any detail which could not be seen, even if you knew it were present on the real thing (say a big brake cylinder between a loco's frames), don't bother with.

He was once taken to task for not putting all the conduits and associated gubbins on the underneath of the floor pan of a carriage he'd built. His response was 'If the only way you can see this sort of detail is if your carriage derails, tumbles down an embankment and lands upside down in a ditch, then don't build a layout where this is likely to happen!'.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Interestingly,  even in 7mm scale David wrote that he didn't fit detailed interiors within his coaches, merely painting the insides black. He said no one noticed. They assumed the interiors matched the superb modelling of the rest and their brains filled in the blanks.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re: Modelling bent footplates, buffer beams, and other imperfections.

Thank you for the 'bent' pictures.

I will be back at Locomotion at Shildon today.

A quick survey last year (sorry, I lost my notes) revealed that very few of the locomotive exhibits have 'straight' footplates. We also had one visitor who complained that the 'air-smoothed' cladding on the Bulleid Pacific wasn't smooth. How many tenders have you seen where the side plating is actually as flat and smooth as most models depict.

When I first saw Graham Nicholas's 'Shap' layout, I couldn't help thinking that the prototypically unlevel name board on the Signal Box just looked wrong. 

Is there some function of scale here?  Does the eye not accept a distortion which may be quite accurate?

Has anybody been able to model such things convincingly?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Modelling bent footplates, buffer beams, and other imperfections.

Thank you for the 'bent' pictures.

I will be back at Locomotion at Shildon today.

A quick survey last year (sorry, I lost my notes) revealed that very few of the locomotive exhibits have 'straight' footplates. We also had one visitor who complained that the 'air-smoothed' cladding on the Bulleid Pacific wasn't smooth. How many tenders have you seen where the side plating is actually as flat and smooth as most models depict.

When I first saw Graham Nicholas's 'Shap' layout, I couldn't help thinking that the prototypically unlevel name board on the Signal Box just looked wrong. 

Is there some function of scale here?  Does the eye not accept a distortion which may be quite accurate?

Has anybody been able to model such things convincingly?

I honestly think it's impossible to copy the prototype exactly.

Examine these pictures for instance..............

1543706258_A460022Barkston24_05.612832.jpg.e16c442d330e638244f73ea70716a047.jpg

897594349_A460023DoncasterShed04_01.632937.jpg.1a00642ea09b1d3586f6a22c1bb548d2.jpg

Two ex-works A4s, fresh from Donny paint shop. Look at all the creases and dents in the boiler cladding and, particularly, on 60023's tender. Who'd be brave enough to deliberately reproduce this effect?

73817819_HornbyA401.jpg.a8222656f9962e22adaadeffaaba2d86.jpg

Is Hornby's A4 too perfect? A detailed/modified example, re-painted by Ian Rathbone. Not a crease or dent in sight.

303787856_C1367439Rotherwood23_08.581957.jpg.1f6d90821b7a5ce8ea722d376e3d6440.jpg

And who'd model the patches and creases in this? Or the buckled valance at the front?

681666825_T169912StocktonShed24_04.5543H88.jpg.abefe93002dd22b336b38db00bfbec82.jpg

Or the crease in this? And the buckled cylinder casing and bent valance...................

I've shown the following pair before, but they substantiate the point about modelling the prototype, accurately...... 

1852960484_D3062437benthandrail.jpg.a12087436cea3fc90f8cd556d75b6872.jpg

1032693394_D3462474benthandrail.jpg.0dd3ef744246cc59434d9bf3f38081e6.jpg

I had thought at first that a particularly-obese fitter had been fiddling with the domes, using the handrail as a step. However, one picture I saw of these ex-NB 4-4-0s had part of the motion hanging from the handrail, attached by a block and tackle. 

Model those handrails like these and it would just look wrong!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1