Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Not at the moment.

When did you send it, please?

Erm...yesterday I think? I just thought it’s not like you to ignore emails, but you are getting old...... 

Ill send it again anyway, just incase I actually didn’t send it, cause I’m getting old aswell....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Much of my demonstrating was 'hands-on'. Take soldering, for instance. Often I'd hold the hand of someone who was holding the iron (you know what I mean); impossible now. I'd have to have all my equipment/tools sanitised beforehand, and then re-santised after anyone else used them.

As for loco-doctoring, would I have to sanitise the model before accepting it for examination? Then, if I've been successful in fixing it (or even if not), sanitise it before handing it back? 

A work colleague said recently about what it would take for London's transport to return to previous usage levels; he said people would need to learn and accept three things:

1. Public Transport is not dangerous;
  2. Other people are not dirty;
  3. Cars are not the solution.

I believe a huge amount of infection in this country was prevented by reminding people to do what everyone should always have been doing in the first place: Washing their hands properly.  It is staggering how many adults don't habitually do this.

But I do sympathise with you, Tony, that your normal exhibition activities will be so impacted to be almost impossible.

Rob

Edited by Northmoor
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth (re exhibitions) ...

This show https://gbmrs.com/ is planned to go ahead, over the weekend of 7th/8th November. As exhibitors, we've been contacted with a positive statement as such, seeking confirmation of our support (to which we've given a cautious 'yes', as we don't yet know the arrangements for exhibitors).

Interestingly, it is on the site of a museum (British Motor Museum), ref previous comments on the topic. I would assume that the museum's Covid rules will apply to the model railway show. Tickets in advance, for a timed arrival slot but - apparently - no limit on time at show.

Hornby are sponsoring the show which presumably gives some financial security. Of note, is that LSGC is one of the advertised layouts.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and November but if it does go ahead, I'll report back.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm with you entirely on this one, Tony,

Since most of the shows I attend (or did attend) required my being a demonstrator/loco-doctor-judge, then I'd be there for the duration. 

So, how would I carry on doing such things under restrictions/social-distancing? With great difficulty. 

Much of my demonstrating was 'hands-on'. Take soldering, for instance. Often I'd hold the hand of someone who was holding the iron (you know what I mean); impossible now. I'd have to have all my equipment/tools sanitised beforehand, and then re-santised after anyone else used them.

As for loco-doctoring, would I have to sanitise the model before accepting it for examination? Then, if I've been successful in fixing it (or even if not), sanitise it before handing it back? 

I think it would be impossible - anyway, I just wouldn't be there...........

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I think there will be ways round your loco doctoring. Rather than sanitising the model, you could sanitise your hands before and after touching it. I’m no epidemiologist, but I think that would be pretty safe. Holding someone’s hand with a soldering iron might be more difficult but if you both sanisitised your hands first and wore masks it should be possible. 

The key thing in all this is managing risk. While the incidence of the virus stays low, the risk is manageable. This can be achieved by partial lockdown (as now) or through a vaccine. The vaccine doesn’t have to be 100% effective for it to work in controlling the virus. It just has to work sufficiently well to keep the virus from rampaging unchecked as it was in early March. Provided we can keep the incidence in the general population at low levels, then you’re more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the show....and while not good news, that is a risk that we all accept on a day to day basis.

As others have said, it’s all about what risk each of us is happy with. It may be that the worry spoils shows for you (and many others) or that the discomfort/hassle of the necccessary precautions make it not worthwhile. Each of us will have to make their own decision. However, I strongly believe that people overestimate the risk (to themselves) from COVID because it’s in the news everyday. In saying that, I realise that the risk could increase dramatically again if we, as a nation, don’t keep a check on it, so all the measures we are taking are justified.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

Another way to mitigate the risk when loco doctoring would be to wear disposable gloves. There'd be no need to sanitise the models before you touch them as the gloves provide you with protection. You would however have to sanitise them before returning them.

It would also be advisable to wash your hands before putting the gloves on and after taking them off. 

This is what I'm having to do at work when going to schools to maintain their IT equipment.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Some contributors with pretty obvious political preferences and self-appointed expert status like to state such things as "the government hasn't got a clue". I think they'll find that the government is very well informed and has lots of ideas, but unlike amateur experts, it has to take notice of all of the conflicting needs of the country rather than simply concentrating on coronavirus. Whilst some of us quite obviously need to take great care regarding health and hygiene at present, the shocking news is that the world has not ended but model railway shows are not one of life's absolute essentials. If it turns out that no adequate vaccine can be developed, the only way for society to return to a form more like its previous norm may well be to allow the virus to spread, in a sufficiently slow and controlled way, and to hope that enough of the population thus develop sufficiently lasting immunity to neutralize the threat of further major outbreaks.

My "government" is the USA White House. So I can't concur with your first sentence in my location..

The R factor for Cobvid19 is too high to allow it spread, even slowly. It doesn't understand "slow".

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Without appearing to be a 'wuss', I think I'll refrain from attending exhibitions for a while, even if they return in a different form (which, I hope, they do). 

I understand the sanitising of the hands thing (Mo and I are doing it all the time), and the rubber gloves, but my age will always militate against the situation with covid. 

Granted, the increases of infections (or is it contagions?) of late seem to be among younger folk (not many grannies and granddads go to illegal raves - or do they?), nor go mob-handed to pubs. However, I'm not done yet and I've no wish to run too many risks, yet. It could well be that many punters aren't prepared to risk it either, and, given that the 'more mature' make up most attendees, then numbers might struggle.

We'll all have to wait and see. 

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some friends of mine who exhibit lots of layouts were also asked about the November show and the majority vote was not to attend. Unfortunately, I think that might be the response of lots of potential exhibitors. I think it very unlikely that there will be many shows before the second half of 2021 at the earliest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

23 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I did wonder, Andrew. Sorry to hear that you recent work won't be seen (in public) just yet, but the reasons completely understandable.

We will come through this thing, humanity always finds a way. In the meantime, we need to be patient and sensible, think of others but not give in.

Besides, it gives me more time to zap out a B7. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Regarding "The R factor for Cobvid19 is too high to allow it spread, even slowly. It doesn't understand slow".

It's doing a pretty reasonable impression of spreading slowly in the UK at present, in those areas in which people are behaving with a level of caution appropriate to the population density. The r factor is controllable, not inevitably high.

Edited by gr.king
Inserted previously missing quotation
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

A bit more done on the hybrid J6 in EM................

814224407_EMJ602.jpg.7fb3855e83513d588ec2084db1d503c4.jpg

The motor should fit snugly into the firebox, though some of the backhead detail will have to go. 

The longer cabsides for the 512 Series have been soldered in place.

A fair bit of the scratch-built top (shown yesterday) will need modification, but it should eventually fit. 

1663847217_EMJ603.jpg.9234d27df9625803fb24d874c9684782.jpg

Pick-ups and rods in place and it runs superbly.

This is the first time I've used Markits drivers with stainless steel tyres. Obviously, they look more like steel than nickel silver, and they won't rust like many other steel-tyred types.

More tomorrow..................

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Unfortunately, LSGC will not be attending. I've been building stuff all year for this exhibition, it will now not be seen. However, that is unimportant, to defeat this virus we need to thinking about others and not judging the risk to ourselves.

November is far to soon in my opinion. Due to underlying health issues, this C19 has already taken one of our team. Others, such as Frank 'chuffer' Davies of this forum, may not be able to fight of this virus if inadvertently infected by the herd immunity gang, better to keep him and others safe. Herd immunity is a a nonsense with this virus, certainly by November. It would require community spread again and that can not be controlled without recourse to a second lockdown, that would bankrupt the country. I am younger and fitter than most who post on Wright Writes, I've had C19, though comparatively mild, it wasn't pleasant.

I hope in future we'll all be able to see your work in the flesh, Andrew 

I think it's very wise not to show LSGC just yet, and I'll be astonished if the show mentioned actually takes place, particularly as several scheduled for 2021 have already gone.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A bit more done on the hybrid J6 in EM................

814224407_EMJ602.jpg.7fb3855e83513d588ec2084db1d503c4.jpg

The motor should fit snugly into the firebox, though some of the backhead detail will have to go. 

The longer cabsides for the 512 Series have been soldered in place.

A fair bit of the scratch-built top (shown yesterday) will need modification, but it should eventually fit. 

1663847217_EMJ603.jpg.9234d27df9625803fb24d874c9684782.jpg

Pick-ups and rods in place and it runs superbly.

This is the first time I've used Markits drivers with stainless steel tyres. Obviously, they look more like steel than nickel silver, and they won't rust like many other steel-tyred types.

More tomorrow..................

Tony

Have you ever tried a High Level Gearbox, the days of Gearboxes protuding in the cab are long gone (or should be).

Mick

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, micklner said:

Tony

Have you ever tried a High Level Gearbox, the days of Gearboxes protuding in the cab are long gone (or should be).

Mick

I think that Tony is something of a Luddite when it comes to recent developments in model loco propulsion. :rolleyes: Not many of us are still blessed(?) with a blind eye, that cannot see motors protruding under boilers, or worms poking out of firebox doors.

I know that Tony will say that he uses old practices because they work for him - but, in his own words, if you don't try you don't know what you can achieve.

There does seem to be something anomalous about worrying about the wrong bogie wheels, the absence of loco lamps and crew, etc.; when there are very obvious portions of an electro-mechanical propulsion system poking out of the 'steam' loco infrastructure.

I know - each to our own! :)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Back from local pub, no pies left so fish chips & peas for four quid - just the job with a couple of pints of Wainwright !!  

Good to meet  (illegally in Wigan at the moment !!) a couple of mates though. We socially distanced and sanitised, as seemingly did everyone else. Well done Cherry Gardens hotel Wigan.

What a world though  - Hmmmm - Staff with plastic masks, tables marked out with yellow tape, no scratching of balls or backsides, hilarious to see football on the super huge TV with no crowds - what a  blimmin joke !!!

Some hopper cars to load with real coal and white PVC glue tomorrow, (That's if I survive the night !!)

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. Stainless Steel drivers with nickel silver pick ups..hmmm!

Why change to stainless steel. To work properly it needs a decent carbon content and it means it can go rusty so don't get them wet.

Yes high level gearboxes could provide a better solution..of course they are the same gear sets used by DJH apparently ..no single stage worm and gearwheel can be as quiet.

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Oh dear. Stainless Steel drivers with nickel silver pick ups..hmmm!

Why change to stainless steel. To work properly it needs a decent carbon content and it means it can go rusty so don't get them wet.

Yes high level gearboxes could provide a better solution..of course they are the same gear sets used by DJH apparently ..no single stage worm and gearwheel can be as quiet.

Baz

Interesting re Stainless steel and corrosion, I was'nt aware that it corroded. Nickel Silver must still be the best material to use.

https://www.theruststore.com/Can-stainless-steel-rust-W71.aspx

14 hours ago, Headstock said:

November is far to soon in my opinion. Due to underlying health issues, this C19 has already taken one of our team. Others, such as Frank 'chuffer' Davies of this forum, may not be able to fight of this virus if inadvertently infected by the herd immunity gang, better to keep him and others safe. Herd immunity is a a nonsense with this virus, certainly by November. It would require community spread again and that can not be controlled without recourse to a second lockdown, that would bankrupt the country. I am younger and fitter than most who post on Wright Writes, I've had C19, though comparatively mild, it wasn't pleasant.

Good morning Andrew. Sorry to hear that you've had experience of this awful virus. I know very little first hand apart from my uncle who died from it in a nursing home. But from the writings of others who have had it and recovered, it seems it is not like flu. They describe it as much worse and far more persistent with the effects lasting weeks and even months after. I wonder if this fits  with your experience? From my point of view, Chris, my other half, suffers from RA and as such has impaired immunity due to her drugs, so I cannot afford to take risks with it for her sake, never mind my own.  (in the same boat, I'm sure, as many on here). 

Anyway,  I entirely agree with your sentiments here. Apart from anything else, there's no evidence that having been through C19, you can't catch it again. Also, the latest estimates are that about 4-5% of the population have had it. Herd immunity, even if it did work,  requires at least 60% and that translates to many thousands more deaths. A vaccine, or vaccines, is/are our best hope and at least there seems to be some optimism on that from the developers. Please don't give up on making stock etc. for LCSG. Your superb models of carriages shown on here are a massive inspiration to me and others. I'm very much looking forward to seeing LCSG again when it's safe. If you're not fully through it yet, I hope you get through quickly.

Clem

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2