Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

16 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Currently in the process of editing the latest Little Bytham video. All footage shot by Tony, I'm merely editing.

Screenshot_2020-08-26_at_17_07_22.png.8a5e6ba4d1903a03b4afc6cd08bf51a7.png

It's around half an hour long, so will upload to youtube overnight, and will post in here tomorrow morning. 

Tony has taken some superb shots, it's going to be something rather special!

Thanks Tom,

I'm looking forward to seeing it. It'll be your editing which 'makes' it, not my videoing.

In a way, it's quite amusing. I keep on being asked when 'I'm' going to put more videos of LB on YouTube, As if! Though I've shot some moving footage, I haven't the least idea how to edit it, and have even less know-how on how to put it on YouTube!

It's just that, with the layout being effectively finished, it was worth producing another video, though it's only possible with help from the likes of your good-self. One thing I need to do is 'blank-out' the ends (with white sheeting), where shelves of spare locos are apparent. Once done, Corbs has offered to have a go at editing what I've taken as well.

Exciting times lie ahead.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

In my experience you need both good raw footage and good editing to get a great video. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the results of both here :)

No pressure then! :lol:

• Funny 3

My two penny worth about the photo of Merlin on the "Lizzie" . Looking at the loco exhaust I don't think the loco has stopped / broken down , as suggested , and that isn't a footplate man in the down road 6 foot necessarily , as someone said it's more likely a p/way inspector . And I don't think it out of place in 1960- ish to be walking in the six foot so long as he's facing oncoming traffic . As for the coal , well as TW said I believe , it wasn't unusual to have quite a lot of coal left in the tender on arrival at KX . Remember the non-stop engines were carefully selected , not long out of plant overhaul and tuned up to to be in tiptop condition , and I recall at Top Shed any big lumps of coal ware cracked when coaling up , and on preparation the fire built up well in the back corners and then the tender topped up again before leaving the shed . 

Regards , Roy .

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ROY@34F said:

My two penny worth about the photo of Merlin on the "Lizzie" . Looking at the loco exhaust I don't think the loco has stopped / broken down , as suggested , and that isn't a footplate man in the down road 6 foot necessarily , as someone said it's more likely a p/way inspector . And I don't think it out of place in 1960- ish to be walking in the six foot so long as he's facing oncoming traffic . As for the coal , well as TW said I believe , it wasn't unusual to have quite a lot of coal left in the tender on arrival at KX . Remember the non-stop engines were carefully selected , not long out of plant overhaul and tuned up to to be in tiptop condition , and I recall at Top Shed any big lumps of coal ware cracked when coaling up , and on preparation the fire built up well in the back corners and then the tender topped up again before leaving the shed . 

Regards , Roy .

I'm sure it's a typo above but the track inspector (if that's what he was) is walking in the "FOUR foot".  To properly see and inspect all fastenings, you really have to; at least he was facing any oncoming train.

When I did my first PTS over 20 years ago, my practical assessment was in Shoeburyness carriage sidings.  Immediately after I'd described a safe walking route from A to B, a train driver walked past and broke every single rule or good practice I had just described (stepping on rails/sleepers, walking round the end of a parked train onto a running line etc.).  Sometimes the experienced men are the ones who get too blase and have the accidents.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm sure it's a typo above but the track inspector (if that's what he was) is walking in the "FOUR foot".  To properly see and inspect all fastenings, you really have to; at least he was facing any oncoming train.

When I did my first PTS over 20 years ago, my practical assessment was in Shoeburyness carriage sidings.  Immediately after I'd described a safe walking route from A to B, a train driver walked past and broke every single rule or good practice I had just described (stepping on rails/sleepers, walking round the end of a parked train onto a running line etc.).  Sometimes the experienced men are the ones who get too blase and have the accidents.

Yes of course Northmoor , I should have said four foot . Thanks .

Roy.

4 hours ago, Clem said:

Beautiful!

Evening Clem,

I reprocessed one of the files off the camera. I'm much more happy with it now. It looks like a corrupt colour profile problem on the camera was causing a bit of bother, now sorted. Hopefully it still looks OK, as that is the model.

ECJS Clerestory BG.jpg

Edited by Headstock
off not of
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

1 minute ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clem,

I reprocessed one of the files of the camera. I'm much more happy with it now. It looks like a corrupt colour profile problem on the camera was causing a bit of bother, now sorted. Hopefully it still looks OK, as that is the model.

ECJS Clerestory BG.jpg

Perfect! It makes me want to give up...  and then think about it.... and then try harder! Very inspirational.

Andrew, I asked a question a while back about GC carriages in the early/mid 50s and you may have missed it. It's whether they were finished in teak or brown or crimson... or a mixture of both after overhaul. (Thinking of the non-gangwayed matchboard 60 footers). It's time I tried to add a bit more variation in my passenger stock. I wondered what your take on this is.

17 minutes ago, Clem said:

Perfect! It makes me want to give up...  and then think about it.... and then try harder! Very inspirational.

Andrew, I asked a question a while back about GC carriages in the early/mid 50s and you may have missed it. It's whether they were finished in teak or brown or crimson... or a mixture of both after overhaul. (Thinking of the non-gangwayed matchboard 60 footers). It's time I tried to add a bit more variation in my passenger stock. I wondered what your take on this is.

Sorry Clem,

I must have missed the original post. I'm not so sure about the painted brown but Coach use to see a lot of the 60' matchboard carriages around his area, He remembered them as being a weathered teak with the BR right hand end Gill sans numbering, he produced some lovely models. The 60' matchboard stock also received crimson, There are colour photographs of carriages in Gresley Thompson sets in that livery, Weathered teak and Crimson would be fine for your area. By the way, I know you are somewhere on the GN lines around Nottingham but where exactly, West, East etc? 

P.S. another type I'm keen to get hold of are the Gresleyfied exGC 9 compartment thirds.

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Headstock said:

P.S. another type I'm keen to get hold of are the Gresleyfied exGC 9 compartment thirds.

How were they Gresleyfied? Presumably Gresley bogies? what about angle iron trussing?

This came to mind. I think it's GC. The year is 1963. In departmental use.

61279_002.jpg.9328816c3f60cbbc76ba18a6ec96a2af.jpg

Edited by Clem
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I must have missed the original post. I'm not so sure about the painted brown but Coach use to see a lot of the 60' matchboard carriages around his area, He remembered them as a weathered teak with the BR right hand end Gill sans numbering. The 60' matchboard stock also received crimson, There are colour photographs of carriages in Gresley Thompson sets in that livery, Weathered teak and Crimson would be fine for your area. By the way, I know you are somewhere on the GN lines around Nottingham but where exactly, West, East etc? 

Thanks your take on GC carriages in the 50s. It matches what other folk have said. I'd like to have a go at doing one in teak. I've ordered a Bill Bedford one.

I'm modelling West of Nottingham. Fictional station between Basford and Kimberley. I regret not doing one of the stations or even Awsworth Juunction. But I'm too far down the road now.

9 minutes ago, Clem said:

How were they Gresleyfied? Presumably Gresley bogies? what about angle iron trussing?

This came to mind. I think it's GC. The year is 1963. In departmental use.

I thought about mentioning the black ones, but they were quite a bit later and only confuse the issue.  Incidentally, the GC and GE sections seemed to swap a lot of carriages for dept use. The Greslified thirds were dia. 58, they were 56'1/2'' stock, basically a stretched 9 compartment version of the 8 compartment third on a GC underframe. I have a photo somewhere but I can't find it at present. They were rebuilt from ex ambulance train carriages. They pop up quite a bit on photos even after they stopped appearing in the CWN's for my area. 

12 minutes ago, Clem said:

Thanks your take on GC carriages in the 50s. It matches what other folk have said. I'd like to have a go at doing one in teak. I've ordered a Bill Bedford one.

I'm modelling West of Nottingham. Fictional station between Basford and Kimberley. I regret not doing one of the stations or even Awsworth Juunction. But I'm too far down the road now.

So, Pinxton (my favourite mineral wagon) and Derby?

4 minutes ago, Headstock said:

The Greslified thirds were dia. 58, they were 56'1/2'' stock, basically a stretched 9 compartment version of the 8 compartment third on a GC underframe. I have a photo somewhere but I can't find it at present. They were rebuilt from ex ambulance train carriages. They pop up quite a bit on photos even after they stopped appearing in the CWN's for my area. 

Steve Banks did an article on the diagram 59 which was the BT(6) version of the 58. I was thinking of doing a 59 as they're pretty easy to knock up using Kirk carriages. BTW I'm doing a D246 at the moment. Still a lot of work to do on it yet but it's been an interesting kit bash....

IMG_5277_rdcd.jpg.3636441aa0cc05736ba2db5a1c54da8d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

9 minutes ago, Headstock said:

So, Pinxton (my favourite mineral wagon) and Derby?

Yep. Burton beer, Manchester goods, loads of coal and iron ore. Lots of mixed goods - K2, K3 hauled. Steel out of Stanton. You know much of the local passenger stock and then there's the East coast seaside excursions, not to mention the North Wales and even Alton Towers excursions.

haha! I'll never finish it!

Edited by Clem
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clem said:

Steve Banks did an article on the diagram 59 which was the BT(6) version of the 58. I was thinking of doing a 59 as they're pretty easy to knock up using Kirk carriages. BTW I'm doing a D246 at the moment. Still a lot of work to do on it yet but it's been an interesting kit bash....

IMG_5277_rdcd.jpg.3636441aa0cc05736ba2db5a1c54da8d.jpg

It looks a splendid job, Clem,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Clem said:

Yep. Burton beer, Manchester goods, loads of coal and iron ore. Lots of mixed goods - K2, K3 hauled. Steel out of Stanton. You know much of the local passenger stock and then there's the East coast seaside excursions, not to mention the North Wales and even Alton Towers excursions.

haha! I'll never finish it!

Too true,

did I mention the reverse guards compartment BT (5) and I'm sure I have a photo of an SR Maunsell set deparing Derby. Don't forget the pipes.

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Indeed!

I hope 'constructive criticism' is given once the DVD appears.

Regards,

Tony.

Good news, it will be on YouTube in the next half an hour.

50 minutes ago, Headstock said:

did I mention the reverse guards compartment BT (5) and I'm sure I have a photo of an SR Maunsell set deparing Derby. Don't forget the pipes.

Reverse guards compartment BT (5)  Diagram 62. High up on my prioiry list. I'll probably do another Kirk bash for it. I'd prefer to do it as a brass coach side etch but nobod does it as far as I know. Diagram 61 and Diagram 63 are also BT(5)s but with the guard's compartment in the usual place. That was another option.

The photo of the Maunsell set in Derby F. - I'd love to see that if you can find it. Pipes? Are you talking about the vac pipes on the sole bar below the step board?

It's funny. I have quite a lot of photos of Diagram 246s, but none of them give me a decent take on the detail of the carriage. From what I have, I've already found one error in the Isinglass drawing and I fear there may be more. Oh well. Best endeavours...

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Here is the latest Little Bytham video, filmed by @Tony Wright

Enjoy! (quality will improve as the video processes)

Just watched this. Excellent. Thank you both for making it available to us. One or two things occurred to me while watching this. My memory is not good for what happened yesterday, let alone sixty odd years ago, but my memory suggests that there was much more freight generally then, and though particular wagon types are not clear, one thing that always stood out to me when passing a freight train was the huge variety of heights of wagons. Most trains other than the obvious block trains appeared to consist of a complete jumble of vans, opens of a range of body heights, and other wagon types, giving a much greater range of 'ups and downs' when following the tops as the train passed. Is my memory mistaken, or do other geriatrics like me remember that?

The other thing that jumped out at me was following the telegraph wires as the sagged between each pair of poles, rising at the poles, giving a slightly hypnotic effect as you followed them up and down from a passing train. They were quite prominent. I presume that to model that would make access to the track, etc for any running repairs too difficult.

Thanks again for a wonderful video.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1